Best Draft In a Decade Plus

It looks as though all who called for the Bills to stack their D got their wish. Chan clearly understands that a great Defense makes any offense better. I am not saying that Fitz is the future Q.B of this franchise, but if you look at where the elite Q.B's of this league averaged in field position last year or for that matter in any year, it's ridiculous compared to where Fitz took the field. Spiller was almost obsolete based on F. position alone. I think this D will impact The Offense in a big way!!! I'll even go out on a limb and say that this organization may see more in Fitz than most of us see.I think that addressing the D in this draft will have ramification on the positive side for years.

i agree, i love this draft even with all the db's and an rb. but you know what? we needed them. sure we need our olbs to step up as well as finding someone to man the rt position full time. but if we can get a bit of relief from the injury bug and some of these guys develop and get healthy this could look like a very different team. and as far as fitzpatrick goes. i love the guy. he plays the position as i like to see it played and he has incredible heart and leadership. he has the respect of his coaches and teammates, and he is a great, not good, but great human being. now i have but three words left to utter...

LET'S GO BUFFALO!

For the most part I agree with your post here. I will take it one step further. Without seeing enough of the Defensive players we drafted last year, who I think will all be 10 year pro's, I think the 2009 (except Maybin) and this 2011 draft have really stocked our roster with really good players who will help us win. 2009 and 2011 are the best drafts we had since 2001 - Clements, Schobel, Henry, and others.

In 09 we scored Levitre, Wood, Byrd and Nelson. Yes Nelson has migraines, but each of those four players will take the next step this year. In this 2011 draft, obviously the anchor is Marcell Dareus. He is the player I so wanted. Our defense now is now much more stout and he will force the opposing offenses to plan around him. Think about this D Line whether we go 3-4 or 4-3- Dareus, Williams, Troup, Carrington. Mark this down - this group will be a D Line for the ages. Everyone is running their mouth about Detroit's front. This group has the potential to be dominant. In addition the Darues, I think my personal next best favorite pick is a tie between Sheppard - ILB and Searcy - S (a steal). In Sheppard, we have the future stud ILB who will start at some point this year. Think about how strong of rushing attacks we will face this year - Chiefs, Raiders, Pat's, Jet's, Titans, Chargers, and the list goes on. Sheppard will be big in making tackles at the line. In Searcy, we have a nasty hard hitting BIG safety. In addition to strong rushing attacks, think of the BIG TE's our division has and through out the league. I like Searcy's chances to start day one over Aaron Williams. And finally, Chris White. He will be a player for a long time. Who knows you may see White and Sheppard paired together for the next ten years. White takes on the blocks from the FB and Sheppard cleans house. DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a good draft to be sure, and probably the best in the last decade as well. But that's not really saying much is it. I can see why the normally very positive posters are feeling good now as well they should. There are things to look forward to this season for the first time in a long while.

But my analysis is somewhat more tempered. I love the Dareus pick, but lets face it, the Bills really could not have messed up that pick if they tried. It had to be Dareus, period (not that the Bills nation didn't hold it's collective breath until his name was read at the podium :) ). If you exclude the automatic pick of Dareus, what do you grade the rest of the draft? Certainly better that last years but not so sure I see the Bills putting fear into the hearts and minds of the AFC East. The got better on the defensive side of the ball almost certainly, but to be seeing that porous D from last year turn into the steel curtain overnight is fantasy. Give Nix and Gailey some time. Don't get your hopes up too high too quickly. Keep an even keel and enjoy what might well be a fun ride over the next few years.

Agreed with the assessment that this is the best draft in a decade. Buffalo needs to have an elite, dominant defense for two reasons:

1. They play in the AFC East with perennial Super Bowl contenders in New England and the NY Jets. NE has a future HOF QB in Brady, the Jets have a powerhouse Defense.

2. Ralph Wilson Stadium can be one of the loudest, craziest, weather unfriendly stadiums to play at in the NFL.

I like the optimism, but its nearly impossible to grade this draft other than to say that from the scouting reports and looking at the way these dudes played at a much simpler and easier level, we have some promising guys to evaluate and hopefully the majority will make the team.

