Anatomy of a Play

It probably seems like I am picking a fight. I'm moving on but I'm still a little bumbed about this. He was not a perfect human being off the field but on the field he is one of only a handful of guys in the NFL that run with that much want too.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-anatomy-of-a-play/09000d5d81da2200/Wild-card-Anatomy-Lynch-s-TD-run?module=HP_cp2

I just recently got into a heated discussion about Lynch vs Jackson. I really do like them both and thought they were great compliments to each other. Jackson started to run harder like Lynch and Lynch was hopefully learning how to be a more complete RB and better person off the field from Freddy. Too bad many Buffalo fans are an unforgiving lot and IMO really and truly did help to run him out of town. No one want's to stay where there is so much open dislike for them. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

Maybe if we kept our mouths shut and let the KID do a little maturing we wouldn't have had to spend our first round pick on CJ Spiller to replace Lynch. That being said I really hope Spiller gets it this year. We don't need another first round bust and we certainly don't need a first round bust that was chosen because the fan base helped to run a perfectly good RB out of town.

Did it ever occur to you that letting Lynch go might have been the best thing for him? I really liked his running style and at the time, I also thought the Spiller pick was ridiculous. The thing is, once you have earned yourself a bad reputation, it takes a very long time to put that behind you. NFL careers are very short. He needed a second chance, yes. But maybe for all parties concerned, he is better off where he is, a place where he can get a fresh start.

It probably seems like I am picking a fight. I'm moving on but I'm still a little bumbed about this. He was not a perfect human being off the field but on the field he is one of only a handful of guys in the NFL that run with that much want too.

http://www.nfl.com/v...n?module=HP_cp2

I just recently got into a heated discussion about Lynch vs Jackson. I really do like them both and thought they were great compliments to each other. Jackson started to run harder like Lynch and Lynch was hopefully learning how to be a more complete RB and better person off the field from Freddy. Too bad many Buffalo fans are an unforgiving lot and IMO really and truly did help to run him out of town. No one want's to stay where there is so much open dislike for them. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

Maybe if we kept our mouths shut and let the KID do a little maturing we wouldn't have had to spend our first round pick on CJ Spiller to replace Lynch. That being said I really hope Spiller gets it this year. We don't need another first round bust and we certainly don't need a first round bust that was chosen because the fan base helped to run a perfectly good RB out of town.

Lynch is a real talent, no doubt, and I think there is more than a fair chance that he will make us regret trading him away. At the same time though, he simply wasn't getting it done on the field and carried a high risk of being a repeat offender in terms of breaking league rules. That 4 game suspension was bad enough but the next one was going to be worse. The chance that there would be a "next one" with him was just too high.

Marshawn's 1st season in B-lo he brought a great sense of excitement with his running style & his alter ego BEAST MODE was great !! But he was a big city guy with a big city attitude in a city that is more of a blue color / under dog type feel & i for one thought that was against him .

Players have to not only fit the scheme that the team is playing , but they have to fit the team & city it self that they are playing for , that IMHO is why every one in the media thought T.O wasn't going to work here but he showed them different .

Cedric Benson didn't work in his first stop , neither did Corey Dillon , but the change was a better fit .

I believe Marshawn will do well in the NFL but i think he is better off out of B-Lo , because as we all know Bills fans are VERY unforgiving !!!

Edited by T master

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-anatomy-of-a-play/09000d5d81da2200/Wild-card-Anatomy-Lynch-s-TD-run?module=HP_cp2

Here is an anatomy of a play...its just one play. Prior to this playoff game, Lynch was scene as a trade that had not worked out as they had hoped. He was struggling running the ball up there. Yes this play was amazing, but so was David Tyree's amazing SB saving catch...he was cut that offseason. Lynch averaged just 3.5 yards per carry in the regular season for the Seahawks and 3.6 ypc for entire reg season. In fact, if you take out the one amazing TD run in the playoffs he averaged just 3.0 yards per carry for the playoffs too.

I just don't get why people over dramatize a players impact based on a single play. One play does not define an overall performance or impact. Granted ML TD run was pretty impressive, his overall performance for both Buffalo and Sea was not. He is a guy capable of making an impressive run with power, but he has lacked consistency in large part because of how he hits the holes. He can be a solid or good back in this league, but until he figures out how to get through the holes quicker he is not going to find any consistency. As of the trade and as of now, FJ is the better back between the two.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Did it ever occur to you that letting Lynch go might have been the best thing for him? I really liked his running style and at the time, I also thought the Spiller pick was ridiculous. The thing is, once you have earned yourself a bad reputation, it takes a very long time to put that behind you. NFL careers are very short. He needed a second chance, yes. But maybe for all parties concerned, he is better off where he is, a place where he can get a fresh start.

