good column on goodell by (in my opinion) the best sportswriter in US

Thanks for posting, Dave.

It is odd that the owners locked out the players at the very height of the NFL's popularity.

Regardless of where one's sympathies lie, it's a huge gamble by the Commish and the Owners…playing a high stakes game with the Goose that lays the Golden Eggs.

Guest three3

but when i post goodell's letter on the board, the same one linked in that article, and i call goodell pathetic as did the writer of that article, the post gets deleted from the board???

The last couple of days the Commissioner has begun to change his public messages. At the beginning of this recent chapter in the labor dispute it was about teams losing money and the fiscal integrity of the Game. In recent days he has shifted to protecting the draft and not allowing a true mercenary market for players. He is now putting things on the table he knows will likely survive a new CBA so he and the owners can save face. Its a classic retrench.

I am not sure the NFLPA's desire is to ever see the draft and free agency go away. While there may be 4 or 5 teams that can spend wildly - the rest will likely be below the current cap and the market for mid-tier players would suffer. The NFLPA is basically on the offensive right now and they are putting everything on the table because they figure what the hell. If Judge Nelson officially ends the lockout today--Roger better tells the owners to settle quick before they lose their shirt.

Settling quick means in the range of $1.5B hold back with 58% or so of the rest going to the players...it will end up costing the owners about $750M to $1B over a true 50/50 compromise.

Edited by JoeF

The last couple of days the Commissioner has begun to change his public messages. At the beginning of this recent chapter in the labor dispute it was about teams losing money and the fiscal integrity of the Game. In recent days he has shifted to protecting the draft and not allowing a true mercenary market for players. He is now putting things on the table he knows will likely survive a new CBA so he and the owners can save face. Its a classic retrench.

I am not sure the NFLPA's desire is to ever see the draft and free agency go away. While there may be 4 or 5 teams that can spend wildly - the rest will likely be below the current cap and the market for mid-tier players would suffer. The NFLPA is basically on the offensive right now and they are putting everything on the table because they figure what the hell. If Judge Nelson officially ends the lockout today--Roger better tells the owners to settle quick before they lose their shirt.

Settling quick means in the range of $1.5B hold back with 58% or so of the rest going to the players...it will end up costing the owners about $750M to $1B over a true 50/50 compromise.

Of course the players don't want to end FA or the draft or revenue sharing or the cap. Most of them would suffer financially without those protections.

The things you mention aren't very different than the last offer by the league before the union decerted. Not sure it's "retrench".

but when i post goodell's letter on the board, the same one linked in that article, and i call goodell pathetic as did the writer of that article, the post gets deleted from the board???

I noticed that as well--what was up with that? Interestingly (to me at least) the comments were running about 3 to 1 against Goodell and the owners--in the WSJ no less--that's saying something and it ain't pretty for the League...

Edited by MattM

You threw a Political slant on it and you know it... <_<

Did you post the letter directly or provide a link? I think posting directly is a violation of board rules.

I think in fainess to Goddell he's just doing what his Bosses' are telling him to do...I'm not saying he does not believe in what the Owners are trying to accomplish...I am saying that Jerry Jones, Jerry Richardson, and that bunch that are calling the shots up top are definitely trying to break the Union for every penny they can get back and Goddell is a good Soldier...He's the man up front...He has a TON of power where running the League is concerned...But in this instance he's little more than a Front Man, PR guy for the Owners and their Lawyers bidding...At least that's how it looks to me...I could be wrong though... B-)

I think in fainess to Goddell he's just doing what his Bosses' are telling him to do...I'm not saying he does not believe in what the Owners are trying to accomplish...I am saying that Jerry Jones, Jerry Richardson, and that bunch that are calling the shots up top are definitely trying to break the Union for every penny they can get back and Goddell is a good Soldier...He's the man up front...He has a TON of power where running the League is concerned...But in this instance he's little more than a Front Man, PR guy for the Owners and their Lawyers bidding...At least that's how it looks to me...I could be wrong though... B-)

+1

Goodell is no more a tool than the NFLPA leadership. They've handled the situation as ridiculously as they could have at every turn and Selig, for all his tenure...has never delt with anything like this and things he has delt with (or avoided dealing with) he's bungled.

