Aaron Maybin

That definately SUCKS about his son, but I don't buy into that at all. The death of his son was definately a distraction but please don't make it an excuse for why he sucks so much. If anything, it should be a catalyst for him to work even harder and be an even better player. I don't buy this one bit.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see the guy play a whole game just once. Sad news about his son, and I'm not sure it was meant to provide an excuse for him, which I don't see it as that anyway. I am a firm believer in the ideology that the more you play, the more consistent you get. Last season the team was trying desperately to avoid an 0-16 season, and maybin got lost in the mix. Excuse? no, just the reality that he's not effective right now, and the coaching staff played the more effective players to salvage a season.

All I want to see moving forward is to play the guy. Let him play a whole game, or more. he's collecting a ton of money, make the guy sweat a little to earn it.

Its hard not to give up on a player that has given you zero in two season when he was drafted 11th overall. BUT Maybin was drafted when this team was running a Tampa 2 4-3. Granted he showed nothing in that 1st season but he was just too small for an NFL 4-3. Then the team switched to a 3-4 where Maybin's lack of size could be compensated for as a OLB. BUT Maybin never played in a 3-4 or as a OLB.

So the guy didn't preform in a system he never played in and at a position that he never played at. It wasn't exactly a perfect fit (Throw in that news about his son as well that couldn't have helped). Now I am not very hopeful in Aaron Maybin but the guy does deserve a shot to make the team in 2011. If he shows up to camp in shape and motivated you have to allow the guy a chance.

In the end the guy might still have something. He is very young and maybe might still turn up aces for the Bills. Although I doubt it.

Edited by billsfan89

Its hard not to give up on a player that has given you zero in two season when he was drafted 11th overall. BUT Maybin was drafted when this team was running a Tampa 2 4-3. Granted he showed nothing in that 1st season but he was just too small for an NFL 4-3. Then the team switched to a 3-4 where Maybin's lack of size could be compensated for as a OLB. BUT Maybin never played in a 3-4 or as a OLB.

So the guy didn't preform in a system he never played in and at a position that he never played at. It wasn't exactly a perfect fit (Throw in that news about his son as well that couldn't have helped). Now I am not very hopeful in Aaron Maybin but the guy does deserve a shot to make the team in 2011. If he shows up to camp in shape and motivated you have to allow the guy a chance.

In the end the guy might still have something. He is very young and maybe might still turn up aces for the Bills. Although I doubt it.

Concur.

I'm not a fan of Maybin - I hesitate to call him a bust (if only because it's not his fault he was picked too high), but I don't think he'll amount to much of anything in the league.

But while he hasn't exactly made the most of the opportunities he's been given, it's impossible to avoid the fact that those opportunites, as you point out, have largely been dog ****.

At the end of the day you earn a spot on the roster of you don't. You show an ability to start or you don't. So far Maybin has earned nothing but a ticket out. He isn't going to get much of a shot this year, and he'd bettr bring his A game to camp...the smart money is on him not being around come the regular season unless he shows a lot more than has to date.

There are new people incharge of Pro personnel and they report to Doug Whaley who comes from the 'Burgh so no FO witch hunt is needed.

Don't forget Harrison was cut a few times by the 'Burgh before he became somebody. I don't think Maybin is a case of the Bills not developing him sometimes its up to the individual (and HGH.)

Gotcha!

I think it's very telling that in our discussion of what the starting defense will look like in week 17, that Maybin's name wasn't even mentioned.

Personally, I think that discussion has 0% influence on Maybin, the coaching staff or anyone within the Bill's organization. It's just a bunch of discussion by fans on a message board. What do we know?

Personally, I think that discussion has 0% influence on Maybin, the coaching staff or anyone within the Bill's organization. It's just a bunch of discussion by fans on a message board. What do we know?

That's not my point.

My point is that fan expectations that Maybin will turn his career around are very low.

Unfortunately, even as one of the more optimistic posters on this board, this is a pessimism that I share.

His body of work is that he had 4-5 good games in college his last season, before being totally ineffective in the Rose Bowl and then being drafted too highly by the Bills.

