What I would have done in the draft

My take is that again we took many DB’s – it seems such a waste to draft DB’s just to replace players who did not pan out (McKelvin, Whitner…) or whom we can/do not resign (Winfield, Clements, Greer, Florence).

I also would not have taken a running back at all – we have 2 good ones and they are a dime a dozen.

What I would have done is totally stock up on LB’s – which in a 3-4 are the heart of the defense and of which you can never have enough

1. Dareus - no brainer – BPA and total position of need

2. Akeem Ayers or traded down for a team looking for QB – Don’t like the selection of Aaron Williams

3. Martez Wilson

4. Luke Stocker or Casey Matthews

5A. Ricky Stanszi or Jacquizz Rodgers

5B. Like Hairston Pick

6. Quan Sturdivant

7. OK with picks – those are crap shoots

With this draft we would have had a totally stud LB corps.

Additional notes:

1. I am glad the Nix learned his lesson and is drafting players from LSU, Bama, Texas instead of Arkansas State & Central Florida.

2. Our defense being good is being predicated on Troup and Carrington becoming ‘players’; but I saw no evidence of that last year.

3. I assume that McCargo (McCarGone)and Maybin (has been) are not long for the NFL.

Go ahead and criticize!

Not criticizing, just discussing:

If you think McKelvin and Whitner haven't panned out, don't you need to replace them? Gotta draft DBs to do that. It's also one of the positions where you need a lot of bodies, period. It's pretty much consensus among all of the draft "experts" that Williams had a 1st round grade, and the Bills got him in R2.

You contradict yourself when you say you wouldn't have selected a RB and then you have Rodgers going in R5. Two RBs just isn't enough, and White was a real steal in the position at which he was taken.

It would have been interesting to bring in the stable of LBs you've noted. The secondary would be a bare cupboard, though.

I agree with you about the philosophy (this year) of taking studs from big time schools. These guys all know what success looks and feels like.

Not criticizing, just discussing:

THANK YOU

If you think McKelvin and Whitner haven't panned out, don't you need to replace them? Gotta draft DBs to do that. It's also one of the positions where you need a lot of bodies, period.

AGREED (SEE LATER)

It's pretty much consensus among all of the draft "experts" that Williams had a 1st round grade, and the Bills got him in R2.

OF COURSE WHEN YOU HAVE THE 34TH PICK, IT IS TOUGH NOT TO GET SOMEONE WITH A FIRST ROUND GRADE.

You contradict yourself when you say you wouldn't have selected a RB and then you have Rodgers going in R5. Two RBs just isn't enough, and White was a real steal in the position at which he was taken.

POINT TAKEN - BUT I WOULD HAVE PREFERRED STANSZI.

It would have been interesting to bring in the stable of LBs you've noted. The secondary would be a bare cupboard, though.

BUT WE WOULD STILL HAVE MOST OF SECONDARY BACK ASIDE FROM WHITNER AND FLORENCE - BOTH OF WHOM WE COULD STILL SIGN.

I agree with you about the philosophy (this year) of taking studs from big time schools. These guys all know what success looks and feels like.

Buddy said, at least twice over the weekend, "you need to take a defensive back or two in every draft". So, he just has a different philosophy than you. You say we have guys that are busts, so you have to find guys to replace them...on top of that, you have a bunch of guys who are free agents...Youboty, Florence, etc

btw- I have always loved the potential of Ashton Youboty. I thought he had some flashes of being very good, but could just never stay healthy...what do you wanna bet he ends up in Cleveland, with Dick Jauron?

My take is that again we took many DB’s – it seems such a waste to draft DB’s just to replace players who did not pan out (McKelvin, Whitner…) or whom we can/do not resign (Winfield, Clements, Greer, Florence).

Interesting, thanks for putting that together.

Just a question for the sake of discussion, what do you see our CBs and Safeties looking like then? Remember we have to go in with at least 5 CBs, and 4 Safeties.

You didnt draft any, so RIGHT NOW your DB roster looks like this:

CB:

McKelvin

McGee

Corner

Safety:

Byrd

Wilson

Scott

Who do you add to this list to fill it in?

btw- I have always loved the potential of Ashton Youboty. I thought he had some flashes of being very good, but could just never stay healthy...what do you wanna bet he ends up in Cleveland, with Dick Jauron?

Completely agree. He's even very physical for as thin as he is. Good player; too bad his mother's death and then injuries set him way back.

I am glad we now know what you would do...in a separate thread from the multiple other threads already discussing the draft. Out long national nightmare is now over.

Some people have lives aside from reading every single post that comes up on this site.

If you knew it was redundant, you did not have to read it.

I also would not have taken a running back at all – we have 2 good ones and they are a dime a dozen.

What I would have done is totally stock up on LB’s – which in a 3-4 are the heart of the defense and of which you can never have enough

1. Dareus - no brainer – BPA and total position of need

2. Akeem Ayers or traded down for a team looking for QB – Don’t like the selection of Aaron Williams

3. Martez Wilson

4. Luke Stocker or Casey Matthews

5A. Ricky Stanszi or Jacquizz Rodgers

5B. Like Hairston Pick

6. Quan Sturdivant

7. OK with picks – those are crap shoots

Additional notes:

1. I am glad the Nix learned his lesson and is drafting players from LSU, Bama, Texas instead of Arkansas State & Central Florida.

2. Our defense being good is being predicated on Troup and Carrington becoming ‘players’; but I saw no evidence of that last year.

3. I assume that McCargo (McCarGone)and Maybin (has been) are not long for the NFL.

Go ahead and criticize!

Ok, I'll take a whack at it. While I like a lot of the picks, you didn't draft ONE Cb? Not ONE? Have you looked at our cb depth chart? Mckelvin and McGee are both gold players. McGee gets hurt every year and Mckelvin missed almost all of 2009 with an injury. That leaves Reggie Corner and.... No one. I'm glad you're not the gm. Fo sho

While I agree LB is a weak position on our team, you wanted to add 3 or 4 lbs. Add four lbs to moats, Merriman, batten, Davis, Kelsey, coleman and possibly poz = 10 linebackers. 10 LBers and 3 CBs. You think that's a good draft?

You also state that you wouldn't take RB, but then say youd like to take jaquizz Rodgers in the 5th....is he gonna play CB?

Edited by NewEra

And I'm sure the only reason you're not working full time for an NFL team as gm or chief scout is you don't want to end up get some high salary and be in a high tax bracket.

It's amazing how many people here think they know more than people who do this for a living full time. I can maybe to some level accept people debating 1st or 2nd round picks as there's enough written about these guys to form opinions on them without really analyzing any hard data, you just read other peoples comments and form your own opinion. (and call yourself an expert, hell it works for Mel Kyper) But anyone on this board who thinks they know more than professionals about 6th and 7th round picks is nothing other than delusional and really needs people to tell them how smart they are.

Some people have lives aside from reading every single post that comes up on this site.

If you knew it was redundant, you did not have to read it.

Which is why it is polite to keep related posts in the same thread.