Will The Bills Actually Draft A Top Rated Player??

I know all the NFL personnel and successful franchises like the Colts and Patriots who follow the BPA mantra are wrong, and your option of drafting for need is correct.

http://ind.scout.com/2/844895.html

"we always try to draft the best player available" "You might be wrong in the assessment of the player, but as long as you take the best player your odds of success are very much greater than they would be otherwise"

But im sure youre right and he is wrong.

How ironic! You use Bill Polian, the man I admire most for how he built the Buffalo Bills back in the day, to prove me wrong about how stupid the Bills drafts have been the past 10 years without him??

OK, then fine. Buddy Nix was super smart to draft his opinion of the "best player on his board" and grab C.J. Spiller. I am bringing up Buddy Nix because by the way, HE'S THE GM I'M BASHING, NOT FREAKIN' BILL POLIAN! But I digress.

So Buddy fell in love with C.J. and like the Pats and Colts, drafted him despite the fact he already had two NFL caliber starting running backs on his roster. Sure. The Pats and Colts do that every year, right? Um, well no - they don't actually. I've never heard of either team drafting the best running back available on their boards unless they really did have a specific need at running back, like when Polian drafted Edgerrin James after Faulk left, and like when Belicheck drafted Lawrence Maroney when he had no starting RB coming back. Oh yeah, and like when Polian drafted Joseph Adia after James left. Funny thing, Bill "I only draft the best players available" Polian sure does draft guys he needs during a specific draft, doesn't he?

Here's the big difference. Polian is better at it then Buddy Nix was his first season here in Buffalo.

+1

+1 to a moron calling me a "self hating" Bills fan? Wow, great post - you certainly have added something to the discussion here. :doh:

I don't hate myself, and I certainly don't hate the Buffalo Bills. I do however hate the way they've drafted overall for the past 10 years, and I started this thread to point out that maybe we should all be just a tad wary of that pathetic history as we feel so confident in all these great players the Bills have to choose from at the #3 pick.

Nix disapointed me last year drafting C.J. Spiller. Mr. "I'm not the smartest guy in the room" really tried to be smarter then everyone else in the draft with that luxury pick. And it back fired on him big time for the 2010 season. Maybe Spiller will have figured out how to follow NFL blockers this past off season and become the great player Nix envisioned if and when they ever start playing football this season. But if he doesn't, what a stupid way to start his career as the GM of the Bills, as the third different GM to pick a questionable running back with his first pick in the draft since 2003! And every one of those draft picks could have and should have been used for offensive or defensive interior linemen.

So "+1" all you want, if Nix actually drafts one of the top 10 rated players with his #3 pick, I will come back out here and apologize for bringing this subject up. And if he drafts Newton or Gabbert, I will be the happiest Bills fan on this message board. Just don't be "shocked" if he stupidly trades down all the way into the 20's and passes on all of those possible impact players while telling us he's just and ol' country football guy.

How ironic! You use Bill Polian, the man I admire most for how he built the Buffalo Bills back in the day, to prove me wrong about how stupid the Bills drafts have been the past 10 years without him??

OK, then fine. Buddy Nix was super smart to draft his opinion of the "best player on his board" and grab C.J. Spiller. I am bringing up Buddy Nix because by the way, HE'S THE GM I'M BASHING, NOT FREAKIN' BILL POLIAN! But I digress.

So Buddy fell in love with C.J. and like the Pats and Colts, drafted him despite the fact he already had two NFL caliber starting running backs on his roster. Sure. The Pats and Colts do that every year, right? Um, well no - they don't actually. I've never heard of either team drafting the best running back available on their boards unless they really did have a specific need at running back, like when Polian drafted Edgerrin James after Faulk left, and like when Belicheck drafted Lawrence Maroney when he had no starting RB coming back. Oh yeah, and like when Polian drafted Joseph Adia after James left. Funny thing, Bill "I only draft the best players available" Polian sure does draft guys he needs during a specific draft, doesn't he?

Here's the big difference. Polian is better at it then Buddy Nix was his first season here in Buffalo.

Utter incoherence. Spiller was drafted with the intention to trade one RB, thus still having two. Maroney and Addai didnt start their rookie years either. Wasnt a huge need was it. Freddy jackson is gonna be 30 kinda seems like forward thinking just liek the pats had dillon and faulk.

Polian used this method in Buffalo and and Indy and it works. You are bashing Buddy Nix for following a proven method.

He's had one draft. The bills were drafting for need for a long time and it didn't work well. At #3 you are going to have a lot of similarly rated players who will all be pretty close to the BPA. With the amount of BIlls needs it will likely address one of them.

2005: Roscoe Parrish #55 overall. (No 1st round pick). Not a terrible pick for a late 2nd rounder, too bad they didn't take Vincent Jackson taken after Parrish instead though.

Roscoe was an unnecessary "luxury" pick as the Bills had just drafted Evans the year before and still had Moulds.

Beyond Spiller how can you attribute any of this to Nix?

I can't, obviously. But on the other hand, Nix drafted Spiller when I would have wagered anything that he was going to draft the best interior OT or DT on his board at that pick. Of all positions to draft, he took a running back when the Bills already had two good ones worthy of starting for any other NFL teams. He just fell right into the Bills sorry recent history of drafting for "show" or "wow factor" or "luxury" when I really thought old Buddy Nix would just draft for logical need.

