would you want carson palmer for a mid round pick?

That's a bit out of context, no? He wasn't anointed the the better QB by his play on the field, rather by some misguided judgement of the FO "going w/ their guy."

I think it is certainly within context. I absolutely agree that Bledsoe was the better QB at the time. We agree there. My point is even though the judgement was misguided, Bledsoe apparently wasn't playing QB at a high enough level to hold off a really raw second year guy who they saw better mobility and upside with at the time.

There are different ways to look at it. One way is taking ownership of your destiny. If you are playing at a high enough level you don't get benched. Although he was playing at a higher level than JP he wasn't playing well enough to not get benched for the assumed "future" at the time.

Farve held off Aaron Rogers for years. Not because Rogers sucked. Not because Green Bay didn't see Rogers as the future. It was because Brett played well enough to take the job despite the natural tendency to give your young guy the reigns.

Edited by PDaDdy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Wow?" You're kidding right? You throw in Flutie and act shocked and amazed? "Holy sensationalism batman!" Good call on Flutie but look back with open eyes not rose colored glasses. Flutie's QB numbers were pretty similar to Fitz last year. Bledsoe? He had one good year and was even replaced by JP Losman. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I seriously question whether you "really like Fitz". Do you actually like him and just have a distorted view of Flutie and Bledsoe's history thinking they were SO much better than Fitz OR are you just saying you really like Fitz in an attempt to seem like you are providing an unbiased opinion when you say he is no where near what the other 2 were when the numbers clearly show he was?

For your info, I "really do like Fitz" but I am not ready to put him on the Wall of Fame like some of you, and am quite confident he will never end up there either. He is an underdog who gives his all every game, plays his heart out and gets the most out of his physical abilities, which is where he is lacking in being a franchise quarterback. For every good play in a clutch situation that Fitz made me made an even worse bad play with a stupid decision on an interception, or just an interception because he over threw it or didn't have the arm to get it there. I have even talked to him at camp a couple years ago and he is a really down to earth guy, but that doesn't translate to winning on the field or me "not really liking him." If you are lucky someday they will make Fathead stickers of him for your bedroom wall then you will never have to leave the house.

Isn't that what happened with Merriman. Nobody was willing to grab him while it was going to cost a draft pick. As soon as he was released the Bills snapped him up. With Palmer's big contract, many teams may take a pass until Cincy simply lets him go. Not that uncertain is it?

Big difference between Palmer and Merriman-Palmer has been able to get on the field the last few seasons, not spent three or four straight seasons mainly on the Injured Reserve List. Someone will trade for Palmer if the Bengals decide to trade him, but I am quite sure it won't be Buffalo and it shouldn't be. He is a good fit for a team that is a veteran QB away from being a serious contender, we are 70% of the roster away from being a serious contender.

For your info, I "really do like Fitz" but I am not ready to put him on the Wall of Fame like some of you, and am quite confident he will never end up there either. He is an underdog who gives his all every game, plays his heart out and gets the most out of his physical abilities, which is where he is lacking in being a franchise quarterback. For every good play in a clutch situation that Fitz made me made an even worse bad play with a stupid decision on an interception, or just an interception because he over threw it or didn't have the arm to get it there. I have even talked to him at camp a couple years ago and he is a really down to earth guy, but that doesn't translate to winning on the field or me "not really liking him." If you are lucky someday they will make Fathead stickers of him for your bedroom wall then you will never have to leave the house.

What a coincidence I'm not ready to put him on the wall of fame either. I see you are sticking with the sensationalist comment tact.

Personally I look at QB play for the most part independently of TEAM record. Sure Flutie won more games with the a top 3 ranked Wade Phillips defense. Sure Bledsoe won more games with a top 5 ranked Gregg Williams defense. I'm looking at TDs, yards, balls, QB rating to an extent, etc.

For a QB you really like you have a lot of negatives that you point out. I wonder what it is you like so much about him that overcomes all of the things you think he sucks at so that you overall really like him ???? ;)

Sounds a little fake.

Edited by PDaDdy

Alex Smith, Tim Couch, Vince Young, and several others were first round picks who were benched for lower drafted players, because of playing ability. In fact, Losman was a first round pick, and he was benched for a few different QBs drafted much lower than him, and at least one GM let that happen. I like Fitz, but even though Palmer is not anywhere the QB he was 5 years ago, even today he is better than Fitz, and draft position doesn't have a single thing to do with it. Some people on this board have a serious man crush on Fitz, maybe becuase he is the underdog or likeable, and he is both of those, but he isn't the answer at QB, and probably had his best career season last year. The man crush if blurring their vision of just how good Fitz is, he is a very good career backup at best. Now I am not saying I want Palmer here, what this team needs is a young (rookie) QB with the potential to be the franchise QB we have so lacked for a decade and a half now.

You are kidding right? I really like Fitz, but he is nowhere near the QB that Flutie or Bledsoe were when they were here. Wow?

100% agreed....Just because Fitz did better than Losman and Edwards combined in the last 3 seasons doesn't mean he is a starting caliber QB in this league. Carson Palmer is a starting QB in the league and will pick him over Fitz. Fitz is a very good backup in the Frank Reich mold,but not a 16 game starter just like how the Panthers found out about Reich.

What a coincidence I'm not ready to put him on the wall of fame either. I see you are sticking with the sensationalist comment tact.

Personally I look at QB play for the most part independently of TEAM record. Sure Flutie won more games with the a top 3 ranked Wade Phillips defense. Sure Bledsoe won more games with a top 5 ranked Gregg Williams defense. I'm looking at TDs, yards, balls, QB rating to an extent, etc.

For a QB you really like you have a lot of negatives that you point out. I wonder what it is you like so much about him that overcomes all of the things you think he sucks at so that you overall really like him ???? ;)

Sounds a little fake.

I am fake, but you think a quarterback has nothing to do with the team's record? The Colts would be in Los Angeles right now if it weren't for Peyton Manning. So you could put Fitz on the 90's Bills and they still go to 4 straight Super Bowls? You need to quit, you are sounding more clueless with each post. I wasn't pointing out anymore negatives than positives about Fitz, just facts.