Music City Miracle

Cam

I know you probably don't wanna hear this but what do you all think would've happened if we had played Flutie over RoJo in this game? Personally I think the Bills would have had a larger lead and would've won that game and probably started Flutie for another couple of years giving them time to find another franchise QB. But just like Jeff Garcia, Flutie got made a backup again and again when we all know he's a solid and sound NFL QB.

The refs would have called more holding penalties on the Bills. The NFL needed to see a good run for the Titans that year to solidify the local support in their new city.

any comments about flutie or rojo

any comments about flutie or rojo

IMO, the Bills never would have been ahead with seconds to go. Flutie and the Bills offense ground to a halt the second half of that season. Defenses figured Flutie out by not letting him get to the outside and forcing him to throw from the pocket where he had ALL sorts of trouble finding his passing lanes. Just based on the second half of that season, Flutie wouldn't have done much, if anything, against the Titans.

GO BILLS!!!

IMO, the Bills never would have been ahead with seconds to go. Flutie and the Bills offense ground to a halt the second half of that season. Defenses figured Flutie out by not letting him get to the outside and forcing him to throw from the pocket where he had ALL sorts of trouble finding his passing lanes. Just based on the second half of that season, Flutie wouldn't have done much, if anything, against the Titans.

GO BILLS!!!

True. He finished the season with a 55.2% completion percentage, 3,171 yards, 20 TD's (1 rushing), 16 INT's, and 4 lost fumbles.

We Win. Everyone always points to the KO Return as the deciding moment of that game, and it was. However, our defense was GREAT that day. I point to another play that was the difference and that was Rob Johnson fumbling the ball out of the back of the EZ for a safety. Then we kicked off to Titans and they, with the help of the safety mojo, took it in for a TD. So that's 9 points. Take away those 9 and we're up 15 when they get that last kickoff.

No way in hadees Flutie does that.

The Rob Johnson fumble out of the EZ is what cost us that game. This one's on Ralph. Dumbest decision in Buffalo Bills history.

I know you probably don't wanna hear this but what do you all think would've happened if we had played Flutie over RoJo in this game? Personally I think the Bills would have had a larger lead and would've won that game and probably started Flutie for another couple of years giving them time to find another franchise QB. But just like Jeff Garcia, Flutie got made a backup again and again when we all know he's a solid and sound NFL QB.

Bellicheat found his flaw as the Jets D coordinator and that was keep him in the pocket and he won't beat you. He should have started that game but don't think he would have been effective for a few years.

What if we took Tom Brady in the 5th round of the 2000 NFL Draft? Would we have had an established QB after Jim Kelly?

No we would have ruined him to and he would have been out of league after two years on the practice squad. ;)

:worthy:

Although your take is a tad "dated", it is outstanding none the less. Flutie led the Bills to a 10-5-0 record during the '99 season and then all of a sudden Wade decided to "rest" him for the last regular season game against the Colts at home. Sure enough, with nothing to play for and zero pressure on him, Robby played lights out and Phillips stupidly decided to start him against the Titans. Now, to be fair, we all know Johnson did enough to upset the Titans that day, and the play were he scrambled without his shoe and made a great pass to set up the "winning" field goal was outstanding.

But after that game is where your take really makes good sense. You know why? Because Doug Flutie was the starting QB for the San Diego Chargers during Drew Brees's rookie season, and most likely ended up being a good mentor to him that first year in the NFL. Obviously, had the idiot Donahoe done kept Flutie over Johnson he could have actually drafted Brees himself for the Bills and Flutie could have mentored Drew during his rookie season with the Buffalo Bills!!

The Bills would still have lost. The Titans were undefeated at home that season and after getting lucky and beating the Bills, beat 2 other higher-seeded teams to make the SB.

well it is a good example of wilson's meddling which you seem to deny exists. i remember walking into titans stadium and watching johnson warming up with the first team in disbelief...and cursing wilson.

Wade Phillips himself has said that in retrospect that we would probably have won with Flutie. Of course we probably would have won with Marv Levy or Jim Kelly.

and eric moulds agrees with him blaming "the powers that be" and calling it one of the dumbest moves in the history of sports.

We Win. Everyone always points to the KO Return as the deciding moment of that game, and it was. However, our defense was GREAT that day. I point to another play that was the difference and that was Rob Johnson fumbling the ball out of the back of the EZ for a safety. Then we kicked off to Titans and they, with the help of the safety mojo, took it in for a TD. So that's 9 points. Take away those 9 and we're up 15 when they get that last kickoff.

No way in hadees Flutie does that.

The Rob Johnson fumble out of the EZ is what cost us that game. This one's on Ralph. Dumbest decision in Buffalo Bills history.

When Johnson walked off the field for the last time that day, he had the lead. In spite of the negative plays he had earlier in the game. We can't simply disregard his positive plays if we're going to cite his bad ones.

Given how bad Flutie played the last half of the season that year, he may have been even worse than Johnson. But there's simply no point in going there.

GO BILLS!!!

well it is a good example of wilson's meddling which you seem to deny exists. i remember walking into titans stadium and watching johnson warming up with the first team in disbelief...and cursing wilson.

It's one example of Wilson meddling. But that's hardly proof that "Wilson meddles," given the infinite other opportunities he's had to do so, yet we've only heard about two (and again, even if Ralph forced the Lynch pick, it was probably a better pick than what Jauron and Levy were thinking). Flutie's play was poor that season (5th worst in completion percentage, equal number of TD's and turnovers), the team was winning game thanks to the run and a great defense, and again, RJ left the field with the lead, only to see the ST's lose the game for the team.

The real question should be, what if Daryl Porter stayed in his lane like he was instructed to do.

I am by no means a RJ, I didn't like him while he was here, he was a pompous ass in person, but this is one game I will not scrutinize him for. He led the Bills into scoring position and took the lead with seconds left on the clock. I don't care if Ray Charles was my QB, if he made sure we had a lead with seconds left on the clock, I am not blaming him for the loss.