would you want carson palmer for a mid round pick?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want palmer we got fitz.

Absolutely Yes....Palmer is way better than Fitz. Palmer is a pretty accurate QB and does not make many mistakes. Without superstar divas, Palmer may actually play pretty well here in Buffalo. The question is: Does he want to come to Buffalo?

:wacko:

So Palmer lost the starting job to Fitzpatrick in Cincinnati, never fully regained his old form after the torn tendon/ligament in 2008, sucked last season, but now should come to the Bills and replace Fitz?

(And the Bills should give up a 3rd round pick for this guy that has stated he wants to retire???)

Oh...OK...I get it now...this is one of those comic threads you see so much of in the offseason! :doh:

Edited by The Senator

Nope. The Bills are building a young team and Fitz is part of that and from what I can tell, is seen as a leader by his teammates.

It's one thing to draft a QB of the future next year, but to bring in an aging vet on the downside of his career to get a marginal boost in talent isn't worth the cost in the locker room.

is it worth it giving up a mid round pick for a guy that would probably only play in Buffalo one year?

why cant people accept the fact that Fitz is the Bills starting QB next year

So Palmer lost the starting job to Fitzpatrick in Cincinnati, never fully regained his old form after the torn tendon/ligament in 2008, sucked last season, but now should come to the Bills and replace Fitz?

(And the Bills should give up a 3rd round pick for this guy that has stated he wants to retire???)

Oh...OK...I get it now...this is one of those comic threads you see so much of in the offseason! :doh:

Palmer never "lost the starting job to Fitz" he got injured. Big difference.

Palmer sucked last season? He threw for almost 4000 yards and 26 TD's...Far better than any Bill in a long time (I don't think any Bill has ever thrown for that many yards and TD's in the same season actually)...And you can't use TO as an excuse, the Bills had him the prior year...

As a matter of fact, Palmer averages 4000 yards and 26 TD's per season when he's been healthy, on a consistently bad team. The Bengals are a poorly coached team with some big names but a lack of overall talent.

If you are going to quote someone don't do it out of context. He said he'd consider retiring IF the Bengals don't let him go. An obvious bluff.

I am not saying Palmer is a great QB, or would be that big of an improvement over Fitz...But those statements were a little off.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

(=

Probably not. If we were even a decent team, that adding a veteran quarterback might propel us into contention it may be a good idea. We are nowhere close to contending yet, so all bringing someone like Carson in would do is delay grooming a young quarterback to be the future of this franchise (if we ever get one) by the time we are competitive.

Palmer never "lost the starting job to Fitz" he got injured. Big difference.

Palmer sucked last season? He threw for almost 4000 yards and 26 TD's...Far better than any Bill in a long time...And you can't use TO as an excuse, the Bills had him the prior year...

As a matter of fact, Palmer averages 4000 yards and 26 TD's per season when he's been healthy, on a consistently bad team. The Bengals are a poorly coached team with some big names but a lack of overall talent.

If you are going to quote someone don't do it out of context. He said he'd consider retiring IF the Bengals don't let him go. An obvious bluff.

I am not saying Palmer is a great QB, or would be that big of an improvement over Fitz...But those statements were a little off.

:oops:

I stand corrected!

I shouldn't have said Palmer sucked. I should have said his 2010 stats (16 games/3970 yards/26 TDs/20 INTs/82.4 rating) were no more impressive than Fitz (13 games/300 yards/23 TDs/15 INTs/81.8 rating) put up with a tougher schedule, a 'lesser' receivers corps, and being thrown into the starting role 3 games into the season after Chan Gailey's Trent Edwards fiasco.

Palmer has stated that, "I will never set foot in Paul Brown Stadium again"; "I have $80 million in the bank. I don't have to play football for money. I'll play it for the love of the game, but that would have to be elsewhere."

Palmer has also told Begals coach Marvin Lewis that he plans to retire. (Marv Levy once noted that when a player starts thinking about retirement he already has retired.)

For all those reasons (and throw in the 'He's from SoCal' thing too) I just don't think Palmer's a good fit here.

(Therefore, he'll probably be wearing a Bills uniform this Fall! :beer: )

Edited by The Senator

Probably not. If we were even a decent team, that adding a veteran quarterback might propel us into contention it may be a good idea. We are nowhere close to contending yet, so all bringing someone like Carson in would do is delay grooming a young quarterback to be the future of this franchise (if we ever get one) by the time we are competitive.