In the time since being drafted, Maybin has given us ample visual evidence that he's neither strong or instinctive enough to become a good NFL player.

Every time it's reported that he's gained weight, the reported weight is the same or less than he was at the combine.

In addition, comments from the coaching staff have been cryptic at best.

As a very loyal Bills fan, I hope to hell I'm wrong about Maybin, but like most other observers (getting back to my point), I think he'll bust.

That definately SUCKS about his son, but I don't buy into that at all. The death of his son was definately a distraction but please don't make it an excuse for why he sucks so much. If anything, it should be a catalyst for him to work even harder and be an even better player. I don't buy this one bit.

i don't know the man, i don't know what his issues are, but these words say an awful lot about where your head is at: The death of his son was definately a distraction. yeah, like sunglare, and tube tops. just like that.

i'd think you have it backwards, football is actually the distraction here.

Edited by timmo1805

i don't know the man, i don't know what his issues are, but these words say an awful lot about where your head is at: The death of his son was definately a distraction. yeah, like sunglare, and tube tops. just like that.

i'd think you have it backwards, football is actually the distraction here.

Thank you, timmo for reminding us where priorities should really lie. I wanted to say something, but just couldn't think of an appropriate way to say it. :thumbsup:

First off, let's be realistic, he is not the extraordinary athlete some Bills fans thought they were getting. He's a 4.78 40 guy, not a 4.5 as you would like to see in a tweener picked that high. But more importantly, there is no power in his game. He is not physical. Combine unexceptional athleticism with a lack of power and you get no playing time in the NFL.

First off, let's be realistic, he is not the extraordinary athlete some Bills fans thought they were getting. He's a 4.78 40 guy, not a 4.5 as you would like to see in a tweener picked that high. But more importantly, there is no power in his game. He is not physical. Combine unexceptional athleticism with a lack of power and you get no playing time in the NFL.

You don't care that he lost his infant son?

Concur.

I'm not a fan of Maybin - I hesitate to call him a bust (if only because it's not his fault he was picked too high), but I don't think he'll amount to much of anything in the league.

But while he hasn't exactly made the most of the opportunities he's been given, it's impossible to avoid the fact that those opportunites, as you point out, have largely been dog ****.

WTF is YOUR definition of a bust? Maybin is definately a BUST. :wallbash:

So by your definition, Jamarcus Russell wasn't a bust...Ryan Leaf wasn't a bust...Tim Couch weren't busts because it wasn't their fault they were picked that high? Lay down the pipe and stop puffin.

Edited by DreReed83

So by your definition, Jamarcus Russell wasn't a bust...Ryan Leaf wasn't a bust...Tim Couch weren't busts because it wasn't their fault they were picked that high? Lay down the pipe and stop puffin.

Take it easy, Dre. Jeez…

I suppose that you would be able to concentrate fully on your job just weeks after your infant son dies? I know, you're always right. I guess being right is far more important than being fair.

I suppose that you would be able to concentrate fully on your job just weeks after your infant son dies? I know, you're always right. I guess being right is far more important than being fair.

Yea....When Favre's dad died, the day before he played MNF, he totally sucked it up that night. What's your excuse for his poor play his rookie year? Any excuses?

PS. I am always right.

Edited by DreReed83

You don't care that he lost his infant son?

Hey, unlike you, I was never mad at the guy. If you feel like you have to apologize to him go ahead.

His primary problem is a lack of talent. He was mid-round talent, a guy you take a shot on in the 4th or 5th round and hope the carrot of a potential payday on that second contract motivates him to dedicate himself to the game and improve upon his adequate physical starting point. Instead, he became an instant millionaire. To me, the bigger issue than his poor play is the incompetence of the people who drafted him. When you are drafting players you need to take so many aspects into account. The Bills fell in love with Donte's charisma and overdrafted an undersized SS with marginal instincts. They fell in love with Marshawn Lynch's determined running style, and ignored his lack of speed and quickness. With Maybin, it was his first step. With CJ it was his speed. All these guys had serious warts that should have prevented the Bills from drafting them that high. A top ten pick should have all the physical and mental characteristics needed to succeed, not just one or the other.

Edited by Dick Drawn