If Fitzy gets injured this year, what will the Bills do?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting all caught up in this draft and I'm overlooking the possibility of Fitzpatrick getting injured. What would the Bills do in this scenario? Who in the world would take the snaps? Would this be addressed in the draft or in free agency, because as far as I know they currently don't have nobody except for Levi Brown.

It would really suck to lose Fitzy to injury. But if we did it would suck like GB losing Rodgers or Indy losing Manning. We can't fret so much about this. Things happen and we deal as best we can and in the most efficient way possible.

I'm getting all caught up in this draft and I'm overlooking the possibility of Fitzpatrick getting injured. What would the Bills do in this scenario? Who in the world would take the snaps? Would this be addressed in the draft or in free agency, because as far as I know they currently don't have nobody except for Levi Brown.

Gabbert

Is Leinhert still available??? lol

This is one place free agency being after the draft could hurt. We could've signed a borderline starter, vet backup who thinks he can compete and do as we please in the draft. If we draft a guy at 3 I imagine it'll be tough to get a quality vet but you never know

Levi Brown would be the starter in 2011 & Andrew Luck would be the starter in 2012.

That would be the dream scenario. We can only wish and hope. Luck is the next Ryan/Flacco/Manning. No one disputes that.

On a practical note, Nix will get a backup in FA to go with Brown. No big deal. Lots of them around. You may even see JP Losman back. who knows.

Play Cam Newton.

I suspect that one of two things will happen -- whether the Bills draft a QB early or not. Either they pick up a veteran backup -- or they invest a late round pick on a polished but less toolsy player like McElroy. If they draft a Newton/Gabbert/Locker/Mallet then this 4th QB would be in competition with Levi Brown (who let's not forget, the Bills actually cut last year and only made it onto the roster after Trent was let go after Week 3) for a roster spot. If they don't draft a Newton/Gabbert/Locker/Mallet then such a QB would become a necessity.

My GUESS would be that be that Gailey likely follows the same method of operation he has used in he past with Fiedler, Kordell, Thigpen, Bulger, and Fitzpatrick and gets a vet QB who has shown football smarts and has seen NFL Ds behind the center in games and lots of practices to be his back-up.

As one poster correctly pointed out, the choice is more than Gailey's so simply because he has shown no tendency nor any (I mean zero, nada, none, zippo) previous success with drafting and training up a rookie starting at ground zero as his starter, perhaps he will do something totally differemt.

I really doubt it though.

Particularly when with Luck deciding not to go there is no (again zero, nada, none zippo) draftees with more than a remote long distance chance of being the franchise guy we want (perhaps actually Newton might be but his primary likely rookie contribution is going to be as a QB in the Wildcat- in fact if Newton is our #3 it pretty much means by definition we have not used the #1 to improve our run D when actually the run D is likely two starters away from adequacy. Further, we have decided by taken Newton to push our acquisition of OL help down a round when we appear to be at least a player and a half (RT and swing guy who makes the back-up OL situation work) and likely a year of play for the new OL to develop chemistry).

If Newton or a second tier talent gets thrown to the wolves if Fitzy gets injured my guess would be that his training gets short circuited by being required to do more than he can reasonably be asked to do. He would have to produce with a D which right now is a couple of good players (a DE and OLB) short of adequacy and with an OL (a player and a half short of adequacy) that is not good enough without a vet QB capable of reading pro Ds well.

Do you really feel Newton is a good enough player that he will be able to make pro-reads his first year?

It is pretty doubtful the Bills will be able to plug all their needs from this one draft.

Spending the 1st on Newton simply sets back filling other needs by a round of talent.

I love how everyone points out that "Levi was actually cut, then brought back once Edwards was let go." Yes, he was cut. Yes, he was brought back. Why does it matter? Did anyone watch the Preseason last year? How about the Jet game when Brohm started? Levi has talent and potential. I would be more than comfortable with him stepping in for an injured Fitzpatrick. The guy can chuck the ball around. He got cut because Gailey came to a team with 3 young Quarterback with various degrees of success/playing time in the NFL. He drafted Levi, and went with his "best looking guy" at practice for regular season. Then it comes down to who to keep behind him. The obvious choice was Fitz because of his previously documented NFL Success in Buffalo and Cincinnati and St. Louis. After that is Brown or Brohm. Well, when Gailey was coaching at Georgia Tech, I am sure he had to at least think about Brohm in some capacity. Was it to recruit him? Was it to play against him? Was it because he liked watching College Football Live on ESPN? I don't know, but I do know that Gailey was aware that coming out of Louisville, Brohm was a really good looking NFL prospect and on a team that can't win, you gotta keep all the best looking guys you already have. Brown was cut due to a numbers game. If Sanborn didn't count toward the active roster, I bet Brown would have been. I am sure he was sent packing with a whisper in his ear to keep his phone on. Trent was a two week experiment for Chan. He failed, so Brown came back. Don't read too much into. It doesn't matter. They clearly like Brown better than Edwards and Brohm because he is the only one left standing. And we're not taking a QB before the 4th round. If we didn't take one until the 7th last season when it was ALL we needed, we won't take one this year when its not even close to priority.