Pryor's Attorney confirms no more The Ohio State

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, let's take a kid who had a single decent college season and who clearly has the work ethic to compete in the NFL and join all the other great OSU QBs who came before him...

But he's a dual threat and will revolutionize the QB position. Just you wait and see.

:doh:

Remember teams like the Patriots and Jets care more about winning than winning ethically. Machiavelli said it best "the ends justify the means".

No Saint, I respect your opinion and think you're a smart dude but I don't agree with you on this. Jim Tressel is corrupt, the BCS system is corrupt just see how the Fiesta Bowl committee spent money like a drunken sailor http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/03/30/fiesta-bowl-junker/index.html

I'm tired of mainstream Amercia buying into the conversative notion that the players are to blame. The whole system is corrupt. Don't hate the player hate the game! Coaches, administrators, presidents, the NCAA, the Bowl's, the boosters, alumni, agents, and the players they are all to blame.

Totally agree with you on his. The players are the victims of a corrupt system enriching everyone but themselves.

Until a college football systems comprehends that they are a forced minor league for the NFL for the Top tier talent there will always be problems. It's not 1920. The Top tier talent are the ones involved in most scandals, not the kids at the bottom of the scholarship ladder or walk-ons.

A system has to comprehend that many of these young men would like to enter the workforce and earn money in the career of pro football but do not have an outlet to enter the work force and are essentially forced to play college football for 3 years until they can enter the workforce.

The NFL will most likely never establish a minor league of their own like NHL, NBA, and MLB because they would have to figure out how to make it work economically. Right now the NFL has a free minor league.

So when the NCAA comes out with some sort of revenue sharing system with scholarship athletes in DI programs for Football then this will always happen and will always have selective enforcement. Some media slub could stick their nose unto any major college program any day of the week and find the same thing. Go to a restaurant in a college town. Look on the walls. See that current player's jersey with the autograph. You think that got there through ebay?

Its just a complete farce of and mockery of any kind of moral code or sense of justice.

Big woop you got the vest for something everyone already knew was happening and is happening right now in every D-1 program. La-di-freaking Dah.

Call me when you can give players a work-study program for scholarship athletes in the FBS, funded by the TV contracts. $50 an hour to play the game and practice. Then throw the death penalty to any program that screws around on the side. Then there is a sense of justice and a moral code I can get behind.

no one is forcing these kids to accept a full scholarship worth tens of thousands of dollars.

do you think even $50 per hour will stop the Pryor's from autographing items for $1,000/hour. no matter what minimum "fair" pay you come up with, it won't be enough for some......and why should football and basketball players get paid while soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, swimming, track and all other sports get less or nothing at all. the "scholarship" is plenty generous enough.

there are lots of professions that won't hire kids straight out of high school...on the otherhand there are leagues that do....just not the NFL.

no one is forcing these kids to accept a full scholarship worth tens of thousands of dollars.

Yes the rules of the NFL along with the lack of professional minor league force these young man to take a service(scholarship) they are not completely interested in exchange for their service(playing in the NCAA semi-pro league).

do you think even $50 per hour will stop the Pryor's from autographing items for $1,000/hour. no matter what minimum "fair" pay you come up with, it won't be enough for some......

Yes it will be enough. If you read the articles about the dirty agents the kids aren't asking for $100s of thousands of dollars. They're asking for 100s of dollars.

and why should football and basketball players get paid while soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, swimming, track and all other sports get less or nothing at all. the "scholarship" is plenty generous enough.

Because they don't make any significant TV money.

there are lots of professions that won't hire kids straight out of high school...on the otherhand there are leagues that do....just not the NFL.

But you are not punished by the profession if you reach out to current professionals in that field. Thats called networking and is actually rewarded in most other professions.

Edited by Why So Serious?

All I know is even if he doesn't make it as a QB I see the success that Brad Smith has had with Jets, Pryor is better than he is. Smith was a 4th. Bills still have limited size at WR, this guy could be good at the goal line if we to play WR there.

Its just a complete farce of and mockery of any kind of moral code or sense of justice.

Really? Your hierarchy of morality and justice seem upside down--and Tyrell Pryor therefore makes an excellent poster boy as a "victim" in your scheme.

Really? Your hierarchy of morality and justice seem upside down--and Tyrell Pryor therefore makes an excellent poster boy as a "victim" in your scheme.

Like usual your reading comprehension is lacking.

My point is OSU is not the only DI program where players autograph gear to get free stuff.

Like usual your reading comprehension is lacking.

My point is OSU is not the only DI program where players autograph gear to get free stuff.

"Like usual", you have made a silly comment and now are running away from it, claiming it was misinterpreted.

Everyone already knew that this goes on at every major college football program. Your goofy rant did not advance that point.

"Like usual", you have made a silly comment and now are running away from it, claiming it was misinterpreted.

Everyone already knew that this goes on at every major college football program. Your goofy rant did not advance that point.

