Hollywood is out of new ideas again....

Just Jack

This reminds me, you guys should watch the Footloose trailer...it looks like the "re-make" is a shot-for-shot film with new actors in it. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I have all the respect in the world for when directors/producers re-INTERPRET material, such as the Cohens did with True Grit, but what just making the exact same film again? WTF?

Meanwhile, I've got some great little Indy flicks on tap for this week...

This reminds me, you guys should watch the Footloose trailer...it looks like the "re-make" is a shot-for-shot film with new actors in it. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I have all the respect in the world for when directors/producers re-INTERPRET material, such as the Cohens did with True Grit, but what just making the exact same film again? WTF?

I think I may watch extended LOTR over 7 days until next Thursday when BB starts... now that's entertainment!

off the top of my head -Tron sequel, Red Dawn remake, Day the world stood still remake, True Grit remake, between sequels and remakes Hollywood has been out of new ideas for decades.

off the top of my head -Tron sequel, Red Dawn remake, Day the world stood still remake, True Grit remake, between sequels and remakes Hollywood has been out of new ideas for decades.

...I still like the super hero movies and am planning to watch Green Lantern, Thor, and Xmen first class tomorrow night...they are just fun movies!

This isn't really true. There are plenty of original ideas in Hollywood this very moment. And some of them are amazingly awesome. But sadly, there's far less risk in betting 150 million dollars on an existing property than there is in betting on something unknown. It's silly when you think about it logically -- but that's sometimes the sad reality of the business side of Hollywood.

This isn't really true. There are plenty of original ideas in Hollywood this very moment. And some of them are amazingly awesome. But sadly, there's far less risk in betting 150 million dollars on an existing property than there is in betting on something unknown. It's silly when you think about it logically -- but that's sometimes the sad reality of the business side of Hollywood.

of course you're right, a more accurate statement would be Hollywood is more comfortable spending big money on ideas that have a track record than something new- my statement was more to the point that this has been going on for a long time and is not something that started this year.

I think I may watch extended LOTR over 7 days until next Thursday when BB starts... now that's entertainment!

Are the extended versions on blu yet? If they are, I may join you in that endeavor! :D

Can't wait til BB!

I've got a fairly original idea for a movie, actually 2...however I'm not much of a dialogue writer

AJ, I believe they just released the extended versions on bluray for 70 bucks for the trilogy

Edited by WVUFootball29

Sometimes the only winning move is not to play :thumbsdown:

LOTR is one of the few examples of Hollywood actually doing something right this century

:o Oh please God no, tell me they aren't re-making Red Dawn. They can only f*ck that one up

I still wonder what really counts as an original idea at this point. So much has been done over the years now that someone will always be able to find a past project that has similarities to this so called original idea.

AJ, I believe they just released the extended versions on bluray for 70 bucks for the trilogy

Thanks, man. Hopefully Netflix carries the extended versions on blu...

Sometimes the only winning move is not to play :thumbsdown:

LOTR is one of the few examples of Hollywood actually doing something right this century

:o Oh please God no, tell me they aren't re-making Red Dawn. They can only f*ck that one up

It's been in the can since last year. They had the Chinese as the invaders, but changed all the logos to the N. Koreans to not anger our current overlords.

I still wonder what really counts as an original idea at this point. So much has been done over the years now that someone will always be able to find a past project that has similarities to this so called original idea.

It's true and you raise an interesting point. I have a theory or viewpoint that isn't all too popular but I think it holds. Basically it's that people forget that theater (which is all movies are at their core) has been around for thousands of years. Since people could speak, storytellers have existed. No one complains when a new production of Miller or Shakespeare gets under way. And those are line for line remakes. But film has the added (and unrealistic) expectations that it has to be original every time to be compelling.

There are only 47 stories that can be told. What makes each one feel fresh is the voice the filmmakers bring to the material.

(this is not a popular opinion in town)

There are only 47 stories that can be told. What makes each one feel fresh is the voice the filmmakers bring to the material.

I thought it was more like 52 - I remember Alan Alda saying that when he was interviewed about MASH's longevity.

Of course, judging by episodes of Three's Company, it'd be more like five.

I thought it was more like 52 - I remember Alan Alda saying that when he was interviewed about MASH's longevity.

Of course, judging by episodes of Three's Company, it'd be more like five.

I actually think I messed it up in my post (which is funny for numerous reasons). I went back and searched through my books and found out it is 36. This according to Georges Polti. Of course, this is from 1916, but it still holds (in my opinion) -- every story ever told is basically one or a combination of several of these 36 situations. So, if you buy Polti's argument that there are a limit to the types of stories you can tell, you start to see why storytellers (in all forms) struggle to find that "original" idea.

Truth is, everything has already been done. It's just about finding a new hook or angle to tell a familiar story and write it well enough that the audience (who has become far more astute and knowledgeable due to the the popularity of film and tv in the past 100 years or so) can't see the strings.

Here are Polti's 36 "Dramatic Situations" (sorry for the list!)

-Supplication (Basically a situation where someone in power makes a dubious decision which affects someone without power)

-Deliverance (rescue, in all its forms)

-Crime Pursued by Vengeance (Direct revenge)

-Vengeance taken for Kindred upon Kindred (Family revenge)

-Pursuit (Punishment & Fugitive)

-Disaster

-Falling Prey to Cruelty or Misfortune

-Revolt

-Daring Enterprise (a goal with a bold leader and adversary)

-Abduction

-The Enigma (interrogator, seeker, and problem)

-Obtaining (A solicitor and an adversary who is refusing)

-Enmity of Kinsmen

-Rivalry of Kinsmen

-Murderous Adultery

-Madness

-Fatal Imprudence

-Involuntary Crimes of Love

-Slaying of a Kinsmen Unrecognized (Slayer & Unrecognized Victim)

-Self Sacrifice for an Ideal

-Self Sacrifice for Kindred

-All Sacrifice for Passion

-Necessity of Sacrificing Loved Ones

-Rivalry of Superior and Inferior

-Adultery

-Crimes of Love

-Discovery of the Dishonor of a Loved One

-Obstacles to Love

-An Enemy Loved

-Ambition

-Struggle Against God

-Mistaken Jealousy

-Erroneous Judgment

-Remorse

-Recovery of a Lost Loved One

-Loss of Loved Ones

I also heard that they are remaking Total Recall, which shows you that new movie ideas are generated by taking a trip to Blockbuster.

There's also an interesting phenomenon in Hollywood where the studio executives are, by and large, under 40. Which means there's a tremendous amount of turnover amongst the first line of gate keepers (the ones who decide which projects get passed on to the big bosses). Which means that for some of these execs, they either grew up LOVING Total Recall as a kid or, more likely, being born well after it's popularity waned. So when they discover it on DVD they think, "this is brilliant! No one will remember this movie and we can make it awesome!"

That's an exaggeration of course, but some of the conversations you have in meetings are ... terrifying.

But, despite this, there are still some fabulous and very talented execs in the business who fight hard for original ideas and materials. They tend to be the ones that the best writers, directors and actors want to work with.

Edited by tgreg99