Songs that Affected You on an Emotional Level

ajzepp

I've made mention of an artist named Amos Lee in some of the other music threads that come and go on the board. I first came across his stuff while watching a movie back in 2006 and I've been a huge fan ever since. Anyway, I've really been looking forward to his latest album, "Mission Bell", which just came out last month. I was giving it a first listen while driving home from work a week ago when I found myself really being affected by one of the tracks. The song is called Violin and it's very beautiful, but my reaction to it really caught me off guard.

It just got me to thinking about times in the past when I heard a song that really affected me in some way, whether it made me sad, made me think, got me fired up and motivated, etc, etc. I was wondering about some of your experiences with this sort of thing. What songs have you heard that affected you on an emotional level?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As strange as it sounds, and I have mentioned it before, a song that effects me is Heart- These Dreams. I think it is tied to my childhood, it was popular around the time I first started forming memories, when I was 2 almost 3. My parents were going through problems and argued a lot and we moved to an apartment for a while. Things were pretty rough, I do not know if there is more to it or not, but every time I hear the song it does something to me.

Another one is Chet Atkins - Vincent. It mellows me out as much as anything and is one of the most beautiful forms of sound I have ever heard.

As strange as it sounds, and I have mentioned it before, a song that effects me is Heart- These Dreams. I think it is tied to my childhood, it was popular around the time I first started forming memories, when I was 2 almost 3. My parents were going through problems and argued a lot and we moved to an apartment for a while. Things were pretty rough, I do not know if there is more to it or not, but every time I hear the song it does something to me.

Another one is Chet Atkins - Vincent. It mellows me out as much as anything and is one of the most beautiful forms of sound I have ever heard.

I can see why you like this!

That's pretty deep about the Heart song, my friend...that must have been very tough on you :(

A great cover of Leonard Cohen. If you've been divorced....

BC has an amazing voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBjeaz6qyt4&feature=related

Sting's "(We'll Walk in) Fields of Gold" --- the Eva Cassidy version especially --- always gets me. The extended title is carved on my dog's headstone where we buried him on the woodlot.

Edited by UConn James

I was going to give my typical smart ass response but you are all being so brutally honest that I just can't do it.

Dancing Queen...gets me every time!

Actually...Amazing Grace chokes me up in a big way even if it's just a bagpipe rendition. The Star Spangled Banner when sung 'properly' brings a tear to my eyes.

Wonderful Tonight...Clapton

Digital Underground: The Humpty Dance.

No f'n way. That's the first song that came to my mind. eerie.

For getting pumped up, after all these years Eye of the Tiger still does it for me.

"Good Feeling" by the Violent Femmes gives me a feeling of serenity

To rage "Rise" by Pantera is awesome

And if I want to get sentimental "I Can't Reach Her Anymore" by Sammy Kershaw or "Good Bye" by the Spice Girls (!@#$ you guys, it's a good song)

Edit: Crayonz mentioned Gordon Lightfoot which reminded me "If You Could Read My Mind" definitely deserves a spot on the sentimental list.

Edited by Rob's House

Is this thread really happing *watches slo-mo car wreck*

Chicks who start "How much tupperware do you have?" threads shouldn't throw stones.

see what happens when you're mean to others? Show us your softer side...what song gets you every time?

Don't you mean "see what happs..."? :w00t:

As strange as it sounds, and I have mentioned it before, a song that effects me is Heart- These Dreams.

Good song.

The first time I heard Motley Crue's "Without You", I threw the radio out a third-floor window. I'd say that counts as "affecting me on an emotional level."