Prisco's top 50 FAs...15. Paul Posluszny

This says it all right here;

"When the free-agency window opens, hold on for a wild ride. Good teams, with good general managers, will strike early and often. Those not prepared will get left in the dust. "

I don't know why the FO insists on only building through the draft when all avenues should be used to improve the team. Low level scrubs don't count as using free agency, we need real talent or don't bother at all.

As far as Poz goes he would be a great player if he had some nasty in him and leveled opposing players instead grab and pull them down. I think we should keep him but wont be surprised if Chris White takes over in a couple of years. That kid is a killer and loves laying dudes out and is a great hidden gem we drafted.

LT Doug Free, RT Tyson Clabo ... do it Buddy.

I agree with you BB. If it isn't a top flight player, then don't bother. We need to grab a versitile RT and a TE. Its two positions to make our O complete imho. So we grab two of the best at those positions and make it happen.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of posts got me thinking... ouch... no, kidding. We're talking about building through the draft, and not using free agency, or using free agency. Well, you've got to build a team through the draft, because that is where you can pick up ten to fifteen new players a year who are physically, mentally, and attitude-wise the way you want them, players in the mold you want, and ideally, over three to four years, you have brought in enough of those guys to have a team that is competitive. That's starting from scratch. Gailey and Buddy came into a team that were in "rebuild" mode for 10 years. So, unless the team was totally different than what they envision a team to be, they shouldn't have to replace the whole squad. Yet, it seems like they almost are planning on that. Let's see, they keep Fred Jackson, but draft his eventual replacement, they keep the line from bell through to RT, and they bring in a bunch of WR's. They keep K. Williams, but bring in a new D-line, mostly. They keep Poz (We'll see for how long) and bring in new LB's - hopefully getting rid of Kelsay. The secondary? They've already drafted a safety and a corner... so, I'd say they're only replacing one half of the roster, to get it to competitive, play-off caliber football.

But the one half? A QB - two years, and not yet. Potentially a LT, and cerainly a RT. OLB's - that is also a big time position. Some of the biggest positions are left open.

Now, looking at who they brought in in F.A., and how much they played, or how effective they were last year. Here is the question, really (and, I think, Nix's weak point as a General Manager - because I really like his drafting, and his "mold" or what he envisions a team to be) of those F.A. aquisitions last year, that should have moved this team toward the WE'RE FINALLY READY TO COMPETE FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP level, we paid out how much money to guys that didn't even end up playing, or guys that could as easily been replaced by UDFA's. Cornell Green, Dwan Edwards, Merriman, and the plethora of linebackers that came in and went down... I'm not saying we shouldn't bring in F.A.'s, but what I am saying is if we're going to bring them in, and if our goal is to get great as soon as possible without jeopardizing the quality of the makeup of the team, then why bring in and spend precious money on guys like that, who don't even end up making a difference? I bet we spent somewhere near 12-15 million dollars last year on players that didn't positively effect the outcome of our games.

A good GM can build through the draft, and must do so. But the Great GM's build through the draft, and they isolate F.A.'s before they're in their prime, and bring them in. They don't go out and pay guys like Cornell Green 3+ million dollars to sit on the bench.

A couple of posts got me thinking... ouch... no, kidding. We're talking about building through the draft, and not using free agency, or using free agency. Well, you've got to build a team through the draft, because that is where you can pick up ten to fifteen new players a year who are physically, mentally, and attitude-wise the way you want them, players in the mold you want, and ideally, over three to four years, you have brought in enough of those guys to have a team that is competitive. That's starting from scratch. Gailey and Buddy came into a team that were in "rebuild" mode for 10 years. So, unless the team was totally different than what they envision a team to be, they shouldn't have to replace the whole squad. Yet, it seems like they almost are planning on that. Let's see, they keep Fred Jackson, but draft his eventual replacement, they keep the line from bell through to RT, and they bring in a bunch of WR's. They keep K. Williams, but bring in a new D-line, mostly. They keep Poz (We'll see for how long) and bring in new LB's - hopefully getting rid of Kelsay. The secondary? They've already drafted a safety and a corner... so, I'd say they're only replacing one half of the roster, to get it to competitive, play-off caliber football.

