Dareus in Madden (screen shot)

Madden does use a point system which is pretty controversial. Some say the rankings are abritray and question their validity.

Letter to EA Sports: Madden

I've never seen that article before, and I figured why not read it at my desk here at work? I had to get up and walk away to avoid bringing a ton of attention to myself from laughing!

that's funny

they still have the numbers for each player (Speed, Strength, etc) but these are additional traits that are supposed to make the players feel more unique

Their big feature this year is Dynamic Player Performance. For example, if you sack a QB a few times, his confidence gets shaky, and his attributes go down as much as 10 points for the rest of the game to simulate the effect that beating on a QB has as the game goes on....

That page for Dareus was his "traits" that help determine how he plays in the game, as well as how wild his ratings swings will be. With a low consistency rating, he might be a 70OVR one week and a 92OVR the next, depending on how he plays. The more consistent he is, the less his ratings swing week to week in franchise mode. As players get older, they generally get more consistent.

It's a lot more complicated than that: go check out the Madden website for the details.

It looks like they actually tried this year, which is cool for gamers who want a decent NFL game!

There should still be some overall baseline rating. I liked the way they did player ratings in NFL 2K where 80% of the players fell into the 60's, 70's. and early 80's while only 20% of the players were above 82 or below 60. It made the good players stand out more and made the average players feel more average.

They tried to do that in Madden 10 which actually worked well BUT then they went away from that in Madden 11. I hope this new dynamic system of rating players works out. Its just so weird not to have overall ratings in a sports game.

There should still be some overall baseline rating. I liked the way they did player ratings in NFL 2K where 80% of the players fell into the 60's, 70's. and early 80's while only 20% of the players were above 82 or below 60. It made the good players stand out more and made the average players feel more average.

They tried to do that in Madden 10 which actually worked well BUT then they went away from that in Madden 11. I hope this new dynamic system of rating players works out. Its just so weird not to have overall ratings in a sports game.

They DO have overall ratings in Madden 12.

What you saw is one PAGE of his traits, not his ratings. Every player has an overall rating, plus a whole bunch of ratings like they have always had (speed, strength, acceleration, pass block, run block, awareness, throw power... etc.)

The screen the OP posted is a new addition. Depending on how confident and consistent a player is, his ratings will change slightly (or drastically) from week to week depending on how he performs (this is used in Franchise mode).

Even within a game, if you get 3 sacks with Dareus (for example) his ratings will actually increase, making it more likely that he will do even better as the game goes on.

It is their attempt to account for momentum. It looks cool, but we'll see.

In any event, overall ratings ARE in the game. Brady and Brees are the 2 highest rated QB at 99 and 98 OVR.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/116/1168111/madden-nfl-12-20110513114254632.jpg&imgrefurl=http://clame.org.mx/madden-nfl-12-screenshots&usg=__4bdwjYxDzjezDUJj6evcTVZTSVw=&h=720&w=1280&sz=404&hl=en&start=24&zoom=1&tbnid=KvRkIM47VHvVlM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=195&ei=iQbxTf_2DsLegQfsofmBAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmadden%2B12%2Bscreenshots%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D606%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=323&vpy=317&dur=1052&hovh=168&hovw=300&tx=148&ty=126&page=3&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:24&biw=1024&bih=606[/img]"]FA system showing some OVR ratings

Edited by trolls_r_us

I'm not sure what player traits are, I thought madden used a point system?

247941_10150282814644073_150042789072_9097048_6314343_n.jpg

Screen shots are good. Being a lead dog on Madden is bad. It has jinxed many

football players in the past. Bills DO NOT need Dareus to be jinxed!!

I'm not sure what player traits are, I thought madden used a point system?

247941_10150282814644073_150042789072_9097048_6314343_n.jpg

It's good to see that they're trying harder now to make more accurate ratings. But they still have a long way to go. Back in the day my brother was a QA tester for Madden for a few seasons. Even though he wasn't supposed to he was able to fix some over inflated ratings of DE's made by a code monkey (no offense to any skilled code monkeys out there :) ) who was an overly biased Giants fan. Those were the days. I sure hope Madden keeps trying to perfect the rating system. How do you quantify football intelligence? What character rating can rally the troops? Which rating will throw a football at the coach's feet and have a tantrum and quit on the team? It'll be interesting to see how this keeps evolving.

They DO have overall ratings in Madden 12.

What you saw is one PAGE of his traits, not his ratings. Every player has an overall rating, plus a whole bunch of ratings like they have always had (speed, strength, acceleration, pass block, run block, awareness, throw power... etc.)

The screen the OP posted is a new addition. Depending on how confident and consistent a player is, his ratings will change slightly (or drastically) from week to week depending on how he performs (this is used in Franchise mode).

Even within a game, if you get 3 sacks with Dareus (for example) his ratings will actually increase, making it more likely that he will do even better as the game goes on.

It is their attempt to account for momentum. It looks cool, but we'll see.

In any event, overall ratings ARE in the game. Brady and Brees are the 2 highest rated QB at 99 and 98 OVR.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/116/1168111/madden-nfl-12-20110513114254632.jpg&imgrefurl=http://clame.org.mx/madden-nfl-12-screenshots&usg=__4bdwjYxDzjezDUJj6evcTVZTSVw=&h=720&w=1280&sz=404&hl=en&start=24&zoom=1&tbnid=KvRkIM47VHvVlM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=195&ei=iQbxTf_2DsLegQfsofmBAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmadden%2B12%2Bscreenshots%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D606%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=323&vpy=317&dur=1052&hovh=168&hovw=300&tx=148&ty=126&page=3&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:24&biw=1024&bih=606[/img]"]FA system showing some OVR ratings

My bad I didn't see the overall ratings.

But I hope they try to make a bigger ratings gap in Madden 12. Madden 10 tried to establish that but it seemed like they went away from that.

I liked the 2K sports rating system of

60-65 were backups or developmental players

66-70 were quality backups

71-75 were below average starters or really good backups

76-79 were average starters

80-83 were above average starters

84-87 were pro-bowl players

88-90 were top 10-5 at their position

90+ one of the few best at the position and an elite player.

NFL 2k5 was the last good football game imo. Apparently, the physics system they used was more realistic than the one Madden uses today o.O They put real emphasis on route running and creating good one on one situations and if you didn't execute a passing play as intended i.e. turning a screen into a hail mary 99% of the time it would not be a completion. While it didn't have have all the ridiculous plays you'd see happen in Madden, it was a much better experience imo.

NFL 2k5 was the last good football game imo. Apparently, the physics system they used was more realistic than the one Madden uses today o.O They put real emphasis on route running and creating good one on one situations and if you didn't execute a passing play as intended i.e. turning a screen into a hail mary 99% of the time it would not be a completion. While it didn't have have all the ridiculous plays you'd see happen in Madden, it was a much better experience imo.

I felt that way for years with Madden vs NFL 2K5. BUT Madden 10 made a lot of improvements to the franchise that had sucked for the better part of 4 years. Madden 10 and Madden 11 (Which was basically a roster update for Madden 10 with some slight tweaks) were better games than NFL 2K5. Which isn't putting down NFL 2K5 at all its very impressive that on lesser tech it took 5 years for Madden to match that.

NFL 2k was not perfect, a lot of people ignore its flaws.