Forget About a QB this draft and STACK the D

Seriously? :huh:

Aikman, Young, Favre, Elway, Big Ben, Rodgers, Brees, and Warner would all be considered Premier QB's who Won SB's...Mark Rypien had a hell of a good year when the Redskins Won in 92...The vast majority of Super Bowls Champs have been led by Premier QB talent going back 25 years...

Now I understand all of those QB's were not Top 5 Picks...But the argument that a dominant Defense (and we all know the Bills are LIGHT YEARS away from being a dominant Defense) is equal to a Premier QB in this day-and-age of the NFL is laughable...It's simply not even close...Listen to the real experts...Guys like Mike Mayock...It's a QB's league, and anyone who is in the know understands that...

The Bills better get a Premier QB sometime soon...Maybe it will be with the #3 Pick, maybe not...But one thing I do know...They are going to have to pass on either Gabbert or Newton if they go D at #3 overall...Maybe both...And God forbid if one of those Kids ends up being a Premier QB in the NFL and we are still having this discussion in 2012 or 2013...That would be sickening... B-)

I think you misunderstood my post. I was not indicating that the rest were ALL average joes or bums. But there definitely are a lot.

Aikman: Average at best but very accurate. Micheal Irvin was allowed to push off for about 10 years, they had a stout defense and the best rusher in the league in Emmit Smith

Young: A freak who could scramble, played with Jerry Rice, TO and great coaching.

Farve: Great arm and QB but needed special teams to help win that game for him.

Elway: Legendary and AWESOME QB who didn't do a thing until he got the best rushing game in the league with Terrel Davis

Big Ben: Tough as nails scrambler but not setting the world on fire with his stats. Awesome runner in Jerome Bettis and arguably the best Defenses in the last 10 years.

Rodgers: Really stepped up and played his ass off. Might be early but a truly Elite QB. Let's not forget the #1 or #2 defense in the league.

Warner: For a time just amazing. We don't need no stinking defense.

Rypien: Didn't their defense do a number on us? Not at all a guy I consider the slightest bit elite.

So anyway. I almost agree that a dominant defense is not as good or better than a "Premiere" QB this day and age. I wasn't trying to make that point at all but I have seen Brady and Manning beaten by dominant defenses in the superbowl and conference finals. Food for thought friend.

The point I believe I expressly stated was that it is easier to stock up a dominant defense than it is to land an elite QBs. The only reason for this is that franchises commit so much time and resources to the darling QBs they draft that it usually sets the franchise back 3 years or more. As I pointed out, most of the guys up there were good QBs some great or elite but most all had something else going for them like the best rusher in the league, a dominant defense, exceptional WR(s) etc.

Do you suggest that we keep drafting a 1st round QB every 3 or 4 years until we finally hit and get a premiere QB? (See, that was a question. I didn't put words in your mouth). If so we might be dead before we get lucky OR maybe Newton or Gabbert is that guy. It is difficult to predict and outcome both positive and negative is by far greater than any other position. Defensive players drafted that high can be yanked on an off the field and nobody bat's an eye compared to a QB drafted that high. For some reason with QB it's damn the "torpedoes full speed ahead". This is our savior. This is our franchise. Then 5 years later and Trent Edwards released we have to take yet another high risk gamble? (Yes I know Trent was a 3rd round pick just throwing in another Edwards shot.)

As I said I wouldn't be pissed if we took a QB at #3 which you seemed to ignore but I think going the defensive route first is easier and incurs much less risk. Fitz was pretty good last year and he was 8th in TDs per game. He didn't have the benefit of being the starter going into last year and having the offense tailored to him but he still did a damn good job. I know we have a great pick this year but if Luck came out would anybody be excited at getting Newton or Gabbert at #3?????

Next year is the year to get the QB I think. Finish off building a defense that could be good for the next 5 years first.

Edited by PDaDdy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good defense forces more 3-and-outs. That means less chances for the opponent to score and more chances for your offense to score. While it doesn't guarantee that outcome, it sure improves the odds. Go back and look at the 2010 season and imagine what even a middling defense would have meant to the Bills record.

To me, the key to improving the Bills offensively is to improve the defense.

A good defense forces more 3-and-outs. That means less chances for the opponent to score and more chances for your offense to score. While it doesn't guarantee that outcome, it sure improves the odds. Go back and look at the 2010 season and imagine what even a middling defense would have meant to the Bills record.

To me, the key to improving the Bills offensively is to improve the defense.

Remove a few special teams gaffs and we look even better than that.

I am not going to lose sleep if we get a QB but by far our biggest problems on the CURRENT team are on defense. The desire to take a shot at getting a potential franchise QB if you don't have one are based on theory and philosophy. One I actually somewhat agree with.

The reality is the offense will get better by virtue of experience gained by our young WRs and RB, 2nd year in a new offensive system and the o-line continuing to gel. Hopefully the o-line will be bolstered with some real starting caliber tackles obtained through free agency or development. The biggest improvement on offense quite possibly could be optimizing our offense and working with Fitz as the starter day 1. I don't have time to look up the stats but Fitz probably put up the most TDs in a single season since Kelly and he did it in 13 games after coming off the bench! This is the best guy we have had in 15 years and we already ready to find his replacement.

Not saying we don't need a replacement for him to develop but it is NOT our biggest problem. For some reason picking a QB at #3 is not considered a luxury pick. We had Jackson and got Spiller and everybody bitched and moaned because we had a capable if not elite starter. Why doesn't that same philosophy apply at QB?

I think you misunderstood my post. I was not indicating that the rest were ALL average joes or bums. But there definitely are a lot.

Aikman: Average at best but very accurate. Micheal Irvin was allowed to push off for about 10 years, they had a stout defense and the best rusher in the league in Emmit Smith

Young: A freak who could scramble, played with Jerry Rice, TO and great coaching.

Farve: Great arm and QB but needed special teams to help win that game for him.

Elway: Legendary and AWESOME QB who didn't do a thing until he got the best rushing game in the league with Terrel Davis

Big Ben: Tough as nails scrambler but not setting the world on fire with his stats. Awesome runner in Jerome Bettis and arguably the best Defenses in the last 10 years.

Rodgers: Really stepped up and played his ass off. Might be early but a truly Elite QB. Let's not forget the #1 or #2 defense in the league.

Warner: For a time just amazing. We don't need no stinking defense.

Rypien: Didn't their defense do a number on us? Not at all a guy I consider the slightest bit elite.

So anyway. I almost agree that a dominant defense is not as good or better than a "Premiere" QB this day and age. I wasn't trying to make that point at all but I have seen Brady and Manning beaten by dominant defenses in the superbowl and conference finals. Food for thought friend.

The point I believe I expressly stated was that it is easier to stock up a dominant defense than it is to land an elite QBs. The only reason for this is that franchises commit so much time and resources to the darling QBs they draft that it usually sets the franchise back 3 years or more. As I pointed out, most of the guys up there were good QBs some great or elite but most all had something else going for them like the best rusher in the league, a dominant defense, exceptional WR(s) etc.

Do you suggest that we keep drafting a 1st round QB every 3 or 4 years until we finally hit and get a premiere QB? (See, that was a question. I didn't put words in your mouth). If so we might be dead before we get lucky OR maybe Newton or Gabbert is that guy. It is difficult to predict and outcome both positive and negative is by far greater than any other position. Defensive players drafted that high can be yanked on an off the field and nobody bat's an eye compared to a QB drafted that high. For some reason with QB it's damn the "torpedoes full speed ahead". This is our savior. This is our franchise. Then 5 years later and Trent Edwards released we have to take yet another high risk gamble? (Yes I know Trent was a 3rd round pick just throwing in another Edwards shot.)

As I said I wouldn't be pissed if we took a QB at #3 which you seemed to ignore but I think going the defensive route first is easier and incurs much less risk. Fitz was pretty good last year and he was 8th in TDs per game. He didn't have the benefit of being the starter going into last year and having the offense tailored to him but he still did a damn good job. I know we have a great pick this year but if Luck came out would anybody be excited at getting Newton or Gabbert at #3?????

Next year is the year to get the QB I think. Finish off building a defense that could be good for the next 5 years first.

There are so many things wrong in this post that I am not even going to address them...it would take too much time and fall on deaf ears anyway.

Imo, it's a defense heavy draft! We just need to simply take advantage of it. If we don't take a QB at #3, then we don't take one at all. If we take VM at #3, then go dline with 34 and vice versa. Seriously the draft is filled with so much d talent. I hope the fo makes this draft count. Even if we have to trade down a few picks. Just make it count!!!

Remove a few special teams gaffs and we look even better than that.

I am not going to lose sleep if we get a QB but by far our biggest problems on the CURRENT team are on defense. The desire to take a shot at getting a potential franchise QB if you don't have one are based on theory and philosophy. One I actually somewhat agree with.

The reality is the offense will get better by virtue of experience gained by our young WRs and RB, 2nd year in a new offensive system and the o-line continuing to gel. Hopefully the o-line will be bolstered with some real starting caliber tackles obtained through free agency or development. The biggest improvement on offense quite possibly could be optimizing our offense and working with Fitz as the starter day 1. I don't have time to look up the stats but Fitz probably put up the most TDs in a single season since Kelly and he did it in 13 games after coming off the bench! This is the best guy we have had in 15 years and we already ready to find his replacement.

Not saying we don't need a replacement for him to develop but it is NOT our biggest problem. For some reason picking a QB at #3 is not considered a luxury pick. We had Jackson and got Spiller and everybody bitched and moaned because we had a capable if not elite starter. Why doesn't that same philosophy apply at QB?

Excellent, and I couldn't agree more. The Bills offense is in no danger of becoming The Greatest Show on Turf. But it is "good enough" for now. And maybe even a little bit better than that if what you imagine comes to pass: another year in the system, Spiller "getting it," the line settling in, and so on. Maybe that doesn't happen, but it's at least plausible. On the other hand, no one can imagine the Bills defense we saw last season suddenly becoming "good enough." Which is why, if Dareus is there at #3, and the Bills take Cam Newton, I think I will power drive my head through the nearest wall.

Seriously? :huh:

Aikman, Young, Favre, Elway, Big Ben, Rodgers, Brees, and Warner would all be considered Premier QB's who Won SB's...Mark Rypien had a hell of a good year when the Redskins Won in 92...The vast majority of Super Bowls Champs have been led by Premier QB talent going back 25 years...

Now I understand all of those QB's were not Top 5 Picks...But the argument that a dominant Defense (and we all know the Bills are LIGHT YEARS away from being a dominant Defense) is equal to a Premier QB in this day-and-age of the NFL is laughable...It's simply not even close...Listen to the real experts...Guys like Mike Mayock...It's a QB's league, and anyone who is in the know understands that...

The Bills better get a Premier QB sometime soon...Maybe it will be with the #3 Pick, maybe not...But one thing I do know...They are going to have to pass on either Gabbert or Newton if they go D at #3 overall...Maybe both...And God forbid if one of those Kids ends up being a Premier QB in the NFL and we are still having this discussion in 2012 or 2013...That would be sickening... B-)

Aikman: Cowlboys had one of top ranked Ds in league

Young: Didn't get to and win SB until they revamped Defense and it became a top ranked D in the league

Elway: 0-3 in SBs until the Defense became...anyone?...a top ranked unit in the league.

Brees: Got to the SB when Greg Williams came in and built one of the top ranked defenses in the league.

Rodgers: GB had one of the top ranked Ds in the league this year.