True. The Bill's all ready know they are not going to get that 10 year QB of the future, this year. What they do need is someone to back up Fitz, this year. They simply can not go into the season with Levi Brown as the only back up. They will target someone with either more experience such as Palmer or try to find a young guy that has great potential.

The thing is, I do not see the Bills giving up a draft pick for an older, stop gap QB. I think the Bills value their draft picks and will likely go after someone that doesn't require losing a draft pick first. If they can't find someone suitable, they may have no choice. If that is the case, they will go after a quality starter because you don't give up a draft pick for just so so player. It is hard to imagine things coming to giving up a draft pick though.

As for Palmer, it is very unlikely that he will actually be available in the first place

No. 1) Palmer wants to start, not be a back up. 2) As a starter he would be no better than Fitz who the other Bills respect and follow. 3) There are adequate backups available in free agency that won't cost us draft picks. 4) Drew Bledsoe.

PTR

:oops:

I stand corrected!

I shouldn't have said Palmer sucked. I should have said his 2010 stats (16 games/3970 yards/26 TDs/20 INTs/82.4 rating) were no more impressive than Fitz (13 games/300 yards/23 TDs/15 INTs/81.8 rating) put up with a tougher schedule, a 'lesser' receivers corps, and being thrown into the starting role 3 games into the season after Chan Gailey's Trent Edwards fiasco.

Palmer has stated that, "I will never set foot in Paul Brown Stadium again"; "I have $80 million in the bank. I don't have to play football for money. I'll play it for the love of the game, but that would have to be elsewhere."

Palmer has also told Begals coach Marvin Lewis that he plans to retire. (Marv Levy once noted that when a player starts thinking about retirement he already has retired.)

For all those reasons (and throw in the 'He's from SoCal' thing too) I just don't think Palmer's a good fit here.

(Therefore, he'll probably be wearing a Bills uniform this Fall! :beer: )

I can agree with that statement regarding his 2010 season, and for the record I don't think Palmer would be a big improvement over Fitz.

But again, while those quotes are accurate, theretirement thing is completely out of context. If you followed that situation or read ANY of the articles on the matter, he was clearly threatening to retire after the Bengals stated they would not let him go. No one involved actually believed or believes he will really retire.

Heh. Just another desperate vote of no confidence in Fitz. Let the guy play a freakin season going in as the starter. He has been the best Bills QB since Jim Kelly and the one year Bledsoe did well for us with a highly ranked defense.

I don't know why people are so quick to want to throw out any BS at QB as long as it isn't Fitz. Give the guy a freakin shot. Maybe we should be giving up a mid round pick for a freakin RT, LT, RG or a run stopping/pass rushing OLB.

What a waste of resources.

I can agree with that statement regarding his 2010 season, and for the record I don't think Palmer would be a big improvement over Fitz.

But again, while those quotes are accurate, theretirement thing is completely out of context. If you followed that situation or read ANY of the articles on the matter, he was clearly threatening to retire after the Bengals stated they would not let him go. No one involved actually believed or believes he will really retire.

Well, Mike Brown did draft Andy Dalton with the #35 overall pick - so Brown might be a 'believer' in the retirement threats.

In any case, given the rancor that exists between Palmer and the Bengals - along with their nabbing Dalton in the draft, it does appear that Palmer is done in Cincinnati. If that's the case, why offer a mid-round pick for the guy? Wouldn't most teams just wait for him to be released? (Kind of like everyone did when it was obvious the Bills were done with Bledsoe?)

(=

NO!!!!... but I would want a LT or a RT or RG or a OLB for a mid round pick. If we are willing to give up a mid round pick to get somebody why not use it to fill a position of need instead of back hand bashing Fitz?

NO!!!!... but I would want a LT or a RT or RG or a OLB for a mid round pick. If we are willing to give up a mid round pick to get somebody why not use it to fill a position of need instead of back hand bashing Fitz?

Now that makes good sense.

How 'bout we just grab Giants' FA OG/OT Kevin Boothe to fill a need, add some OL depth, and to...

REVERSE THE CURSE!!!! B-)