Yet another thread on draft thoughts, scenarios

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... He then becomes a low risk-high reward player.

How does he suddenly become a low risk-high reward player at the 34th pick? Maybe

the risk/reward ratio is better then than early in the first, but he would still be a very

risky pick that high in the 2nd round (IMHO). He might be a bigger, stronger

Randal Cunningham or he might be another Tarvaris Jackson.

I think taking Cam Newton - or any other QB in this draft class - with the No. 3 pick is a gamble the Bills can't afford to take. Newton at No. 3 would be as uncertain a prospect as someone taken in Round 4 or 5. My vote is DEFENSE. A stud DE or pass-rushing freak at LB is what they need. It was the defense that gave up 200+ yards rushing per game, not the QB.

Buddy Nix in a recent interview listed DE, CB, ILB,QB, and OT as najor needs. OLB is not listed as he said he is happy with Merriman, Moats and maybe Maybin. So here's what the bills draft might look like, he said he doe'nt like to trade down either.

1. Patrick Peterson, LSU S/CB. Best Player in the draft, listed as need by Nix. This pick is assuming that Newton was selected by Carolina.

2. Akeem Ayers, UCLA ILB. One of the best ILB in the draft.

3. Andy Dalton TCU, QB. career stats Project QB to back up Fitz. Risng up the charts and Galley knows him.

4a. Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin. Bills get lucky and this guys slips to 4th round.

4b. Marcus Gilbert Florida OT, can challege foe starter and adds depth.

5. Lawrence Guy Arizona St DE. Depth at position. has good size 6'5" 300.

6. Josh Bynes Auburn ILB. More LB Depth.

7. Graig Cooper Miami RB. Best Player on Board. Depth behind Spiller and Jackson.

It's not my favorite draft, but the Bills never draft what I want or expect.

Edited by bisonbrigade

realistically he is easily a second rounder, talent wise. but his hype and raw ability will cause some owners to fall in love.

every time i hear this i want to freak out. the simplest argument anyone can make is that do you really think a guy with cam newton's ego is going to switch from the most celebrated position on the field to one of the least? do you honestly think he can pass protect?

If there was no JaMarcus Russell and this guy was white, he'd be the concensus #1 overall pick. He went undefeated in the toughest conference in college football. Won 2 nat'l championships in college. I'm not saying he's going to be great, but he's certainly going early in the 1st round.

Buddy Nix in a recent interview listed DE, CB, ILB,QB, and OT as najor needs. OLB is not listed as he said he is happy with Merriman, Moats and maybe Maybin. So here's what the bills draft might look like, he said he doe'nt like to trade down either.

1. Patrick Peterson, LSU S/CB. Best Player in the draft, listed as need by Nix. This pick is assuming that Newton was selected by Carolina.

2. Akeem Ayers, UCLA ILB. One of the best ILB in the draft.

3. Andy Dalton TCU, QB. career stats Project QB to back up Fitz. Risng up the charts and Galley knows him.

4a. Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin. Bills get lucky and this guys slips to 4th round.

4b. Marcus Gilbert Florida OT, can challege foe starter and adds depth.

5. Lawrence Guy Arizona St DE. Depth at position. has good size 6'5" 300.

6. Josh Bynes Auburn ILB. More LB Depth.

7. Graig Cooper Miami RB. Best Player on Board. Depth behind Spiller and Jackson.

It's not my favorite draft, but the Bills never draft what I want or expect.

thematically this makes sense. But a) Panthers won't take Newton and b) Bills won't either. He screwed the pooch with all his bragging and then laying an egg at the combine.

Also, Rd 2, I could see him go with DE over ILB depending who's there. If Wilkerson falls that will create a real dilemna with Ayers. I could see them go Ayers since they went DLine in Rds 2 and 3 last year. That's fine with me. Give Troupe and Carrington a chance to step up in their 2nd year. If they do, this would be an excellent draft.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

we couldn't stop the run and this is one of the deepest dline drafts of recent years. If we don't land a great dt and de this draft would be another disaster. I don't understand the Peterson hype. He is a numbers guy, the production is not there. We can't afford to blow the 3rd pick

yes, drafting dbs has worked so well in the past with Clemnets, Winfield, wittner, McKelvin why not keep doing it. We don't need big def linemen or pass rushers.

Why not draft Dareus or Bowers and never look back for the next 10 years?

AMEN brother!!! :beer:

we couldn't stop the run and this is one of the deepest dline drafts of recent years. If we don't land a great dt and de this draft would be another disaster. I don't understand the Peterson hype. He is a numbers guy, the production is not there. We can't afford to blow the 3rd pick

+ infinity

id take kevin kolb for a 2nd rounder

Its an interesting take. Does anyone think that Gabbert, Newton, Locker, whoever, is a better option NOW and for the future than Kolb? I mean, Kolb has experience (something like 19 games) and has a good amount of 300+ yrds and multi TDs in there too.

If Kold was coming out in this class, he would far and away be the top QB. Doesnt that mean that the Bills would be better off trading the #3 pick for him - rather than drafting a QB actually in the class? Thats another way to think about it when trying to determine Kolbs value in a trade.

Edited by Thoner7

no qb's in the 2nd or 3rd rounds! you end up with kevin kolb or trent edwards and we don't need that.

Naw,you make a trade or even pick up an FA like a Brees, Dilfer, two-time loser Brad Johnson, Vick or even Brett Favre (a second rounder run out of town elsewhere who actually was available twice as an FA and took a team into the championship game after being picked up as an FA.

Sure, some of these gets were malcontents or high maintenance, but you are saying that tons of early QB choices like Leaf, Russel or Smith were also not malcontent high maintenance idiots.

The key is that it comes down to individual player assessment and relative risk/reward judgments.

I simply see no QBs in this draft whose risk/reward and the Bills obvious need to stop the run who would be worth more than a 4th rounder to us.

Disagreeing with this is more than legit, but the debate devolves down pretty quickly to the person advocating the QB choice to choose a name and advocate for him being worthy of that draft pick.

yes, drafting dbs has worked so well in the past with Clemnets, Winfield, wittner, McKelvin why not keep doing it. We don't need big def linemen or pass rushers.

Why not draft Dareus or Bowers and never look back for the next 10 years?

What ya gotta understand about Peterson are his measure-ables, at 6ft 219 lbs and runs a 4.32 forty is god like for a DB.

This guy projects into another Steve Atwater-Ronnie Lott-Troy Polamalu type if he moves to safety, and even if he doesn't he can match up with any of the bigger receivers at CB, plus he has the speed to stick on any of them, not to mention he has phenom kick return skills.Like Suh was last year, this kid is the best defensive player in the draft.

read this :

http://www.cbssports...players/1632296

I wouldn't cry should the Bills draft this kid, especially if the top DE Bowers is gone

Edited by Harvey lives