Violence in Mexico

gmac17

Watching all the news about the violence in Mexico, I'm surprised that there isn't much discussion (that I've seen at least) about the fact that this is coming about because of the huge demand for drugs in America. I'm not trying to start a discussion on drug use, but it seems like in the old days half of the conversation would be about the cause of the problem.

Things get wild in the middle east and you can't go a day without hearing "dependence on foreign oil", but Mexico is spiraling out of control and there isn't much talk about the US dependence on pot and coke. just something I noticed.....

Watching all the news about the violence in Mexico, I'm surprised that there isn't much discussion (that I've seen at least) about the fact that this is coming about because of the huge demand for drugs in America. I'm not trying to start a discussion on drug use, but it seems like in the old days half of the conversation would be about the cause of the problem.

Things get wild in the middle east and you can't go a day without hearing "dependence on foreign oil", but Mexico is spiraling out of control and there isn't much talk about the US dependence on pot and coke. just something I noticed.....

Well, Rip Van Winkle. Good morning.

I rather think the administration wants to sweep causality and all of Mexico under the rug at the moment.

They might have to explain the ATF's Project Gunrunner. CBS News has been hitting this story hard the past couple of weeks. For those who haven't heard, the ATF has been funneling fully- and semi-automatic weapons across the border directly into the hands of drug cartels, to the tune of $10M in stimulus funds and some estimates at $100M total. One border agent is all but confirmed to have been killed with one of these weapons.

By all their other actions, including yanking the head of the ATF out of Congressional hearings, cover-up has been their tack so far. I'm sure some stimulus or ATF czar will commit sepuku/hari kari and then be set up with a nice job in the private sector.

Not saying that this has been the sole cause of the violence --- in fact, the cartels get the vast majority of their weapons from Central American countries according to cables published on Wikileaks rather than from the U.S. as Obama would have everyone believe (in fact, they've probably gotten more from the U.S. government than from private smugglers) --- but it sure can't help. Drug money fuels it all.

Edited by UConn James

this is really stupid. i dont follow this at all. but when i have noticed, it seems like the local government or the state government gets involved. why doesnt the mexican military go in there and really take over? i think they could end all this junk if they wanted to.

unless the government is involved and doesnt want to end the situation. most likely its that. mexico is known for its corruption.

same thing with the mara s or ms gang. i think its the worlds biggest stupidest gang. el salvador is full of that crap. a little home video camera would show you who is a gangster and who is not. gather all the stupid gangsters and let them kill each other. ps. i hate gangs.

And we all know it takes shitloads of money to grant those rights and freedoms.

+1

The one thing about legalizing pot and taxing the crap out of it is convincing the pot smokers to buy the expensive weed versus the cheap stuff they get from their dealers. Why pay 20 to the gov when you can pay 10 to the guy on the corner. So unless the US starts pumping out a few hundred tons of Pineapple Express...

+1

The one thing about legalizing pot and taxing the crap out of it is convincing the pot smokers to buy the expensive weed versus the cheap stuff they get from their dealers. Why pay 20 to the gov when you can pay 10 to the guy on the corner. So unless the US starts pumping out a few hundred tons of Pineapple Express...

Lame, it would so be cheaper if legal.

Lame, it would so be cheaper if legal.

Can't get any cheaper than growing your own. The only reason people don't make their own booze is because it's a pain and doesn't always come out any good. But you can grow your own killer weed. Screw the government and their taxes.

My statement missed the mark a bit. The point being is, how is legal pot going to be cheaper than illegal pot when we start taxing and monitoring production and what not? While a solid idea in theory, the logistics of legalizing pot is more of a pipedream than anything.

Can't get any cheaper than growing your own. The only reason people don't make their own booze is because it's a pain and doesn't always come out any good. But you can grow your own killer weed. Screw the government and their taxes.

the main reason people don't make booze is the ATF. In this "land of the free" the feds will crack down on you if you attempt to make your own booze. Believe me I would love to get a pot still and make some bourbon, rum, and vodka. It is pretty easy. legendary moonshiner who got his balls busted

the main reason people don't make booze is the ATF. In this "land of the free" the feds will crack down on you if you attempt to make your own booze. Believe me I would love to get a pot still and make some bourbon, rum, and vodka. It is pretty easy. legendary moonshiner who got his balls busted

Paranoia runs deep in your mind. Home brewing and home wine making is a very big industry. Plenty of people making their own booze without fear of being busted.

Paranoia runs deep in your mind. Home brewing and home wine making is a very big industry. Plenty of people making their own booze without fear of being busted.

Enlightenment runs deep in my mind. I would set up a pot still in my backyard if I could. I do know people who make their own vodka from table sugar and rum from molasses. It is quite good and very easy to make- if you choose to break that law

and it was illegal to brew your own beer in America until Jimmy Carter repealed that ridiculous law

Enlightenment runs deep in my mind. I would set up a pot still in my backyard if I could. I do know people who make their own vodka from table sugar and rum from molasses. It is quite good and very easy to make- if you choose to break that law

and it was illegal to brew your own beer in America until Jimmy Carter repealed that ridiculous law

So why do you choose to buy pot but not make your own booze? I guess you choose which laws you want to break.

So why do you choose to buy pot but not make your own booze? I guess you choose which laws you want to break.

that is a loaded question that I will not answer on a message board. I think weed and booze making should both be legal

that is a loaded question that I will not answer on a message board. I think weed and booze making should both be legal

That was more of a rhetorical question. I think we all choose certain things that are either illegal or immoral over others. I think, as I mentioned, growing your own pot is easier than making your own wine or beer. I've always wanted to make my own wine but don't want to go through the hassle when I can buy good stuff or $10. I cure my own sausages and make my own cheese now. I'll be making some camembert next week. If pot were legal there probably is a good chance I'd grow my own. I had a party at my house yesterday and one of my staff has a friend who makes his own Absinthe. He grows his own wormwood and herbs for it. It's very good and a very lucid buzz. His issue is not ATF but the big corporations (something I think you can relate to :D) that make it very difficult for him to bring is Absinthe to market.

That was more of a rhetorical question. I think we all choose certain things that are either illegal or immoral over others. I think, as I mentioned, growing your own pot is easier than making your own wine or beer. I've always wanted to make my own wine but don't want to go through the hassle when I can buy good stuff or $10. I cure my own sausages and make my own cheese now. I'll be making some camembert next week. If pot were legal there probably is a good chance I'd grow my own. I had a party at my house yesterday and one of my staff has a friend who makes his own Absinthe. He grows his own wormwood and herbs for it. It's very good and a very lucid buzz. His issue is not ATF but the big corporations (something I think you can relate to :D) that make it very difficult for him to bring is Absinthe to market.

I would like to have a farm, grow my own organic vegetables, make my own cheese, be a beekeeper, grow weed, make booze...and would if I could. That absinthe sounds interesting. Did you happen to read the Eaters Manifesto Mark Bittman article I posted? I like his idea of a civilian cooking corps

I would like to have a farm, grow my own organic vegetables, make my own cheese, be a beekeeper, grow weed, make booze...and would if I could. That absinthe sounds interesting. Did you happen to read the Eaters Manifesto Mark Bittman article I posted? I like his idea of a civilian cooking corps

I don't get it.... why can't you? You can do all of those things, except grow weed. I know plenty of people that make their own beer, wine, and liquor. Certainly anyone can grown vegetables - organic or pesticide-laden, keep bees and even make their own honey. I don't understand why you think you can't do any of that. You can even sell it! Of course, you have to get the proper business licenses and all that, that entails.. but there's no one stopping you from doing it.

I don't get it.... why can't you? You can do all of those things, except grow weed. I know plenty of people that make their own beer, wine, and liquor. Certainly anyone can grown vegetables - organic or pesticide-laden, keep bees and even make their own honey. I don't understand why you think you can't do any of that. You can even sell it! Of course, you have to get the proper business licenses and all that, that entails.. but there's no one stopping you from doing it.

$$$