What Jaguars Vikings Titans and Panthers did for Buffalo

With four teams addressing thier needs at QB last night it put the Bills are on a short list of teams in the mix to take a (legit) pro QB next Year.

I realize that this is horrendously premature seeing as how we're only through the 1ST rd but the impact of Locker/Ponder going in the 1st as opposed to the 2nd rd they won't become next years Jimmy Clausen. So if those teams (and others) are in a spot to take a can't miss QB(Luck,Jones, Barkley) next year,they won't.

Here's how it looks to me,I broke it down into a few categories.

Teams that recently drafted a rd 1 QB

Vikings

Jaguars

Titans

Panthers

Rams

Broncos*

Jets

Buccaneers

Ravens

* I dont think Tebow will keep them from drafting a QB they like if the opportunity presents itself.

Teams with established Veterans between 5-10 seasons who have QB's in thier prime with no need to draft an heir apparent.

Texans

Bears

Packers

Falcons

Steelers

Chargers

Giants

Eagles

Saints

Teams who have a 10+ years Veteran who is the undoubted starter, but may be looking to the future.

Colts

Patriots

Teams who Will/Might take a Top QB next year if the opportunity presents itself.

Will:

Dolphins - Henne's not the answer.

Browns - McCoy will have to play out of his mind to keep them from drafting Luck.

Bengals - Palmer probably wont be back, might get a FA, could take Dalton (see; Jimmy Clausen).

Cardinals - A lot has been said about Bulger but hes Older and might be asked to groom a younger guy.

Redskins - Even if they keep McNabb, which is unlikely.

Raiders - Jason Campbell is serviveable but not by any means the answer. hear they love Kaepernick

49ers - Harbaugh would jump at Luck reguardless of who's on the team

Seahawks - Might have Taken locker if he didnt go so early.

Might:

Chiefs - Matt Cassel needs to play really well or they might look to the future

Cowboys - I think they like Romo for now but Jerry Jones isnt afraid to pull the trigger on big time talent

Broncos - depends on how good tebow does if he even gets a chance, he was McDaniels guy not Elways.

Thats 11 teams buffalo has to contend with but of those teams Bulger, McNabb, Kolb and possibly Palmer and VY will find a spot on these teams, but only Kolb will keep a team from investing a 1st rd pic on a QB. Also Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, and Ryan Mallett could go to anybody at this point; if they go to one of these teams and get an opportunity and play well they could make a team pass on a blue chip QB next year.

So best of luck to Dalton, Mallett, Keapernick. and heres hoping Kolb, McNabb, Bulger, Palmer, and Young find homes and do enough to keep thier team from drafting Luck, Jones, or Barkley before the Bills have a chance.

don't forget that the Putrids need to seriously look for a Cinderfells Brady replacement.

They didn't.

Teams who have a 10+ years Veteran who is the undoubted starter, but may be looking to the future.

Colts

Patriots

read much?

1) Then again, Carolina took 3 QBs last year, and took Newton this year.

2) Any QB can go from a sure-thing to a bum faster than you can say Brian Brohm. Injury, personal performance decline, team decline, etc.

3) Teams won't be shy about drafting a guy who could overtake their current starter, or who might just be a backup. Everyone knows that it just takes one hit to end a season/career. Teams don't act in a rookie's best interest and bring him to a situation that's most convenient to the betterment of his career. They don't mind all that much if a QB's golden arm rusts from disuse over a few seasons --- they can get another QB next year and show this guy out. Don't tell me you've never seen this before.

4) Whenever a new CBA is reached, first-round rookie pay is likely to take a major hit, which would make trading up much more palatable than it is currently. Unless you're ready to sacrifice prime picks, it only takes two or three teams to start a bidding war the Bills probably can't win/won't engage in.

With four teams addressing thier needs at QB last night it put the Bills are on a short list of teams in the mix to take a (legit) pro QB next Year.

I realize that this is horrendously premature seeing as how we're only through the 1ST rd but the impact of Locker/Ponder going in the 1st as opposed to the 2nd rd they won't become next years Jimmy Clausen. So if those teams (and others) are in a spot to take a can't miss QB(Luck,Jones, Barkley) next year,they won't.

Here's how it looks to me,I broke it down into a few categories.

Teams that recently drafted a rd 1 QB

Vikings

Jaguars

Titans

Panthers

Rams

Broncos*

Jets

Buccaneers

Ravens

* I dont think Tebow will keep them from drafting a QB they like if the opportunity presents itself.

Teams with established Veterans between 5-10 seasons who have QB's in thier prime with no need to draft an heir apparent.

Texans

Bears

Packers

Falcons

Steelers

Chargers

Giants

Eagles

Saints

Colts

Patriots

Teams who Will/Might take a Top QB next year if the opportunity presents itself.

Will:

Dolphins - Henne's not the answer.

Browns - McCoy will have to play out of his mind to keep them from drafting Luck.

Bengals - Palmer probably wont be back, might get a FA, could take Dalton (see; Jimmy Clausen).

Cardinals - A lot has been said about Bulger but hes Older and might be asked to groom a younger guy.

Redskins - Even if they keep McNabb, which is unlikely.

Raiders - Jason Campbell is serviveable but not by any means the answer. hear they love Kaepernick

49ers - Harbaugh would jump at Luck reguardless of who's on the team

Seahawks - Might have Taken locker if he didnt go so early.

Might:

Chiefs - Matt Cassel needs to play really well or they might look to the future

Cowboys - I think they like Romo for now but Jerry Jones isnt afraid to pull the trigger on big time talent

Broncos - depends on how good tebow does if he even gets a chance, he was McDaniels guy not Elways.

Thats 11 teams buffalo has to contend with but of those teams Bulger, McNabb, Kolb and possibly Palmer and VY will find a spot on these teams, but only Kolb will keep a team from investing a 1st rd pic on a QB. Also Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, and Ryan Mallett could go to anybody at this point; if they go to one of these teams and get an opportunity and play well they could make a team pass on a blue chip QB next year.

So best of luck to Dalton, Mallett, Keapernick. and heres hoping Kolb, McNabb, Bulger, Palmer, and Young find homes and do enough to keep thier team from drafting Luck, Jones, or Barkley before the Bills have a chance.

Every year everyone says the QB class is better next year, then that year gets here and they change their tune. Last year, everyone said how great this class is and that we should avoid a QB last year...

Truth is, all QB's, even Luck will have question marks coming into the draft once they are dissected over and over again in preparation of the draft. So the guys who have yet to go through that because they are not coming out yet will always seem like a better class, but it will be the same story when its their turn after they declare for the draft.

Hell, Luck may not even be the highest rated QB next year (see Brohm, Leinart, Locker, etc when they passed on being the top QB in a draft to go back to school), especially since he has a new coach on a team not exactly bursting with offensive talent.

Every year everyone says the QB class is better next year, then that year gets here and they change their tune. Last year, everyone said how great this class is and that we should avoid a QB last year...

Truth is, all QB's, even Luck will have question marks coming into the draft once they are dissected over and over again in preparation of the draft. So the guys who have yet to go through that because they are not coming out yet will always seem like a better class, but it will be the same story when its their turn after they declare for the draft.

Hell, Luck may not even be the highest rated QB next year (see Brohm, Leinart, Locker, etc when they passed on being the top QB in a draft to go back to school), especially since he has a new coach on a team not exactly bursting with offensive talent.

His "new" coach is the Stanford OC from last year.