Is football more than just the game???

macaroni

The phrase I keep hearing out of everybody is that the CBA needs to be settled because Football is more than just a game .... I guess this rally cry is supposed to pull at our heart strings and polarize the fans support. But in thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that it IS more than a game, but only to the T.V. networks, the owners, and the players .... it's an industry to them.

IMHO ... to the average fan ... it's just a game. We could care less if the owner makes $1 dollor profit or 1 zillion dollars profit, we don't care if the player makes minimum wage or makes 100 millon dollars a game, we just want to watch a good football game.

What started this is I had been baseball fan as long as I've been a football fan, when baseball went on strike years ago I just kind of lost interest in the game ... I've never thought about why ... but I haven't even watched a game on TV since then ... I was pissed big time when they went on strike, but when they came back I just wasn't interested. I now think it may be because from that day forward baseball became something other than a game .... it became guys going to work in their chosen "Industry"... with the owners providing a "comodity" and that interested me far less than a bunch of guys playing a game.

For a lot of poeple it is more than a game and many of us plan our weekends to include football.

Sports, like music and art, like food and many other things, is part of what defines our culture.

Football is uniquely American and part of our culture, whether you like it or not. Same as music - such as blues, jazz, rock n' roll, hip-hop, etc.

For a lot of poeple it is more than a game and many of us plan our weekends to include football.

"A lot" is a relative term. I believe that not anywhere near half (probably not even 25%) of adult Americans plan their weekends around football. To some, like you perhaps, it is more than a game. To me and others it is one form of entertainment and nothing more.

Football is uniquely American

This is clearly true.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Sports, like music and art, like food and many other things, is part of what defines our culture.

Football is uniquely American and part of our culture, whether you like it or not. Same as music - such as blues, jazz, rock n' roll, hip-hop, etc.

There are many alternatives to entertain or socially bond with family and friends. Pro football imo is at risk of driving fans away due to greed.

Football is more than just the game to me. It's about seeing friends I haven't seen since last season at RWS. Tailgating.

I agree Jack. I have had the pleasure of seeing you for many years now because of football. I also think that Bills fans take it a step further. We, imo, are super fans.

What we hope for (a superbowl win) is almost impossible for us to achieve. This football team just has too many holes, a meddling owner, and a low income fan base. We have suffered through the heralded Marv Levy and the obvious failure Dick Jauron. These people, however "nice," are losers. Presently, our GM is a question mark at best, and our head coach is (imo) a super qualified offensive coordinator.

However, being a true Bills fan attests to ones loyalty as a person. You and I are taking time to look at the draft in the hope of the Bills winning. Yet, neither of us would be that surprised to see the Bills draft Peterson, or even a lower rated defensive back at #3. This is because the Bills are prone to stupidity when it comes to the allocation of our best resources. There are countless examples.

If I don't live long enough to see the Bills win it all, I hope that my daughters (legit Bills fans) do. That said, it would be cool for the Bills to make the playoffs before my demise, ya know? :)

See ya at the playoffs.......some day!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

I agree Jack. I have had the pleasure of seeing you for many years now because of football. I also think that Bills fans take it a step further. We, imo, are super fans.

What we hope for (a superbowl win) is almost impossible for us to achieve. This football team just has too many holes, a meddling owner, and a low income fan base. We have suffered through the heralded Marv Levy and the obvious failure Dick Jauron. These people, however "nice," are losers. Presently, our GM is a question mark at best, and our head coach is (imo) a super qualified offensive coordinator.

However, being a true Bills fan attests to ones loyalty as a person. You and I are taking time to look at the draft in the hope of the Bills winning. Yet, neither of us would be that surprised to see the Bills draft Peterson, or even a lower rated defensive back at #3. This is because the Bills are prone to stupidity when it comes to the allocation of our best resources. There are countless examples.

If I don't live long enough to see the Bills win it all, I hope that my daughters (legit Bills fans) do. That said, it would be cool for the Bills to make the playoffs before my demise, ya know? :)

See ya at the playoffs.......some day!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eloquently put, as always.

...What started this is I had been baseball fan as long as I've been a football fan, when baseball went on strike years ago I just kind of lost interest in the game ... I've never thought about why ... but I haven't even watched a game on TV since then ... I was pissed big time when they went on strike, but when they came back I just wasn't interested. I now think it may be because from that day forward baseball became something other than a game .... it became guys going to work in their chosen "Industry"... with the owners providing a "comodity" and that interested me far less than a bunch of guys playing a game.

Hey Mac

I enjoy a good football game, but not like I used to. When real free-agency started, I think the NFL lost something. I found other things to do on the no-football sundays during the 1982 and 1987 strike seasons. If there is no pro-football this year, college football is an option. Life will go on . . .

Edited by Mr_Blizzard