Free Agency Firestorm

Forgive me if I don't understand, but any UFA can be signed at any time, outside this lockout. I don't understand the short window idea, minus you want guys into camp and such.... Am I missing something?

They can be signed anytime, but each team will want 90 players when they go to camp. Which means they will have probably less than two weeks to grab roughly 40 players. because right now, now team has anything close to 90 players under contract. The most they can have is 53, and I don't think any team has 100% of last years players under contract.

If they want 90 players by training camp, they have to sign players fast. And I am sure trying to sign the rookies is going to make things even harder to sign FA faster.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can be signed anytime, but each team will want 90 players when they go to camp. Which means they will have probably less than two weeks to grab roughly 40 players. because right now, now team has anything close to 90 players under contract. The most they can have is 53, and I don't think any team has 100% of last years players under contract.

If they want 90 players by training camp, they have to sign players fast. And I am sure trying to sign the rookies is going to make things even harder to sign FA faster.

Right, but with futures contracts, practice squad, drafted guys (which yes need deals but 95% should be easy) you are much closer. The way the discussion read was as if it was sign then by the date, or live without. You could walk in a few shy on day one and it's not a big deal. Still hectic though.

What the Bills HAVE to address in FA is backup QB. They can live without OL and TE, but there is no experienced B/U QB on the team right now. Plus, the FO has said they will be adding one to the roster. I hope that they make B/U QB the top priority once FA opens up.

No, they really cannot. The only way for the Bills to be competitive this season is to find a right tackle, and hopefully a tight end.

I think that the defense will be better, but it might take a few games. Maybe half a season. They will need to score points early on, and they haven't been able to do so because of their perpetually weak OL. TE? We haven't had a good one since Pete Metz.

The above is not to downplay the need for a backup qb. It's a shame that they shunned Ryan Mallett.

Right, but with futures contracts, practice squad, drafted guys (which yes need deals but 95% should be easy) you are much closer. The way the discussion read was as if it was sign then by the date, or live without. You could walk in a few shy on day one and it's not a big deal. Still hectic though.

Well, the "sign quickly or live without" type of attitude is, all the other teams are going to be signing players fast as well. So if you don't sign the player quickly, they will most likely go to another team, and once that happens, you can't sign them. I don't think a lot of players are going to wait until after camp starts to sign with a team. That one week window is probably when more than 80% of the free agents disappear.

This is going to be a very unusual free agency. There's a lot of speculation that all teams will be required to spend at least 90% of a record-high cap. And free agency is obviously starting late and will close quickly. Truckloads of money are going to be spent fast and furiously.

Anyone care to guess how this will play out for the Bills? Will we ink some mega-deals? Will Nix take a more conservative approach? Who might we sign?

(JW ~ if you're out there, I'd love to learn your opinion).

it will be an interesting -- fast and furious -- free agency period, with most of the free agents (top-ranked and middle-ranked and little-ranked) signed extremely quickly, given that teams will ahve to move quickly in gearing up for start of training camps.

i'm sure all teams already have a strategy in place as to how they'll approach free agency.

i don't foresee the Bills being big players in free agency. it'll be more of the same of last year, where they'll attempt to plug holes with compartively modest offers -- see Dwan Edwards, Andra Davis, Torbor.

there's a lot of interest on both sides to re-sign Posluszny. and Pos is very interested in coming back to Buffalo (note that the AP wrote about this back in March). i do believe that Nix is serious about re-signing Drayton Florence. my question is how competitive they'll be because i would believe he'll get more than a couple of offers.

i see the Bills targeting their O-line and DBs, maybe even a tight end, and of course a backup QB (stress backup: as i believe Chan is serious about going with Ryan Fitzpatrick as his starter this season. and that should be the right move, given that Fitzpatrick knows the system, is comfortable with the players. making a qb switch at this point, would be severely detrimental.)

jw

No, they really cannot. The only way for the Bills to be competitive this season is to find a right tackle, and hopefully a tight end.

I think that the defense will be better, but it might take a few games. Maybe half a season. They will need to score points early on, and they haven't been able to do so because of their perpetually weak OL. TE? We haven't had a good one since Pete Metz.

