Ryan Mallett?

Just so we're clear, does anyone have a link CONFIRMING this alleged drug use, and what type of drugs are in question? Or is this just an erroneous report conjured up by someone who shall remains nameless (or clueless if your name is Nawrocki)

its a lot of nameless stuff -- many anonymous scouts and such quoted in reports. frankly, it wouldnt shock me either way, and i cant blame anyone for not wanting their name on it - its bad publicity for anyone that speaks to the media on record from a team, but if your a qb needy team that plans on passing on him, its good to have why out there (just not with your logo next to it).

I cant claim yes, or no but if you see him slide past the mid second you almost have to believe that teams have some sort of reliable information about it. likewise if hes gone by 34-35 youd infer that the team that took him doesnt believe it, or doesnt have the same intel.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a lot of nameless stuff -- many anonymous scouts and such quoted in reports. frankly, it wouldnt shock me either way, and i cant blame anyone for not wanting their name on it - its bad publicity for anyone that speaks to the media on record from a team, but if your a qb needy team that plans on passing on him, its good to have why out there (just not with your logo next to it).

I cant claim yes, or no but if you see him slide past the mid second you almost have to believe that teams have some sort of reliable information about it. likewise if hes gone by 34-35 youd infer that the team that took him doesnt believe it, or doesnt have the same intel.

If he slips to the mid second or beyond it may also be an indication that he is a hot headed slow clod that will not be able to flourish with the speed of today's game.

I thought the rumors were that he smoked a little weed?

Nope - the rumors had a lot more to do with meth, cocaine etc...

Just so we're clear, does anyone have a link CONFIRMING this alleged drug use, and what type of drugs are in question? Or is this just an erroneous report conjured up by someone who shall remains nameless (or clueless if your name is Nawrocki)

The reports that PFT linked to about the drug rumors included one from Tony Softli who is the former Director of College Scouting for the Panthers and VP of Player Personnel for the Rams and was recently a candidate for the 49ers GM position which went to Trent Baalke.

Softli's a pretty credible source who, even though he now works in the media, would probably not wish to tarnish his own credibility as he's looking for another NFL job.

Finally the story of Mallett's alleged drug use was actually broken by Rob Rang of CBS sports.com.

The rumors didn't get into any specifics…no one wants to be the person to commit career homicide on Mallet…especially a guy like Softli who's trying to get back into the league.

The teams are researching his background.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

just saw a QB accuracy skills competition yesterday with moving targets at 20, 30 & 40 yards...Mallet won.... has a rocket for an arm......he's not gonna be there at #34.

Saw the same show . Mallet was the best Dalton second locker which B .Galiford of rumblings says the Bills need to get him in the second & would be a great deal at that spot .

I think he hit his head one to many times because Locker looked terrible couldn't hit the inside of a barn with the doors closed !

My pick if he falls to the 2nd is Dalton , mature , winner accurate , stats in college did nothing but get better each year . With a year or 2 behind Fitz i think he could be great . If Mallet was there i think he is a better pick for sure than Locker & the same applies to him as Dalton , it's just that Dalton has better mobility .

Mallet is more of a Bledsoe type which is not a bad thing but were not sure of the line play & need some mobility at the QB position .

Nope - the rumors had a lot more to do with meth, cocaine etc...

Plus, he is said he isn't the hardest worker in the world. He was real doughy at the combine.

Personally, a chubby, slow footed, coke head won't be my top choice to be the future QB of this team.

Of all the Qb's this year, I think Mallett is easily the most pro ready, and arguably the most talented throwing the football. If you put aside the drug issue, I think you have a bledsoeish/phillip rivers type guy that can def take this team deep into the playoffs with some defense behind him. Also, consider that he's the only one of the top 4-5 qb's that is used to reading defenses and adjusting coverages, routes, protections etc, which puts him ahead of newton and gabbert IMO.

So you want to draft a hippy loser?

If that's true then its a league full of hippy losers. I doubt it though, alcohol is the substance of choice for major abuse in the NFL. If it were weed, we would be treated with headlines like "Fitz caught eating 2 boxes of Cheez-its at Stop-n-go" rather than "Lynch arrested for hit and run".

Heading into the 2010 season and even this last year I kept thinking Mallett could be the answer. What an awesome arm ... but then the reality started to clear up the vision of this kid.

He has a great arm but whatever is clouding his head really makes him a real risk at Round 1 or 2. If the head is cleared and he learns to play while under pressure then some team will be really lucky but if he crumbles each time someone gets in his face then his future is either as a 'could have been' or as a CFL qb who sometimes gets headlines with the Argo's.

Here's a good link about his 'character' issues and talent level, http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Drug-rumors-surrounding-Ryan-Mallett.html

Mallet knows his x's and o's. Watch the Gruden QB camp on ESPN.

Caught most of that on ESPNU last night...I was impressed with what I saw, but, I don't know jack about how college translates into the pros. Something tells me, Mallett could do well with the right team, pretty early on...but he definitely seems to need ("definitely seems"!!)a very good, to great, O-line in front of him.

Personally, I like the "skill set" that Mallett posseses, but his style doesn't seem to fit our current HC/OC. I am a sucker for the traditional drop back, big armed QB (Bledsoe type), but the game seems to be trending away from that style (someone tell Al Davis!), and Chan Gailey seems to relish an offense that employs a QB who can move around a bit better.

Personally, I like the "skill set" that Mallett posseses, but his style doesn't seem to fit our current HC/OC. I am a sucker for the traditional drop back, big armed QB (Bledsoe type), but the game seems to be trending away from that style (someone tell Al Davis!), and Chan Gailey seems to relish an offense that employs a QB who can move around a bit better.

The other problem in terms of Mallet not fitting our current HC/OC is that in the past Galley has no record anyone has been able to show me of making good use of a rookie QB. The Galley style to this point has been to take a vet QB who has failed in previous gigs (or at least not impressed to hand onto the job) like Fiedler, Bulger, Kordell and yes even Fitzy and make it work with his system.

The archetype of the Galley QB is a vet who has seen a bunch of NFL Ds, who is football bright, has a relatively quick release and enough pocket awareness and athleticism to make escapes when needed.

The past does not guarantee future actions, but it can be a pretty strong indicator. I see no evidence beyond wishful thinking and Sully/WGR whining that indicates Galley is really going to invest more than a 4th rounder in a rookie QB.

I do not think Fitzy is the franchise QB we want and need, but I am even more certain that none of the rookie QBs are the QB Galley wants and needs.

The other problem in terms of Mallet not fitting our current HC/OC is that in the past Galley has no record anyone has been able to show me of making good use of a rookie QB. The Galley style to this point has been to take a vet QB who has failed in previous gigs (or at least not impressed to hand onto the job) like Fiedler, Bulger, Kordell and yes even Fitzy and make it work with his system.

The archetype of the Galley QB is a vet who has seen a bunch of NFL Ds, who is football bright, has a relatively quick release and enough pocket awareness and athleticism to make escapes when needed.

The past does not guarantee future actions, but it can be a pretty strong indicator. I see no evidence beyond wishful thinking and Sully/WGR whining that indicates Galley is really going to invest more than a 4th rounder in a rookie QB.

I do not think Fitzy is the franchise QB we want and need, but I am even more certain that none of the rookie QBs are the QB Galley wants and needs.

Well...

It's not entirely up to Gailey...In fact Nix has the final say...And while I don't disagree necessarily about the past, Gailey is an Offensive Coach and my guess is when he sees the upside some of these Kids offer he gets pulled in just like anyone else...The possibilities become endless...If Gailey assumes that Newton is going to reach his potential can you imagine what he could do with a Kid who possesses that kind of physical talent? I just don't see any way Gailey gets locked in on the whole Vet thing...For example, we all know The Bills would Draft Andrew Luck in a half a heartbeat...While none of these Kids are Luck, The Bills are assuming they are never going to have the opportunity to Draft a QB this high again...So if one of these Kids sparks Gailey's imagination, and Nix wants to go that way, I'm pretty sure he'll sign off on Drafting a QB high without a problem...Then he'll simply get to work on building an Offense around that Kids talents... B-)

Mallett is really good at throwing a football. He releases the ball around eight feet high which is absolutely amazing. He played in a pro-style offense. A very big plus.

However, he's a *big* project. He won't play for a few years. Is that what you want your 2nd overall pick to do in a year where you could really fix other positions with ready to play starters on either line or the long forgotten TE?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6348822

Great article about Mallet. FYI, in the article, Petrino says he never tested positive for drugs.

Very good read...Some of the stuff going on with Mallett behind the scenes reminds me a bit of what pushed Dan Marino down the Draft Board in 83...It's just my opinion...But the fact that some respected Scouts have Locker and Ponder ahead of Mallett is really a joke...It can only be character because the Kid may not be a gazelle, but he's a better natural athlete than Brady...He's got a Rocket Arm and put up huge numbers vs. the best competition in College Football...I'd love to see The Bills Trade down a bit and land Mallett...I know it's not going to happen, but I would not mind at all if it did... B-)

Mallett is really good at throwing a football. He releases the ball around eight feet high which is absolutely amazing. He played in a pro-style offense. A very big plus.

However, he's a *big* project. He won't play for a few years. Is that what you want your 2nd overall pick to do in a year where you could really fix other positions with ready to play starters on either line or the long forgotten TE?

Meh- I figure were a year or two away either way. So the qb can be a project as long as he's ready when the team is. This year they won't be unless we go nuts in FA.

who cares how fast his forty time was? Peyton's not fast either.

And Brady is definitely slower...

But lets be fair...Mallett's question marks are Manning and Brady's strength's... Preparation, Film study, Leadership (not saying those are actual problems, just the perceived ones)...Mallett may very well turn his critics around if he's a mentally strong, 1st in - last out type NFL QB...But those things cannot be answered yet, therefor Mallett is going to have plenty of Folks who say he's not going to make it...But to say it's not possible to design an NFL Offense around Mallett's strengths is ridiculous...Of coarse it's possible...Any time you have a 6-6 QB who can make any Pass effortlessly anything is possible...Especially for an Offensive Coach like Gailey...His foot speed or lack thereof is a product of too much over-Scouting around here...There are ways for Mallett to become one of the best in the NFL...We'll see if it happens... B-)