Yet another thread on draft thoughts, scenarios

I was sold on Von Miller being our 1st round selection after trading down a few spots, but I don't feel as strongly about that anymore! I think defensively there are 3 players (4 if you want a CB which I don't) worthwhile of drafting at #3 Marcell Dareus, Da'Quan Bowers, & Nick Fairley. I personally feel that it is not smart to take any QB in this draft at #3. I've been doing extensive research and feel like I'm on track even though the draft to some extent has unknowns and is a crap shoot! I don't think there is one sure thing at QB..Either they have poor to mediocre stats, but great intangibles, or great stats, but red flags like previous injuries or there may be moral issues, suspensions, and accusations of theft etc...There is no Peyton Manning in this draft! One of the projected QB's to be selected first generally had a poor to fair combine which left several question marks about accuracy.

I think the riskiest of the 3 Defensive lineman I mentioned would be Nick Fairley with possibly the biggest potential to boom or bust. Here are some quotes from Lindy's Pro Football Draft magazine which is consistent w/most everything I'm reading on other sources and publications:

Failey is relatively thin limbed for the position and can be knocked off the ball due to his lack of an ideal anchor........Good but not elite strength, especially in his lower body. Has a tendancy to come up at the snap and can be pushed back because of it....He is labeled as a player with some true bust potential, as there are concerns about his work ethic. Carries a little bit of extra weight around the middle and is more "Country" strong than weight-room defined. Has developed a reputation as a dirty player, repeatedly flagged for late hitsand there have been occasions when he speared ball carriers with his helmet etc......There are enough red flags surrounding him-work ethic discipline on and off the field etc.......

To his credit of course their were many positive comments as well....He is listed at 6-4 298, but it has been reported that he was in the mid 260's at the combine which is light for the position. He performed okay at the combine, but he didn't tear it up neither and his time was only okay.

Also I was reviewing my draft manuals from last year....and they didn't even talk about Nick Fairley at all and he wasn't in the conversation as a candidate in the first round of this year. He is essentially a one year wonder and a high risk/high reward player in my opinion.

Marcell Dareus, Now I couldn't find anything derrogatory about him at all accept for receiving inappropriate benefits from a agent last year resulting in a 2 game suspension. The only other negative at all was that he is not consistent defeating cut blocks with his hands. That's it! He is a true 6-3 309 lb. player and Lindy's view is that Dareus' size and strength stood out as a five technique in Alabama coach Nick Saban's preferred 3-4 scheme. He cleared the way for Alabama's linebackers to flow to the ball and could play a similar role in the NFL. Dareus' short stocky frame might be more conducive to playing inside defensive tackle in the 4-3 alignment. The ability to play either role should make him one of the first defensive lineman selected in the 2011 draft.

Da'Quan bowers is a good read! I didn't even find anything negative on him and last years issues had him projected as this years #1 pick, and he has sustained an explosive consistency to actually be considered for the #1 pick! Enough said here.....

Just want to mention before closing that Robert Quinn was not a good read, missed all of last year on his suspension, and is not good handling the run! Lindy's said... Too light to hold up at the point of attack on rushing plays designed to go directly at him. Can be engulfed and driven off the ball..Regularly fails to keep contain, too often slicing inside and losing his gap integrity when he incorrectly judges the speed of the ballcarrier. Lacks the sand in his pants to hold up against the run consistently....Just not what we are looking for!!!!!!!!!

So in my opinion it's down to two players if we are really looking for a more sure-thing without drafting the next Maybin, or Albert Haynesworth who they compare Fairley to!

#1 Marcell Dareus DT or #1 Da'Quan Bowers !!! Who do you think would be the better selection? Which one fills a more critical need..(I have an opinion on all that, but I care more about yours!)

If that plan fails and we end up with Fairley I still will have a smile though, because his potential is on the 80th floor of a 80 story building! I'd be excited with Cam Newton as well, but scared as heck that he could

be a bust! As far as Von Miller goes...well after researching further, I don't like that he is a little undersized, and we've travelled that road with Mr. Maybe Maybin who isn't even close!!!

So what are your views on all of this??????????

Edited by tonyjustbcuz

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Von Miller currently the same size as Clay Matthews?

Clay Matthews 6'3" - 246 lbs

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MattCl99.htm

Von Miller 6' 5/8" - 246 lbs

http://footballsfuture.com/2011/combine/olb.html

I've changed my tune on Miller, I think he's worthy of the #3 pick (check out his 40 time, WOW). With how deep this draft is at defensive line, I think we can get a good one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

All jokes aside...I think they've fallen in love with CB Peterson & go after QB Kapernick in the second round!

But, who really knows...Dallas could be a trade partner & we could get Newton at 9...who knows--only Skooby does!

Edited by KollegeStudnet

All jokes aside...I think they've fallen in love with CB Peterson & go after QB Kapernick in the second round!

I think you're right, but I think they will wait until round 3 to take a QB. Although I really want Marcell Dareus at #3....I think they'll pick Peterson in round 1 and the best ILB available in round 2 (unless Kyle Rudolph is still on the board).

