Sabres : Rick Martin has died

ESPN: Autopsy report

You would think he would have been on a BP meds and a statin? Maybe he was? I have had high blood pressure since highschool, even when I was 150 pounds 6-2. Chlorest is not bad, but because of the risk... I have been on a statin for some time (about 12 or so years). I suppose the earlier to get on it the better. Through the 23 years the doc hasn't had to titrate the BP meds at all in those years... I have only changed because of price or coverage.

I wonder if he was on any meds?

Arguably…probably.

Paul Cyr had a howitzer and John Van Boxmeer could blast it too. Perreault of course…saw the late Brian "Spinner" Spencer in that first video. Those were some great teams.

and good Lord, Spencer appears to be cross-checked face first into the goal post. Among the toughest people on the planet, the hockey player.

ESPN: Autopsy report

You would think he would have been on a BP meds and a statin? Maybe he was? I have had high blood pressure since highschool, even when I was 150 pounds 6-2. Chlorest is not bad, but because of the risk... I have been on a statin for some time (about 12 or so years). I suppose the earlier to get on it the better. Through the 23 years the doc hasn't had to titrate the BP meds at all in those years... I have only changed because of price or coverage.

I wonder if he was on any meds?

he had heart disease/arteriosclerosis

that may have been unknown---beyond just a BP/cholesterol issue.with his knee surgeries etc he woulda been

pretty closely monitored for his BP. statins are still a bit controversial--not re: their benefit in certain situations---but in their benefit for the wide range of people with high triglycerides without a significant # of other inclusive factors.

Edited by Tcali

and good Lord, Spencer appears to be cross-checked face first into the goal post. Among the toughest people on the planet, the hockey player.

Spencer had a very troubled life that included a murder trial and after being acquited being killed in a drug deal. Rick Martin testified as a character witness for Spencer at the trial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Spencer

Spencer had a very troubled life that included a murder trial and after being acquited being killed in a drug deal. Rick Martin testified as a character witness for Spencer at the trial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Spencer

yeah, i read that after seeing another post that he had died. i've really been out of touch with hockey since the early 80's. his tory was pretty sad indeed, given what happened with his father and everything else. tough way to go. RM on the other hand, seemed like a stand up guy. he was fun to watch---

yeah, i read that after seeing another post that he had died. i've really been out of touch with hockey since the early 80's. his tory was pretty sad indeed, given what happened with his father and everything else. tough way to go. RM on the other hand, seemed like a stand up guy. he was fun to watch---

The story about his father is one of the most bizarre and self-destructive things I've ever heard. After knowing that, I wasn't that shocked when Spinner met a similar demise.

BTW, Spinner gave the speech at my school's sports night one year. The thing I remember most was that he talked about how hard you have to work and how hard he has to work - he said if I had half the talent of Rene Robert, I'd be the greatest player in the world.....In the world of tweeting, that would have made the rounds in an hour. The way it came out was he basically calling Robert a slacker.

The story about his father is one of the most bizarre and self-destructive things I've ever heard. After knowing that, I wasn't that shocked when Spinner met a similar demise.

BTW, Spinner gave the speech at my school's sports night one year. The thing I remember most was that he talked about how hard you have to work and how hard he has to work - he said if I had half the talent of Rene Robert, I'd be the greatest player in the world.....In the world of tweeting, that would have made the rounds in an hour. The way it came out was he basically calling Robert a slacker.

i'd suppose it makes sense a guy like that would have an edge to him at times.

he had heart disease/arteriosclerosis

that may have been unknown---beyond just a BP/cholesterol issue.with his knee surgeries etc he woulda been

pretty closely monitored for his BP. statins are still a bit controversial--not re: their benefit in certain situations---but in their benefit for the wide range of people with high triglycerides without a significant # of other inclusive factors.

I hear you... My numbers have always been out of sync when it comes to good and bad... My overall is not bad... But my good Chlorest should be higher. This crap scare me... I don't want to be flyin' down the road doing 98 and have a heart attack... If it is gonna happen, at least I want nobody else innvolved. This is a sad story, yet, nobody else was hurt by his vehicle! Even his dog walked away... If he could only talk!!!

With Martin and the Sabres... Wasn't there a big spat with the Sabres org in regard to his injury... I don't think they were on good terms for a long time??

That was Spinner on the Pens right? What year did the Sabres trade/release him?

I hear you... My numbers have always been out of sync when it comes to good and bad... My overall is not bad... But my good Chlorest should be higher. This crap scare me... I don't want to be flyin' down the road doing 98 and have a heart attack... If it is gonna happen, at least I want nobody else innvolved. This is a sad story, yet, nobody else was hurt by his vehicle! Even his dog walked away... If he could only talk!!!

With Martin and the Sabres... Wasn't there a big spat with the Sabres org in regard to his injury... I don't think they were on good terms for a long time??

That was Spinner on the Pens right? What year did the Sabres trade/release him?

Yes, Martin was very angry with the Sabres, as I recall, for many years. He claimed that their medical staff misdiagnosed a knee injury, which ended up ending his career at a mere 31. I am not sure when they patched things up. As I recall, Martin, like most vetrans, were not happy with the way they were treated by Scotty Bowman.

I didn't realize, until last nights post-game show, that Martin was actually an assistant coach on Lindy's staff (a shooting coach), back in 2000, for one year. Not sure how I didn't know that. Living in Texas, I missed most of the 1990's Sabres, only saw a handful of regualar season games each year, when they were on ESPN2, and the playoffs.

Yes, Martin was very angry with the Sabres, as I recall, for many years. He claimed that their medical staff misdiagnosed a knee injury, which ended up ending his career at a mere 31. I am not sure when they patched things up. As I recall, Martin, like most vetrans, were not happy with the way they were treated by Scotty Bowman.

I didn't realize, until last nights post-game show, that Martin was actually an assistant coach on Lindy's staff (a shooting coach), back in 2000, for one year. Not sure how I didn't know that. Living in Texas, I missed most of the 1990's Sabres, only saw a handful of regualar season games each year, when they were on ESPN2, and the playoffs.

Thanks Buf... A bit of a tangent and Lindy Ruff... Think how far back he goes with the Sabres... 1979... That is 9 short years from when they were founded. We have quite a foundation in BFLO hockey with the Sabres that continues to live on today!

Happy Days in Buffalo...

1976, bi-centenial, OJ coming off another terrific season, Bob McAdoo NBA MVP, Sabres coming off a Finals appearance, to beat the hated Russians...French Connection is rocking, the Aud is not that far from being a "state of the art facility"

Two very fond memories I have of that time period would be some sort of weekend sports wrap-up show and how good it felt when all three teams had won all their games that weekend

The other one is probably a year or two earlier. There used to be this great local Buffalo sports magazine called Buffalo Fan, I believe. I know I still have copies somewhere. So, one of the covers has a drawing of Lou Saban, Punch Imlach and Eddie Donovan playing poker. It was so true that at the time we had three great talent evaluators playing all their cards right and building great teams. Such good times. I thought for sure championships were just around the corner.

Two very fond memories I have of that time period would be some sort of weekend sports wrap-up show and how good it felt when all three teams had won all their games that weekend

The other one is probably a year or two earlier. There used to be this great local Buffalo sports magazine called Buffalo Fan, I believe. I know I still have copies somewhere. So, one of the covers has a drawing of Lou Saban, Punch Imlach and Eddie Donovan playing poker. It was so true that at the time we had three great talent evaluators playing all their cards right and building great teams. Such good times. I thought for sure championships were just around the corner.

Holy ****! I remember that cover! Actually my father may still have that.

Weren't they all "cheating" by hiding a card or something? I think Punch in his hat, Lou in his sock or something and Eddie I can't remember? I wonder how well my memory is?

EDIT: About the championships... If the "cheating" was an omen... That is probably the reason!! ;)

I think I mentioned it before on this board... Remember the Loblaws NHL hockey player sticker books? When the Caps and Kansas City Scouts (now the Devils) came into the league... 76-77ish... My uncles worked at the warehouse on Bailey... So we would have filled up books... I can't find one of those at my father's... Boy I would kill to find one! I am still looking for them... Ones gotta be somewhere...

EDIT: Check out my sig... It is Steve Miller from 1976... At the end of the song he says what the sig says!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

A few days ago was a very difficult day for Rene Robert. He got the news on the same day that his friend Martin died and so did his borther.

This one really hits home. As a kid growing up in Buffalo during the Sabres' exciting early years, the Sabres in general and the French Connection in particular were 'rock star' – like heroes my friends and I all idolized. Rick Martin was one of the biggest icons of our youth. His powerful slapshot and quick release made him a pure offensive weapon. He held the rookie goal scoring record for years with 44, breaking his linemate Perreault's record set one year earlier. He scored 44 or more goals 5 times in his career, and broke the 50 goal mark twice, and was the Sabres' first ever 50 goal scorer. But it was more than just the numbers. It was the style, the flash, the flying hair, the big sideburns, the exotic (to us anyway) French-Canadian names and accents..... To us, they were not only great athletes, they were cool. RIP Rico – thanks for the memories.

This one really hits home. As a kid growing up in Buffalo during the Sabres' exciting early years, the Sabres in general and the French Connection in particular were 'rock star' like heroes my friends and I all idolized. Rick Martin was one of the biggest icons of our youth. His powerful slapshot and quick release made him a pure offensive weapon. He held the rookie goal scoring record for years with 44, breaking his linemate Perreault's record set one year earlier. He scored 44 or more goals 5 times in his career, and broke the 50 goal mark twice, and was the Sabres' first ever 50 goal scorer. But it was more than just the numbers. It was the style, the flash, the flying hair, the big sideburns, the exotic (to us anyway) French-Canadian names and accents..... To us, they were not only great athletes, they were cool. RIP Rico thanks for the memories.

I remember the year, maybe 1976 or 1977, when Rico went into the final game of the season with 49 goals. Danny Gare had 47, IIRC. I think they were playing Toronto...the whole game, all the talk was Rico having another 50 goal season...so, he ends up with nothing, while Danny Gare nets a hat-trick to get his 50...good times! With the exception of a few years with Mogilny and LaFontaine, the Sabres haven't really had anyone in sniffing distance of 50 goals in a season, for some time...it was fun, back in those days, to think it was a given that the Sabres would have a 50 goal scorer, or two...

Edited by Buftex

Weren't they all "cheating" by hiding a card or something? I think Punch in his hat, Lou in his sock or something and Eddie I can't remember? I wonder how well my memory is?

Yes, that is exactly how I remember the cover, too!! I was going to mention it, but couldn't quite say what it was - basically a raucous poker game with card sharks who had cards up their sleeves. I think a few cigars might have been thrown in for good measure!

Yes, that is exactly how I remember the cover, too!! I was going to mention it, but couldn't quite say what it was - basically a raucous poker game with card sharks who had cards up their sleeves. I think a few cigars might have been thrown in for good measure!

Sounds cool...I just have one that came out in the late 80's, if I recall, that is of an open locker, with all kinds of Bills, Braves and Sabres memorabilia pouring out of it...jeez...I sometimes think the best days of my life happened between 1974-1976...life was so much simpler then!

Sounds cool...I just have one that came out in the late 80's, if I recall, that is of an open locker, with all kinds of Bills, Braves and Sabres memorabilia pouring out of it...jeez...I sometimes think the best days of my life happened between 1974-1976...life was so much simpler then!

i agree, those were golden years for sure! as we commiserate home-run throw back,"just give it to them", "no goal", i will give you a braves moment that can hold its own also! friggin darrel garretson calling a foul allowing jo-jo white to go to the foul line with no time left on the clock during the celtics-braves playoff series in 76, i believe. i was in the oranges and the emotions were running as high as i have ever witnessed in buffalo sports history! i will submit that it ranks very high in buffalo sports infamy.

EDIT: About the championships... If the "cheating" was an omen... That is probably the reason!! ;)

I think I mentioned it before on this board... Remember the Loblaws NHL hockey player sticker books? When the Caps and Kansas City Scouts (now the Devils) came into the league... 76-77ish... My uncles worked at the warehouse on Bailey... So we would have filled up books... I can't find one of those at my father's... Boy I would kill to find one! I am still looking for them... Ones gotta be somewhere...

EDIT: Check out my sig... It is Steve Miller from 1976... At the end of the song he says what the sig says!

Wow!! Yes I do.