Should the Bills re-sign Drayton Florence?

mjt328

Historically, the Bills have been a revolving door at cornerback.

Talents like Nate Odomes, Jeff Burris, Thomas Smith, Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements have come and gone over the years - only to be replaced by younger defensive backs with lower price tags and less starting experience. Only time will tell if Drayton Florence can be added to that list.

After a disastrous season in Jacksonville, few expected Florence to be a big contributor for the Bills when he signed as a free agent in 2009. He still isn't a Pro-Bowl caliber player, but Florence has managed to start 29 of Buffalo's last 32 games at cornerback - and done a decent job at it. Some would argue that he's been the Bills best defensive back since joining the team.

Exceeding expectations has a price tag, though. And the Bills will probably have to shell out a decent contract to retain his future services.

Full Article

http://buffalobillsstampede.blogspot.com/2011/06/should-bills-re-sign-drayton-florence.html

Edited by mjt328

I would live to see Drayton back in Buffalo. We have Mcge, Mckelvin, Williams ® and Corner right now. I think that getting Drayton back makes that position much stronger only because Corner is then our fifth cornerback. He is a very good Dime back, whereas without Drayton we have a young buck probably a UDFA in the Dime postion which makes its a weakness in my eyes. PLus, Mcgee hasn't stayed healthy lately. Just for depth purposes it makes a lot of sense.

He's a playmaker. He's a sure tackler. He's solid. Why would the Bills want to keep a player like that? The Bills might have to cut Kelsay to keep Florence. Kelsay is better in the locker room, Florence is by far the better player on the field. It's a no brainer for the Bills FO. Keep Kelsay. Lose Florence.

I would love to see us keep him around, but would rather not sign him long term. He's seemingly a positive locker room presence, so if he can give us another couple years of productivity while we're brining along the young'ns, I think that would be great. Seems like the guy wants to stay here, too, given his tweeting behavior.

Yes and I believe they will offer him a fair contract but the question is: does he want to be a Buffalo Bill? With Mcgeee aging and injury prone, McKelvin being talented but brain dead, Corner being bad, and the rest being unproven Youngsters we really need him on the roster.

I say yes, but we have to understand something. This new regime doesn't owe anyone anything. I think Kelsay gets cut, Donte will be gone just like Stroud.

And we did draft Justin Rogers in the 7th. If we have any type of pass rush, I think any Dback could benefit to some degree. If Chix thinks they've done better than Florence, then they won't resign him.

I just really hope they do. I'm looking for a ripple effect. From the Dline to the Dbacks. Jmo

Yes retaining Florence would add great depth to the secondary. The CB's would go 4 deep with McGee, Florence, McKelvin, and Williams. Wilson and Byrd start at SS and FS while Scott and Searcy back them up.

Very solid secondary. Without Florence CB seems a little on the short side.

I say yes, but we have to understand something. This new regime doesn't owe anyone anything. I think Kelsay gets cut, Donte will be gone just like Stroud.

And we did draft Justin Rogers in the 7th. If we have any type of pass rush, I think any Dback could benefit to some degree. If Chix thinks they've done better than Florence, then they won't resign him.

I just really hope they do. I'm looking for a ripple effect. From the Dline to the Dbacks. Jmo

To the bolded above, it was this very regime that signed Kelsay to an extension last September.

IMO, there is zero chance that Kelsay gets cut in 2011.

Unless our D-line and LBs are improved, what difference does it make? No one will throw at us if they can run the ball down our throats for 250 yards a game. We won't know what we have in the secondary until teams actually need to test it. Just my opinion.

Yes and I believe they will offer him a fair contract but the question is: does he want to be a Buffalo Bill? With Mcgeee aging and injury prone, McKelvin being talented but brain dead, Corner being bad, and the rest being unproven Youngsters we really need him on the roster.

ANYTHING I'VE EVER READ FROM FLORENCE IS HE WOULD LIKE TO COME BACK OR STAY IN B-LO & I HOPE HE DOES ALONG WITH THE OTHERS WE NEED SOME GOOD VETERAN PRESENCE WITH THE YOUNG GUYS WE HAVE DRAFTED & HE WOULD BE A GREAT MENTOR FOR WILLIAMS !!