TRADE DOWN WITH HOUSTON?

In Peter King's MMQB, he says Houston is very much interested in trading up to get Peterson. Take it for what it's worth but I'd be thrilled to move back to #11 and pick up another #2 in this year's draft and an additional pick in next year's draft. And no, I have no idea what "the chart" says is equivalent value. This team needs as many picks as it can accumulate.

In Peter King's MMQB, he says Houston is very much interested in trading up to get Peterson. Take it for what it's worth but I'd be thrilled to move back to #11 and pick up another #2 in this year's draft and an additional pick in next year's draft. And no, I have no idea what "the chart" says is equivalent value. This team needs as many picks as it can accumulate.

I would love it if the Bills traded down with Houston. Far better they do that than take Von Miller third overall!

Houston trades their RD2, RD3 and next year's RD2 for the move from 11 to 3.

Why they would do this for 1 player is beyond me.

Bills now have two 2nds, two 3rds, and two 4ths.

1 11 Buffalo Nick Fairley DE34 Auburn

2 34 Buffalo Jake Locker QB Washington

2 42 Buffalo Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame

3 68 Buffalo K.J. Wright ILB Mississippi State

3 73 Buffalo Jerrell Powe DT34 Mississippi

4 100 Buffalo Casey Matthews ILB Oregon

4 122 Buffalo Virgil Green TE Nevada

5 133 Buffalo Korey Lindsey CB Southern Illinois

6 169 Buffalo Ryan Winterswyk OLB34 Boise State

7 206 Buffalo Graig Cooper RBF Miami (FL)

7 245 Buffalo Adam Weber QB Minnesota

I'd take DE Pernell McPhee instead of the 2nd TE at #122, and consider Nate Williams, SS from Washington

at #206.

I'd take DE Pernell McPhee instead of the 2nd TE at #122, and consider Nate Williams, SS from Washington

at #206.

Why are so may suggesting we pick questionable offensive players early in a draft that is loaded with quality defensive players especially when OUR DEFENSE SUCKS? PIcks 1 and 2 must be defense and the third should be defense. Also our most glaring need on offense is right tackle and right guard assuming Wood moves to center. We need beef and nastiness on both lines.

Won't happen! Buddy said he wouldn't trade out of the top 10. Houston would have to give a hell of a lot.

No. 11 might be a touch too low for Buffalo's tastes, as well, if their trade-down target is an end like Cameron Jordan or J.J. Watt. Still, we know the Bills are open to moving down, so this situation bears watching

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/4/18/2117963/2011-nfl-draft-patrick-peterson-houston-texans

at #206.

Below are some of my thoughts on this draft.

• Fairley - a few months ago, the conventional wisdom on this board was that Fairley wouldn't be around at third overall. Now he'll be there at 11th? I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that (at least among the general public) a player's draft day stock can seem to vary considerably.
  • Locker - I personally would prefer Ponder at this pick, and I'm not really convinced Locker can be The Guy. I'd like to say I'd be comfortable leaving his evaluation in the hands of the experts. Unfortunately, the experts at One Bills Drive are also the experts who liked Mike Williams, J.P. Losman, Drew Bledsoe (as a long-term solution), etc.
  • Kyle Rudolf - I'm not in love with the idea of taking a TE in the second. Partially because we already have Nelson at TE, and partially because I'd like to see a RT with that pick. On the other hand, I can see the logic in taking a superior player at a position of non-need or partial need to an inferior player at a position of need.
  • An ILB in the 3rd, and another in the 4th. That's a lot of ILBs! I realize you need to add at least one starting-caliber ILB. Adding a second one for depth makes sense too, at least if you have the extra pick.
  • Another TE in the fourth. How many second- or third-rate TEs does this team really need? On the other hand, I'm not claiming that I would be able to come up with some brilliant use for that fourth round pick. I see you've added a 3-4 DE and a NT, so using the pick to add yet more depth on the DL might not be necessary. You've added two ILBs and an OLB-34, so it's not clear whether yet another LB is truly necessary. Maybe . . . a defensive back? Or, better, a backup OT.