The above is not to downplay the need for a backup qb. It's a shame that they shunned Ryan Mallett.

I kind of agree with this. The offense did a really good job with the spread formations last year, but that won't last. We need to start running plays with 1 or 2 TE sets if for no other reason than to mix things up. TE, I believe is the most critical position, because he can be used as an additional blocker or as a receiver. This adds to your ability to disguise your play. Tackle appears to be more of a minor depth problem but still a problem. A good TE can also help your tackles better than say a running back. I just dont buy this Chan doesn't use TEs crap. Ridiculous.

I would prioritize this way....

TE

backup QB

OL

SS if Whitner is gone.

Edited by Rockinon

Forgive me if I don't understand, but any UFA can be signed at any time, outside this lockout. I don't understand the short window idea, minus you want guys into camp and such.... Am I missing something?

With UFAs, no, I do not think so. They can sign anytime, once it opens. Obviously, sooner is better. The real key according to what I heard is that free agency will open with undrafted free agents, then on 7/25, teams will have an exclusive opportunity to resign their own free agents, through 7/27, then on 7/28 they are completely unrestricted. This gives the Bills a short window to resign Poz and Florence before crazy offers start coming in. We will see pretty quickly whether they want to be here or not, and whether the Bills are anxious to keep them or not. I would think so, at least in Poz's case. It will be a feeding frenzy on 7/28.

Edited by MDFan

Fish,

The only reason why I put OL before backup QB is that we have a legit chance to get a decent starter at the RT spot with a about 4 good ones on the market.

I like Hairston....but dont want to force him in at RT. A guy like Booth, Clabo, or Trueblood would look pretty good on our RT spot.

But hes.....we HAVE to get a backup QB. I am hopeing the bills already have identified a few players there.

I'm all for upgrading the OL. I just meant in terms of possible season-wrecking scenarios, B/U QB is a show stopper. Not that even an experienced FA QB with zero experience in the Bills offense is likely to lead us to the playoffs.....

I'm sure Nix & Gailey have a few QB's pinned on the war board. OL candidates too.

Man, I am SO ready for something.....anything...... to get started.

Beg your pardon, but if Fitz goes down, who is coming in to QB this team? A RT is not going to magically make the Bills competitive. And we haven't had a TE who was anything other than a sham decoy since the position was practically created. It would certainly help if we had a good RT and TE, no argument there.

However, my perspective here is if Fitz goes down for more than 1 game, we're in the offensive crapper. As of now, if we lose an OL or TE, we plug in another stiff, the same way we've been plugging in OL and TE stiffs for the past decade. The drop off between starting and backup OL and TE is almost negligible. The drop off between Fitz and the backup QB is off the cliff.

it will be an interesting -- fast and furious -- free agency period, with most of the free agents (top-ranked and middle-ranked and little-ranked) signed extremely quickly, given that teams will ahve to move quickly in gearing up for start of training camps.

i'm sure all teams already have a strategy in place as to how they'll approach free agency.

i don't foresee the Bills being big players in free agency. it'll be more of the same of last year, where they'll attempt to plug holes with compartively modest offers -- see Dwan Edwards, Andra Davis, Torbor.

there's a lot of interest on both sides to re-sign Posluszny. and Pos is very interested in coming back to Buffalo (note that the AP wrote about this back in March). i do believe that Nix is serious about re-signing Drayton Florence. my question is how competitive they'll be because i would believe he'll get more than a couple of offers.

i see the Bills targeting their O-line and DBs, maybe even a tight end, and of course a backup QB (stress backup: as i believe Chan is serious about going with Ryan Fitzpatrick as his starter this season. and that should be the right move, given that Fitzpatrick knows the system, is comfortable with the players. making a qb switch at this point, would be severely detrimental.)

jw

From a perspective of a backup player having to come in and deliver, none is more important than QB. We all saw what happened when Levi and Brohm took the field. I'm not saying that the other positions mentioned are unimportant, nor do I think that whoever Nix and Gailey target for B/U QB is going to even remotely challenge Fitz for the starting role. But not having a bona fide QB is like driving from Buffalo to LA without a spare tire: fine as long as you don't need it.

Beg your pardon, but if Fitz goes down, who is coming in to QB this team? A RT is not going to magically make the Bills competitive. And we haven't had a TE who was anything other than a sham decoy since the position was practically created. It would certainly help if we had a good RT and TE, no argument there.

However, my perspective here is if Fitz goes down for more than 1 game, we're in the offensive crapper. As of now, if we lose an OL or TE, we plug in another stiff, the same way we've been plugging in OL and TE stiffs for the past decade. The drop off between starting and backup OL and TE is almost negligible. The drop off between Fitz and the backup QB is off the cliff.

Well I think it's pretty much a 'given' that Nix/Gailey will be addressing the QB situation, as we only have Fitz and Levi Brown under contract when camp opens 2 weeks from Friday, and Nix has already said that we'll have 3 or even 4 QBs when camp starts.

It'll be interesting to see what for #1 over-all pick Alex Smith does if the 49ers only offer a 1-year deal. Green Bay signing Graham Harrell for 2 years probably makes Matt Flynn available for a mid-to-late round draft pick - GB usually only carries 2 QBs. Seneca Wallace is probably a capable backup in a pinch. Likewise with Bruce Gradkowski, a name that would certainly play well here in The BuffTown.

Then there's the whole UFA market - Scott Tolzein (Wisconsin), Paul Devlin (Delaware), Jerrod Johnson (Texas A&M), Adam Weber (Minnesota), and (my choice) Taylor Potts - who was, naturally, developed by that offensive genius...

Mike Leach

I'm not at all worried about the QB situation, probably because we all know Nix is aware if it and will address it.

So it's natural, I think, to worry more about the lack of a proven TE, a quality starting RT, and O-line depth.

19 and 0 baby!!!

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

I'm all for upgrading the OL. I just meant in terms of possible season-wrecking scenarios, B/U QB is a show stopper. Not that even an experienced FA QB with zero experience in the Bills offense is likely to lead us to the playoffs.....

I'm sure Nix & Gailey have a few QB's pinned on the war board. OL candidates too.

Man, I am SO ready for something.....anything...... to get started.

how is backup QB a show stopper?

with the mighty Fitz at QB, they won a whopping 4 games

if he gets hurt, how many fewer games will they win?

maybe enough to get back into the Andrew Luck sweepstakes

jw

JW, it's always a pleasure having you here. Hope those who use boards like this to vent their pent up aggression never drive you away.

I'm curious to learn what the new cap will be and whether or not there will be a spending floor. If so - depending on the numbers - the Bills might be required to make a big name signing just to meet the minimum payroll requirement. Of course, your projected shopping list (OL, DB, TE, backup QB) is pretty extensive and cumulatively could come out to a fair amount of money if all these wants are covered (especially since the Bills are a cash-to-cap franchise).

JW, it's always a pleasure having you here. Hope those who use boards like this to vent their pent up aggression never drive you away.

I'm curious to learn what the new cap will be and whether or not there will be a spending floor. If so - depending on the numbers - the Bills might be required to make a big name signing just to meet the minimum payroll requirement. Of course, your projected shopping list (OL, DB, TE, backup QB) is pretty extensive and cumulatively could come out to a fair amount of money if all these wants are covered (especially since the Bills are a cash-to-cap franchise).

It is looking like 90% of the cap. If I remember correct buffalo tends to spend atleast mid 80s. Spreading about an extra 5 mill across a 53 man roster may not even be noticeable.

It is looking like 90% of the cap. If I remember correct buffalo tends to spend atleast mid 80s. Spreading about an extra 5 mill across a 53 man roster may not even be noticeable.

Yep.

The numbers that have come out are somewhere from 90-95% of the ceiling. The other variable that everyone seems to overlook is that there will be new rules regarding dead money and amortization of dead money.

I don't know the before and after of the Bills cap situation but there is a scenario out there that the biggest free agent signing for the Bills in 2011 is re-signing Poz or Florence.

Hello dreamers, wake up!

This is the same GM that boldly stated he was going to get some sleep last year when free agency opened, and the result of that was FA-RT Cornell Green along with no adequate backup. Nix has stated he doesn't like to build thru free agency, so putting your hopes into a FA LT-RT-C-OLB-QB is pointless with this GM.

This same GM knowing his team was switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 decided to bring in below avg talent at LB and the result was the worst defense ever fielded by a Buffalo Bills team against the run. Now Nix is putting all his eggs in an oft injured pro bowler OLB making a comeback to pro bowl form. there was a reason why SD let him walk.

Why has this team retained guys like Aaron Maybin- John McCargo who have shown nothing and probably never will. Is this the way the team now functions, draft and obtain players and if they suck ....keep them and pay them anyway?

Looking at this GM and his ability to judge talent after that Green acquisition.... I question his ability to properly evaluate any player at any position. Guys, don't hold your breath hoping for these two bumbling old fools to build a team properly. If anything, pray that Fitz can stay healthy or its Andrew luck time.

Pain & Patience, right Ralph!... Whats sad is that so many here seem to think Nix & Gailey are the answer...when was the last time you scraped a garbage can and found anything of value?

P.S. I would really like to post something positive about this current team and its staff, its just that it reminds me so much of the -1984-85 Bills teams with "Mr nice guy" Kay Stephenson as HC. To be honest that 84-85 staff was way better at evaluating talent. The only positive move I've seen in the last 2 years was drafting of MD, who could be another Suh. The current problem is... I can only hope this staff doesn't find a way to somehow ruin him, seriously injure him or make him unhappy to be a Buffalo Bill.

Edited by Harvey lives

how is backup QB a show stopper?

with the mighty Fitz at QB, they won a whopping 4 games

if he gets hurt, how many fewer games will they win?

maybe enough to get back into the Andrew Luck sweepstakes

Can't really argue with that, Spart. We're all hoping that the mighty Fitz will be 2-3 times mightier this season.

Well I think it's pretty much a 'given' that Nix/Gailey will be addressing the QB situation, as we only have Fitz and Levi Brown under contract when camp opens 2 weeks from Friday, and Nix has already said that we'll have 3 or even 4 QBs when camp starts.

It'll be interesting to see what for #1 over-all pick Alex Smith does if the 49ers only offer a 1-year deal. Green Bay signing Graham Harrell for 2 years probably makes Matt Flynn available for a mid-to-late round draft pick - GB usually only carries 2 QBs. Seneca Wallace is probably a capable backup in a pinch. Likewise with Bruce Gradkowski, a name that would certainly play well here in The BuffTown.

Then there's the whole UFA market - Scott Tolzein (Wisconsin), Paul Devlin (Delaware), Jerrod Johnson (Texas A&M), Adam Weber (Minnesota), and (my choice) Taylor Potts - who was, naturally, developed by that offensive genius...

Mike Leach

I'm not at all worried about the QB situation, probably because we all know Nix is aware if it and will address it.

So it's natural, I think, to worry more about the lack of a proven TE, a quality starting RT, and O-line depth.

19 and 0 baby!!!

A Leatch nod and an undeafeated season prediction? We MUST be getting close to some football! :thumbsup:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! B-)

Making sweeping generalizations about markets is ridiculous.

An unnamed GM who spoke with SI's Don Banks said:

"Because when you go back over the history of free agency, it rarely works out with the big-money guys. Just look at the last five years or so, with Albert Haynesworth, Joey Porter or Terrell Owens.”

Yeah no shyt moron. The thing is, only an idiot would have thought that those were good signings before they were made.

Big money should and will go to top talents that are still relatively young, and have zero character or injury concerns. Look for Zach Miller and Kevin Boss to rightly receive big paydays… likely becoming the top paid tight ends in the NFL. Barring an unforeseen injury, there is zero risk to signing guys like Miller and Boss.

You don't think either/both of them won't be worth more than the $9 million average that Lee Evans is getting?

Then there's another tier of players that are very talented and will still get big money but will be viewed as risks by many due to age/injury and/or character issues.

It's not that complex and it's not that hard to figure out which free agents will be good acquisitions and which won't, IMO.

Free agency success is much more predictable than draft pick success because the players have an NFL track record.

Case by case basis. It's not that complex.

I know it wasn't your original statement, but going back five seasons, the signing of Joey Porter was a pretty good one by Miami. Three seasons, 32 sacks, including 17.5 in one season.