What would happen if there isn't a season?

bobobonators

Quick question, b/c I'm not sure. Lets say absolute worst case scenario labor talks go into nov/december and there isn't an NFL season this year...and a new cba is agreed to in lets say January of 2012....what would happen to next year's draft class? How would the order be determined? Lottery? thanks.

honestly thats probably a best case scenario for the bills, let them add two years worth of college talent to overhaul the currentyl talent LESS roster (give or take MAYBE 5 guys)....as much as Id hate to miss out on the NFL....it would help our lowly bills more than we know...although cheap ralph will probably let the coaches go so he doesnt have to pay them, so good bye Davey W....hopefully alot of owners release their coaches though and no one signs anywhere until there is new CBA in place

bottom line, missed season = lots more talent on this bills roster

no clue how draft order would be determined....lottery would probably be the only fair way, unless they just keep same draft positions for two straight years (which id doubt)

That probably has not been determined.

Gotcha, I was just wondering if there was some kind of precedent. What did baseball do w/the draft when tehre was a lockout in 1994(?)..I can't seem to recall.

honestly thats probably a best case scenario for the bills, let them add two years worth of college talent to overhaul the currentyl talent LESS roster (give or take MAYBE 5 guys)....as much as Id hate to miss out on the NFL....it would help our lowly bills more than we know...although cheap ralph will probably let the coaches go so he doesnt have to pay them, so good bye Davey W....hopefully alot of owners release their coaches though and no one signs anywhere until there is new CBA in place

bottom line, missed season = lots more talent on this bills roster

no clue how draft order would be determined....lottery would probably be the only fair way, unless they just keep same draft positions for two straight years (which id doubt)

Our luck the Jets would win the lottery... =/

I honestly don't think that a missed season would help out our team at all. If anything, it would hurt us. We need some of these young players to continue developing...and we'd probably get a higher pick if we played the entire season as opposed to relying on some lottery :thumbsup:

I honestly don't think that a missed season would help out our team at all. If anything, it would hurt us. We need some of these young players to continue developing...and we'd probably get a higher pick if we played the entire season as opposed to relying on some lottery :thumbsup:

what young players need to develop? you mean the bad ones? The ones who have zero talent and dont belong on NFL rosters? you are probably one of the ones who is sold on Spiller, Troup and Carrington and Moats, right? Greeeaaattt.....sounds like a strong core for a super bowl run (sarcasm), troup and carrington couldnt even crack the buffalo bills lineup until late in the year, and they didnt exactly light it up, and Moats didnt do a whole lot but showed the most promise out of them all...I realize they are rookies and will grow, but I wouldnt say any of them should be given a roster spot...two years worth of draft picks > current talent-less roster (provided we actually draft good players)

NHL after it lost a whole season did a weighted lottery system where the least successful teams over the last 5 seasons (With the last 2 seasons counting more) would get the best chance to win the top picks while it would then get drawn down the line.

For example the Bills would have one of the best chances to get a top 4 pick while the Steelers and Pats* would be weighted to have a bottom 6 pick.

what young players need to develop? you mean the bad ones? The ones who have zero talent and dont belong on NFL rosters? you are probably one of the ones who is sold on Spiller, Troup and Carrington and Moats, right? Greeeaaattt.....sounds like a strong core for a super bowl run (sarcasm), troup and carrington couldnt even crack the buffalo bills lineup until late in the year, and they didnt exactly light it up, and Moats didnt do a whole lot but showed the most promise out of them all...I realize they are rookies and will grow, but I wouldnt say any of them should be given a roster spot...two years worth of draft picks > current talent-less roster (provided we actually draft good players)

DL don't normally come into the NFL and dominate from day 1, especially DL like Troup and Carrington who weren't even selected in the 1st round...what would you rather do? Keep on drafting players in the 2nd and 3rd round and keep replacing them year after year? Sometimes it takes time, and nobody on here can dismiss these two players as wasted picks...both will probably see considerable starting time this season. Also, lets see what Wang can do this season in camp and preseason after being behind the eight ball most of the year last year due to injury.

NHL after it lost a whole season did a weighted lottery system where the least successful teams over the last 5 seasons (With the last 2 seasons counting more) would get the best chance to win the top picks while it would then get drawn down the line.

For example the Bills would have one of the best chances to get a top 4 pick while the Steelers and Pats* would be weighted to have a bottom 6 pick.

Gotcha, thanks. That makes the most sense I guess.

I just don't see a missed season in the equation. Too much for the league to lose and they're the ones in power -ie: Scab football. WFL+. There's history here and players will cross lines to play. I think we can count on a season like '87 at a minimum. JMO

I just don't see a missed season in the equation. Too much for the league to lose and they're the ones in power -ie: Scab football. WFL+. There's history here and players will cross lines to play. I think we can count on a season like '87 at a minimum. JMO

Agree, once players miss their 1st game check you will see a deal done.

I don't see a lockout as necessarily a bad thing. Yeah it would be great to see another top 5 Pick here. The weighed lottery would be the way to go in 2012. Heck, we could use the first ten picks in any draft, or get 10 first rounders and trade em for established talent. We've been horrible with first round picks for a better part of a decade. We have no 1st rounder who is an all-pro on this team in over ten drafts. That's horrible drafting and makes me question the whole operation. Only bad thing I see, is us fans not being able to watch Football.

There's wayyyy to much money at stake for all parties involved. Eventually, an agreement will be reached. I think sooner than later. There's far more money (to be lost) for players today than there were back in '82 or '87.

Also, I think there's a wider gap between the haves and have nots these days - meaning a greater percentage of lower paid players willing to cross the lines or give in more quickly to management, thereby compromising solidarity.

Would someone who's smarter than me about these things (labor issues) help me understand something - since this is an industry in which the primary workers (NFL players) negotiate individual contracts with a wide range of salaries, years of commitment, bonuses, etc....why is a union such a necessary part of the league? These guys are all paid well enough to be able to afford decent health benefits for their families. A large number of them will make more money before they're 28 years old than many of us will make up to age 65.

I guess I'm wondering why retirement packages, insurance, and everything else aren't part of the negotiated individual service contracts, although salaries are.

Edited by DML2005