Adam Shefter's opinion

If I said "He throws like Tom Brady" or "He throws like Brett Favre" or "He throws like Tim Tebow" you would know what I mean and see the difference, yes?

Well Von Miller rushes the passer like Aaron Maybin. Thats a huge similiarity that can not and should not be ignored.

Now I will turn it around, what player in the NFL rushes the passer like Von Miller? I cant think of any (other than Maybin) off the top of my head.

To all the size guys, I really dont care about his weight, I care about how he plays. He plays small. He was pushed around by TEs. Thats why I think he is small. Also, 237 at the Sr Bowl, 246 at Combine, 250 the other day at the Browns visit. thinking about that, and from seeing him on TV, my guess is that he played the last two seasons bewteen 225-230. He has played no football at 250, which some people also thought was a risk with Maybin.

Aaron maybin is (was) simply and outside speed rusher. He couldn't take it inside because he doesn't (didn't) have the agility nor the hands to take inside. Millers best pass rush is his outside speed rush, but he has shown on MANY occasions he has tha agility AND the hands to take it inside. He can start a rush outside, get the OT moving outside, then cut it back, use his hands to keep the OTs momentum going outside and beat them. Sure, you can say "thats college, he hasn't done it in the NFL". But there isn't a player in this draft that has proven they can do ANYTHING in the NFL.

The comparison is made by those that are scorned by maybin and feel they can judge a player by watching one Youtube video vs Nebraska (the most successful rushing team in NCAA history). I too am scorned by Maybin, it's obvious to my eyes, that the ONLY comparisons that can be made between the 2 are weight (in which, Miller has improved upon drastically so far. Who knows if he can keep it on), and that both of them were very successful at getting to the QB in college via a speed rush. That was the ONLY way maybin was able to do it. Miller is twice the athlete and has the ability to get there in other way. It may have to do with using his speed, but anything miller does will be helped by his speed, because his speed is elite. His instincts, leadership, focus and ability to cover are a few "little" things you may wanna compare as well. Comparing 2 attributes in a league where you need a total package to succeed is trivial. Just as this maybin/miller debate is. My 2 cents.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rd 1 Von Miller

Rd 2 Phil Taylor I like this .

Phil Taylor will go in the first, theres just too many teams that could use someone with his size,strength, and athletisism. Red flags or not. The Chiefs,Jets,Chargers,Seahawks, etc,etc.

Edited by mob16151

That theyre both undersized! look at all the top OLB passrushers in the NFL and tell me how many weigh less than 250 lbs.! I understand what you're saying but you can't deny that theyre very similar players in terms of size and technique.

This is pretty remarkable. It's quite obvious that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You just keep repeating yourself without ever making a logical point hoping that magically it will somehow come across as a valid argument. Maybin and Miller are not similar players. Not even in the slightest.

This is pretty remarkable. It's quite obvious that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You just keep repeating yourself without ever making a logical point hoping that magically it will somehow come across as a valid argument. Maybin and Miller are not similar players. Not even in the slightest.

I can see where peole would see similarities between Maybin and Von. However Miller is much stronger than Maybin, has some counter moves, uses his hands well, and has had more than 1 good year at the college level.

Check out this video of Quinn v Virginia...

youtube.com/watch?v=CNoYxbvKxXE

That's the difference between these two players. One can take on blocks and still make a play because of his size, the other one can only run around blockers to make a play. Can Miller change his game and play bigger fending off blocks? That's a huge question mark now don't you think since we've yet to see it on video? Let me ask you something, if the experts were all saying that Quinn was the best, not Miller, would you still be so high on Miller?

Haven't you already admitted that you don't watch college football? How you can try and post a Youtube clip and come across as if you know what you're talking about is mind boggling. I'm not sure if I'm getting trolled or not by the people that don't watch college football at all and still pretend like they know exactly what they're talking about. It's working though, because this is getting a little frustrating.

Aaron maybin is (was) simply and outside speed rusher. He couldn't take it inside because he doesn't (didn't) have the agility nor the hands to take inside. Millers best pass rush is his outside speed rush, but he has shown on MANY occasions he has tha agility AND the hands to take it inside. He can start a rush outside, get the OT moving outside, then cut it back, use his hands to keep the OTs momentum going outside and beat them. Sure, you can say "thats college, he hasn't done it in the NFL". But there isn't a player in this draft that has proven they can do ANYTHING in the NFL.

