Im Not Calling Gerald McCoy a Bust

Perhaps, but what is more likely is the talent evaluators for the NFL Draft look at certain aspects of a player's game that translate into success in the NFL. Guys at DL with good uppper body strength, long arms, a quick first step off the snap of the ball, above average agility, etc are likely to be drafted higher and will have higher expectations once in the NFL. Its just what they're looking for when evaluating players. I guess you could call it a script...

Perhaps, but what is more likely is the talent evaluators for the NFL Draft look at certain aspects of a player's game that translate into success in the NFL. Guys at DL with good uppper body strength, long arms, a quick first step off the snap of the ball, above average agility, etc are likely to be drafted higher and will have higher expectations once in the NFL. Its just what they're looking for when evaluating players. I guess you could call it a script...

My thought exactly. A script is one name for the description of the ideal make-up for a positional player. You could take any position and say the same thing.

And McCoy has plenty of time to prove himself. I don't see much bust potential there, though I know that's not where you were coming from.

But when i read his last year draft profile and what McShay,kiper and other said about him....he sounds alot like the DL in this draft...i think they just fellow a scripted outline for all DL that are projected in the top 10

One thing I do know about McCoy was during the process last Season NFL Network especially wanted to hype-up the fact that some Teams may have had him rated ahead of Suh...Heck even Mike Mayock had McCoy ahead of Suh (though he was clear he loved Suh as well)...I do not get to watch a ton of Big 12 Football, but one thing I knew for sure from what I did see is that not in a million years would I have taken McCoy over Suh...It seemed to me to be a ridiculous conversation...One guy looked pretty darn good, the other one looked like Reggie-freaking White...

With the D-Line prospects this year I would say based on what I've seen that Dareus looks solid, but Fairley looked like Bruce-freaking Smith...They said Bruce was soft when he came out of Va Tech...They say Fairley is soft and lazy now...We'll see if Fairley can develop a Bruce-like work ethic...If he does look out, cause that Kid will be an absolute monster...I don't think there is another D-Line in the Top of this Draft that can sniff Fairley's potential...There are plenty of solid if not spectacular D-Linemen in this Draft...To me Dareus is more in the McCoy mode...Very solid...I worry about the Ends...Quinn with limited tape and Bowers with the knee...JJ Watt looks real safe too... B-)

McCoy had a VERY productive rookie season, so I don't know what the big deal is. Suh's numbers are EPIC and just unreal for a rookie DT. 3 sacks, 4 pass defensed and 2 forced fumbles in 13 games, is very good for a rookie DT in my book.

Actually I think Maybin is a excellent example of a talented kid without the work ethic and drive.

Well he seems to have the work ethic in the gym...Not sure he applies it to the Football Field in any way...But his body-fat has got to be less than 5%...That's not exactly easy...My guess on Maybin is that he's just not too good...Can't play with leverage, and has about zero functional strength on the field...I'm not sure if it's from a lack of effort as much as it is from a lack of being any good... B-)

he had a good rookie season. he is a interior DL not sure what you expected. i think next year he could look even better when brian price comes back from injury and is lined up in the middle with mccoy it could be a nasty defense.

Well he seems to have the work ethic in the gym...Not sure he applies it to the Football Field in any way...But his body-fat has got to be less than 5%...That's not exactly easy...My guess on Maybin is that he's just not too good...Can't play with leverage, and has about zero functional strength on the field...I'm not sure if it's from a lack of effort as much as it is from a lack of being any good... B-)

My thoughts exactly. He's just not a football player.

I agree. I think that Maybin works hard and tries hard. He just doesn't have the talent that many thought

that he did. This is the danger of drafting someone who, for one year, beat good college competition on

athletic ability (beware Cam Newton, Nick Fairley). Unfortunately, the Bills ignored a big red flag when

Maybin's workouts failed to match what they thought they saw on film. I think the same can easily be

said for Fairley this year. My issue with Newton is more that he hasn't shown the necessary passing skills

in college (at least in terms of NFL-type passing).

Most analysts like Mcshay and Kiper aren't talent scouts and I personally don't listen to much of what these guys say or think about players (except Mayock who, as far as I know, is known to thoroughly research the players). I try to watch games they play in or find as many clips as possible to form my own opinions. Ultimately it comes down to the scouts and evaluators on each team and hoping the ones on our team get it right. Unfortunately our history in the last ten or more years has been been below average at best. I'm hoping Chix hits some home runs this draft or it'll be another long year.

P.S. Many of these analysts had Maybin rated pretty close to where we picked him and I can remember them discounting guys like Clay Matthews and Aaron Rogers as well, so their records aren't any better than many fans here on TBD. It's like playing Vegas, it's always a risk with big payouts possible at any time.

P.S.S I still think Spiller will be special. I may also be wrong. This is how it works.

Ah, go for it. Call McCoy a bust. It'll make you feel better. :lol:

Which is pretty much exactly what his coach said about him. B-)

Most analysts like Mcshay and Kiper aren't talent scouts and I personally don't listen to much of what these guys say or think about players (except Mayock who, as far as I know, is known to thoroughly research the players). I try to watch games they play in or find as many clips as possible to form my own opinions. Ultimately it comes down to the scouts and evaluators on each team and hoping the ones on our team get it right. Unfortunately our history in the last ten or more years has been been below average at best. I'm hoping Chix hits some home runs this draft or it'll be another long year.

P.S. Many of these analysts had Maybin rated pretty close to where we picked him and I can remember them discounting guys like Clay Matthews and Aaron Rogers as well, so their records aren't any better than many fans here on TBD. It's like playing Vegas, it's always a risk with big payouts possible at any time.

I remember a NFL Network Film session Mayock did on Maybin where he said he had MAJOR concerns about whether or not he could hold up vs. the Run in the NFL...I'm pretty sure during that segment Mayock said he would not take Maybin in the 1st Round...Mayock is not 100% either...But he's the best in the business... B-)