Sunday Ticket

Yesterday I received this email from DirecTV:

Your NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ subscription is set to automatically renew for the 2011 season. Due to the NFL's uncertain labor situation, DIRECTV is offering all subscribers a no-risk policy. There will be absolutely no charge for your NFL SUNDAY TICKET subscription until it is confirmed that the 2011 NFL season will begin. What happens with your NFL SUNDAY TICKET subscription during the dispute?

A balance of $0.00 will show for the NFL SUNDAY TICKET portion of your bill

Once an agreement is reached, your subscription will renew for six easy payments of $53.99 each, plus five monthly payments of $9.99 each for NFL SUNDAY TICKET To-Go.

They quietly inserted a $24 rate increase over last year. Almost getting to the tipping point of just going to my local watering hole to watch the games.

All it will take is a simple call to "customer retention" and you'll get a minimum of $100 knocked off. Happens every year. At least for me, nothing beats watching at home or on my mobile device of choice.

All it will take is a simple call to "customer retention" and you'll get a minimum of $100 knocked off. Happens every year. At least for me, nothing beats watching at home or on my mobile device of choice.

Yeah, eball, and we've had a lot of fun here 'helping' each other call to feign dropping ST, just to reap these deals. Realistically, how long can this go on? They certainly have cowtow'ed every time I've pulled this -hell, I've got my dissertation down pat. Sooner or later, they're gonna wise up -no?

Yup! I'll try it again this year.:thumbsup:

Yeah, eball, and we've had a lot of fun here 'helping' each other call to feign dropping ST, just to reap these deals. Realistically, how long can this go on? They certainly have cowtow'ed every time I've pulled this -hell, I've got my dissertation down pat. Sooner or later, they're gonna wise up -no?

Yup! I'll try it again this year.:thumbsup:

You don't have to threaten anything... Just call, say it's expensive, and ask if they can reduce the price.

You can do the same thing to get money off of your bill once every year or so.

In addition, DirecTV gives out free rewards to long-time customers. They just gave me 3 months of Showtime for free (without asking) for my anniversary. :)

Yeah --Ii called last year and got quite a bit taken off (about $100) the subscription price. Let's face it, $325 is alot for thisproduct, when you can see football for free every week. I have been a subscriber for over 5 years now and will likely renew if they give me a discount, but if they don't, it'll probably be bye - bye. If that happens, I'll miss watching the Bills (in Virginia where I live they will be on almost never), but I'll survive. These past few years it's been difficult watching the team and it's bad play. Who knows if the NFL will even play this year.

I got that, I do the same thing year in and year out....very familiar w/ customer retention....I am sure they recognize me by name as I am always calling for discounts....in fact, I was able to get CI Race to the Cup for $9.....at the end of the day, it's still a $24 increase.

I have never called to threaten to leave or demand retention folks. I have subscribed since 1996 and just call in and mention I have read forums with others claiming they have received discounts etc. As someone else stated I usually get some reduction last few years have paid 169 - 199 a year. I dont push just a very cordial and friendly discussion with the CSR that answers and usually done in 5 minutes or less. Plus when ya consider ya can sit at home watching the game, can choose what games ya want it still beats the price of going to a sports bar and dropping 30$ a week.

Your NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ subscription is set to automatically renew for the 2011 season. Due to the NFL's uncertain labor situation, DIRECTV is offering all subscribers a no-risk policy. There will be absolutely no charge for your NFL SUNDAY TICKET subscription until it is confirmed that the 2011 NFL season will begin. What happens with your NFL SUNDAY TICKET subscription during the dispute?

Once an agreement is reached, your subscription will renew for six easy payments of $53.99 each, plus five monthly payments of $9.99 each for NFL SUNDAY TICKET To-Go.

They quietly inserted a $24 rate increase over last year. Almost getting to the tipping point of just going to my local watering hole to watch the games.

Or just go online and watch any game u want for free

Is that the non-HD Rate? Because I thought I paid more than that last Season...Who knows...It ain't cheap...That's for certain...The problem I've always had with the Ticket is, outside of Bills Games, I don't use it...AT ALL...It's one Game a week and then I watch what is Nationally Televised for the most part...Seems to me they could do something cheaper so you can just watch your Home Town Team...But whatever...It still got me through all these years witout missing a Down of Bills Football...Then again...Maybe that's not such a good thing... ;)

I have never called to threaten to leave or demand retention folks. I have subscribed since 1996 and just call in and mention I have read forums with others claiming they have received discounts etc. As someone else stated I usually get some reduction last few years have paid 169 - 199 a year. I dont push just a very cordial and friendly discussion with the CSR that answers and usually done in 5 minutes or less. Plus when ya consider ya can sit at home watching the game, can choose what games ya want it still beats the price of going to a sports bar and dropping 30$ a week.

This is exactly how my discussions go as well, although until a year or two ago I did need to get to customer retention to get the service. Now, it seems they have given the "normal" customer service reps the authority to make these changes.

Edited by eball

Is that the non-HD Rate? Because I thought I paid more than that last Season...Who knows...It ain't cheap...That's for certain...The problem I've always had with the Ticket is, outside of Bills Games, I don't use it...AT ALL...It's one Game a week and then I watch what is Nationally Televised for the most part...Seems to me they could do something cheaper so you can just watch your Home Town Team...But whatever...It still got me through all these years witout missing a Down of Bills Football...Then again...Maybe that's not such a good thing... ;)

Last year they included HD in the base program and made the higher option, I think they call it Superfan, the ability to watch it on your computer and phones. They tried to sneak that past me last year, automatically included Superfan on my bill because I paid for HD the previous 6-7 years, when you had to have Superfan to get HD. Prior to that you had to pay extra to see it in HD, but I am sure they got alot of bitching about that since most people now have HD televisions.

Same here...... I usually just watch the bills game then after that I have errands to run or things like that.... I barely get to watch a full slate of games... It's worth it to me to just stay home.... Sick of going to the bar and trying to save seats and then buying breakfast or lunch while there.... I have had it for I think 6 years now. I will call and get some sort of discount... Like every year...

I actually have come to enjoy my yearly calls with Direct-TV... :D

Edited by JR In Ann Arbor

Last year they included HD in the base program and made the higher option, I think they call it Superfan, the ability to watch it on your computer and phones. They tried to sneak that past me last year, automatically included Superfan on my bill because I paid for HD the previous 6-7 years, when you had to have Superfan to get HD. Prior to that you had to pay extra to see it in HD, but I am sure they got alot of bitching about that since most people now have HD televisions.

I remember a few years ago I did the automatic renewal like always and Week #1 at Game time I was trying to turn on the HD Channels and getting the error Message...I'm completely panicked... :lol: ...So I call and they're like..."It's an extra $99 for the HD Package"... :wallbash:

Sneaky bastards... B-)

I do that "retention" thing with my overall bill.

I am just the opposite of you guys. I get the ticket so I do not have to watch the Bills games.lol Once they are out of playoff contention, which is uaully around Columbus Day Weekend I just lose interest in them. It makes the games no fun when they do not mean anything. I always call & get a pretty good discount(the one time a few years ago I actually somehow got it the ticket for free with all the discounts they gave me). Last year I think I paid $160 for it. Anything more then that & I have a tough time justifying it to the wife considering I have season tickets to the Bills games also. As the older I get it is nice watching the games from the comfort of my basement. Last year for the Jets game/Jaguars game & the Steelers game I actually got up tailgated at the stadium at 8am & had my wife pick me up at 12:55 & went home & watched the ticket.(I live about 15 minutes away from the stadium). Nice way to spend a Sunday.

I am just the opposite of you guys. I get the ticket so I do not have to watch the Bills games.lol Once they are out of playoff contention, which is uaully around Columbus Day Weekend I just lose interest in them. It makes the games no fun when they do not mean anything. I always call & get a pretty good discount(the one time a few years ago I actually somehow got it the ticket for free with all the discounts they gave me). Last year I think I paid $160 for it. Anything more then that & I have a tough time justifying it to the wife considering I have season tickets to the Bills games also. As the older I get it is nice watching the games from the comfort of my basement. Last year for the Jets game/Jaguars game & the Steelers game I actually got up tailgated at the stadium at 8am & had my wife pick me up at 12:55 & went home & watched the ticket.(I live about 15 minutes away from the stadium). Nice way to spend a Sunday.

There's usually 2 games on when the Bills are on...

There's usually 2 games on when the Bills are on...

Not all the time & besides I have 3 tvs down in my basement. One 50 inch & then 2 small ones mounted on the back of the bar. I get to watch 3 games at once. If you bet the games like I do it makes it alot more fun this way.

Just made my call regarding the Ticket. They are only going to charge me $161.00 for the NFL Sunday ticket this season if the season happens at all. That is the lowest I've ever gotten them down to. I was stubborn and told them they had to take off a certain amount of money per monthly bill even if the season doesn't happen. They agreed. It was fun getting them down lower. They had me on hold for about five minutes once I said I wasn't paying anything over $175. You have to be rough with them and don't fall for their other offers (free showtime and other channel crap). Tell them you demand money taken off or you are out. They will do it.

Yeah --Ii called last year and got quite a bit taken off (about $100) the subscription price. Let's face it, $325 is alot for thisproduct, when you can see football for free every week. I have been a subscriber for over 5 years now and will likely renew if they give me a discount, but if they don't, it'll probably be bye - bye. If that happens, I'll miss watching the Bills (in Virginia where I live they will be on almost never), but I'll survive. These past few years it's been difficult watching the team and it's bad play. Who knows if the NFL will even play this year.

I agree that 325 is a good chunk of change but if you get the discount others are talking about this is still far less expensive than attending games. Between tickets, parking, tailgate fare, a beer or two inside the stadium and the hassle of negotiating game traffic $325 doesn't seem like much.