BYU basketball player kicked off team

so are we to believe that Jim McMahon didn't violate BYU's Honor Code?

He claims, a few days after winning the 1981 Holiday Bowl, he was "asked" to leave BYU because of his proclivities. Classic case of both parties using eachother. He used BYU to showcase his talents and get into the NFL, and BYU looked the other way concerning his off-field activities as long he continued to win.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really do not think they are holding him to a higher standard. I have read they have kicked regular students out also from time to time for violating these ethics code. People that are saying these ethics are ridiculous or hypocritical are missing the point. It is their school. The Mormons own it. They could do what they want. Noone puts a gun to their heads & tell them they have to go to BYU. If you want to have a good time, act like a crazy college kid & get the full college experience my suggestion is do not go to BYU. There are thousands of other schools that will be willing to take your money.

I agree that we have religious freedom in this country and the Mormons should be able to do what they want with their school. The dude agreed to it so rules are rules.

That doesn't mean we can't criticize the rules of the Mormons. I don't think it is fair that sex is illegal, women go around wearing burkahs and geez.....coffee....really?

Anyway the burkah thing is tricky because it could be a national security risk and that must be weighed against religious freedom. Some Mormon lady once tried to have her driver's license picture taken wearing a burkah. That doesn't make sense unless she wore that very same burkah every time she drove which would probably be only one time if she lived near roads with cliffs.

Anyway Gordio who is this dude Noone and why is he putting guns to their heads?

I agree that we have religious freedom in this country and the Mormons should be able to do what they want with their school. The dude agreed to it so rules are rules.

That doesn't mean we can't criticize the rules of the Mormons. I don't think it is fair that sex is illegal, women go around wearing burkahs and geez.....coffee....really?

Anyway the burkah thing is tricky because it could be a national security risk and that must be weighed against religious freedom. Some Mormon lady once tried to have her driver's license picture taken wearing a burkah. That doesn't make sense unless she wore that very same burkah every time she drove which would probably be only one time if she lived near roads with cliffs.

Anyway Gordio who is this dude Noone and why is he putting guns to their heads?

I don't believe that LDS wear burkas.

LDS is the name of Lou Gherig's disease. I'm not sure why it belongs in a basketball discussion.

Can that be caught by sleeping with a Mormon chick wearing a burkah? If so, that is the connection. If not, consider that the source is Beerboy.

I don't get it.

Anyway, do you know this dude Noone that holds guns to everyone's heads? Does he work in collections on commission by any chance?

I don't know Noone, but his brother should be able to help you.

LDS is the name of Lou Gherig's disease. I'm not sure why it belongs in a basketball discussion.

You're thinking of ALCS not LDS. (not the LDS who used to post here from his mom's basement)

You meant to leave out the "R"?

what the hell is an acist?

Who asked you, amius?

Well if it's his disease, why didn't they just name it after Lou Gherig?

Beerboy got us off track with his acronyms.

To get this thing re-energized I will say that while most terrorists are Mormons that does not mean most Mormons are terrorists. I don't like all of these racial overtones but facts are facts. Mitt Romney is a Mormon and some people don't want him as president because of that. I don't think it is fair but people have the right to vote. Some people think Obama is faking being a Christian for votes and that he is actually a Mormon.

I don't like Romney or Obama but not because they are Mormons or accused of being Mormons. I don't like Romney because he is as cardboard as Al Gore and wouldn't have to worry about the rules concerning women anyway because those are enforced by the women. Obama is basically a hippy.

Anyway I digress. I don't like the burkah driver's license thing but other than that I think BYU should do whatever they want.

I didn't get acronymonious. There was no bitterness to my post, just pointing out the facts. <_<

I did not say anything about your acrimony nor would I. If your wife is cool with your profession then by all means acrimony is a good thing for your.

I was just pointing out that you confused everyone with the initials thing LDS. Nobody seems to know what you meant.

I did not say anything about your acrimony nor would I. If your wife is cool with your profession then by all means acrimony is a good thing for your.

I was just pointing out that you confused everyone with the initials thing LDS. Nobody seems to know what you meant.

What about Noone?

BYU's honor code is functionally moot. Sheer hypocrisy in it's arbitrary and impossible enforcement. It isn't an honor code. It's nothing. It's just meaningless words used to justify....outrageous conduct on the part of the school such as this that would be tolerated nowhere else.

You really do have your head up your ass.

Does BYU's honor code say anything about the magic underwear?

That must be worn at all times once a person has received Temple endowments, from what I hear. :ph34r: