iPad 2

stevestojan

This is my first post on the iPad 2. Anyone else get one?

My review: if you have the original iPad, hold out for the iPad 3. Not enough changed to make it worth getting this one. If you don't have an iPad and you've been considering a "tablet type computer" jump on this. If you're Chef Jim or DC Tom and you just opened this post to ask "What's an iPad" or some other snarky remark, well, hello :)

I love the device for one reason.. I have VPN setup at home for my work PC. I have my Verizon iPhone 4 with hotspot capability which I always have with me. So, i have the wifi iPad 2 which connects to my home laptop which is always connected to work, and use an app called iTeleport to connect to said laptop which gives me constant iPad access to work. (you might ask why not just teleport directly into my work PC, well, I work for a company who allows no such thing.

Anyway, once again apple made something that "just works". I'm stunned that motorola priced the xoom at $800. Way to price yourself out of contention.

The girlfriend and I watched Jobs' keynote about the iPad 2 on the iPad 2 where he claims a revolutionary redesign; and in her words "it's just a little thinner and a different color". In other words, like I said before if you have the iPad 1 hold off, but otherwise, if you have a bit of disposable income, this thing is plenty cool... Regardless if you can use it for work.

Wifey's got an original iPad. I'll hold out for the 3.

Still can't believe how cool the iPad is and the new magnetic cover on the 2 is just plain sick. On/Off...On/Off. Holy turn on Batman.

Funny to see how Jobs turned the tables on the MS/PC world.

The arguments against Apple and the Mac were always it was overpriced and there were no apps for them.

Now, their competitors can't approach the price of the iPad and have about 100 apps to Apples 60,000. :lol:

Oh, and did I mention Apple's launched its second generation iPad already and are fast at work on gen 3? Love it.

Wifey's got an original iPad. I'll hold out for the 3.

Still can't believe how cool the iPad is and the new magnetic cover on the 2 is just plain sick. On/Off...On/Off. Holy turn on Batman.

Funny to see how Jobs turned the tables on the MS/PC world.

The arguments against Apple and the Mac were always it was overpriced and there were no apps for them.

Now, their competitors can't approach the price of the iPad and have about 100 apps to Apples 60,000. :lol:

Oh, and did I mention Apple's launched its second generation iPad already and are fast at work on gen 3? Love it.

Fan boy much? Have no real use for a tablet yet personally. Have a couple lap tops. (Asus one is a great gaming machine) that do the trick. That said,the new Blackberry Play Book looks more intriguing to me.

Still not necessary in my life but would buy one if the price came down to the $400 mark or so.

Was going to get an iPad 2, but Im holding out for the 3 since I heard it wasnt much of a change, and no retina display yet. And also because by the time I get my tax return in October or November, I might as well just wait out the release of the 3 a few months later. :thumbsup:

Definitely slick machines though. Well worth it whether you have the 1st, 2nd (or 3rd) gen. Expect the Xooms to be collecting dust on shelves. Not only is the iPad cheaper, but Apple put itself above and beyond the competition with it's app store. When you look back at the way they did this with the original iPhone, then the apps, then the tablet and apps... it's like they have a crystal ball.

Expect the Xooms to be collecting dust on shelves. Not only is the iPad cheaper, but Apple put itself above and beyond the competition with it's app store. When you look back at the way they did this with the original iPhone, then the apps, then the tablet and apps... it's like they have a crystal ball.

I keep seeing everybody saying that the Xoom is more expensive, but they're really not...

32G Xoom with 3G/4G contract = $599

32G iPad 2 with 3G contract (4G not available) = $729

16G iPad 2 with 3G contract (4G not available) = $629

32G Xoom with WiFi only = $539 (rumored - http://www.neowin.ne...ril-3rd-for-539 )

32GB iPad 2 with WiFi only = $599

The only price point where the iPad 2 wins with price is the 16GB model, something the Xoom doesn't have:

16GB iPad 2 with WiFi only = $499

The Xoom has a memory slot which is currently not activated but is supposed to be in the next month or two so you can cheaply upgrade the storage as well.

It's true that the iPad has a head start in apps right now, but if developers start supporting Android then they'll catch up with the useful/cool ones in no time. (60,000 apps, but most of them aren't really worth using). Time will tell, but I wouldn't count out Google.

• 3 weeks later...

I need each and evry one of who to go out and buy IPads, and insist to you boss you willl use them for work.. No, i do not own Apple stock..but i do sell software that is non flash based, and my main compitition is flash based..guess what I bring to every demo now :thumbsup::beer:

I need each and evry one of who to go out and buy IPads, and insist to you boss you willl use them for work.. No, i do not own Apple stock..but i do sell software that is non flash based, and my main compitition is flash based..guess what I bring to every demo now :thumbsup::beer:

I am very curious to see how little I might have to use the laptop on short trips. I know the iPad is not a replacement but I could easily see trying to go without the laptop once and a while.

I am very curious to see how little I might have to use the laptop on short trips. I know the iPad is not a replacement but I could easily see trying to go without the laptop once and a while.

Add the LogMe In App ($29.99) or the TeamViewer App (free, with a few limitations - the one I used of course). Either one will give you full control of your laptop over the internet. I recently used it for a short trip, rather than carry my laptop. Wow, is all I can say. I had full access and control of my windows laptop - downloaded Word files, edited them, resent them, the works. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on it for a full week or more, but I was gone 2 days and didn't expect alot of "heavy" computer use. It worked great.

Add the LogMe In App ($29.99) or the TeamViewer App (free, with a few limitations - the one I used of course). Either one will give you full control of your laptop over the internet. I recently used it for a short trip, rather than carry my laptop. Wow, is all I can say. I had full access and control of my windows laptop - downloaded Word files, edited them, resent them, the works. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on it for a full week or more, but I was gone 2 days and didn't expect alot of "heavy" computer use. It worked great.

Are you on a company network? I have to access everything across a VPN so I'm not sure how this would work. There are a number of gadget guys in the office so it is likely that someone has figured it out

Thanks for the info I'll look into it.

Are you on a company network? I have to access everything across a VPN so I'm not sure how this would work. There are a number of gadget guys in the office so it is likely that someone has figured it out

No, I'm not... home network. Good question about the VPN. You'd probably have to get one of your gadget guys to allow access through the VPN, otherwise I'm not sure one of these would work.

DropBox is another great way to transfer files between multiple computers; but you'd almost certainly need VPN access for that as well. Plus, it has the added complication that you'd still need the software on the iPad to open the files. That's why I liked the TeamViewer... I was on my laptop computer and had full access to all it's sofware and, of course, when I got home all the files were right there.. no syncing.

It takes a little to get used to using a mouse with your finger on the iPad screen... and of course you're slowed down with slow internet feeds. But, I highly recommend giving it a shot if you can get around the VPN.

This is my first post on the iPad 2. Anyone else get one?

My review: if you have the original iPad, hold out for the iPad 3. Not enough changed to make it worth getting this one. If you don't have an iPad and you've been considering a "tablet type computer" jump on this. If you're Chef Jim or DC Tom and you just opened this post to ask "What's an iPad" or some other snarky remark, well, hello :)

I love the device for one reason.. I have VPN setup at home for my work PC. I have my Verizon iPhone 4 with hotspot capability which I always have with me. So, i have the wifi iPad 2 which connects to my home laptop which is always connected to work, and use an app called iTeleport to connect to said laptop which gives me constant iPad access to work. (you might ask why not just teleport directly into my work PC, well, I work for a company who allows no such thing.

Anyway, once again apple made something that "just works". I'm stunned that motorola priced the xoom at $800. Way to price yourself out of contention.

The girlfriend and I watched Jobs' keynote about the iPad 2 on the iPad 2 where he claims a revolutionary redesign; and in her words "it's just a little thinner and a different color". In other words, like I said before if you have the iPad 1 hold off, but otherwise, if you have a bit of disposable income, this thing is plenty cool... Regardless if you can use it for work.

now you're really insulting me.

hey dude i found an ipad2. i thought it was a kids toy. so i gave it to my neighbor. he gave me a clean $20 for it. im starting to think i got ripped off.

just kidding. i only have a thousand posts. thats 2 weeks of posting for some of yall.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

OK, here ya go :)

My VPN for work limits my internet connection (of course) once connected. In other words, once I log into my VPN from home, I can't get to facebook, or any other site I couldn't get to at work. So, if I connect through VPN, I can no longer use TeamViewer (or any other remote connection software such as LoginIgnition, GotoMyPC, etc) to connect my iPad to my Macbook.

So, here's the solution I've used. I own a macbook and use Parallels desktop, which fully boots a background Windows XP (if you've never tried Parallels, its truly awesome. Windows programs work WITHIN OSX, not in some special window). Anyway, my VPN is set up through the Windows "side" of things. For some reason, this allows me to use TeamViewer to connect my iPad to my Macbook. Once I'm "in" my Macbook on the iPad, I can then go into windows and connect just fine to my VPN. Not sure how or why that works (its almost like Parallels gives me two seperate ip addresses?) but it does.

So, I'm on the road, I use the TeamViewer app to connect my Ipad2 to Macbook. Once connected, I open my VPN software, but through windows (it won't if used on the same "machine" Teamviewer is on), and the connect to my office PC. Full access to work via the ipad.