But the one half? A QB - two years, and not yet. Potentially a LT, and cerainly a RT. OLB's - that is also a big time position. Some of the biggest positions are left open.

Now, looking at who they brought in in F.A., and how much they played, or how effective they were last year. Here is the question, really (and, I think, Nix's weak point as a General Manager - because I really like his drafting, and his "mold" or what he envisions a team to be) of those F.A. aquisitions last year, that should have moved this team toward the WE'RE FINALLY READY TO COMPETE FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP level, we paid out how much money to guys that didn't even end up playing, or guys that could as easily been replaced by UDFA's. Cornell Green, Dwan Edwards, Merriman, and the plethora of linebackers that came in and went down... I'm not saying we shouldn't bring in F.A.'s, but what I am saying is if we're going to bring them in, and if our goal is to get great as soon as possible without jeopardizing the quality of the makeup of the team, then why bring in and spend precious money on guys like that, who don't even end up making a difference? I bet we spent somewhere near 12-15 million dollars last year on players that didn't positively effect the outcome of our games.

A good GM can build through the draft, and must do so. But the Great GM's build through the draft, and they isolate F.A.'s before they're in their prime, and bring them in. They don't go out and pay guys like Cornell Green 3+ million dollars to sit on the bench.

Cornell Green wasn't even good enough to sit on the bench :oops:

There is an additional aspect to this though...When all things are said and done and a labor deal is stuck, there will be a huge gap between the rich and poor teams and the poor teams will not be able to compete in that environment. The fact that there are less than 9 such teams means the league owners will be able to vote for whatever deal they strike and the Krafts and Jones will get what they want leaving the Browns and Wilsons as door mats...The Bills in this scenario will not be able to strike it against any of these top FAs...Something to keep in mind.

No matter what deal is struck it will have little influence in the way the Bills approach free agency. As a practice, especially now, they will not get involved with elite free agent prospects. I'm not criticizing their approach because a lot of upper echelon mid-market teams have the same approach, such as the Steelers and Packers.

The CBA deal that is currently being worked on will not be much different in player revenue percentage take than in the prior deal. One major difference would be that the new deal will compel bottom feeding teams such as the Bills and Bengals to spend closer to the cap figure rather than maneuver their way around towards the floor of the cap.

This says it all right here;

"When the free-agency window opens, hold on for a wild ride. Good teams, with good general managers, will strike early and often. Those not prepared will get left in the dust. "

I don't know why the FO insists on only building through the draft when all avenues should be used to improve the team. Low level scrubs don't count as using free agency, we need real talent or don't bother at all.

As far as Poz goes he would be a great player if he had some nasty in him and leveled opposing players instead grab and pull them down. I think we should keep him but wont be surprised if Chris White takes over in a couple of years. That kid is a killer and loves laying dudes out and is a great hidden gem we drafted.

LT Doug Free, RT Tyson Clabo ... do it Buddy.

You basing this off all the youtube clips you saw? :rolleyes:

You've never seen this kid play and you're already labeling him a hidden gem. Some people make me laugh. :doh:

Poz and Drayton will be resigned, they will get Miller or nobody at all at TE (not much to choose from here), an offensive tackle (I'm hoping Clabo or Brown), and a backup QB in free agency as soon as it opens. I don't think Channix will ignore free agency but instead will try to get the best guys at positions of need that they can. I'm just not thrilled with who they have to pick from at all.

I'm not sure I agree with that--there's also Boss from the NYG, Bo Scaife of the Titans and Matt Spaeth of the Steelers, any one of whom would instantly upgrade us at that spot (since we're starting from such a low point admittedly.) Personally, my dream offseason is re-signing Poz and Florence, letting Donte walk, and then signing any of Claybo, Yanda, Gaither, Bushrod or Jammal Brown at T and one of the aforementioned TE's. If we can do that, I honestly think we've got a shot at being competitive this year (i.e., at about .500) even with out tough schedule. Throw in another decent FA LB and I'd say we should be at .500 or better. Rose colored glasses? Perhaps.....

I dont understand why a team that is using 4 and 5 WR sets most of the time has fans DYING for a TE. Chan doesn't use one. So he won't go get one. Let it go.

You might be jumping to conclusions.

Gailey used a tight end when he had Tony Gonzales in Kansas City.

And he said they were looking at Lance Kendricks in the draft but didn't want to reach for him… and he was gone at their next pick.

Maybe if he had one he'd use one?

I dont understand why a team that is using 4 and 5 WR sets most of the time has fans DYING for a TE. Chan doesn't use one. So he won't go get one. Let it go.

think spiller/jackson - you can put him in the backfield and run, or split him wide and go 4-5 wide.... versatility without changing personnel. add a TE that is good recieving and blocking, with spiller in the back field....

you bring out a small defense to defend the pass, and they can line up and run, or vice versa without changing personnel.

sounds a lot like an offense an innovative mind would want to run eh?

and again, everyone forgets that DWAN EDWARDS WAS A TOP FLIGHT 34 DEFENSIVE END. They have had one season of free agency and they brought in the top 34 end, several vet linebackers (including a potential gamechanger in merriman).... yes they flopped with cornell green but how many starters would they have had to bring in for people to accept that we will be active in free agency but likely not in the order of $15million a year deals.

This isnt going back to previous regimes and talking about guys like dockery or spikes or spielman... as the one poster reference.... this is this regimes track record.

Edited by NoSaint

You basing this off all the youtube clips you saw? :rolleyes:

You've never seen this kid play and you're already labeling him a hidden gem. Some people make me laugh. :doh:

Never saw him on youtube genius, I actually watched him play whole games last year, maybe if you did you would know if guys can play or not. :oops:

You might be jumping to conclusions.

Gailey used a tight end when he had Tony Gonzales in Kansas City.

And he said they were looking at Lance Kendricks in the draft but didn't want to reach for him… and he was gone at their next pick.

Maybe if he had one he'd use one?

I think Buffalo has the TE position prioritized lower than many other teams. And so far, they haven't made much attempt at finding a guy who is anything but another blocker.

If they don't sign a TE who can block and receive in UFA this year, it tells me they're not concerned with improving the position. Chalk it up to the shortcoming at OT, or rebuilding last season, whatever. Most playoff caliber teams feature a TE who can make plays in the passing game and the Bills don't.

Besides, if any of us were coordinating the KC offense in 2008, I think we'd use Tony Gonzalez as often as possible. That's a no-brainer.

I think Buffalo has the TE position prioritized lower than many other teams. And so far, they haven't made much attempt at finding a guy who is anything but another blocker.

If they don't sign a TE who can block and receive in UFA this year, it tells me they're not concerned with improving the position. Chalk it up to the shortcoming at OT, or rebuilding last season, whatever. Most playoff caliber teams feature a TE who can make plays in the passing game and the Bills don't.

Besides, if any of us were coordinating the KC offense in 2008, I think we'd use Tony Gonzalez as often as possible. That's a no-brainer.

when turning over nearly the entire roster, you cant address every position in one offseason. if they dont atleast aggressively pursue a couple of the FA's this year i will be surprised, as it is such a hugely deep class of talented guys.

and most playoff teams feature a lot of things we dont still.

time will tell, i suppose.

Never saw him on youtube genius, I actually watched him play whole games last year, maybe if you did you would know if guys can play or not. :oops:

Sure you did. This guy will be nothing more than a backup LB and a special teams player. If he does start he'll be average at best. Just like the other white LB we have on our team. Poz. :thumbdown:

Good post.

When Nix took over, what kind of roster did he have to work with? I'd divide that roster into two categories: 1) players who represented good, long-term answers at their respective positions, and 2) everyone else. Only players in the first category have much relevance to a long-term rebuilding plan.

For the defensive front-7, the category 1) players Nix had to work with consisted of Kyle Williams and Poz. Everyone else was either nearing retirement, not very good in the first place, or both. In the defensive secondary, Nix had some players who were getting on in years (McGee and Florence), some question mark players (McKelvin), and some reasonably good long-term options at safety. McKelvin hasn't turned into a category 1 player, so you're basically left with guys like George Wilson, Byrd, and so forth as your category 1.

