Mike Jasper tv report

Ok, someone needs to clue me in on what I am missing here. Where is all the excitement coming from about this kid who is a 7th round pick and a long shot to make the team with a crowded D Line in front of him all ready? I don't mean that to knock the kid, I am just asking someone to clue me in on why this kid keeps getting so many threads started on him. We have some great prospects out of this draft, but this kid is being talked about more than any of our first 3 picks who are all potential day 1 starters.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great he is generating so much support, I just curious to where it is coming from as I had not heard a peep about him prior to the draft or during the draft until we picked him up.

The "clue" is he is 375 and moves like someone a hundred pounds lighter. His workout numbers were pretty impressive.

PTR

Kinda cool to see late round picks get so much talk on this board. Last year it was Wang and how he was going to ignite Bills fever in China, and this year Jasper. I suspect late rounders don't get much airtime on other teams fan boards.

I suspect you are wrong. Human nature makes many of us pull for the underdog.

Ok, someone needs to clue me in on what I am missing here. Where is all the excitement coming from about this kid who is a 7th round pick and a long shot to make the team with a crowded D Line in front of him all ready? I don't mean that to knock the kid, I am just asking someone to clue me in on why this kid keeps getting so many threads started on him. We have some great prospects out of this draft, but this kid is being talked about more than any of our first 3 picks who are all potential day 1 starters.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great he is generating so much support, I just curious to where it is coming from as I had not heard a peep about him prior to the draft or during the draft until we picked him up.

Jasper is not a "long shot" to make the team in any way. The Bills front office has been watching this guy for close to two years, while accidentally stumbling upon him during a visit to see another player. Jasper was not on any draft board in the NFL, but the Bills insisted on drafting him due to the lockout. This way they could have Kyle Williams show him the ins and outs of the nose tackle position while the lockout is being cleared up. Had they let him go undrafted they would not have been able to sign him until the lockout is over, making him relatively useless going into the 2011 season as raw as he is. This guy was NOT drafted as a long shot. He was drafted to be this teams nose tackle, even if its part time in relief of T. Troup. This is why everyone is so excited about this kid. The upside is huge, and the risk is next to nothing. Couple that with the immediate 3 starters we picked up in the opening rounds, and you have some real potential finally.

Like you, I am also very anxious to see this kid start working with the team. He seems like a decent guy, and you gotta love the attitude.

To the person who wrote the article however...I think this is a bit of a misquote on Jasper: "Every time they say I'm slow I add 10 tenths to my 40-time." :lol:

The article was poorly written, with loads of mistakes.

Jasper is not a "long shot" to make the team in any way. The Bills front office has been watching this guy for close to two years, while accidentally stumbling upon him during a visit to see another player. Jasper was not on any draft board in the NFL, but the Bills insisted on drafting him due to the lockout. This way they could have Kyle Williams show him the ins and outs of the nose tackle position while the lockout is being cleared up. Had they let him go undrafted they would not have been able to sign him until the lockout is over, making him relatively useless going into the 2011 season as raw as he is. This guy was NOT drafted as a long shot. He was drafted to be this teams nose tackle, even if its part time in relief of T. Troup. This is why everyone is so excited about this kid. The upside is huge, and the risk is next to nothing. Couple that with the immediate 3 starters we picked up in the opening rounds, and you have some real potential finally.

I picked up on how the team has been following his progress for a couple of years too. It was also, the Bill's scout that told him to get his weight down under 400 as well. He certainly will get a shot at the very least.

I can't understand when people say they don't get why this young man has gotten so much attention. What else is there to talk about for one, and if he ends up being able to play well at the NFL then the Bills will be huge winners with this pick. Doesn't every fan hope and cheer for their team to find that "Tom Brady" pick?

He seems well grounded in his faith and sounds pretty driven, and after seeing this video he looks to be really getting into great shape for his size, even better than I would have expected. He really would make the perfect 3-4 nose tackle if developed properly. Wannstedt and Edwards have a golden opportunity here.

Go MJ!

Edited by hammie65

While it is his personal life I would like to know what caused him to go from school to school to school to finally end up at a Coe College type place.

I dont want the guy trashed but come on.....there has to be a reason why a athletic freak of over 400 pounds was not playing at a more legit Div I school......I mean USC, UCLA.....they would have been all over this guy I know this for a fact.

[/quote

No u dont. It is about opportunity and Jasper is getting one. Back under the bridge troll.

The big question is can Jasper go from playing low-low college ball to the NFL. But guys that big and that athletic can't be ignored. I think he has the strength to play in the NFL. The question is will he learn how to play NFL ball. If he does, then watch out.

PTR

While it is his personal life I would like to know what caused him to go from school to school to school to finally end up at a Coe College type place.

I dont want the guy trashed but come on.....there has to be a reason why a athletic freak of over 400 pounds was not playing at a more legit Div I school......I mean USC, UCLA.....they would have been all over this guy I know this for a fact.

No u dont. It is about opportunity and Jasper is getting one. Back under the bridge troll.

Thud (kind of appropriate for your last post…no offense intended), no one really knows who you are and you just accused one of the more respected posters here of being a troll.

Take it easy now.

We all (well most) like to think that superbly athletic guys with gargantuan size and possibly huge upside cannot at all be overlooked by most pro scouts. This is not a perfect world though and people do fall through the cracks. Jasper the Jiant could possibly be our shining gem that could have fallen into our lap. He could also end up being just an average player, but still he fell thru to us at such late a round and might end up being a prize. From what we have seen in his workout video he should've played for a bigger school, but things happen. Things don't always go as planned. Players fall and go unnoticed until they are picked up late and turn into gems. Just as some first rounders are sought after with a frenzy and turn into busts. Always expect the unexpected peeps.

On a side note I honestly do wonder if there was something about Jasper that the big schools passed over for a reason. If this is so, hopefully it is a trait that our mighty Jasper has overcome.

I honestly to God and if Gods need be wish our Jasper turns into something formidable. He has the will, the size, the strength, the speed and agility. All he needs now is the proper coaching and the football intuitiveness. He may perhaps have the right coaching and football instictiveness but only time will tell. If he does, by the gods will he be a force to be reckoned with!!

Go Bills!!!

2nd side note: Thud be more wary of how you phrase things towards long time and respected posters. I still consider myself a newbie and I've gotten my knocks. Just be respectful, that is my newbie advice Thud.

Jasper has the chance to be the steal of a lifetime. He has the opportunity to make something of himself far more to counter what the doubters could ever envision. I hope he goes all out and proceeds to do this.

I've spent too much on our Jasper the Jiant. He will do what he can and that is all we can expect of him. Dareus on the other hand will be a beast. I want him to be Bruce but no one will ever be. But if Dareus comes close I will be happy. But Jasper, you have lots to shoot for. Aspire to make every damn team regret for not dedicating time to finding someone such as you and for not drafting you in the first effin damn round. Jasper give it every thing you have and then some. As Bills fans we cannot ask for more.

Edited by Pilsner

For those wondering why Jasper was overlooked by larger schools, one possible reason could be that he was TOO big. He weighed as much as 450. Maybe it took Mike time to get serious about his conditioning.

PTR

I wonder what Ted Washington is up to? No NT has ever played the position better, not sure if he's a teacher, but I'd still love to see him return to buffalo to be a NT coach.

Stevie Johnson was drafted in the 7th, Fred Jackson was undrafted, George Wilson was undrafted. A lot of the best players the Bills have obtained were in the later rounds or UFA gems. Maybe it is just me, but I notice a lot of love for the late round, un drafted guys on this board, but when it comes to the early round picks it is a lot more, volatile in regards to comments (ie. Whitner, Spiller, Maybin, etc.).