It looks like we have one opening day starter in Dareus (can't wait to see him in action), the rest hopefully will help us as the season and years go on. Would be awesome to get a Moats/Stevie/Kyle late round steal but usually teams are made up of 1st and 2nd round picks out there. Shepp is not gonna be ready to contribute until mid season at the earliest, as his job inside is not usually something rookies excel at because of it's complexities.

This draft may have sucked, or it may be the one that turns the corner for us. I believe our offense is as good as the jets or the steelers, and they have been carried deep into the playoffs by a great D. Here's hoping we can have the same this year.

None of this matters until the Bills start winning more games than they lose and start to consistently get better. I believe it was a very good draft but we won't know right away, probably not until next season (2012), just because most of these picks (I think Dareus will be the exception) won't contribute substantially until their 2nd year.

I am however happy with the approach that Chix took in building the defense first and not going QB in the draft. With so many teams taking QB's in this year's draft, when 2012 rolls around we will have a really good shot at a better class of QB's because there is a good chance that there won't be as many teams picking QB's early next year. This also gives them one more year to settle the defense down and to see what Fitzy can do with a full off-season and better players added to the team.

They took players that from what I've read should\could have gone earlier and who all seem to have versatility as far as positions they can play. They also filled several positions of need and gained players for depth at other positions.

For all of those who've complained about them taking Corners where they did I say this. Everyone says the NFL is a passing league when talking about needing a franchise QB but if this is the case, and it is, teams also need to make sure they have enough quality corners (and safeties might I add) to cover the WR's as well as protect against end sweeps. Every team needs good corners!

I am very anxious to see Dareus and that monster of a 7th rd DT pick Jasper on the line as soon a possible. If our run defense doesn't vastly improve in the next year or two then there is no hope at all for the Bills. My bet is that it will.

• 3 months later...

In the last 2 drafts 3 out of our last 6 top 3 round picks have been on the defensive line (Troup, Carrington, and Dareus) and another 2 of those picks (Sheppard and Williams) have been on the defensive side of the ball. Also out of those picks 4 were on the front 7.

I am not sure if Nix was the guy on the Spiller pick (It was just so much against the other picks he has made) but outside of that pick his focus draft wise has been on the defense with a particular emphasis on the defensive line and front 7. I hope that they do a more balanced approach in the draft in the coming years (Assuming the D takes a step up) esp on the O-line.

It was a good draft to be sure, and probably the best in the last decade as well. But that's not really saying much is it. I can see why the normally very positive posters are feeling good now as well they should. There are things to look forward to this season for the first time in a long while.

It is too early to grade this draft. The best draft of the decade was the year they got Clements, Schoebel, Travis Henry etc...The first three picks were the most productive and we actually drafted a decent TACKLE in Jonas Jennings. Spoon would have been a good LB if not for the biceps injury.

The Lynch, Poz and Edwards year could have been a super year......Almost...

RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL

1 21 Nate Clements CB Ohio State

2 46 Aaron Schobel DE Texas Christian

2 58 Travis Henry HB Tennessee

3 76 Ron Edwards DT Texas A&M

3 95 Jonas Jennings T Georgia

4 110 Brandon Spoon MLB North Carolina

5 144 Marques Sullivan T Illinois

6 178 Tony Driver DB Notre Dame

6 195 Dan O'Leary TE Notre Dame

6 196 Jimmy Williams CB Vanderbilt

7 214 Reggie Germany WR Ohio State

7 238 Tyrone Robertson DT Georgia

I really like what we are seeing so far with Dareus. I think he has the potential to be a great player. Way too early to make judgments about this overall draft. Williams seems to have potential, but I have heard little about the other players drafted. Want to see what Sheppard can do when healthy.

I a bit concerned about last year's draft. Spiller was disappointing last year and if he does not end up starting at RB by next year, then his selection at that pick was not warranted. Troupe needs to step up, but I know that he has a broken hand, which is a big problem in the near term. Easley needs more game time so that we can get a better sense of his abilities.