Your definition of "running away" is as flawed as your definition of "fundamental."

I guess "running away" to you means standing by it and restating it, in a way simpletons can understand.

Terrelle Pryor’s next set of problems could come from the IRS

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/10/terrelle-pryors-next-set-of-problems-could-come-from-the-irs/

Perhaps that’s the best reason for the NCAA potentially revising its rules to reflect reality, and setting up (for example) an Olympics-style system that allows “amateur” players to make money via sponsors or autographs, and that ensures all associated taxes are paid. The current system, in which the NCAA keeps its head in the sand or a far less sanitary personal orifice until someone in the media generates evidence that players are indeed getting paid, easily could result in proof that the players who have gotten paid have failed to pay their fair share to the IRS and/or the state-level taxing authority.

comment: i like this idea better than paying the athletes an hourly wage.

Terrelle Pryor’s next set of problems could come from the IRS

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/10/terrelle-pryors-next-set-of-problems-could-come-from-the-irs/

Perhaps that’s the best reason for the NCAA potentially revising its rules to reflect reality, and setting up (for example) an Olympics-style system that allows “amateur” players to make money via sponsors or autographs, and that ensures all associated taxes are paid. The current system, in which the NCAA keeps its head in the sand or a far less sanitary personal orifice until someone in the media generates evidence that players are indeed getting paid, easily could result in proof that the players who have gotten paid have failed to pay their fair share to the IRS and/or the state-level taxing authority.

comment: i like this idea better than paying the athletes an hourly wage.

It creates a more uneven playing field, though. Take a blue-chip basketball prospect: Should he go to Duke, which has an excellent program both academically and on the court? Or to Georgetown (I tried to keep the academics relatively equal) where he can make thousands signing autographs at political fundraisers in DC? (I left out UB for some reason.)

Steve HOF Young was a supplemental pick by the Bucs.

But I think that had something to do with the USFL folding so its a little bit of a different situation.

Steve Young signed lets say a 100 million dollar contract with year 1 he got paid $1 and year 30 he got paid the remainder and I think Young is actually still getting paid today through some settlement. I read somewhere he still gets a USFL paycheck like a $100,000 until 2057 or something.

I could not disagree more. We can argue all day about whether or not college athletes should or should not be paid. But the fact of the matter is right now they are not, and Pryor has been behaving in a manner that is blatently opposite the current rules.

When Pryor showed up to work out after Tressel stepped down in another new "loaner' car, that told me all I needed to know: He's not capable of being a starting QB in the NFL. Don't wast a pick.

The new "loaner car" Prior allegedly drove after Tressell was fired was a USED Nissan Z that, after trading in a car of his own, he paid around 10K for.

Yes the rules of the NFL along with the lack of professional minor league force these young man to take a service(scholarship) they are not completely interested in exchange for their service(playing in the NCAA semi-pro league).

They're not forced to do anything. If a scholarship is such a raw deal then these guys like Pryor should bypass college. Nobody is stopping them from working with trainers/coaches for the 3 years between high school and when they become eligible to be drafted.

They're not forced to do anything. If a scholarship is such a raw deal then these guys like Pryor should bypass college. Nobody is stopping them from working with trainers/coaches for the 3 years between high school and when they become eligible to be drafted.

You realize your outrage for the discounting of a scholarship is misplaced. Great, you value a scholarship but your value system is not absolute.

If you look at the systemic problem in NCAA football and wonder why the same problems don't exist in College Baseball, Hockey, and even the problems in Basketball anymore to the extent the sport was once corrupt in the past. Its because of two reasons 1.) NCAA DI football is big money sport. Big with a capital B as in Billion 2.) The players that only care about money and going pro above all else don't have a realistic alternative.

Sure they can work out with a private trainer but don't be silly, they're getting drafted as high as a modern day Rudy if they take that path.

I value a college education but I don't force my values on everyone.

A Trade school is a good option for some people and a minor league is a good options for others.

NCAA Div I football is a minor league for the NFL, run as an amateur sport. The contradictory nature of the league causes these scandals. We all know its a matter of time before there is another USC and Ohio State. What's the punishment?

The Vest temporarily loses his job, but still pocketed Millions and lifted the glass ball. A kid gets kicked out and I'm sure OSU will have to "vacate wins". What a joke? The NCAA response "Just pretend it never happened. Return the trophy and we'll just erase this line in a book somewhere."

But everyone knows who really won the Heissman or Rose Bowl or Championship game"

Its a complete joke. Its all bark no bite.

The vest will be back in coaching after 700 days, kids will still sign memorabilia for free tats, get sweetheart car loans and the Million and Billion dollar checks will still be cashed by the universities.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Jason Cole's piece on Terrelle Pryor moved this morning.

http://sports.yahoo....fl_teams_060811

He has quotes from NFL personnel guys and GMs offering their views on Pryor.

Part of the discussion has Pryor being compared to Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan