I Know Mularkey, Clements, & Silent Sam

Alaska Darin

One has to be intrigued by the possibilities Jeff Fisher opened up with that ridiculous sideways snap from that crazy formation that netted them a first down on fourth and short.

I didn't even realize snapping the ball that way was legal. VERY innovative.

Fisher is a good coach with some crappy luck injury wise.

One has to be intrigued by the possibilities Jeff Fisher opened up with that ridiculous sideways snap from that crazy formation that netted them a first down on fourth and short.

I didn't even realize snapping the ball that way was legal.  VERY innovative.

160463[/snapback]

That was a very innovative play. I can imagine our guys POed because they didn't think of it first. Fisher is a very good coach, and no fear. Didn't he try 3-4 on sides kicks week before last? He knew his team was outgunned and they did everything they could to win the game. Same thing last night.

I didn't even realize snapping the ball that way was legal.  VERY innovative.

160463[/snapback]

I don't think Mcnair has ever played an entire season.

I wasn't paying much attention to the track me....errrr football game, but didn't they just line up in the old swinging gate and run a play from it?

And as far as I know the Center can snap however and to whoever he wants as long as it's behind lateral and he's set. Although I think there is some wierd rule about switching hands with the ball.

Cya

I wasn't paying much attention to the track me....errrr football game, but didn't they just line up in the old swinging gate and run a play from it?

And as far as I know the Center can snap however and to whoever he wants as long as it's behind lateral and he's set. Although I think there is some wierd rule about switching hands with the ball.

Cya

160607[/snapback]

It was kind of like that except they had two guys on the ball, I think one WR to the opposite side, and the punter lined up directly behind (shotgun depth or so). The Center then rifled the snap across his body (not between his legs) to the RB who had blockers in front of him. *

It was pretty sweet. Looked like backyard FB.

*I was pretty deep into a sixer of Sam Adams Light too, so the formation may have been slightly different.

It was kind of like that except they had two guys on the ball, I think one WR to the opposite side, and the punter lined up directly behind (shotgun depth or so).  The Center then rifled the snap across his body (not between his legs) to the RB who had blockers in front of him. *

It was pretty sweet.  Looked like backyard FB.

*I was pretty deep into a sixer of Sam Adams Light too, so the formation may have been slightly different.

160610[/snapback]

But the back was all the way to the center's right. He actually lifted the ball, but he flicked it pretty quickly and it was a perfect snap...I mean perfect. You'd have to change the formation if you're going to copy it. I'd be curious if Dorenbos could pull that out of his bag of tricks.

Cya

160607[/snapback]

You are correct regarding the snap from center.

I did a quick scan of the rules, and did not see anything about switching hands.

You are correct regarding the snap from center.

I did a quick scan of the rules, and did not see anything about switching hands.

160631[/snapback]

I have heard, and sometimes seen called, that switching hands is considered a false start.

But then, I've also seen a catch out of bounds a yard short of the marker called a first down, a botched coin toss, and a player down at the 2 ruled a touchdown because his helmet crossed the plane...so "seen it called" doesn't mean a hell of a lot, does it? :P

I have heard, and sometimes seen called, that switching hands is considered a false start.

But then, I've also seen a catch out of bounds a yard short of the marker called a first down, a botched coin toss, and a player down at the 2 ruled a touchdown because his helmet crossed the plane...so "seen it called" doesn't mean a hell of a lot, does it?  :P

160635[/snapback]

I bet you never saw pass interference called on a Hail Mary. :P

I bet you never saw defensive holding called on a field goal attempt. :)

I bet you never saw a Hall of Fame player be judged to be in "control of the puck before it leaves the crease" even though he had to look around for it before shooting it into the net to win the Stanley cup while out of shape 50 year olds in my beer league can kick it to their stick and shoot it without looking. ;)

I bet you never saw back to back inside the park home runs in a major league game (I did, in person).

It was kind of like that except they had two guys on the ball, I think one WR to the opposite side,

Openly admitting the fact I'm no offensive/ST guru, I thought the swinging gate was supposed to have a couple guys on the ball and a flanker set to the weak side so that it would be legal in having the end covered. Not only may I be wrong, but I probably am.

Bahhh, them offensive players are a bunch of useless no-good pricks anyways..... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

He actually lifted the ball, but he flicked it pretty quickly and it was a perfect snap

Now that you mention it, I also think there is a rule mandating continous motion on the snap. So as long as he was consistent with the hand, maintained continuous motion and sent it backwards to anybody not wearing #50-79, then it was perfectly legal.....I guess? :)

Cya

But then, I've also seen a catch out of bounds a yard short of the marker called a first down, a botched coin toss, and a player down at the 2 ruled a touchdown because his helmet crossed the plane...so "seen it called" doesn't mean a hell of a lot, does it?  :)

160635[/snapback]

If the switch causes the defense to enter the neutral zone, then the center will probably be flagged. It can be equated to the center moving the ball, simulating a snap in order to draw the defense into the neutral zone. Similarly, the QB can be flagged if his body movements cause the defense to cross the line of scrimmage. It is rarely called (in the case of the QB), but I have seen it happen.

All I am saying, is that there is nothing specified in the rules (from my quick scan of them last night). The center could probably use both hands on the ball while in formation, then just use the necessary hand when snapping the ball. He could easily switch hands and fake out the defense.

This play - r one very similar was run against my team when I was a junior playing our annual 'Coaches game'. Basically, our coaches suited up against us and we all go hell for leather for a game of football. Probably totally unethical, against the law now, etc etc but it was the most fun game of football I ever played.

Anyway. The coaches called a play that they lined up something like this (forgive the crude formation chart)

TE T G G T WR1 C*

WR2 RB1 QB

RB2

Center snapped the ball laterally to RB1 who then runs behind the wedge until he feels like he might be slowing. RB2 trails at the back, drifting left. RB1 turned and pitched the ball back to RB2 who took it in for a score.

We were in disarray. We lined up all over the place on D. Nobody thought to just stand halfway between C and WR1 and intercept the snap for a quick run back TD :)