Warner: one of the very few examples of a QB who won a SB with an average to below average D...but then they lost in their 2nd SB against a team that had a hall of fame D coordinator

BigBen: Steelers one of best defenses in the league

Peyton Manning: Didn't make SB until Tony Dungy improved defense

Jim Kelly: (as much as it hurts) Came close in first SB when Bills had strongest D of their four teams...lost to a team with better D

Dan Marino: No D, no SB

Dan Fouts: No D, no SB

Drew Bledsoe: No D, no SB

Philip Rivers: no idea what's wrong here

Obviously a strong QB results in wins, but I still feel the D is the more important factor. I'd rather have a great defense + Fitzy than a crap defense with Peyton Manning.

It seems to me there are more examples of teams with avg QBs and strong defenses winning SBs than there are teams with great QBs and crap defenses.

Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostettler, Trent Dilfer, Jim McMahon (sorry, he wasn't that great)

Edited by ajzepp

This year's draft is much deeper in defensive talent than in quarterbacks. Defense (our front 7) is a huge weakness for the Bills, not quarterbacking. So I say go where the deep talent is, tap into it and upgrade immediately our big need area in the first 3 rounds. With a more stout D, it'll make our offense better. More 3-and-outs for our opponants, shorter field for our offense, and so on. A better defense will keep our offense in games longer, increasing our opportunities to win. A stouter defense against the run reduces the chances of other teams in controlling the clock agains us. That, with an addition of a pass rusher for us gives our D a more balanced attack, and probably interceptions will increase ( referring to Schoeble's last year w/ us, 09). Improving our D w/ intelligent drafting this year will make our team better, quicker.

In the 2012 draft, go hard after our "franchise QB". I hear its shaping up to be a good year for future blue chip QB's. Luck being one of them.

At any rate, that's my take on it.

If anyone thinks that Gailey/Nix is going to pass on Gabbert/Newton when their turn comes up they are going to be very disappointed. This is a very rich defensive draft class. That will afford the Bills a number of opportunities to take good defensive players in the following rounds.

I've said it before and I will say it again the owner wants a qb taken with the first pick. Even at his advanced age this stubborn owner has his hands on the control. I consider Ralph to be an incompetent football person. In this case he is absolutely right. Not taking a franchise qb when in position to do so is a decision that will haunt this comical franchise for another decade or so. It's bad enough that this odd organization can't get a functional TE for a generation, but not having a legitimate franchise qb for the same length of period is an outright derelection of duty.

Bill Parcells bypassed Matt Ryan for a future all-pro LT in Jake Long. Does anyone doubt that if he and the Miami organization had to do it over again they wouldn't take Ryan instead?

The below Don Banks's SI article link indicates that Gailey and the organization are very serious about taking one of the two highly rated qbs. This loony organization is not very good at holding their cards close to the vest. For the defensive first stalwarts on this board----you are going to be irritated come draft day when Nix again quickly transmits his selection. And I will be ecstatic.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/03/22/owners-meetings/index.html?eref=sihp

Edited by JohnC

That has been proven wrong so many times, its not even funny.

In any given season, a team can win big with a dominant defense and a so-so offense. (Ravens)

The reverse is also true. A team can win with a dominant Offense and a so-so defense. (Rams)

But to win consistently, the best way is to have a premier QB (Brady, Manning, Montana) along with a good O-line, running game and a strong defense.

We don't have any of those things right now.

The Rams had the #6 defense in the league that year, hardly "so-so".

Young: Didn't get to and win SB until they revamped Defense and it became a top ranked D in the league

Elway: 0-3 in SBs until the Defense became...anyone?...a top ranked unit in the league.

Brees: Got to the SB when Greg Williams came in and built one of the top ranked defenses in the league.

Warner: one of the very few examples of a QB who won a SB with an average to below average D...but then they lost in their 2nd SB against a team that had a hall of fame D coordinator

Jim Kelly: (as much as it hurts) Came close in first SB when Bills had strongest D of their four teams...lost to a team with better D

Obviously a strong QB results in wins, but I still feel the D is the more important factor. I'd rather have a great defense + Fitzy than a crap defense with Peyton Manning.

It seems to me there are more examples of teams with avg QBs and strong defenses winning SBs than there are teams with great QBs and crap defenses.

Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostettler, Trent Dilfer, Jim McMahon (sorry, he wasn't that great)

I've stated this many, many times, but people are ignorant to this fact. Build the D and the wins will come.

Do I believe we'll go QB in the 1st...? Unfortunately, I think because the D is fairly deep in the draft, we will "reach" for Newton.

This year's draft is much deeper in defensive talent than in quarterbacks. Defense (our front 7) is a huge weakness for the Bills, not quarterbacking. So I say go where the deep talent is, tap into it and upgrade immediately our big need area in the first 3 rounds. With a more stout D, it'll make our offense better. More 3-and-outs for our opponants, shorter field for our offense, and so on. A better defense will keep our offense in games longer, increasing our opportunities to win. A stouter defense against the run reduces the chances of other teams in controlling the clock agains us. That, with an addition of a pass rusher for us gives our D a more balanced attack, and probably interceptions will increase ( referring to Schoeble's last year w/ us, 09). Improving our D w/ intelligent drafting this year will make our team better, quicker. In the 2012 draft, go hard after our "franchise QB". I hear its shaping up to be a good year for future blue chip QB's. Luck being one of them.

At any rate, that's my take on it.

Thank you.....

If anyone thinks that Gailey/Nix is going to pass on Gabbert/Newton when their turn comes up they are going to be very disappointed. This is a very rich defensive draft class. That will afford the Bills a number of opportunities to take good defensive players in the following rounds.

Wow you and I have way different philosophies. I say the draft is deep in D so get the best of the best at 3. The draft is week at QB so take a chance on someone late if at all. An average QB drafted early is still an average QB.

Lets be honest. With that D it would have been hard to make .500 with Brady or Manning. Fitz obviously is not the future, but if there is not a Franchise QB available why panic? The only problem with making the D better fast is that we'll pick up a couple more wins next year and have little chance of finding that Franchise guy we truly need. This is kind of a catch 22. Biggest problem is that if we miss huge with the 3 overall pick on a Q.B we could literally regress 3 years.

The only problem with your theory is a team, regardless of what around him, is not to go succeed without a good quarterback. It is like buying a sweet body of a vintage Ford Mustang but putting a Kia Spectra engine in it, it looks good but won't win any races.

Wow you and I have way different philosophies. I say the draft is deep in D so get the best of the best at 3. The draft is week at QB so take a chance on someone late if at all. An average QB drafted early is still an average QB.

If Nix/Gailey rate Gabbert/Newton at a very high level then why wouldn't they draft for a franchise qb? If they don't believe that these two qb prospects are going to be good they won't take either one of them with their high first pick.

Why do you think the two highest rated qbs in this draft are not going to be good? There is a lot of rumors swirling around that a number of teams are interested in these two talented players. A number of analysts have noted that Carolina is seriously considering both of these qbs with the first pick in the draft. Even if they don't take a qb they are seriously considering it. What does that tell you about how other teams have these prospects rated?

The Bills are not going to be good next year. To put it very mildly the Bills' roster is very thin. Anyone who has a nickel's worth of objectivity knows that the Bills are not going to be a serious playoff contender. If that is the case then getting a franchise qb talent on the roster sooner to develop makes a lot of sense.

The Rams had the #6 defense in the league that year, hardly "so-so".

I've stated this many, many times, but people are ignorant to this fact. Build the D and the wins will come.

Do I believe we'll go QB in the 1st...? Unfortunately, I think because the D is fairly deep in the draft, we will "reach" for Newton.

Thank you.....

Their defense was a little better than so so...ranked 6th is good, but almost half their games were vs 49ers, cards and Seahawks. Hardly good offenses. I don't know their out of conference schedule off hand, but I bet they had some other patty cake offenses in there

It hit me last night like a freight train.

