Bills to install A-Turf field

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, but it looks like they haven't put the red outline in around the letters yet. The logo at midfield really "pops." :thumbsup:

Agree that it looks good. I'm not Facebook savvy so I don't know who the Facebook photos belong to, but I assume its the Bills. Not sure why they're so stingy with the photos. They post like 1-2 per day? Seems silly that we only get to see the 50-yard line logo from a mile away.

Does anyone know whether this system uses the rubber pellets, that we frequently saw a spray of in game photos?

Brown's blog entry implies they just have to cut and stitch the lettering and then will be done. There's not going to be any re-enforcing material at the base?

(Note: I'm not asking this in outrage mode. Just an engineering question.)

Does anyone know whether this system uses the rubber pellets, that we frequently saw a spray of in game photos?

Brown's blog entry implies they just have to cut and stitch the lettering and then will be done. There's not going to be any re-enforcing material at the base?

The system they're installing ("Titan") uses "in-fill" or the rubber pellets +/- sand. As for re-inforcing material at the base, don't know.

Good question (re: letters being "cut in"). If you look closely at the photo I posted earlier today, it appears there are a number of stakes "planted" throughout the lettering. Don't know what that's all about, but you'd think they have to tie the stuff together or players would dig up the field.

Good question (re: letters being "cut in"). If you look closely at the photo I posted earlier today, it appears there are a number of stakes "planted" throughout the lettering. Don't know what that's all about, but you'd think they have to tie the stuff together or players would dig up the field.

Oh, my bad, I didn't mean to make that question to pertain to re-inforcement at the base of the lettering. The sewing with heavy stitches does that. That stitching just seemed to be the last thing Chris Brown said was left to be done on the field. I then repeated my question about there being a rubber infill, as that would ostensibly be the final step in installation.

As to the staking, I would imagine that's to confirm measurements and keep the lettering in place as the blue turf is cut into (before removal and stitching). It's also serving in a taut string line along the bottom and top edges of the lettering.

Oh, my bad, I didn't mean to make that question to pertain to re-inforcement at the base of the lettering. The sewing with heavy stitches does that. That stitching just seemed to be the last thing Chris Brown said was left to be done on the field. I then repeated my question about there being a rubber infill, as that would ostensibly be the final step in installation.

Adding the "infill" is a non-sexy part of the field installation, so Brown likely neglected it for that reason. There will be 516,000 pounds of infill installed. And there is a rubber/urethane pad under the turf leftover from before.

By the by, here's some video of the infill removal from the other week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwkD9_JXGzg&NR=1

Adding the "infill" is a non-sexy part of the field installation, so Brown likely neglected it for that reason. There will be 516,000 pounds of infill installed. And there is a rubber/urethane pad under the turf leftover from before.

Right.

As I understand, this company didn't touch any below-grade materials (asphalt, drainage system, sand, rubber padding) that were installed when the turf was last changed in 2003.

Edited by UConn James

I found this comment last week to be interesting (and the players should love it):

"A-Turf is being installed over the existing rubber and urethane e-layer, creating a field to deliver ideal shock absorption. With a G-MAX of 115 to 120, the new field will be equivalent to that of the finest natural grass fields in the world."

I must be the only person who doesnt like the lettering in the endzones. I think the letters are too close and makes the whole thing blurry. I'll guess I'll wait to see them on TV or in person before getting too upset.

Take a look at this photo.

By the by, here's some video of the infill removal from the other week.

youtube.com/watch?v=vwkD9_JXGzg&NR=1

Right.

As I understand, this company didn't touch any below-grade materials (asphalt, drainage system, sand, rubber padding) that were installed when the turf was last changed in 2003.

Yep, the "e-layer" or whatever you call it would have been another bid. But apparently they only needed to patch it up in certain areas.

I found this comment last week to be interesting (and the players should love it):

"A-Turf is being installed over the existing rubber and urethane e-layer, creating a field to deliver ideal shock absorption. With a G-MAX of 115 to 120, the new field will be equivalent to that of the finest natural grass fields in the world."

Take a look at this photo.

Hopefully the players do like it. And as for the field/endzones, I like it, but wonder what red lettering and white outlines would have looked like.

The logo is at midfield in this picture.

I found this comment last week to be interesting (and the players should love it):"A-Turf is being installed over the existing rubber and urethane e-layer, creating a field to deliver ideal shock absorption. With a G-MAX of 115 to 120, the new field will be equivalent to that of the finest natural grass fields in the world."Take a look at this photo.

No logo at midfield? I'm confused. :blink::blink:

Because of the Metrodome roof collapse, their brand new field spent too much time underwater and as a result, the now 1-year old field needs to be replaced.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/20/metrodome-turf-needs-to-be-replaced-after-only-one-year/

The low bid is $476,000 compared to the $178,000 price tag Erie County is paying local company, A-Turf to install a new field at The Ralph. So the hometown discount/loss leader discount amounts to roughly $300,000 for the taxpayers of Erie County. Thanks A-Turf.

"And, like last year, there’s a chance this field will be used for only one year, too. With the Vikings’ lease at the Metrodome expiring after the 2011 season and with the politicians’ heads residing in a place other than on their shoulders, this could be the last year that anyone plays football there.

To the delight of Luke Russert and the many Bills fans who hope to see someone other than Buffalo’s team move to L.A."