Please provide the YouTube link and the time during the video that this occurred. :thumbdown:

I can see where peole would see similarities between Maybin and Von. However Miller is much stronger than Maybin, has some counter moves, uses his hands well, and has had more than 1 good year at the college level.

they are both black, male, both last names begin with M and are 6 letters long, American, played college football- holy crap- they are pretty much identical!

Haven't you already admitted that you don't watch college football? How you can try and post a Youtube clip and come across as if you know what you're talking about is mind boggling. I'm not sure if I'm getting trolled or not by the people that don't watch college football at all and still pretend like they know exactly what they're talking about. It's working though, because this is getting a little frustrating.

You act as if all these Miller supporters were watching Texas A&M games this past college season. Oh yeah!! TONS of Bills fans here were watching Texas A&M!!...LOL Face it, they didn't and if they tell you they did they're probably lying.

As long as the video on youtube isn't doctored (is it?...LOL), then I feel more than confident in giving an opinion on these two players. I'm still waiting on the video showing Miller's physical style of play. I've already posted a few of Quinn showing this ability.

BTW, if you have time to watch college football every saturday then you're either not married or you don't have a girlfriend...LOL

The comparison is made by those that are scorned by maybin and feel they can judge a player by watching one Youtube video vs Nebraska (the most successful rushing team in NCAA history). I too am scorned by Maybin, it's obvious to my eyes, that the ONLY comparisons that can be made between the 2 are weight (in which, Miller has improved upon drastically so far. Who knows if he can keep it on), and that both of them were very successful at getting to the QB in college via a speed rush. That was the ONLY way maybin was able to do it. Miller is twice the athlete and has the ability to get there in other way. It may have to do with using his speed, but anything miller does will be helped by his speed, because his speed is elite. His instincts, leadership, focus and ability to cover are a few "little" things you may wanna compare as well. Comparing 2 attributes in a league where you need a total package to succeed is trivial. Just as this maybin/miller debate is. My 2 cents.

If the bolded were true I might agree with you and want Miller at 3, but I dont believe they are. In all the full games I watched on TV and all the youtube clips I could find and all the ESPN highlights I have seen I havent seen him fight off blocks one single time. Im not an NFL scout, I havent seen every play he has ever made, but I have seen him right off blocks and disengage from blocks exactly zero times. Considering the sample size I have seen I would have expected to see a lot mroe than zero.

Other than that he simply doesnt go 100% on every play. Id estimate about 60-70% of the plays he tries and on the others he kind walks around - giving zero backside pursuit. The Cotton bowl this year is a perfect example of that. I also dont think he will hold up against the run. I dont think he has any power. This is not the type of player you take 3rd overall to play 34 rush LB.

I think pass rushers in the NFL have to have a little bit of this in them, and If Maybin had a bit of this in him he might be able to get to the QB. I dont think Miller has any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AglSpWWkGbE

You act as if all these Miller supporters were watching Texas A&M games this past college season. Oh yeah!! TONS of Bills fans here were watching Texas A&M!!...LOL Face it, they didn't and if they tell you they did they're probably lying.

As long as the video on youtube isn't doctored (is it?...LOL), then I feel more than confident in giving an opinion on these two players. I'm still waiting on the video showing Miller's physical style of play. I've already posted a few of Quinn showing this ability.

BTW, if you have time to watch college football every saturday then you're either not married or you don't have a girlfriend...LOL

I have my girlfriend do my laundry and make me food for the game on Saturday :thumbsup:

Edited by Thoner7

Please provide the YouTube link and the time during the video that this occurred. :thumbdown:

I already did in the Von miller thread. I got it from the buffalobills.com front page. The video on linebackers. I'd post it again, but I'm on my phone. I've seen the same move on a couple other highlight compilations that have been posted by others. Maybe I should have said "several" or "more than a few times" rather than "many". His change of direction coupled with his explosion is hard to stay in front of when an OT is alone on an island with him. He knows how to set up the OT for the inside move by using his speed to get him moving outside. Imo, not too many OTs, even in the NfL, have the agility to continuously stop Miller from getting to the QB all game. He's also effective blitzing up the middle. Look at the countless videos that show that. Again, I'd post the same videos already posted, but I'm on my phone.

