Manning vs. Brady Debate

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take Brown, Addai, and Gonzalez off that list. They haven't accomplished jacksht.

Brady played with scrubs? You forgot to mention to godly protection that he's had over the years and not to mention playing with the best kicker possibly in NFL history. I'm not even going to bring up the FLUKE "tuck" bullsht that was called against Oakland. They didn't even deserve to play against the Rams that year. He choked and fumbled that game away and should've lost that game.

Their numbers are similar throughout the playoffs. Brady just played with a better overall team.

Few QBs are sacked as few times as Manning. His O-line has little to do with that? Since 2001, Brady has been sacked 100 times more than Manning--who hasn't had more than 20 sacks in a season in almost 10 years.

As for playoffs, the two aren't even close where it matters most--wins.

In 11 playoff seasons, Mannings Colts are 9-10 with 7 "one and dones". In 8 post-seasons, Brady's pats are 14-5 with only 2 quick exits. Manning has a well earned rep as suspect in the playoffs, as great as he is the rest of the year.

If I had to pick between the two, I would pick Manning.

His attitude is far superior than the stuck up Brady.

Secondary ... how many rules were created just for Manning as compared to Brady?

Other than those that forever changed the way DB's had to play receivers?

No disrespect to Brady, but if you look further at his playoff number you quickly see he's not Montana. The course of history has taken some of the luster out of the unbeatable Brady mystique.

Look at Brady first 10 playoff games, the guy went 10-0 and won 3 Super Bowls. He threw 14 tds and tossed only 3 ints. Brady threw for 215.2 ypg average and completed 61.9% of his passes. He played on the road twice in Pittsburgh. And won 3 Super Bowls by a margin of 3 in each respective game. The Pats put up 24.6 ppg & 15.8 pag. Brady threw 3 tds in his first 5 playoff games to 2 picks. He had 70.4, 73.3, 76.1 QB ratings in 3 of those games. Without the infamouse tuck Brady's legacy wouldn't be 1/2 of what it is. No one play in the history of football has more defined a player than the infamous tuck.

More important let's look at Tom Terrific's last 9 playoff games. 4-5 and lost 1 Super Bowl, possibily the biggest choke in Super Bowl history. Brady went 1-2 on the road during this time. He tossed 16 tds 13 ints and a 62.4% completion percentage. Brady has thrown for 250.6 per game in those 9 games. 3 games with 3 picks each(9 turnovers) and he still went 2-1 thanks to San Diego choking twice! Brady has been pick free in only 3 games. Passer ratings of 49.1, 57.6, 66.4, 74.0, and 79.5 ain't gonna win many games! Especially without the once all-world defense and dominant running game.

Manning went 4-6 in his first 10 games, threw for 273 per game, 16 tds and 11 picks completing 62.1% of his passes.

Manning has gone 5-4 in his last 9 games, throwing for 295.4 per game, 13 tds and 8 picks completing 64.1% of his tosses.

A look at QB Ratings further illustrates why folks are biased towards Brady and tend to choose him by default because of his playoff success.

Brady is 6-0 in games with a QB rating over 100, 1-0 in the 90s, 2-2 in the 80s, 3-2 in the 70s, 1-0 in the 60s, 1-0 in the 50s, and 0-1 in the 40s.

Manning is 4-1 in games with a QB rating over 100, 0-3 in the 90s, 2-2 in the 80s, 1-1 in the 70s, 0-2 in the 60s, 1-2 in the 30s.

This is a classic example of Manning superiority. How does a guy go 4-4 in 8 playoff games above 90? Manning is 4-10 in games with a QB rating below 90. Brady is 7-0 with a QB rating above 90. Brady is 7-5 in games below a 90.

Brady's supporting cast, coach, kicker, etc, etc is vastly superior to what Manning had. Here's a great article on how "great" Manning made Marvin Harrison. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=938.

To me there is no comparison Manning hands down.

Edited by BiggieScooby

Wow, this is ignorant. I know it's just your opinion, but it's a horrible one. Go ahead and say Brady is a great leader and nobody will argue with you. But to say he's "more of a leader" than the quintessential leader at the QB position of the last decade is just absurd. Another arrow in Peyton's quiver? Exactly what you just criticized -- his ability to read the defense and put his guys in the right position pre-snap.

Brady never called out his o-line like Manning did after a Pitt playoff loss. That's not what I would want from a leader.

I think some of the arguments being made here are a bit skewed.

Yes Brady (like Donovan McNabb) had lousy receivers for most of the early part of his career but more lately he's had the opportunity to play with Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

And I totally agree with Dre that the Patsies* have had a much better offensive line than the Colts during the decade where Manning and Brady's careers have overlapped. New England has been a very effective power running football team where the Colts have been very ineffective rushing the ball in recent years.

I agree that the Patriots have also had the better defense although the Colts have certainly been a better pass rushing team as far as defense is concerned.

To the point that Cassel led the Chiefs to 11 wins last year… he led them to 4 wins the year before.

It's probably pretty close between the two. I'd take Manning for my team.

Prior to Moss & Welker, Brady won 3 SBs. Since they had gotten both, Brady has put up better stats than Peyton.

Brady is a better winner & with equal talent, he puts up better #s. Brady is the better qb plus Peyton plays most of his games in a dome, another huge advantage. Judging by most of Manning's cold weather games, his stats would take a huge hit if he played in NE.