Never really considered whether it was the best thing for him or not. I suppose the best thing for him would have been for fans to cut the kid some slack and let him mature and grow. Since certain vocal members of the fan base were poisoned against him it probably was the best thing for him but not a good thing for the Bills.

I think that is a function of playing in Buffalo. We are incredibly opinionated about certain players especially if they don't fit the western NY working class humble hero type image. In other cities I don't think it would have been NEARLY as big an issue.

Just sucks because we were absolutely fine with Lynch and Jackson but in addition to his own actions fans helped run him out of town.

Marshawn's 1st season in B-lo he brought a great sense of excitement with his running style & his alter ego BEAST MODE was great !! But he was a big city guy with a big city attitude in a city that is more of a blue color / under dog type feel & i for one thought that was against him .

Players have to not only fit the scheme that the team is playing , but they have to fit the team & city it self that they are playing for , that IMHO is why every one in the media thought T.O wasn't going to work here but he showed them different .

Cedric Benson didn't work in his first stop , neither did Corey Dillon , but the change was a better fit .

I believe Marshawn will do well in the NFL but i think he is better off out of B-Lo , because as we all know Bills fans are VERY unforgiving !!!

True true. Exactly my point.

Here is an anatomy of a play...its just one play. Prior to this playoff game, Lynch was scene as a trade that had not worked out as they had hoped. He was struggling running the ball up there. Yes this play was amazing, but so was David Tyree's amazing SB saving catch...he was cut that offseason. Lynch averaged just 3.5 yards per carry in the regular season for the Seahawks and 3.6 ypc for entire reg season. In fact, if you take out the one amazing TD run in the playoffs he averaged just 3.0 yards per carry for the playoffs too.

I just don't get why people over dramatize a players impact based on a single play. One play does not define an overall performance or impact. Granted ML TD run was pretty impressive, his overall performance for both Buffalo and Sea was not. He is a guy capable of making an impressive run with power, but he has lacked consistency in large part because of how he hits the holes. He can be a solid or good back in this league, but until he figures out how to get through the holes quicker he is not going to find any consistency. As of the trade and as of now, FJ is the better back between the two.

Of course someone had to make it a fight. If Jackson is so much better how come he doesn't score TDs? TDs put points on the board and win games. Period. End of story. I think Jackson is a pretty damn good RB but apparently he needs a seeing eye dog to get into the end zone.

hmmm...did anyone notice that he had an EFFECTIVE OFFENSIVE LINE on that play? Gee...we ought to maybe get one of those things.

Absolutely part of my point. Instead of dumping Lynch and using 2009 #9 overall on Spiller we should have kept him and gotten an OL guy. I have always said that with a competent NFL line Lynch was the man. With the crap we have and the promising young players who are developing who can't open many holes yet Jackson's cut back running and vision are greater attributes.

Now if only that vision saw him into the end zone about twice as often we would be looking good.

I just don't get why people over dramatize a players impact based on a single play. One play does not define an overall performance or impact.

Because it basically won the game. That was a defining run for Lynch. In this case the game was 34-31 'hawks...and that run crushed the souls of the Saints. It can't be underestimated.

Because it basically won the game. That was a defining run for Lynch. In this case the game was 34-31 'hawks...and that run crushed the souls of the Saints. It can't be underestimated.

It was also representative of his style of running and tenacity all in one nice little microcosmic package. Haters are going to hate so we won't change any minds but I agree with you 100%. I guess it shouldn't amaze me that people let there personal feelings impact what they can see with their eyes and irrefutable statistics.

To be sure Lynch in his 4th year still had a lot to learn from a classy and solid 9 year veteran like Jackson. Lynch could have been a Bill for many years and obviously has a lot more career and potential improvement ahead of him.

Edited by PDaDdy

hmmm...did anyone notice that he had an EFFECTIVE OFFENSIVE LINE on that play? Gee...we ought to maybe get one of those things.

The Seahwks line is no better than the Bills. Their running game sucks, they gave up more sacks and their passing game sucks.