In answer to your question as to why Houston would give up a bunch of picks for just one guy: sometimes an elite difference-maker can be worth more than a bunch of so-so players. (Especially when you can fill your team's roster with so-so free agents anyway, if that's what you want to do. And you can sign them for a reasonable price!) If Houston sees Peterson as an elite difference-maker, and if they don't feel a player of similar quality will be available at 11th overall, trading up could be a very viable option for them.

Why are so may suggesting we pick questionable offensive players early in a draft that is loaded with quality defensive players especially when OUR DEFENSE SUCKS? PIcks 1 and 2 must be defense and the third should be defense. Also our most glaring need on offense is right tackle and right guard assuming Wood moves to center. We need beef and nastiness on both lines.

First off, everyone in this years draft is "questionable", on offense and on defense. Our defense does suck, but our offense is nothing to write home about. Like ive said so many time already, when you have "x" holes to fill, it doesn't matter when you fill them. Fill them one by one over the next couple years and hope that the guys we fill them with pan out. Sure, we need to shore up our run defense, and I'm sure the FO has a plan to do so. We also need a great QB, TE, and OT. We invested a 2nd and 3rd round pick last year in Troupe and Carrington. Neither got a lot of PT last year, but both are expected to play major minutes this season. If they progress, so will our run D. We also have a stud in Kyle Williams. That's 3 pieces to our 3-4 or 4-3 defense up front. We also invested good money in Dwan Edwards. All four will be playing a lot this season. At LB, we definitely have holes. Many on this board don't think there are any LBs worth selecting #3 overall. Personally, I'd be happy with Miller or Quinn, as I see a lot of upside in both. But of Nix isn't sold on one, and they don't have faith in fairley, and Dareus is off the board, there's a good chance they go with a QB they really like. Cam Jordan would also be a great pick, but if they like the QB, I don't see why they would pass on a teams most important position. Sure Fitz surprised a lot of us last year with his play, but Gailey said it himself, if theres a QB that can lead our team for the next 10 years, you have to seriously think about drafting him.

The thought that we HAVE to go defense in the 1st and 2nd round when we have so many holes is absurd to me. Draft the player they like the most at a position of need and fill in the other holes with the rest of the picks this year and next. Not sure why that's so hard to comprehend. We are trying to BUILD a team to eventually make a run at the super bowl. We aren't filling one or two spots so we can win the super bowl this year. It's not a one year process

at #206.

No Locker please.

1 11 Buffalo Cameron Jordan 34DE California

2 34 Buffalo Christian Ponder QB Florida St

2 42 Buffalo Marcus Gilbert OT Florida

3 68 Buffalo Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU

3 73 Buffalo Luke Stocker TE Tennessee

4 122 Buffalo Shareece Wright CB USC

5 133 Buffalo Dom DeCicco SS Pittsburgh

6 169 Buffalo Joesph Barksdale OT LSU

7 206 Buffalo Josh Thomas CB Buffalo

7 245 Buffalo DeMarcus Love OG/OT Arkanas

1 11 Buffalo Cameron Jordan 34DE California

2 34 Buffalo Christian Ponder QB Florida St

2 42 Buffalo Marcus Gilbert OT Florida

3 68 Buffalo Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU

3 73 Buffalo Luke Stocker TE Tennessee

4 122 Buffalo Shareece Wright CB USC

5 133 Buffalo Dom DeCicco SS Pittsburgh

6 169 Buffalo Joesph Barksdale OT LSU

7 206 Buffalo Josh Thomas CB Buffalo

7 245 Buffalo DeMarcus Love OG/OT Arkanas

I would love a draft like this! :thumbsup: Cam Jordan would help solidify the front-7 of our 3-4; and 11th overall seems like about where he should be taken. Christian Ponder has a reasonably solid chance of being The Guy. If he works out, great. If not, a second round pick for a solid backup QB wouldn't be the end of the world. Adding a RT later in the second, and an ILB in the third, will help shore up other critical needs. The guys you envision in rounds 4 - 7 will help build depth at ILB, DB, and the OL. The Bills would become a significantly better, more complete team after a draft like this.