DOES THE STOPPAGE LEVEL THE FIELD?

I feel it will have little on impact on veteran laden teams with good talent and leadership. Especially those teams with great QBs and OLines.

The Bills, OTOH, may well be be hindered. Young teams with many rookies and 2nd year players being counted on to contribute key minutes in key roles need all the time in the system they can get.

GO BILLS!!!

If anything it should clearly be the opposite. The way we gain is our young guys outplaying their older guys. That doesn't tend to happen without practice. Their abnormally fresh legs, and years of experience will likely shine in this situation.

They of course being pretty much any team that we need to gain on.

I would think that any missed time will favor teams with better coaching. By better I mean specifically more adaptable, more creative and more organized coaching. In the event of a work stoppage lasting into training camp, expect the first few games to be sloppier than Michelle Ryan's toes. Teams with new coaches, no matter how adaptable, and teams installing new offenses and defenses will obviously be at a tremendous disadvantage.

I suppose it levels the field in the short term, and will likely result in some interesting playoff races. Hopefully we won't find out.

I feel it will have little on impact on veteran laden teams with good talent and leadership. Especially those teams with great QBs and OLines.

The Bills, OTOH, may well be be hindered. Young teams with many rookies and 2nd year players being counted on to contribute key minutes in key roles need all the time in the system they can get.

GO BILLS!!!

Yup. No question the lockout hurts the Bills.

Yup. No question the lockout hurts the Bills.

i cant really come to a definitive conclusion that's why i am asking. once camps, OTA'S start, whatever, i thought maybe everyone starts equally or is equally behind. but talent level is the key and the bills arent there yet, i guess.

Edited by dwight in philly

i cant really come to a definitive conclusion that's why i am asking. once camps, OTA'S start, whatever, i thought maybe everyone starts equally or is equally behind. but talent level is the key and the bills arent there yet, i guess.

From a player perspective I expect discipline to trump talent in the event missed OTAs and camp time. Look at how Revis, even with his extraordianry talent, performed in the first few weeks after sitting out all of training camp. Now imagine everyone missing camp, showing up without the reps, conditioning, and film time. The players who were disciplined in conditioning and study time will have the early edge.

If camp time is short, expect a lot of pulled hammys, cramps, and 4th quarter let downs to be the story in the first few weeks of the season. Games will be won by better conditioning and execution of the fundamentals.

Anyways, the consensus from reading articles and the application of common sense is that the teams with established systems and players will be hurt the least.

Obviously, the teams with rookie head coaches… especially those who weren't already with the organization will be hurt the most… all things being equal. And there are a lot of rookie head coaches although again, some were promoted from within.

Ron Rivera is coming in cold at Carolina. Totally new systems I believe. I suspect they will have another very tough year.

Same for John Fox at Denver. No holdovers, no continuity, changing both the offense and the defense. It wouldn't surprise me if Carolina and Denver finished 31 and 32 again next year.

I expect Fritz Shurmur, the new Cleveland Head Coach to have a rough year. He's installing a new offense (West Coast) and switching the defense to a 4-3 on a young team that has floundered the last two seasons.

In Oakland, Hue Jackson takes over for Tom Cable but I believe that most of the coaching staff remains intact and in fact Jackson was promoted from OC so they should have lots of continuity there.

Same with Jason Garrett in Dallas… Leslie Frazier in Minnesota and Mike Munchak in Tennessee. These last 4 teams have new head coaches but all were promoted from within and will be changing some, but not all things.

Obviously teams like Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New England, etc will be affected the least… at least in theory.

Also, in a typical offseason, an NFL team will hold about 21 days of minicamps and OTAs. During this time players (rookies included) have the opportunity to workout, meet in positional groups, chat with coaches, and watch game film. The team also provides them with meals when they're at the facility.

On top of that, in the time between these minicamps and OTAs, many players are at the team facilities doing all those things that make it easier to teach and learn a new system.

All told, this is a 3 month block of the offseason BEFORE training camp where teams have a chance to gel.

By being deprived of these workouts the new coaching regimes are much more severely handicapped than in years past and at more of a competitive disadvantage compared to established programs.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Several simulations have been run to predict the effects of missed practice time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjFXnJc0Q0U

As you can see some players may even forget the rules, and run out of bounds rather than into the endzone. It may take 6 to 8 weeks to re-educate the players. Some "trickier" rules such as what happens if the overtime period ends in a tie, may take a lifetime.

Several simulations have been run to predict the effects of missed practice time.

youtube.com/watch?v=TjFXnJc0Q0U

As you can see some players may even forget the rules, and run out of bounds rather than into the endzone. It may take 6 to 8 weeks to re-educate the players. Some "trickier" rules such as what happens if the overtime period ends in a tie, may take a lifetime.

This is highly disturbing. I don't know how you got your hands on this simulation but if it goes viral, there's a chance that it could really affect ticket sales… and not in a good way.

Thanks for posting that video… but like I said, I found it disturbing to watch. We really have to hope the two sides work things out before the quality of the play deteriorates to this level.