...and comparing Selig to LBJ (the "master of the senate") is laughable.

Edited by dayman

Of course the players don't want to end FA or the draft or revenue sharing or the cap. Most of them would suffer financially without those protections.

The things you mention aren't very different than the last offer by the league before the union decerted. Not sure it's "retrench".

Be honest ... Did you even read the article?

Goodell is no more a tool than the NFLPA leadership. They've handled the situation as ridiculously as they could have at every turn and Selig, for all his tenure...has never delt with anything like this and things he has delt with (or avoided dealing with) he's bungled.

...and comparing Selig to LBJ (the "master of the senate") is laughable.

As of now, this has gone in the players favor. The owners are the only ones who have the power to make this work, but they won't, if it will cost them money...not sure how you can knock NFLPA leadership...it may not be Goodells' fault that this happened (it isn't), but, at this point, he is just a spin master for the owners, who, once again, appear to be on the wrong side of labor dispute. We'll see what happens in the next day...I can tell you though, if the 2011 season doesn't proceed on schedule, the owners will have nobody to blame but themselves for this mess. I am sure the owners are missing Gene Upshaw right now...

I liked this:

"Right now, that lockout looks to be the most self-destructive move that a league has made in a long, long time. The lockout was enjoined by a judge on Monday, meaning it’s now over. The league is appealing Judge Nelson’s ruling, but from what I can tell the league’s appeal seems on shaky ground, and as our own Michael McCann says, the league now has a whole lot to worry about. The players, assuming the ruling is not overturned, now have serious negotiating power. The owners, assuming the ruling is not overturned, now have a serious problem convincing anyone that they aren’t already overflowing in money. This thing has a chance to become a major embarrassment for the owners … and perhaps more than just an embarrassment. It could be a financial catastrophe."

Edited by Buftex

As of now, this has gone in the players favor. The owners are the only ones who have the power to make this work, but they won't, if it will cost them money...not sure how you can knock NFLPA leadership...it may not be Goodells' fault that this happened (it isn't), but, at this point, he is just a spin master for the owners, who, once again, appear to be on the wrong side of labor dispute. We'll see what happens in the next day...I can tell you though, if the 2011 season doesn't proceed on schedule, the owners will have nobody to blame but themselves for this mess. I am sure the owners are missing Gene Upshaw right now...

I can knock the leadership b/c it's their fault too. Collectively bargaining is a two part process (in reality it's even more complicated than that considering how fractured the owners really are). Walking out of meetings and failing to negotiate in good faith is certainly reason to fault the NFLPA. Make no mistake, they had their eye on desertification the entire time, they had limited interest in labor negotiation once they saw the initial position the league took. Anti-trust law has not been kind to the NFL and the stakes are UNGODLY high if they were to lose one w/ regards these player issues that strike the core of the league structure as we know it. They knew from the very start that if they didn't get major concessions...it was going to court.

Basically I can fault the NFLPA leadership for being every bit as dirty, hard headed, propaganda prone, and posture-heavy as that article would have you believe Goodell has been. I'm not here to defend Goodell. But to me that article is basically saying (in a nutshell): "Goodell looks and acts like 'the man' and it has been part of the problem here...it might have been better if he came off like a bumbling idiot like Selig." I don't buy it. Goodell is the man. Have the owners been hard in negotiation? Of course. Have the players? Yes. Have either acted like anything they aren't when it comes to that issue? To me...the answer is not really...and neither should they be.

Edited by dayman

Keep in mind that this whole mess is in the context of the owners locking the players out.

The players didn't want to be locked out, nor did they want to reopen the CBA.

Keep in mind that this whole mess is in the context of the owners locking the players out.

The players didn't want to be locked out, nor did they want to reopen the CBA.

A point that keeps being missed by some... :thumbsup:

I'm starting to get worried that this is all some grand master plan by the large market owners to knock the parity board over and go to an MLB-style free-for-all without being blamed directly for doing so ("wasn't us, it was the evil union that broke the revenue sharing system"). I mean, they couldn't have been this dumb, could they? It's either that or they're morons for so badly misreading the situation and their chances.....