Phil Sims with some strong words on Bills QB situation: Mallet etc

Phil simms was on Sirius Radio talking with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan and was talking about this QB class. Here is what he said.

The two bests Qb's in this class by far as Cam Newton and Ryan Mallet. He said Blaine Gabbert looks good in shorts, but on film, he watched every Missouri game and couldn't have been more underwhelmed.

Said Christian Ponder and Andy Dalton on a good day have average NFL arms, and if you're Buffalo and you take 1 in round two, you're just hoping one day they can be as good as Ryan Fitzpatrick. He said you already have Fitzpatrick, why not aim higher and go for a guy like Mallet with the upside.

Said the stuff about Mallet's character was overblown.

Said he liked Kapernick as a 4th round developmental guy and about fell out of his chair when he heard a coach tell him he might go late 1.

He basically said you can't overcome lack of talent, and the big armed QB's continue to play deep into January, and that Ponder and Dalton just don't have what it takes. Said if you take one of those guys early, you're basing it more on hope than what you see.

I heard Buddy Nix yesterday on Shredd and Regan and he said similar things about drafting one of a couple 'potential franchise quarterbacks' vs waiting and drafting one of the other guys who you hope end up as good as fitzpatrick.

Newton in the first if he's there and if not, Mallett or Kaep in the 2nd. We will take a QB in rd 1 or 2 if I read Chix right and these three are the ones I'd gamble on if we do.

My biggest problem with Mallett is I don't think he's a winner. He's got the physical attributes and can look great at times, but he hasn't ever put a team on his back to win the "big game." Against Alabama and Ohio State, he failed in the clutch. And I can't help but think "Bledsoe" when I see the mobility (or lack thereof). Now, a ton of people will talk about what a successful career Bledsoe had, but the NFL is different today and the statuesque passer doesn't seem to be a good fit with how Gailey views the position.

Phil simms was on Sirius Radio talking with Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan and was talking about this QB class. Here is what he said.

Said the stuff about Mallet's character was overblown.

I imagine he's said the same thing about his son Chris. Nothing wrong with smokin a little weed while driving, or playing QB.

My biggest problem with Mallett is I don't think he's a winner. He's got the physical attributes and can look great at times, but he hasn't ever put a team on his back to win the "big game." Against Alabama and Ohio State, he failed in the clutch.

I disagree. The guy was a winner at Arkansas in every sense of the word. He wasn't perfect, but if he'd have played any better, they'd have won a national championship. They went 10-3 in a division where five of the six teams ended the year ranked in the top 15 nationally. They were one of four teams in the SEC West with 10 wins or more and finished second in that division this year, behind Auburn but ahead of national title contenders Alabama and LSU (and they beat LSU in the regular season finale). They also beat Mississippi State and South Carolina, too, both 9 win teams. That's a hell of an accomplishment given one of the hardest schedules in the country. They've had only one other 10 win season since 1989, and that was in '06 with a completely different offensive coordinator (Gus Malzahn, who has since taken the circus show to Auburn), head coach and with Darren McFadden running the ball. You have to go all the way back to 1977 and the days of Lou Holtz to find an Arkansas team that won 11 games.

My biggest problem with Mallett is I don't think he's a winner. He's got the physical attributes and can look great at times, but he hasn't ever put a team on his back to win the "big game." Against Alabama and Ohio State, he failed in the clutch. And I can't help but think "Bledsoe" when I see the mobility (or lack thereof). Now, a ton of people will talk about what a successful career Bledsoe had, but the NFL is different today and the statuesque passer doesn't seem to be a good fit with how Gailey views the position.

reminds me of peyton mannings college career

reminds me of peyton mannings college career

Indeed, it is. They used to say that Peyton Manning couldn't win the big game, either. It didn't help that Tennessee won the National Championship the next year with Tee Martin at QB.

I know they should not take him at #3 but if the Bills find a reasonable way to get Mallet - including picking him at #34 or even trading to get back into the 1st I will be very happy (until he flames out in his career - then I will rant about how stupid Nix was to select him. Seriously though he is a guy the Bills should take a chance on.

My biggest problem with Mallett is I don't think he's a winner. He's got the physical attributes and can look great at times, but he hasn't ever put a team on his back to win the "big game." Against Alabama and Ohio State, he failed in the clutch.

Agreed. Last thing I want to see is the Ryan Mallet pouty face when things don't go his way. Saw it in the Alabama game and was like "No thank you."