Because it basically won the game. It can't be underestimated.

And then what?

Look, it was a nice run, but it was one good play in a mediocre year (being very generous here) for a 1st round draft pick RB who should be entering his prime but had less than 600 yards and a 3.5 avg in Seattle.

Big deal. In another 4 years he'll have another big play you can moon over.

+1. you hit the nail on the head. He's as tough as hell but he truly has no runningback instincts. He wasn't patient enough at times, didn't wait for the blockers, and ran the wrong plays on others. An athletic talent I give you, but he doesn't have the NFL instincts to be great, let alone good.

The Seahwks line is no better than the Bills. Their running game sucks, they gave up more sacks and their passing game sucks.

And then what?

Look, it was a nice run, but it was one good play in a mediocre year (being very generous here) for a 1st round draft pick RB who should be entering his prime but had less than 600 yards and a 3.5 avg in Seattle.

Your right the Seahawks line isn't much better which makes it even more impressive. I think the guy did pretty well for coming into a city, offense and personnel grouping in week 5. Imagine what the guy might be able to do with a full off season in the program as the starter.

Oh...wait...full off season... :(

It was also representative of his style of running and tenacity all in one nice little microcosmic package. Haters are going to hate so we won't change any minds but I agree with you 100%. I guess it shouldn't amaze me that people let there personal feelings impact what they can see with their eyes and irrefutable statistics.

To be sure Lynch in his 4th year still had a lot to learn from a classy and solid 9 year veteran like Jackson. Lynch could have been a Bill from many years and obviously has a lot more career and potential improvement ahead of him.

So why did Lynch average just 3.0 yards per carry in the playoffs outside of that one run? Why did Lynch average just 3.5 yards per carry during the regular season? Why is his career YPC only 3.9? Why were people calling the Lynch trade a failure prior to that one run? Why did Lynch only get 4 carries in the very next game if he such a dominant force?

Why is FJ career YPC playing mostly on the same team 4.4?

And as far as other comment about TD's...Lynch is more of a goal line back and gets more goal line carries. But I will add that FJ had 5 TD's last year despite not playing the whole year or being the starter the whole year and Lynch had just one more. FJ is by far the better back and proved so constantly with them both here by carry and much more effective YPC and was a better receiver as well.

And then what?

You don't think it was a big deal? Beating the super bowl champions in the PLAYOFFS? Wow. Haha!

You don't think it was a big deal? Beating the super bowl champions in the PLAYOFFS? Wow. Haha!

So go sign David Tyree then...you know the guy that saved the SB for the Giants with a one handed catch on his helmet against the Pats...he is available as he was cut that very offseason. Again, one play does not define overall success. Yes, it was a great play, but its still one play. Ask the Seahawk coaches if they care more about the one play, or the fact that he averages 3.5 YPC for them and went off for 2 yards total in 2nd round of the playoffs where they were eliminated by Chi and were sent home. Ask Giants fans if they miss David Tyree despite making the game saving catch to set up the go ahead TD.

One play does not make a career unless your goal is to get on those NFL classic poles of great plays. If he comes out and averages 3.5 YPC again like he did this year, then he won't even be the starting RB come the end of next year and likely won't be on the team the following year. So, you can have your 1 TD run, I will take a guy like FJ who has a career average of 4.4 (which is very good) despite running behind a terrible O Line his whole career and is great in pass protection and receiving out of the back field...apparently the Bills FO will too.

So why did Lynch average just 3.0 yards per carry in the playoffs outside of that one run? Why did Lynch average just 3.5 yards per carry during the regular season? Why is his career YPC only 3.9? Why were people calling the Lynch trade a failure prior to that one run? Why did Lynch only get 4 carries in the very next game if he such a dominant force?

Why is FJ career YPC playing mostly on the same team 4.4?

And as far as other comment about TD's...Lynch is more of a goal line back and gets more goal line carries. But I will add that FJ had 5 TD's last year despite not playing the whole year or being the starter the whole year and Lynch had just one more. FJ is by far the better back and proved so constantly with them both here by carry and much more effective YPC and was a better receiver as well.

See comments above about coming in during the middle of the season to a new city, program offense, etc.