On the OL, the category 1 players Nix inherited consist of Levitre and Wood, and probably not a whole lot else. No category 1 players at QB--Fitz is not the long-term answer--and you could even make the argument that Gailey didn't necessarily inherit any category 1 players at RB either. Fred Jackson is getting on in years, and Lynch proved to be worth no more than a 4th + 6th in a trade. I'm not justifying the Spiller selection here--the Bills had far more critical needs--but it's important not to overstate the long-term value of the RBs Nix inherited. With Lee Evans not getting any younger, the only category 1 WR or TE Nix inherited was Steve Johnson.

To sum up, the category 1 Nix inherited consisted of a DT, a MLB, two interior OL, a WR, and maybe some safeties. That's it! Not a single premium position is represented in that mix. While Nix inherited few enough category 1 players to begin with, a lot of the category 1 he inherited is well below the superstar level. It's quite possible Nix gained almost as much category 1 talent in this most recent draft as he inherited from his predecessors! His position wasn't that much different than someone who's put in charge of an expansion team.

Good post.

When Nix took over, what kind of roster did he have to work with? I'd divide that roster into two categories: 1) players who represented good, long-term answers at their respective positions, and 2) everyone else. Only players in the first category have much relevance to a long-term rebuilding plan.

For the defensive front-7, the category 1) players Nix had to work with consisted of Kyle Williams and Poz. Everyone else was either nearing retirement, not very good in the first place, or both. In the defensive secondary, Nix had some players who were getting on in years (McGee and Florence), some question mark players (McKelvin), and some reasonably good long-term options at safety. McKelvin hasn't turned into a category 1 player, so you're basically left with guys like George Wilson, Byrd, and so forth as your category 1.

On the OL, the category 1 players Nix inherited consist of Levitre and Wood, and probably not a whole lot else. No category 1 players at QB--Fitz is not the long-term answer--and you could even make the argument that Gailey didn't necessarily inherit any category 1 players at RB either. Fred Jackson is getting on in years, and Lynch proved to be worth no more than a 4th + 6th in a trade. I'm not justifying the Spiller selection here--the Bills had far more critical needs--but it's important not to overstate the long-term value of the RBs Nix inherited. With Lee Evans not getting any younger, the only category 1 WR or TE Nix inherited was Steve Johnson.

To sum up, the category 1 Nix inherited consisted of a DT, a MLB, two interior OL, a WR, and maybe some safeties. That's it! Not a single premium position is represented in that mix. While Nix inherited few enough category 1 players to begin with, a lot of the category 1 he inherited is well below the superstar level. It's quite possible Nix gained almost as much category 1 talent in this most recent draft as he inherited from his predecessors! His position wasn't that much different than someone who's put in charge of an expansion team.

My problem is that Nix inherited 4-6 Category1 players and yet couldn't convert even one of his 8 draft picks in year 1 to a category 1 player. Spiller was a huge question mark. The rest of the guys couldn't even break the starting line up in spite of all those non-category 1 players....

The biggest problem Nix and Co are dealing with is that they inherited a roster that is not suited for the style of football they want to play.. As Nix stated, they wanted bigger and stronger men, whereas the previous regime has been all about small and fast...To make it worse, the Bills went for a 3-4 defensive scheme (at least that is what they practised until training camp)..This is where my problem comes...Nix needs to adapt and not restart the whole process...As a bills fan, I don't want to be in a constant rebuilding mode...I want to use my existing drafted roster and play football...and I don't want to keep searching for that 5th to 7th round gems or UDFA hidden superstars...We need to make our 1st to 4th round draft picks count....and be those category 1 players.

I think our team will be more competitive this year than people might think. I believe we'll be hovering around .500 in either direction, unless the long lockout really takes a toll on getting our young squad up to speed. But, I like where we're at, and I think we have young talent that is flying under the radar nationally speaking, and that young talent is capable of being as good as some other team's more recognized talent, which in sum gives us a better squad than our record of last year would suggest we now have.

Our D-line, I believe, is set to be one of the leagues younger, better ones. Our secondary is, I'd say, in the upper half of the league. Our linebacking corps is young and I think is where we'll see what we have this year, but Moats, Coleman, Batten, and White might prove to be capable. On offense, I think our recieving corps is top ten in the league. We might have the worst TE situation, and our tackles aren't that good, either. But our interior O-line and running back situation is upper half of league. Our QB, well, that will be determined this year, but I think Fitz will end up in the upper half of the league in stats.

So, Nix and Co. are on their way with the rebuild, and I believe he'll keep us improving with each draft, but, I just would like to see the free agents we bring in be actually helping us get to where we want to be, and not just filling holes - that seems to be a waste of money. I agree with what others have said, a TE and a RT will make us set to make the tansition into respectability. We might be there by the years end either way, because this team was playing good football the last half of last year, and they'll be older, more mature, more experienced with the system, and we brought in some good young talent in this draft, which I think will prove to be one of our best, and one of the best of this year's teams.

My problem is that Nix inherited 4-6 Category1 players and yet couldn't convert even one of his 8 draft picks in year 1 to a category 1 player. Spiller was a huge question mark. The rest of the guys couldn't even break the starting line up in spite of all those non-category 1 players....

The biggest problem Nix and Co are dealing with is that they inherited a roster that is not suited for the style of football they want to play.. As Nix stated, they wanted bigger and stronger men, whereas the previous regime has been all about small and fast...To make it worse, the Bills went for a 3-4 defensive scheme (at least that is what they practised until training camp)..This is where my problem comes...Nix needs to adapt and not restart the whole process...As a bills fan, I don't want to be in a constant rebuilding mode...I want to use my existing drafted roster and play football...and I don't want to keep searching for that 5th to 7th round gems or UDFA hidden superstars...We need to make our 1st to 4th round draft picks count....and be those category 1 players.

Solid points.

My impression is that Troup is quietly making progress, and toward the end of the season looked a lot more like a category 1 player than he had at the beginning. I'm a lot more worried about Spiller than about Troup, for several reasons. 1) You expect a lot more from 9th overall than from an early second rounder. 2) RB should have been low on the Bills' priority list. 3) You expect a RB to develop and contribute faster than a DL. 4) There were category 1 players who play premium positions available for the Bills when they chose Spiller.

Ideally, Spiller will become another Thurman Thomas, and will justify the pick Nix used on him. I admit to not being overly optimistic on this score.

I agree it's normal for a coaching staff to spend a couple years or so accumulating 3-4 talent first and only then switch to a 3-4 defense. On the other hand, Nix/Gailey only inherited two category-1 players for their defensive front-7. I'll grant that the Bills probably experienced 2 - 3 additional losses because of having made the switch too early. But without those extra losses the Bills wouldn't have gotten Dareus, so it's hard to complain too much.

Poz may not be the best LB in the league but why can't anyone realize what we have in the guy? he could start on 30 teams in the NFL, if not 32.

Agreed. He should be the Bills' first FA priority. He look significantly better if the DL in front of him improves with

the addition of last year's #2 and 3 picks Troup and Carrington, along with Dareus.

Poz and Drayton will be resigned, they will get Miller or nobody at all at TE (not much to choose from here), an offensive tackle (I'm hoping Clabo or Brown), and a backup QB in free agency as soon as it opens. I don't think Channix will ignore free agency but instead will try to get the best guys at positions of need that they can. I'm just not thrilled with who they have to pick from at all.

Nice post although there are some other TEs they can go after too ie Boss

when turning over nearly the entire roster, you cant address every position in one offseason. if they dont atleast aggressively pursue a couple of the FA's this year i will be surprised, as it is such a hugely deep class of talented guys.

and most playoff teams feature a lot of things we dont still.

time will tell, i suppose.

I agree and just a couple months ago Nix said Ralph would open the purse, last year was a small FA class and try out/evaluation year, I think they make some moves this year

Agreed. He should be the Bills' first FA priority. He look significantly better if the DL in front of him improves with

the addition of last year's #2 and 3 picks Troup and Carrington, along with Dareus.

I hope you are right, I hope Troup really improves then KW can move to end or use the both of them in a hybred 4-3/2 sounds good. I also want Flo back