What does he have up his sleeve this year? Who knows. If he only trades down later in the top 10, I say awesome, draft one of the top 10 guys and gain an extra pick on top of it. I'll have to wait and see him do at least that much first. In my opinion, after watching NFL football as a fan for over 40 years, he should stay at #3 and draft a great football player. After drafting Spiller last year, I still think he will try something outside the box and end up with his first pick being down in the 20's. Again, I hope I'm way wrong.

I can't, obviously. But on the other hand, Nix drafted Spiller when I would have wagered anything that he was going to draft the best interior OT or DT on his board at that pick. Of all positions to draft, he took a running back when the Bills already had two good ones worthy of starting for any other NFL teams. He just fell right into the Bills sorry recent history of drafting for "show" or "wow factor" or "luxury" when I really thought old Buddy Nix would just draft for logical need.

What does he have up his sleeve this year? Who knows. If he only trades down later in the top 10, I say awesome, draft one of the top 10 guys and gain an extra pick on top of it. I'll have to wait and see him do at least that much first. In my opinion, after watching NFL football as a fan for over 40 years, he should stay at #3 and draft a great football player. After drafting Spiller last year, I still think he will try something outside the box and end up with his first pick being down in the 20's. Again, I hope I'm way wrong.

Interior OT?

Does this pertain to one of those newfangled Buddy Nix/Chan Gailey good ole boy football alignments?

GO BILLS!!!

Utter incoherence. Spiller was drafted with the intention to trade one RB, thus still having two. Maroney and Addai didnt start their rookie years either. Wasnt a huge need was it. Freddy jackson is gonna be 30 kinda seems like forward thinking just liek the pats had dillon and faulk.

Polian used this method in Buffalo and and Indy and it works. You are bashing Buddy Nix for following a proven method.

He's had one draft. The bills were drafting for need for a long time and it didn't work well. At #3 you are going to have a lot of similarly rated players who will all be pretty close to the BPA. With the amount of BIlls needs it will likely address one of them.

Good point.

Incase you hadn't noticed Lynch wanted out of Buffalo and Freddy is on the otherside of 30. So the "luxury pick" isn't as luxurious as a certain Buffalo sports writer (not what I'd journalist) will let you believe.

Furthermore there is maybe 1 impact RB in the 2011 draft. This would be a horrible year to have to draft a RB and there are tons of question marks around Mark Ingram's ability to produce in the NFL.

So maybe Buddy Nix wasn't so silly for taking the best available player on everyone's board at the top of Buffalo's pick.

(Although still was silly for making it so fast as it's pretty clear that San Diego might have traded up.)

Edited by Why So Serious?

You are right. Addai didn't start one single game his rookie year of 2006. Darn it, you really got me there. Polian obviously wasted that pick because he didn't need the kid at all, right? I mean, rushing for 1,081 yards for a 4.8 YPC average and scoring 7 TD's despite not starting any games his rookie season were stats that the Colts certainly didn't need, right Mr. Wizard? :w00t::doh:

Answer one question for me will you? Did C.J. even rush for 7 freakin' first downs last year during his rookie season??? :wallbash:

Edited by BillsPhan

+1 to a moron calling me a "self hating" Bills fan? Wow, great post - you certainly have added something to the discussion here. :doh:

I don't hate myself, and I certainly don't hate the Buffalo Bills. I do however hate the way they've drafted overall for the past 10 years, and I started this thread to point out that maybe we should all be just a tad wary of that pathetic history as we feel so confident in all these great players the Bills have to choose from at the #3 pick.

Nix disapointed me last year drafting C.J. Spiller. Mr. "I'm not the smartest guy in the room" really tried to be smarter then everyone else in the draft with that luxury pick. And it back fired on him big time for the 2010 season. Maybe Spiller will have figured out how to follow NFL blockers this past off season and become the great player Nix envisioned if and when they ever start playing football this season. But if he doesn't, what a stupid way to start his career as the GM of the Bills, as the third different GM to pick a questionable running back with his first pick in the draft since 2003! And every one of those draft picks could have and should have been used for offensive or defensive interior linemen.

So "+1" all you want, if Nix actually drafts one of the top 10 rated players with his #3 pick, I will come back out here and apologize for bringing this subject up. And if he drafts Newton or Gabbert, I will be the happiest Bills fan on this message board. Just don't be "shocked" if he stupidly trades down all the way into the 20's and passes on all of those possible impact players while telling us he's just and ol' country football guy.

Maybe i'm waaaaaay off base here, but didn't Bill Polian just draft joseph Addai in round 1 in 2006, followed by Donald Brown in round 1 in 2009? Both of whom are still on the team? But he'd never spend 1, let alone 2 picks on 1st round RBs, right?

Beyond Spiller how can you attribute any of this to Nix?

EXACTLY - And Spiller wasn't a reach - he was the polar opposite of a reach - the BPA but not a need.

Somehow though the OP has twisted that into an argument that Nix will this year reach for the "wrong" need player, but there is, in fact, no evidence at all to support the argument.