BREAKING NEWS: progress in lock-out

Sal Pal, on ESPN, is saying that a judge in Minneapolis has ordered that owners to make a new offer the the players...they will negotiate for 4 more hours tonight, and possibly tomorrow...scene described as "positive" and feeling that a "break through has been made", and there has been "significant progress"!

Edited by Buftex

The owners have some leverage now if the reports on the 8th Circuit stay are accurate. It now is in the NFLPA*''s interest to negotiate.

I guess I am not understanding...according to Sal Pal, it sounds more like it is in the owners best interest to negotiate a deal, before June 3rd. If they don't, there will be a hearing to determine the validity of the previous ruling by the judge, who lifted the lockout, the day after the draft.

Either way, it sounds like the courts are forcing some action...

It sure didn't sound like negotiations were heating up in the commissioners call that just ended. He just kept complaining that the players lawyers were more interested in litigating than negotiating.

Funny, everything I read on line sounds bad (articles just written in the last hour), but it is "Breaking News" on SportsCenter. I guess the "optimistic" take was from Carl Eller

The deal the owners made a few years ago was bad enough that recently, all the NFL owners--all 32 of them--voted to opt out of it. A lockout would help restore a more equitable balance between players and owners. Keeping players' salaries from getting too out of control is necessary for the long-term good of the league. It also helps that the Bills would get the third overall draft pick in 2012 if a year-long lockout were to occur. Finally, a lockout might convince players that the confrontational and unreasonable tone used by the NFLPA had not been in players' best interests.

Eighth Circuit tips its hand; Judge Nelson’s ruling is in serious jeopardy

Posted by Mike Florio on May 16, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT

MootFestival-01

A full 17 days after the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit issued a temporary stay of the order lifting the lockout until the Eighth Circuit could rule on a motion for a full stay pending resolution of the appeal of Judge Susan Nelson’s April 25 decision, the Eighth Circuit has decided to extend the stay.

The written opinion extends much farther than that.

Here’s the money quote, from page 11: “[W]e have serious doubts that the district court had jurisdiction to enjoin the League’s lockout, and accordingly conclude that the League has made a strong showing that it is likely to succeed on the merits.”

Uh-oh.

Though some may view the Eighth Circuit’s 14-page ruling as a gratuitous tipping of the court’s hand as to the looming appeal of Judge Nelson’s ruling, the truth is that the motion for a stay filed by the league represents, in many respects, a mirror image of the motion for preliminary relief filed by the players on March 11. To secure a lifting of the lockout while the lawsuit proceeds, the players had to show that they’ll suffer “irreparable harm,” that they are likely to succeed on the merits of the case, and that a balance of the overall fairness of the case favors of the players. To obtain a stay of the order lifting the lockout, the NFL was required to make a “strong showing” that it is likely to succeed on the merits, that it will suffer irreparable harm without a stay, and that fairness and the public interest favor the league’s position.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/16/eighth-circuit-tips-its-hand-judge-nelsons-ruling-is-in-serious-jeopardy/

It's just a matter of jurisdiction. We will see what DeSmith motives are, keep fighting or go back to the negotiation table.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/16/eighth-circuit-tips-its-hand-judge-nelsons-ruling-is-in-serious-jeopardy/

It's just a matter of jurisdiction. We will see what DeSmith motives are, keep fighting or go back to the negotiation table.

DeSmith is in WAY over his head. He tried to play hardball, but he's trying to go against an army with a handgun. If he wants to draw a line in the sand and have a stand off he's going to go down with his ego, because the owners are rich with or without the league. The players and NFLPA are bums without the league.

DeSmith is in WAY over his head. He tried to play hardball, but he's trying to go against an army with a handgun. If he wants to draw a line in the sand and have a stand off he's going to go down with his ego, because the owners are rich with or without the league. The players and NFLPA are bums without the league.

I agree with you, I think he was not the right man for the job if the job is negotiation. He's a fantastic litigation laywer but he didn't fit with what the situation called.

+10000...

Unrelated to DeSmith... The evil one, Bob Kraft, spoke out this weekend as well:

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/Jim_Donaldson_Patriots_Kraft_NFL_05-17-11_S2O_v2.25167a9.html

In the end, the fans just want football. They don’t want to hear about all this meaningless squabbling. We have a great business. We have to sit down with the principals and find a way to solve it.

is it just me or is the NFL commish strickly for the owners???? i thought he was supposed to be imparshel

No the Commish acts as a proxy for the owners. The owners and the owners alone vote him into power. Basically he is a extension of ownership.

http://profootballta...rious-jeopardy/

You are correct- it's just jurisdiction.

But by mandating that the NLRB determine if the decertification is a sham, the players are looking at no football until the NLRB hears the case in 2012 if they want to keep fighting

or they could fire DeSmith and negotiate a new deal - before the terms keep getting worse the longer they wait.

De Smith built at least 90% of an a knockout litigation strategy. They appear to be one federal court judge away from winning a devastating, knockout punch which would permanently shift the balance of power away from ownership, not only in the NFL but potentially in all four major sports. It's sounding like he's not going to get that last judge, so it's all for naught, but if the players take a deal in June, they're basically going to end up with nothing lost: nobody's missed a game check yet. If we're talking in strict strategic terms, I think the players' strategy was risky, but not stupid.

Both sides had an enormous trump card - the players had decertification, the owners had their lockout payments from the league. Those were too powerful to stay in the drawer, and both got played. Both are set to be defeated in courts. So with all the excitement over, they can get back to a real starting point for negotiations.

Yes, but he's got some very stylin' hats.

is it just me or is the NFL commish strickly for the owners???? i thought he was supposed to be imparshel

I'm nothing if not imparshel.