Edited by NewEra

Of course people are lying. It only makes sense.

You posted a clip of Quinn vs. Castonzo where you claim that Quinn owns Castonzo, when in reality, is not true. Physical style of play? Can you even explain what that even means or point it out in any of those videos? You're acting as if you've made a valid point. Posting a Youtube video and saying "Hey guys watch this. This guy is really good" isn't making a point.

What a solid assumption. That's like saying if you have time to watch NFL football on Sundays you're not married or don't have a girlfriend. Do you know how retarded that statement sounds?

If the bolded were true I might agree with you and want Miller at 3, but I dont believe they are. In all the full games I watched on TV and all the youtube clips I could find and all the ESPN highlights I have seen I havent seen him fight off blocks one single time. Im not an NFL scout, I havent seen every play he has ever made, but I have seen him right off blocks and disengage from blocks exactly zero times. Considering the sample size I have seen I would have expected to see a lot mroe than zero.

Other than that he simply doesnt go 100% on every play. Id estimate about 60-70% of the plays he tries and on the others he kind walks around - giving zero backside pursuit. The Cotton bowl this year is a perfect example of that. I also dont think he will hold up against the run. I dont think he has any power. This is not the type of player you take 3rd overall to play 34 rush LB.

I think pass rushers in the NFL have to have a little bit of this in them, and If Maybin had a bit of this in him he might be able to get to the QB. I dont think Miller has any.

youtube.com/watch?v=AglSpWWkGbE

I have my girlfriend do my laundry and make me food for the game on Saturday :thumbsup:

I dindt say he uses his hands well when playing the run. I said he uses them well when pass rushing after setting the OT up for an outside rush, then taking it inside.

You estimate he plays hard 60-70% of the time, while at the same time, admit that you didn't even know who he was until 2 months ago and have NEVER seen him play (other than YouTube). Makes a LOT of sense. The points you bring up keep getting worse and worse. Put down the bottle and actually watch a game before you spew such nonsense. Zero credibility

I live with my GF, she lays at the pool and goes shopping with her friends on the weekends during the day (I live in Vegas, it's pool whether til November). We don't have to hang out with eachother 24/7 when not at work. Needing women will never be a part of my life. To each is their own.

Edited by NewEra

I dindt say he uses his hands well when playing the run. I said he uses them well when pass rushing after setting the OT up for an outside rush, then taking it inside.

You estimate he plays hard 60-70% of the time, while at the same time, admit that you didn't even know who he was until 2 months ago and have NEVER seen him play (other than YouTube). Makes a LOT of sense. The points you bring up keep getting worse and worse. Put down the bottle and actually watch a game before you spew such nonsense. Zero credibility

I live with my GF, she lays at the pool and goes shopping with her friends on the weekends during the day (I live in Vegas, it's pool whether til November). We don't have to hang out with eachother 24/7 when not at work. Needing women will never be a part of my life. To each is their own.

I didnt say you did? I still disagree about the using his hands while rushing. I saw that video, the one on BB.com, and doesn't push the OT off on that second play, its more like a matador yelling Olay! as the clumsy Tackle runs by and falls over.

Im a Texas fan. I watch most of their big games, including every Texas/Texas A&M game. I have seen him play. I saw the Cotton Bowl too. And a couple more when I heard he was a great draft prospect. I assume you didnt see the Cotton Bowl then, when he tried on about 60-70% of the plays.

Thanks for the advice on my love life. My girlfriend doesn't have a washer/dryer at her apartment. Rather than going to a laundromat I let her use mine, as long as she does my wash too. Its an even trade.

Edited by Thoner7

the bills will draft Von miller or Dareus with our first pick and the best defensive linemen with our second pick.

My link

I am satisfied with this

That would be great. I know they drafted Troup (rd 2) and Carrington (rd 3) last year but man this team needs help on the front 7.

You posted a clip of Quinn vs. Castonzo where you claim that Quinn owns Castonzo, when in reality, is not true. Physical style of play? Can you even explain what that even means or point it out in any of those videos? You're acting as if you've made a valid point. Posting a Youtube video and saying "Hey guys watch this. This guy is really good" isn't making a point.

