Mike Leach writes of firing in book

Pathetic. Court recordings from the depositions refute his claims. In fact his lawyers were using the school's own investigation to undermine Adam James' credibility. Leach is just trying to make some money but dug himself a bigger hole to get out of before he coaches at another FBS school. Completely sad that this guy is a talented coach but his huge ego and paranoia have absolutely killed his career.

Pathetic. Court recordings from the depositions refute his claims. In fact his lawyers were using the school's own investigation to undermine Adam James' credibility. Leach is just trying to make some money but dug himself a bigger hole to get out of before he coaches at another FBS school. Completely sad that this guy is a talented coach but his huge ego and paranoia have absolutely killed his career.

Wow! You are able to garner all that from a 300-word AP column-filler snippet that is barely longer than your own post? :worthy:

Wow! You are able to garner all that from a 300-word AP column-filler snippet that is barely longer than your own post? :worthy:

Nope, as I mentioned there were the court depositions and his entire history of quotes and press releases. Leach is pretty consistent. Much like yourself, so I realize this is all too difficult for you to comprehend.

Nope, as I mentioned there were the court depositions and his entire history of quotes and press releases. Leach is pretty consistent. Much like yourself, so I realize this is all too difficult for you to comprehend.

Ah, I see - if someone takes issue with your opinion, clearly they have comprehension problems. Thanks for that clarification.

I take it that you have read the book then? I also take it there are no court depositions that refute the claims of Adam James, [Texas Tech Chancellor] Kent Hance, or [athletic director] Gerald Myers, but rather that their entire versions of the events leading to Leach's dismissal are universally accepted without dispute by the courts, the Texas Tech community, and the entire college football world - and that, in the remote possibility that anyone in those circles might also take issue with your opinion, they too have comprehension problems?

Just a thought, but you might want to take a look in the mirror before commenting on Leach's or anyone's ego, and refrain from simplistic and childish retorts.

Edited by The Senator

Ah, I see - if someone takes issue with your opinion, clearly they have comprehension problems. Thanks for that clarification.

I take it that you have read the book then? I also take it there are no court depositions that refute the claims of Adam James, [Texas Tech Chancellor] Kent Hance, or [athletic director] Gerald Myers, but rather that their entire versions of the events is leading to Leach's dismissal are universally accepted without dispute by the courts, the Texas Tech community, and the entire college football world - and that, in the remote possibility that anyone in those circles might also take issue with your opinion, they too have comprehension problems?

Just a thought, but you might want to take a look in the mirror before commenting on Leach's or anyone's ego, and refrain from simplistic and childish retorts.

Usually, when there are two versions (perceptions) of a very muddled situation the truth lies in the middle of the competing views. As I have stated on prior postings regarding this topic the issue I have with Leach was that he acted as if he was the boss of the institution instead of a subordinate member of the institution, i.e. the university and athletic department.

Leach felt that he was absolutely right in this situation, so he wouldn't concede much. Sometimes you can be right and still be wrong in the way you address the issue from a stylistic approach.

Leach is now embroiled in a lawsuit. What has he gotten out of that legal entanglement? Until there is a final settlement it is doubtful that he will be hired by anyone. He would have been an intriquing hire for the University of Maryland when they had an opening, but they were not interested in hiring someone who is legally challenging the university and athletic department of his prior place of employment.

Sometimes the issue is not about who is right or wrong but about the way you go about your business. Leach acted as if he was the Big Sheriff. He was a little bit too consumed with himself. He actually was the deputy who was forced to turn his badge in.

The shame of the situatin is that Leach is one of the most innovative offensive coaches in college. In addition, his program had a very high graduation rate in a college system of academic fraud. For the most part his players were second tier recruits who weren't heavily recruited by the big time programs. Yet, he still was very successful.

Leach is currently in football limbo not because of what he did with a player but how he responded to a conflict.

THE only reason MIKE Leach isnt still the head coach of TECH STILL is poor little ADAM JAMES DADDY WORKS FOR espn .HE's A LITTLE BABY THAT SHOULDVE BEEN KICKED OFF THE TEAM when he started his BS instead of tolerated. LEACH didnt do anything a hundred other coaches have done and still do. maybe he should've played at CAL-BERKLEY. he more fitted to his backbone .

COULD YOU IMAGINE HIM TELLING coach Bryant or Woody Hayes I'M too tired to practice? MAYBE HIS DADDY can get him a job at espn as the sweeper

Usually, when there are two versions (perceptions) of a very muddled situation the truth lies in the middle of the competing views. As I have stated on prior postings regarding this topic the issue I have with Leach was that he acted as if he was the boss of the institution instead of a subordinate member of the institution, i.e. the university and athletic department.

Leach felt that he was absolutely right in this situation, so he wouldn't concede much. Sometimes you can be right and still be wrong in the way you address the issue from a stylistic approach.

Leach is now embroiled in a lawsuit. What has he gotten out of that legal entanglement? Until there is a final settlement it is doubtful that he will be hired by anyone. He would have been an intriquing hire for the University of Maryland when they had an opening, but they were not interested in hiring someone who is legally challenging the university and athletic department of his prior place of employment.

Sometimes the issue is not about who is right or wrong but about the way you go about your business. Leach acted as if he was the Big Sheriff. He was a little bit too consumed with himself. He actually was the deputy who was forced to turn his badge in.

The shame of the situatin is that Leach is one of the most innovative offensive coaches in college. In addition, his program had a very high graduation rate in a college system of academic fraud. For the most part his players were second tier recruits who weren't heavily recruited by the big time programs. Yet, he still was very successful.

Leach is currently in football limbo not because of what he did with a player but how he responded to a conflict.

I can respect that opinion, John, though I don't entirely agree with it.

You're right in that this was a clash of giant egos, further exacerbated by the fact that Leach & Co. bested Hance & Myers in contract negotiations. Quite clearly it was not about banishing Adam James to an equipment garage or locking him in a closet (which never happened), or otherwise mistreating his players - apparently Hance has no issues with his coaches mistreating their student-athletes...

A little more than a year later, Texas Tech would hire basketball coach Billy Gillispie, who once made one of his Kentucky players spend an entire halftime in a bathroom stall and then sent him home on the team equipment truck. Apparently in the eyes of the people in charge in Lubbock, one man's brutality is another man's motivational technique.

(from Sports Illustrated-Inside College Football-[link] Mike Leach, Coach in Exile, still biding his time in paradise)

Certainly Leach's current legal imbroglio with his former employer has caused potential employers to shy away from hiring him, but I don't see why Leach should back down if he did nothing wrong. It would have been great to see him land at Miami, or Maryland, but Leach will be coaching again just as soon as the case is settled - maybe sooner.

(Personally, I'd love to see what Leach could do with top recruits and a big money program like USC after Lane Kiffin gets canned - or moves on to greener pastures now that USC's program is in turmoil.)

Edited by The Senator

The shame of the situatin is that Leach is one of the most innovative offensive coaches in college.

Unless "innovation" now means "throws 62 times a game", I think no major program wanted him because they don't see themselves competing for a national championship with Leach's type of college ball.

An innovator would be a guy like Chip Kelly.

It's impossible for Craig James to EVER look like an even bigger douche than he already is and I say that without considering he played for the Pats.

When this is all said and done I predict James will lose his ESPN job and both the chancellor and AD will be dismissed from TTU.

If you go on a witch-hunt, make sure they aren't pirates in disguise.

GO BILLS!!!

Unless "innovation" now means "throws 62 times a game", I think no major program wanted him because they don't see themselves competing for a national championship with Leach's type of college ball.

uh...what did Chip Kelly innovate? How to pay for players and then lie about it? That's been a texas tradition perfected at SMU.

uh...what did Chip Kelly innovate? How to pay for players and then lie about it? That's been a texas tradition perfected at SMU.

I was referring, as you know, to Kelly's fast paced offense. You should also know that Kelly hasn't been accused of "paying for players".

Do better.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Leach's uqnigue type of offense stressing passing has been extremely successful. If you factor in that his program isn't studded with four star prospects then you would have to acknowledge that his program has been resoundingly successful. Ultimately, it isn't what style you play (offense or defense) that determines if you are successful, the measuring stick is your record.

"An innovator would be a guy like Chip Kelly."

The majority or at least a sizeable portion of Kelly's players would not academically qualify or retain eligibility to play at Texas Tech. Whatever you think of Leach he did a lot with less. That is tribute to his coaching ability.

The below quote was taken from an article by Rob Bellamy in Registerguard.com

"Oregons graduation success rate for football dropped to 49 percent for the latest four-year enrollment period, and its federal graduation rate dropped to 45 percent."

The below quote was taken from a Sally Jenkins's article from the Wash Post.

"More importantly, he's a serious, demanding educator whose team has a graduation rate of 79 percent, eighth best in the country and first in the Big 12 Conference. He trails only Notre Dame (94 percent), Stanford (93), Boston College (92), Duke (92), Northwestern (92), Vanderbilt (91) and Wake Forest (83) in turning out grads, while he also has made nine bowl appearances in nine years."
Edited by JohnC

(Personally, I'd love to see what Leach could do with top recruits and a big money program like USC after Lane Kiffin gets canned - or moves on to greener pastures now that USC's program is in turmoil.)

I certainly agree wth you that in the not too distant future the immature and conniving Kiffin will get himself fired or shipped out. I don't know how this fraud keeps getting jobs (Raiders, Vols and now USC). What the current AD Haden is not going to do is replace him with an independent and off the ranch type of HC. Leach is too much of a show for an AD who wants to stabilize the program.

I'm not saying that Leach couldn't succeed at USC because he definitely could do well in such a talent rich environment. But Pat Haden is not looking for an eccentric personality to take over a program troubled by transgressions and negative publicity.

I felt that the Maryland job would have been a perfect situation for him to get back into action and quickly elevate a program that has been in the doldrums. That wasn't going to happen while the legal game was going on.

Don't confine yourself to equating innovation with the simple act of throwing the ball. The innovation comes with the use of personnel, from formation to line splits to motion to pace and to everything else having to do with putting your players in a position to make plays, run or pass. The guy can flat out coach. Your opinion of him notwithstanding.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't confine yourself to equating innovation with the simple act of throwing the ball. The innovation comes with the use of personnel, from formation to line splits to motion to pace and to everything else having to do with putting your players in a position to make plays, run or pass. The guy can flat out coach. Your opinion of him notwithstanding.

GO BILLS!!!

None of his QBs find success in the NFL. They simply aren't well prepared, despite their gaudy numbers, for the complexity of the game. Leach was fine for TT.

Hate to say it, but big football programs aren't interested in a 79 percent graduation rate. I doubt Leach would change his game at such a school anyway. He played the same way year after year no matter what players he had. And TT is still getting some "4 star recruits". This year they already have 3 of the ESPN top 150.

None of his QBs find success in the NFL. They simply aren't well prepared, despite their gaudy numbers, for the complexity of the game. Leach was fine for TT.

Hate to say it, but big football programs aren't interested in a 79 percent graduation rate. I doubt Leach would change his game at such a school anyway. He played the same way year after year no matter what players he had. And TT is still getting some "4 star recruits". This year they already have 3 of the ESPN top 150.

So the measure of a good college coach is whether or not his QBs find success in the NFL? Absurd. Like you said, Leach was fine for TT and, based on that, would be fine for other college programs.

It doesn't matter if big football programs aren't interested in a high graduation rate. That's nothing new. The key is that, like some of the biggest college programs in the country, Leach enjoyed success on the field AND having his players graduate. You make it sound like it's a negative aspect of his coaching experience. Imagine, college football players that actually play well, win, AND graduate. That Leach is a bastard, isn't he?

Yes, he played the same way year after year and had winning seasons year after year. Isn't that the mark of a good coach? Not sure where you're going with that remark.

GO BILLS!!!