If the Bills like Cam Newton's upside, and he's there at 3, they take him. Without hesitation. In fact, they may even break the draft land speed record they set last year when they took Spiller at 9.

And after watching Newton, he's got huge intangible's...and it's more than just looking good on camera. He's got swagger. Charisma. The "it" factor. And if Chan can turn Kordell Stewart into something that doesn't suck, imagine what he can do with Newton. Let him sit a year behind Fitzpatrick and groom him into something special. Hell, even Tebow who isn't as impressive as Newton looked good at the end of the year last year. And I think Cam Newton has WAY more upside than Tebow.

Plus, a good DL can still be had in the 2nd round. Heyward may even fall that far. Someone will.

Those are my $.02. And I'm a guy that has been touting Dareus since about November.

If Nix/Gailey rate Gabbert/Newton at a very high level then why wouldn't they draft for a franchise qb? If they don't believe that these two qb prospects are going to be good they won't take either one of them with their high first pick.

Why do you think the two highest rated qbs in this draft are not going to be good? There is a lot of rumors swirling around that a number of teams are interested in these two talented players. A number of analysts have noted that Carolina is seriously considering both of these qbs with the first pick in the draft. Even if they don't take a qb they are seriously considering it. What does that tell you about how other teams have these prospects rated?

The Bills are not going to be good next year. To put it very mildly the Bills' roster is very thin. Anyone who has a nickel's worth of objectivity knows that the Bills are not going to be a serious playoff contender. If that is the case then getting a franchise qb talent on the roster sooner to develop makes a lot of sense.

I think you missed my point. I would rather have the best of a deep draft, meaning I'm probably going to get an excellent player, rather than take the best of a thin draft position. The odds are more in my favor that way.

I do make no bones about the fact that I feel the QB class this year is very lacking. One may surprise me, but I won't be surprised if it's a QB that is not taken in the first round.

There are so many things wrong in this post that I am not even going to address them...it would take too much time and fall on deaf ears anyway.

Riiiight. Thanks for the post. Your comments were insightful and you made some great substantiated points.

Look out alpha dog will summarily dismiss all your points without addressing or refuting anything directly. LOL

The only problem with your theory is a team, regardless of what around him, is not to go succeed without a good quarterback. It is like buying a sweet body of a vintage Ford Mustang but putting a Kia Spectra engine in it, it looks good but won't win any races.

If your brakes and chassis can't stop the car and protect the driver you aren't going to win many races either ;)

Here's the thing guys, there's no one way to win in the NFL, and I think too many people want to pigeon hole their argument down to either (a) "you can't win without a franchise QB" or (b) "defense wins championships". Which is the truth? Actually, both...and neither.

Look at the Superbowl winners going back to 1999 (why 1999? I don't know, it was as far as I was willing to go...call me lazy if you want to):

Year------Team------Def Rank------NFL Rank in QB Rating

1999------St.L--------6-------------------1

2000------Bal---------2-------------------20

2001------NE----------24------------------5

2002------TB----------1-------------------15

2003------NE----------7-------------------10

2004------NE----------9-------------------8

2005------Pit---------4-------------------7

2006------Ind---------21------------------1

2007------NYG---------7-------------------24

2008------Pit---------1-------------------17

2009------NO----------25------------------2

2010------GB----------5-------------------3

It works both ways. Personally, if I'm picking in the top 5, I know I'm probably picking there because I don't have a franchise QB, so if I feel that there's a potential star at that position, I'm taking him without hesitation. That would especially be true for this year, as the defensive talent--specifically along the line--is very deep; there's the potential to land a starting 5-tech at the No. 34 pick with a player like Muhammad Wilkerson, Jurrell Casey, Corey Liuget, Cameron Heyward, or Steven Paea.

That said, if the teams isn't sold on a QB, there's no point in taking a player at No. 3 overall just for the sake of drafting a QB. I'd rather them pick a player they feel strongly about, regardless of position. I'm not going to complain if they pick a CB or a WR and he ends up a pro-bowler.