But, who really knows...Dallas could be a trade partner & we could get Newton at 9...who knows--only Skooby does!

Can't see that happening. Nix has said that D Line is a major need and I highly doubt we're going to go big in terms of free agent linemen. They have to go with a front seven guy with at least one of their top 2 picks.

I can't wait for the draft!!! #3 & #34.... No matter who we get they will be good players. IMO...

Where have you been the last 11 years?

Can't see that happening. Nix has said that D Line is a major need and I highly doubt we're going to go big in terms of free agent linemen. They have to go with a front seven guy with at least one of their top 2 picks.

He said that last year too, along with the OL (the teams self-admited #1 priority heading into teh draft)

I've said some of these things in other replies (hey, give me a break, I'm bored stiff waiting for CBA decision and for April 28th) but Dareus is the best and safest pick at #3 and is my pick. Fairley is the biggest risk out of the three with Bowers in between, but all three would make me happy at #3. I'd even be mildly pleased with Peterson or Green if they can be the impact players they've been forecast to be.

The biggest factor will be who is there at #3 and if they don't get any good offers at all to trade down. The next factor is if Buffalo really believes that they need a first round QB and if they believe any of these QB's is worth it.

If we don't get Dareus, I also would flip out in a good way if they grabbed nose guards Jerrell Powe or Phil Taylor if either was available at #34.

After that it's BPA according to biggest need.

Of course there are many who are pro QB at #3 sooooo......

Flip a coin and keep your fingers crossed.

I'd rather see the Bills draft no one with their first or second round picks than watch them used on Peterson and Kapernick! :angry: That way the Bills fans wouldn't be misled into (yet another) misplaced sense of excitement! :angry: :angry:

Man I don't want another CB in the first!!!!!!!!!

:wallbash:

Me neither. I also don't want a friggin linebacker. Draft talent and draft size. The defensive line needs help. A strong line will make the rest of the defense better.

Me neither. I also don't want a friggin linebacker. Draft talent and draft size. The defensive line needs help. A strong line will make the rest of the defense better.

Kelsay, Ayodele, Posluszny are currently listed as three of our starting LBs.

+

Von Miller had a fantastic combine.

=

Hells to the yes to a friggin special playmaking linebacker like him. There's going to be a good DE/DT run stuffer there at the #34, bank on it. Not saying that I'm locked in, but he should be seriously considered.

Where have you been the last 11 years?

Watching my team lose!!!! I never said any of the past picks have been good. I'm talking about this year... I think Buddy and Chan have us moving in the right direction. So yeah, I think we are going to have 2 good guys with our first two picks. As I typed before, IMO!!!!

:thumbsup:

Kelsay, Ayodele, Posluszny are currently listed as three of our starting LBs.

+

Von Miller had a fantastic combine.

=

Hells to the yes to a friggin special playmaking linebacker like him. There's going to be a good DE/DT run stuffer there at the #34, bank on it. Not saying that I'm locked in, but he should be seriously considered.

I don't care who you have lined up at linebacker, if you have a weak defensive line you're going to get pushed around like the Bills were last year. Fix the line first and then fill in the holes. It's a lot easier to acquire talent at LB than it is at defensive line in the NFL.

Today I like Dareus. Yesterday I liked Fairley. The day before I liked Miller.

Is Newton a fig leaf or does he have gravitas? Does Bowers fit as a 3-4 DE? Is Quinn the best of them all?

It was much easier with Jauron--I'm sure we'd pick Peterson. My head hurts. :wallbash:

Peterson. Yeah. And then we wouldn't be able to stop the run next year either. I just hope they fix this defensive front 7. Get two for the front 7 in rounds one and two. Then in rounds three and four get a RT and a QB. And they will probably have to draft another QB next year, too. After that, with Fitz and two new QBs, one of them should be able to play.

Is Newton a fig leaf or does he have gravitas? Does Bowers fit as a 3-4 DE? Is Quinn the best of them all?

It was much easier with Jauron--I'm sure we'd pick Peterson. My head hurts. :wallbash:

SOOO true. This is something that would be very hard for non-Bills Fans to comprehend.

That said, I would be a little surprised if they don't take a QB at #3. The fact that they are the Bills opens us up to picks such as Peterson or Green, but this time I doubt it.

I've moved around a bit in my preferences too, mostly because I didn't anticipate Mallett's stock plummeting like it has and because I thought we'd finish the season better and pick more like #8-10. Picking at #3 has me in a quandary - there's no one that 'jumps off the board' to make me want them more than I want Von Miller, with the possible exception of Gabbert, whom I expect will go to the Panthers.

Hoping either Carimi and/or Watt somehow fall out of round one - that would make the #34 pick a lot easier, IMO. (The only question would be which Badger to pick!)

It'll all be over in 7 weeks - then the real whining can begin! B-)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :beer:

True that! A few of us were out at the Bills bar for the Sabres game last night and I hit my limit of discussing this draft. I hope the Bills never pick in the Top 5 again, it's just too much! :thumbsup: