Cowboy Stadium

If you figure that stadiums have on average a 30 year life span, it stands to reason that no football in 2011 will seriously hurt the Cowboys. 1/30th of their anticipated revenue will not be realized. The fact that the loss of revenue comes in year 2 versus say year 25 that loss of revenue is compounded. No one stands to lose more from a labor stoppage than Ol Stretch-face Jones. The Bills will suck again next year no matter who we draft so a work stoppage might not be that bad when viewed from that perspective. Now what would happen if Stretch-face has no revenue in 2012 as well? One can only dream....

If you figure that stadiums have on average a 30 year life span, it stands to reason that no football in 2011 will seriously hurt the Cowboys. 1/30th of their anticipated revenue will not be realized. The fact that the loss of revenue comes in year 2 versus say year 25 that loss of revenue is compounded. No one stands to lose more from a labor stoppage than Ol Stretch-face Jones. The Bills will suck again next year no matter who we draft so a work stoppage might not be that bad when viewed from that perspective. Now what would happen if Stretch-face has no revenue in 2012 as well? One can only dream....

I find it strange that you say the bills will suck no matter who we draft this year in this post, yet say that we have tk draft defense with our 1st 2 picks this year. If we are gonna suck no matter what, why do we have to draft defense with our 1st 2 picks? So we can suck a little less? We need to fill a LOT of holes. If we're gonna suck no

matter what, why does it matter which order we fill the holes?

On the topic, yes, Jones will likely lose more than any other owner, probably by a big margin. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I can't see anyway there won't be NFL games in 2011

Edited by NewEra

I find it strange that you say the bills will suck no matter who we draft this year in this post, yet say that we have tk draft defense with our 1st 2 picks this year. If we are gonna suck no matter what, why do we have to draft defense with our 1st 2 picks? So we can suck a little less? We need to fill a LOT of holes. If we're gonna suck no

matter what, why does it matter which order we fill the holes?

On the topic, yes, Jones will likely lose more than any other owner, probably by a big margin. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I can't see anyway there won't be NFL games in 2011

The draft is loaded with defense who is to say next years will have this much quality. Pick the ripe fruit.

There's going to be a season. At worst it will start a little late. There's still a chance the mediator will order one to start on time.

This talk of no season is absurd. The NFL isn't hockey.

Not to minimize your thought but Jerah has done a great job of diversifying the use of the stadium for events other than football. He will also collect his Tv revenue so I don't expect to see him saying ouch too loudly.

There's going to be a season. At worst it will start a little late. There's still a chance the mediator will order one to start on time.

This talk of no season is absurd.

The NFL isn't hockey.

There have been work stoppages in football, don't fool yourself. It is the rich against the richer and neither side really cares about us, imo.

The draft is loaded with defense who is to say next years will have this much quality. Pick the ripe fruit.

Who's to say we are in a position to draft a QB that they like next year? I'm not saying they like newton or gabbert (if they're available), but if they do, it makes sense to draft one.

Not to minimize your thought but Jerah has done a great job of diversifying the use of the stadium for events other than football. He will also collect his Tv revenue so I don't expect to see him saying ouch too loudly.

I don't know anything about his efforts to diversify use of the stadium, but I think he's probably only getting to keep TV revenue if the NFL season is played. It doesn't get as much publicity as the Brady antitrust suit involving the lockout, but there is a separate lawsuit pending in Minnesota federal court involving the NFL's renegotiation of TV broadcast contracts. Judge Doty already decided that the NFL breached a contractual duty of good faith to the players when the NFL renegotiated TV broadcast contracts to ensure that certain TV revenues would be received by the NFL even if NFL games were cancelled because the players were later locked out. See pages 5 and 21 of Judge Doty's March 1. 2011 opinion and order, signed about 10 days before the lock-out started, at this link:

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/minnesota/mndce/4:1992cv00906/57169/675/

The "Historical Context" section of the opinion at pages 3-5 gives an overview of events that have happened since 1992. What I found most interesting was the opinion's finding about why the NFL renegotiated the TV broadcast contracts. Judge Doty says that the NFL was concerned that the NFL's lenders could declare that an "event of default" had occurred if the NFL owners later locked out the players and did not receive TV broadcast revenues as a result.

I'm no business loan expert, but it seems at least possible to me that the terms of an NFL loan (which I have not seen) would give the lending bank the right, when an event of default occurs, to call the loan making the full amount owed by the NFL immediately due and payable.

Also, note that Judge Doty's 3/1/11 order (at the very last page of the above link), requires that a hearing be held to consider the players' request for injunctive relief and monetary damages caused by the NFL's breach of the White Stipulation and Settlement Agreement, as amended in 1993, 1996, 2002 and 2006.

I suspect the NFL and Jerrah will easily find the funds needed to pay any damage award and repay any outstanding loans, but I don't think they will be doing it with broadcast TV revenues if the 2011 season isn't played. The OP's thought was projecting what might happen if the 2011 season doesn't get played (even if you think that's unlikely).

I don't think the 30-year lifespan is really accurate anymore. Yes, that is the case with the stadiums built in the late 60s to the mid-80s. However, almost all of those stadiums were built on the cheap, were cookie-cutter, and complete eyesores from the get-go.

The "I need a new stadium" era was really ushered in by the tremendous success of Oriole Park at Camden Yards. That facility is now 19 years old. I don't think anyone's of the opinion that Camden Yards is within 10 years of needing to be replaced.

There have been work stoppages in football, don't fool yourself. It is the rich against the richer and neither side really cares about us, imo.

Worst thing that could happen (and it's shaping up this way) is that the two sides do not gain any ground during the present "mandated mediation" sessions. The judge then decides in favor of one side or the other. The losing side then appeals the judge's decision, and the 2011 NFL season is spent mired in the judicial system. This is a very real possibility, and I think a lot of people (including myself) are in a state of denial right now.

In terms of us sucking no matter who we draft; there is some truth to that - meaning if we draft wisely (that would be a first IMO), we pick up the most talented Defensive players and some help on Offense to fill those holes. Most of the high draft picks will likely play, some more than others. They will contribute. BUT, even if they play like seasoned Pro-Bowlers, our defense goes from last to somewhere in the middle of the pack (Best case scenario). No reason to believe that the improvement won't continue in the same direction in 2012.

So...what's my point? We will still suck, just less. We'll win a few more games, maybe finishing with 6-8 wins. We have the 2nd toughest schedule of all teams in 2011. That win-loss record puts us in the middle of the draft next year. Even if we draft a QB in the first rd this year and play him all season, no matter which QB you're thinking about, the probability that he pulls a Matty Ice in year 1 and puts us in the playoffs is about the same as winning the lottery.

So, although I hope for better, reality says we go from "Suck" to "Mediocrity" in 2011. Fitz will give us some exciting games, right to the finish - so it'll be a fun season. Who knows? Maybe we'll even see some sacks and run stuffing along the way (against the other team, not ours for a change).

I dont like any of the new stadiums in Dallas, Indy or New York...they are just too big

the one in the Meadowlands looks exactly like the old one just bigger...a lot of thought went into that one

i like the Ravens stadium except you can see the tunnels which to me is dumb, all stadiums should have an open concourse

i think the Titans and Eagles have the best stadiums in the league right now

this is just my rant