I did break it down before, but you obviously forgot that part...LOL Here you are again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqJrjwjf55c

00:12 great use of hands (yes, this is physical) to keep Costanzo's hands off him and swoop in for the kill shot.

02:21 bull rushes Costanzo (who couldn't handle him) and is at the QB in 3 seconds flat, great "physical" rush

03:21 splits a double team OG/OT , forces a bad throw, interception to the 1 yr. line., great "physical" rush

Also, take a look at that Virginia game I posted. I'm amazed that the year off has knocked his stock as far down as it has, from what I've seen, the guy is a physical freak. He reminds me of the way Lawrence Taylor played. BTW, if Taylor was playing now he'd be the same size as Quinn. People like saying that Taylor played at Miller's weight, however that was when lineman were easily 20-30 lbs lighter.

The Miller and Maybin comparison is not only getting old, it's also very ignorant and completely baseless.

The comparisions are the same. Maybin is younger & faster they play at the same weight.. Double bust.Unless You could play them as outside LB rushing the passer on opposite side that could cuase alot of protectio problems fro the opponent.

I did break it down before, but you obviously forgot that part...LOL Here you are again...

youtube.com/watch?v=kqJrjwjf55c

00:12 great use of hands (yes, this is physical) to keep Costanzo's hands off him and swoop in for the kill shot.

02:21 bull rushes Costanzo (who couldn't handle him) and is at the QB in 3 seconds flat, great "physical" rush

03:21 splits a double team OG/OT , forces a bad throw, interception to the 1 yr. line., great "physical" rush

Also, take a look at that Virginia game I posted. I'm amazed that the year off has knocked his stock as far down as it has, from what I've seen, the guy is a physical freak. He reminds me of the way Lawrence Taylor played. BTW, if Taylor was playing now he'd be the same size as Quinn. People like saying that Taylor played at Miller's weight, however that was when lineman were easily 20-30 lbs lighter.

I posted this in another thread but since you brought LT up in this one I'll repeat it.

I once saw Joe Washington plant Lawrence Taylor on his ass. All by himself and with absolutely no help. I'm not sure but I THINK Taylor never had a reputation of not being able to handle undersized RBs one no one.

GO BILLS!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=kqJrjwjf55c

You serious? That part 12 seconds he barely uses his hands. That was all dip and athleticism (which is impressive) but hardly being physical. At 2:21 he bull rushes Castonzo to collapse the pocket a little but for the most part he was being contained very well by Castonzo for enough time to allow the QB to get a throw off. At 3:21 he does a good enough job splitting the double team but again, the QB has enough space to move up into the pocket if he chooses that would negate the effort by Quinn. If you pause the clip at 3:17 you can see the amount of space that the QB has to work with. You'll even see that Quinn fell down just after the QB releases the ball. So if the QB moves up into the pocket he not only has good protection around him but he has Quinn on the floor with Castonzo standing over him in case he wanted to get up. Is that all you could get out of that Youtube clip?

You serious? That part 12 seconds he barely uses his hands. That was all dip and athleticism (which is impressive) but hardly being physical. At 2:21 he bull rushes Castonzo to collapse the pocket a little but for the most part he was being contained very well by Castonzo for enough time to allow the QB to get a throw off. At 3:21 he does a good enough job splitting the double team but again, the QB has enough space to move up into the pocket if he chooses that would negate the effort by Quinn. If you pause the clip at 3:17 you can see the amount of space that the QB has to work with. You'll even see that Quinn fell down just after the QB releases the ball. So if the QB moves up into the pocket he not only has good protection around him but he has Quinn on the floor with Castonzo standing over him in case he wanted to get up. Is that all you could get out of that Youtube clip?

LOL...beauty as they say, is in the eye of the beholder. BTW, that's a sophmore. He's going to be a freak at the next level.

Why again would Troup and Carrington be wasted picks? Oh I get it, your not a fan of DEPTH in case of injuries. I suppose that when a starter goes down it's wise to have a non drafted scrub take his place. Image what the Packers would have done last year if they had subscribed to that draft philosophy.

2+3 rounders aren't for depth retard, those guys better be starters. How about we just "subscribe" to drafting better players.

What draft "philosophy" would that be anyway? I'm sure Greenbay draft guys in the early round to be backups, If you noticed I drafted 2 of Greenbay's players so I guess I'm subscribing to what they are doing, which is getting better players.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian