Poor Exxon

I still think it's more than that. I do believe it has to do with people running scared every time there is a gun shot anywhere in the middle east, a storm in the gulf, etc., etc. Fact is that prices are being driven up and up with every new news story and not coming back down.

You're half right, there is more to it than just a weak dollar.

Demand by emerging markets.

But mostly it's due to the ever weakening dollar

All Glory to The Benbernank :worthy:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where it would be beaten to death and die the fast and painful death it !@#$ing deserves

Actually if you want a thread to go from here to there you would only need to start one:

"Hot for Politician - (insert location) Style"

Hopefully someone good looking - though as it has been attested to - it is hard to look good in a mug shot.

Look at a chart which shows the value of the dollar, then look at a chart of oil prices.

Exactly!

World Oil is priced in DOLLARS and our "hot off the press" Dollars are worth a fraction of what they should be because of our out of control debt.

None of us could continue to borrow to pay our bills, we would eventually be turned down. However when you can get away with printing as much money as you want, and then throw it away on phony "economic stimulus" scams, our Dollars quickly have a lot less "value."

Someone should not B word about the price of gas when they have to buy an SUV when they have 10 kids. Once again. You can't afford 'em, don't have 'em.

Put the oldest to work, have them pay for gas. Problem solved.

Someone should not B word about the price of gas when they have to buy an SUV when they have 10 kids. Once again. You can't afford 'em, don't have 'em.

Maybe he could afford it before the gas prices rose due to the fact that the dollar is close to worthless!!!

I am of the same belief don't do it if you can't afford it. But this administration is killing the dollar with it's policies.

Having the Pres tell someone to get a different vehicle when everything he has done has crushed our economy is just plain wrong.

and pbills calling someone a douchebag is not right.

Put the oldest to work, have them pay for gas. Problem solved.

I think you'll get this line of thought. Sell the oldest.

Maybe he could afford it before the gas prices rose due to the fact that the dollar is close to worthless!!!

I am of the same belief don't do it if you can't afford it. But this administration is killing the dollar with it's policies.

Having the Pres tell someone to get a different vehicle when everything he has done has crushed our economy is just plain wrong.

and pbills calling someone a douchebag is not right.

To put this all at the feet of the President is pretty silly.

No, sell the youngest. They command a better price on the market. Plus, they can't work, whereas the oldest can. So generate cash flow off the oldest, but capitalize the youngest into cash assets.

I agree. I put it at the liver of the president.

No, sell the youngest. They command a better price on the market. Plus, they can't work, whereas the oldest can. So generate cash flow off the oldest, but capitalize the youngest into cash assets.

You've obviously put more thought into this than I have.

Exactly!

World Oil is priced in DOLLARS and our "hot off the press" Dollars are worth a fraction of what they should be because of our out of control debt.

None of us could continue to borrow to pay our bills, we would eventually be turned down. However when you can get away with printing as much money as you want, and then throw it away on phony "economic stimulus" scams, our Dollars quickly have a lot less "value."

People keep throwing that oil-dollar link out there, but that's a relatively recent phenomenon. Prior to 2000, there is a positive correlation between the dollar and oil, but it turns negative after 2000. I wonder what has changed since then.....

People keep throwing that oil-dollar link out there, but that's a relatively recent phenomenon. Prior to 2000, there is a positive correlation between the dollar and oil, but it turns negative after 2000. I wonder what has changed since then.....

There is a very strong oil-dollar link, you aren't disputing that are you?

There is a very strong oil-dollar link, you aren't disputing that are you?

As I stated, there was a positive correlation from 1973 to 2001; it has since reversed. The negative relationship begins in the early 2000s, and it is statistically significant.

I didn't put anything at the feet of the President, I just pointed out that pbills called KD a douche bag when he suggested exactly what the President said.

I dislike companies that make exorbitant profits at the expense of consumers. Someone passes gas in the Middle East and oil companies raise gas prices 12 cents a gallon. Yes I'm aware that oiil prices are increasing, and why is that do you suppose.

Why is that an exorbitant profit? What should its profit be?

Let's do some basic math. The company is currently valued at $424.5 billion. It made $10.65 billion last quarter. If it can keep that up for a year, it will have earned $42.6 billion. That means it makes a 10% profit this year. A very good return, but hardly exorbitant.

Tell me: if you bought a business for $500,000, would you consider an annual profit of $50,000 exorbitant? Would $5,000 a year be fairer to you and the consumers?

Complaining about profit without reference to the size of the company is absurd.

Why is that an exorbitant profit? What should its profit be?

Let's do some basic math. The company is currently valued at $424.5 billion. It made $10.65 billion last quarter. If it can keep that up for a year, it will have earned $42.6 billion. That means it makes a 10% profit this year. A very good return, but hardly exorbitant.

Tell me: if you bought a business for $500,000, would you consider an annual profit of $50,000 exorbitant? Would $5,000 a year be fairer to you and the consumers?

Complaining about profit without reference to the size of the company is absurd.

There wasn't anyone shedding tears for the oil companies when they were losing money for close to 2 decades prior to the oil boom.