If the Bills Go with Newton...

Owen

Would they then in the 2nd round pick a RT and in the 3rd a TE? .... Would they possibly go with their first three picks all offense to round out the teams offensive weaknesses?

Then with the balance of their picks and free agency, go heavy on defense?

I think it is possible....but maybe improbable.... If you were GM would you go that route...??

Assuming Newton is their pick that is.....

I hope not. Chan proved he can make this offense effective with the talent on the roster. Fitz, Freddy, Spiller Johnson, Roscoe, Evans, nelson, Jones all made plays this year. With Urbik in at G and Wood at center and Bell having a full offseason to get stronger i think our line is actually in decent shape. Pears was a two year starter in Denver at RT. I think hes our guy there. I would be very surprised if this draft isnt defense heavy

Cutting Stroud and bringing in Wanny tells me they are serious about improving that side of the ball

Best analysis of Newton I've heard to date- A slow Michael Vick. If we wanted Michael Vick we should have gotten him when he was available.

Maybe a slower Mike Vick is more accurate. I'm not a Newton fan, but he did run a 4.5whatever 40, that's not too bad for a QB.

I am hoping the Bills go Defense with the 1st pick. But to answer the original post, if they do go CN first pick, they absolutely have to go D. Especially with the potential FA losses, there will be even more holes. Not to mention the help they need on the D line as well. This defense as it stands is not good...

Edited by ricojes

To answer the poster's question...I would hope that Baylor's Taylor makes it to us in rd 2, if he does not we should grab the best DE (Heyward?)/LB (Wilson), then try to nab NC's DT Austin in the third. Do not take Rudolph in the second to pair with Cam in the first.

Better yet forget about Cam and get Dareus or Fairley, if not them, drop a few and get Quinn or Bowers.

Do not underestimate the Buzz or Excitement factor in the Bills 1st round pick.....They need to shore up the season ticket base, the Toronto ticket sales, and get the intrigue factor up for the Franchise in general.....From that vantage point Newton makes a great deal of sense. If Cam turns out to be a good to excellent QB that the franchise desperately needs....Double winner!!!

Just sayin!!!

Maybe a slower Mike Vick is more accurate. I'm not a Newton fan, but he did run a 4.5whatever 40, that's not too bad for a QB.

I am hoping the Bills go Defense with the 1st pick. But to answer the original post, if they do go CN first pick, they absolutely have to go D. Especially with the potential FA losses, there will be even more holes. Not to mention the help they need on the D line as well. This defense as it stands is not good...

Agree, CN is anything but slow and has an initial burst that is outstanding. To call CN a slow Mike Vick is like calling a Ferrari a slow Lamborghini.

Do not underestimate the Buzz or Excitement factor in the Bills 1st round pick.....They need to shore up the season ticket base, the Toronto ticket sales, and get the intrigue factor up for the Franchise in general.....From that vantage point Newton makes a great deal of sense. If Cam turns out to be a good to excellent QB that the franchise desperately needs....Double winner!!!

Just sayin!!!

True, maybe he'll get the key to the city...

What about a fast Ben Roethlisberger?

That's what she said...

Best analysis of Newton I've heard to date- A slow Michael Vick. If we wanted Michael Vick we should have gotten him when he was available.

Silly comparison. Vick murdered dogs & had proven nothing in 3 years. He is also is 6' tall.

Newton just took a 7-5 team to a national championship. He is 6'6" & 250 lbs.

What about a fast Ben Roethlisberger?

You didn't get the memo. Newton is only allowed to be compared to black qbs. :oops:

Holy Mother of avatars, Batman.

DEE-FENSE DEE-FENSE DEE-FFENSE

This!

And I would like to see Buffalo trade down and still get defensive help.

I'm thinking San Francisco.

San Fran moves up to the 3 spot to ensure the draft a QB, which according to all of the NFL pundits is the biggest need for them.

To San Fransisco

(1st round) #3 overall pick 2011

To Buffalo

(1st round) #7 overall pick 2011

(3rd round) #76 overall pick 2011

(1st round) San Fransisco's 1st round selection 2012 pick

This is reasonable to move up and grab a QB (which ever one SF wants), it also gives Buffalo that second 1st round pick in 2012, if you want Luck in the 2012 draft, Buffalo is going to need two 1st round picks and then some to move up to the first overall selection.

I project San Fransisco and Buffalo to both be in the top 15 of the 2012 draft. So you offer those 2 picks and maybe a couple of 3rd rounders or a 2nd rounder and get Luck at first overall. Just my opinion though.

This!

And I would like to see Buffalo trade down and still get defensive help.

I'm thinking San Francisco.

San Fran moves up to the 3 spot to ensure the draft a QB, which according to all of the NFL pundits is the biggest need for them.

To San Fransisco

(1st round) #3 overall pick 2011

To Buffalo

(1st round) #7 overall pick 2011

(3rd round) #76 overall pick 2011

(1st round) San Fransisco's 1st round selection 2012 pick

This is reasonable to move up and grab a QB (which ever one SF wants), it also gives Buffalo that second 1st round pick in 2012, if you want Luck in the 2012 draft, Buffalo is going to need two 1st round picks and then some to move up to the first overall selection.

I project San Fransisco and Buffalo to both be in the top 15 of the 2012 draft. So you offer those 2 picks and maybe a couple of 3rd rounders or a 2nd rounder and get Luck at first overall. Just my opinion though.

I would have to say not a chance in hell does SF give up that much to move up 4 spots. Especially for the quality of QBs available. I know there is a numerical points system associated with draft picks, and I would love to see how lopsided that trade would be. If they would be stupid enough to do it, you take that trade any day of the week.

http://www.mynfldraft.com/points.php

Here's a point system I found, not sure if it's accurate or not.

According to this, our #3 is worth 2200 points

SFs #7 is 1500, #76 is 210, and let's say we get next year's #16 (putting it right in the middle of the first round) it's 1000...that's a value of 2710.

That's a 510 point difference in the trade...which is the value of a 39th overall selection. Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Edited by machinegun12

Just sayin!!!

Excellent point. Imagine how many new jersey's this team could sell with a top pick at QB and having the new name Newton on the back. Yet sadly if this happens then it tells me that Wilson is still running this team and not Nix or Gailey etc. As to me that demonstrates a business decision not a football one. As to me the better football (field) decision is to build a stronger defense and keep games closer and hope in year 2 Gailey can make better use of talents like Spiller and Evans. As to me it's a way better plan of attack then hoping to win a shootout with a rookie QB.