As explained earlier if you paid attention Jackson does have better vision and cut back running. I would hope a 9 year veteran would. No dispute there. Lynch and Jackson are different styles of RBs. Lynch is more of a pounder who is shifty and Jackson is a shifty guy who can pound. This isn't an indictment of Jackson as you would like to make it a Jackson vs Lynch thing. You guys are ridiculous with the polar opposite crap. "My guy is the best in the league and is so incredibly underrated and your guy is absolutely horrible and overrated." They are both good. Grow up!

Back on point! They were a good one two punch together and the fan hatred of him helped drive him out of town, caused us to use the #9 pick on a RB and set us back. I have VERY high hopes for Spiller but he hasn't done a damn thing yet and Freddy being north of 30 doesn't give me a good feeling going forward.

We should have held on to Lynch, used resources on the OL and we would have been looking pretty good.

By the way what low budget school did you go to where you get such a small sample size of carries in the play offs and you just decide to take out the longest run by the player? Why do you bother to post? Take away the immaculate reception and the steelers played a crappy game!!!

Edited by PDaDdy

Never really considered whether it was the best thing for him or not. I suppose the best thing for him would have been for fans to cut the kid some slack and let him mature and grow. Since certain vocal members of the fan base were poisoned against him it probably was the best thing for him but not a good thing for the Bills.

I think that is a function of playing in Buffalo. We are incredibly opinionated about certain players especially if they don't fit the western NY working class humble hero type image. In other cities I don't think it would have been NEARLY as big an issue.

Just sucks because we were absolutely fine with Lynch and Jackson but in addition to his own actions fans helped run him out of town.

He was arrested and suspended for 4 games, any fan of any team would have a problem with one of their players missing games.

Also, he's the one who held out of OTAs and requested a trade.

So go sign David Tyree then...you know the guy that saved the SB for the Giants with a one handed catch on his helmet against the Pats...he is available as he was cut that very offseason. Again, one play does not define overall success. Yes, it was a great play, but its still one play. Ask the Seahawk coaches if they care more about the one play, or the fact that he averages 3.5 YPC for them and went off for 2 yards total in 2nd round of the playoffs where they were eliminated by Chi and were sent home. Ask Giants fans if they miss David Tyree despite making the game saving catch to set up the go ahead TD.

One play does not make a career unless your goal is to get on those NFL classic poles of great plays. If he comes out and averages 3.5 YPC again like he did this year, then he won't even be the starting RB come the end of next year and likely won't be on the team the following year. So, you can have your 1 TD run, I will take a guy like FJ who has a career average of 4.4 (which is very good) despite running behind a terrible O Line his whole career and is great in pass protection and receiving out of the back field...apparently the Bills FO will too.

Your argument is seriously flawed. David Tyree was never the level of player Lynch is. Tyree's most productive year he had 19 catches for 197 yards and 2 touchdowns. Lynch is a far better player and comparing the two, as you are trying to do...is ridiculous. Are you saying Lynch has had only one good run his entire career? That argument should be for Mr. Tyree. I'm not saying Lynch is a HOF'er but the man has talent that isn't "average" in my opinion.

Hey, this was a conciliatory post by PDaDdy. Last week was the debate over how good/bad Marshawn is/was.

The original point was that it was a shame that the locals and other Bills fans were not more forgiving towards Marshawn… that he wasn't given the benefit of the doubt.

Addressing that, I would say that he did have multiple incidents which eroded his goodwill in the community. Yes Bills fans can be tough but I'm not certain that we're any more or less forgiving than fans in other cities. I joke about Bflo fans having run certain athletes out of town and we have. But that happens everywhere, not just in Bflo.

And I agree with Rockinon that a change of scenery was probably the best thing for all parties concerned.

I don't think anyone wishes any ill will towards Marshawn. He's the captain of his own ship… Pete Carroll has given Marshawn the opportunity to prove all of his detractors wrong.

Marshawn has the opportunity to re-build his reputation as a player and a person, all the while making pretty good money. He probably feels like he has a new lease on life and I think most people are happy for him.

The OL did him no favors on that play. Watch the video again.

The OL did not provide him ANY gap. AT ALL! He smashed into TWO defenders at the LOS, bounced right and smashed through ANOTHER defender at the LOS, broke three more tackles in the defensive backfield, B word SLAPPED a D-back and slipped right through two more. The downfield blocking was great, but the O-Line had very little to do with that TOUCHDOWN.

Beastmode proved worthy of the name on that play and we will see it on highlight reels from now on.

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land