Take Brown, Addai, and Gonzalez off that list. They haven't accomplished jacksht.

Brady played with scrubs? You forgot to mention to godly protection that he's had over the years and not to mention playing with the best kicker possibly in NFL history. I'm not even going to bring up the FLUKE "tuck" bullsht that was called against Oakland. They didn't even deserve to play against the Rams that year. He choked and fumbled that game away and should've lost that game.

Their numbers are similar throughout the playoffs. Brady just played with a better overall team.

:lol:

Not when it comes to W-L record, the only stat that matters.

Peyton Gump = Big Game Chump ;)

although it can be argued which has the better resume for the hall, i think the obvious "who do you take in a re-draft?" the obvious answer is manning.

brady has the rings, but manning has a stronger, more accurate arm, seemingly more cerebral etc.... i think mannings career was nearly unavoidable, whereas toms took a little bit more luck. thats not to say that tom isnt ultra talented, or hasnt earned what hes gotten, but that if life had a magic reset button, tom makes the hall sometimes, depending on where he goes, and who he plays with but manning almost 100% of the time would have had an elite career, if not all time great.

Wow, this is ignorant. I know it's just your opinion, but it's a horrible one. Go ahead and say Brady is a great leader and nobody will argue with you. But to say he's "more of a leader" than the quintessential leader at the QB position of the last decade is just absurd. Another arrow in Peyton's quiver? Exactly what you just criticized -- his ability to read the defense and put his guys in the right position pre-snap.

So my opinion is ignorant?? nice reply dude.

I said I respect Brady more. No doubt Manning has leadership qualities. Don't think that even has to be said.

I have a right to my thoughts and so do you. Manning does use smoke and mirrors to fake out the D. If you even watch alot of football you would know that alot of his calls are dummy calls.

I'd just take Brady over Manning even thought both are sure Hall of Famers

I said I respect Brady more. No doubt Manning has leadership qualities. Don't think that even has to be said.

I have a right to my thoughts and so do you. Manning does use smoke and mirrors to fake out the D. If you even watch alot of football you would know that alot of his calls are dummy calls.

everyone knows he makes dummy calls - the thing is unless you know which are, it makes no difference. its not smoke and mirrors, its a proven skill that is very hard to replicate.

if given what you know today, you could go back to draft day and both were coming out, you would take brady? i think manning has more god given talent, where as brady has had a few more lucky breaks to get to where he was. i think you could drop 22 year old payton manning on 32 teams and you would see perrenial playoff appearances on about 30 of those scenarios. I think bradys career was probably a lot more 50-50 for success, and catching a bit of lightning in a bottle. he was still talented, hard working etc... but manning just seems like the obvious choice to start a franchise with.

but yea, i agree, and might even say brady has the better resume today, but better resume, and better player i dont think are the same here.

I stand by the "ignorant" comment. Your "reasons" for downgrading Manning just don't make any sense at all. Sorry for calling a spade a spade. I'm sure we could have a beer over it and it's no big deal.

By the way, I believe about 90% of the nation is ignorant, so don't consider yourself special. ;)

Brady is a system QB. Without New England he would never have been heard of. Brady gets sacked more because Manning gets rid of the ball faster and more successfully than any QB I've ever watched while, if Brady doesn't get his 4 or 5 seconds to throw, he rarely completes a pass beyond the 5 yard line (until Moss came along to catch anything thrown his way). Also, watch film and tell me how often a check down or outlet type of pass is taken for another 20 or 30 YAC by New England receivers, TE's, and backs even from behind the line of scrimmage. Anyone who denies Matt Cassell and the 11-5 record vs Colts and Painter Jets game as proof of the system being the winner and not the QB is not facing fact IMO. It is the same with other franchises and QB's as well not just Brady vs Manning. Big Ben and Aaron Rogers and John Elway are examples of QB's who win in spite of the flaws in their teams and their systems. How many would argue against the fact that Terry Bradshaw won (mainly) because of the team around him?

IMO, Brady is the luckiest, not the most talented QB in the NFL.

Well we'll find out soon enough what the NFL players themselves feel about the issue as the NFL Network's Top 100 Players of 2011 is counting down their final top ten players.

I know the list has some questionable choices in the voting… for instance Aaron Rodgers is only the 11th best player.

Nevertheless, I think it will give us clear picture of which quarterback the NFL players as a whole, feel is better.

Brady is a system QB. Without New England he would never have been heard of. Brady gets sacked more because Manning gets rid of the ball faster and more successfully than any QB I've ever watched while, if Brady doesn't get his 4 or 5 seconds to throw, he rarely completes a pass beyond the 5 yard line (until Moss came along to catch anything thrown his way). Also, watch film and tell me how often a check down or outlet type of pass is taken for another 20 or 30 YAC by New England receivers, TE's, and backs even from behind the line of scrimmage. Anyone who denies Matt Cassell and the 11-5 record vs Colts and Painter Jets game as proof of the system being the winner and not the QB is not facing fact IMO. It is the same with other franchises and QB's as well not just Brady vs Manning. Big Ben and Aaron Rogers and John Elway are examples of QB's who win in spite of the flaws in their teams and their systems. How many would argue against the fact that Terry Bradshaw won (mainly) because of the team around him?

IMO, Brady is the luckiest, not the most talented QB in the NFL.

DAMN RIGHT!!!! :w00t: