My Top 5, revised

Justice

I respect Mike Mayock's knowledge of college prospects, immensely, he now has Quinn as a possible 1st overall pick and after doing some research on the guy I can't say I disagree. So here is my new top 5 wish list for the 3rd overall pick:

1. Quinn

2. Bowers

3. Fairley

4. Dareus

5. AJ Green

Obviously 3 out of the 5 players listed here will be available to the Bills and I would not be disappointed if we chose any one of these guys, especially my top 3.

1. If the Bills were to land Quinn, we can still run a hybrid 34 or 43 defense, with Quinn lining up at OLB in the 34 or DE in the 43. I would love to see this happen especially if we draft a Taylor or Austin in the 2nd round. Our defense would be sick.

2. If we draft Bowers, we will have to commit to the 34. In this scenario, I'd like to see the Bills sign Rogers to man the nose tackle position. Bowers, Rogers and Williams at DE would make a pretty good line. If this were to happen I'd like to see the Bills draft a linebacker with our second rounder, such as Martez Wilson.

3. Fairley. I believe Fairley can be a DE in the 34 and a DT in the 43. WE can still be a hybrid defense. If this were to happen, I'd love to see the Bills draft Allen Bailey, DE, out of Miami, in the second.

4. Dareus. See Fairley #3.

5. AJ Green. Not a huge need, here, but I believe AJ is probably the best, most sure fire prospect in the entire 2011 draft. If we were to draft Green in the first, the Bills can then go for the BPA on defense in the second round.

Have at it!

the crazy thing will be if green stays put as #1 talent, cam and quinn could move ahead of fairley, bowers and fairley as a toss up.... fairley could still slide to 5 ranked talent before all is said and done. if 2 qbs go in the top 5 (ie cam 1 or 3, and gabbert to arizona) he, or peterson could slide pretty far in a mock for guys that were "obviously top 3" just weeks ago, along with guys like dareus and miller.... just so far from settled at this point.

Edited by NoSaint

April 28th can't get here fast enough. I'd be happy with any of these five and no QB picked at #3. I think the QB's in this draft are way too high risk. I do think people should remember the name Ricky Stanzi and wouldn't mind picking him up 4th or 5th round. His size and accuracy are impressive IMHO. I also hope huge NT Phil Taylor is there at #34.

I respect Mike Mayock's knowledge of college prospects, immensely, he now has Quinn as a possible 1st overall pick and after doing some research on the guy I can't say I disagree. So here is my new top 5 wish list for the 3rd overall pick:

1. Quinn

2. Bowers

3. Fairley

4. Dareus

5. AJ Green

5. AJ Green. Not a huge need, here, but I believe AJ is probably the best, most sure fire prospect in the entire 2011 draft. If we were to draft Green in the first, the Bills can then go for the BPA on defense in the second round.

Have at it!

What you say abuot Green sounds deceptively familiar to what I heard about Spiller after we picked him last year and at least for last year that did not work out very well. The Green pick would be the worst scenario in my opinion as the Bills once again would be drafting into the #1 strength of the team, just like last year.

A QB can't throw to a "sure fire prospect" when he is on this back or running for his life and a QB also can't throw to a "sure fire prospect" when his defense can't get off the field because they give up over 170 yards a game rushing.

I want defense for the #1 pick.

1. Quinn

2. Bowers

3. Fairley

4. Dareus

5. AJ Green

Obviously 3 out of the 5 players listed here will be available to the Bills and I would not be disappointed if we chose any one of these guys, especially my top 3.

1. If the Bills were to land Quinn, we can still run a hybrid 34 or 43 defense, with Quinn lining up at OLB in the 34 or DE in the 43. I would love to see this happen especially if we draft a Taylor or Austin in the 2nd round. Our defense would be sick.

2. If we draft Bowers, we will have to commit to the 34. In this scenario, I'd like to see the Bills sign Rogers to man the nose tackle position. Bowers, Rogers and Williams at DE would make a pretty good line. If this were to happen I'd like to see the Bills draft a linebacker with our second rounder, such as Martez Wilson.

3. Fairley. I believe Fairley can be a DE in the 34 and a DT in the 43. WE can still be a hybrid defense. If this were to happen, I'd love to see the Bills draft Allen Bailey, DE, out of Miami, in the second.

4. Dareus. See Fairley #3.

Have at it!

This team needs so much and they can't afford to screw up another draft! I want the best run stuffer on the board and the best linebacker remaining on the board in the second round..

What you say abuot Green sounds deceptively familiar to what I heard about Spiller after we picked him last year and at least for last year that did not work out very well. The Green pick would be the worst scenario in my opinion as the Bills once again would be drafting into the #1 strength of the team, just like last year.

A QB can't throw to a "sure fire prospect" when he is on this back or running for his life and a QB also can't throw to a "sure fire prospect" when his defense can't get off the field because they give up over 170 yards a game rushing.

Spiller can still be the threat everyone envisioned that he might be. The book isn't closed on that one, just yet.

AJ Green is a great player and you can't have too many of those. He's my fifth choice because WR isn't a major need. If it were, I'd have him much higher.

AJ Green is a great player and you can't have too many of those. He's my fifth choice because WR isn't a major need. If it were, I'd have him much higher.

The thing is, even if Green was as good as Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, or Calvin Johnson, or any wide receiver in this league for that matter, I wouldn't want to see us draft him.

I simply don't view wide receiver as a critical position in the excellence of a football team. Brady won a Super Bowl throwing to guys like David Patten, David Givens, and Deion Branch.

As others have put it, no position is more dependent upon other positions for success than wide receiver. There's a reason that receivers are not typically drafted highly.

IMO, Green will slide down to where he will be such a great value that some team will be compelled to draft him. But not in the top five.

The thing is, even if Green was as good as Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, or Calvin Johnson, or any wide receiver in this league for that matter, I wouldn't want to see us draft him.

I simply don't view wide receiver as a critical position in the excellence of a football team. Brady won a Super Bowl throwing to guys like David Patten, David Givens, and Deion Branch.

As others have put it, no position is more dependent upon other positions for success than wide receiver. There's a reason that receivers are not typically drafted highly.

IMO, Green will slide down to where he will be such a great value that some team will be compelled to draft him. But not in the top five.

You make some very good points, but outside of my top 4, I really can't find someone I like better than AJ Green. Who would you put ahead of Green? Cam Newton? Cam Jordan? JJ Watt?

You make some very good points, but outside of my top 4, I really can't find someone I like better than AJ Green. Who would you put ahead of Green? Cam Newton? Cam Jordan? JJ Watt?

My top players right now (and it's early…maybe too early) are no particular order, Dareus, Fairley, Quinn, and Von Miller. I don't like Bowers.

I'm still mulling over Cam Newton. I was warming up to him but was really put off by his comments yesterday:

"I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon," Newton said as noted by Sports Illustrated's Peter King during a phone call he had with the quarterback.

That sort of talk really hits me the wrong way.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I like Von Miller, as well, but his size is a major concern, if you ask me.

My top players right now (and it's early…maybe too early) are no particular order, Dareus, Fairley, Quinn, and Von Miller. I don't like Bowers.

I'm still mulling over Cam Newton. I was warming up to him but was really put off by his comments yesterday:

"I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon," Newton said as noted by Sports Illustrated's Peter King during a phone call he had with the quarterback.

Cam's comments really didn't bother me much. What worries me about Newton is the one read and run offense he ran at Auburn. That really scares me.

I'm with you on that. This guy has "Prima Donna" written all over him. Hasn't played one down in the NFL and he wants to be an icon already?

How about being an "NFL quarterback" first?

Pass.

Edited by DrFishfinder

I'm with you on that. This guy has "Prima Donna" written all over him. Hasn't played one down in the NFL and he wants to be an icon already?

How about being an "NFL quarterback" first?

Pass.

So you don't want him because he wants to be an icon? So does Albert pujols...

If we draft Bowers, we will have to commit to the 34.

I believe AJ is probably the best, most sure fire prospect in the entire 2011 draft. If we were to draft Green in the first, the Bills can then go for the BPA on defense in the second round.

You mean the 4-3 for bowers? I don't see him fitting in as a 3-4 end as much as a 4-3 end.

We need great football players in this draft (and every). If that guy is on defense, or it is a toss up, sure. But passing on better offensive players or skill players because of a need is a vicious cycle that leads to a mediocre roster and more needs.

This team needs so much and they can't afford to screw up another draft! I want the best run stuffer on the board and the best linebacker remaining on the board in the second round..

If this team needs so much, then try to get the best player, and not screw up another draft by positional need instead of the top football players.

I think AJ Green is a little overrated right now, and the impact of a great WR is less than a great QB or great LB or great DE. In my mind in the current NFL it is harder for a talented WR to be a difference maker than other positions, and he bar is higher in terms of relative positional talent to actually be the BPA. I think he will be an excellent player, but I don't think he will prove to be the best player in this draft over the next five years. If he isn't the BPA by a clear margin, I don't even remotely consider reaching for a WR.

It is similar to the Spiller situation last year, except Spiller was widely considered the BPA and played a position where generally you get more of a contribution as a rookie and over five years.

I'm happy to have Quinn or Newton erase enough of the question marks, or Green or Prince A. prove to be BPA by a big distance, but if that doesn't happen, I'm most interested in Fairley/Dareus/Bowers, and think Dareus is the most likely with one of the other two being off the board if not both. But I've said since the week after the championship game, I think Fairley's stock will fall before the draft, and he will not be #1, so if Denver passes too, I would be very happy with him.

• 4 weeks later...

Green's poor score on the Wonderlic (not sure if I spelled that right) in my book lowers his draft position to the 15 -20 area. You can have all natural talent in the world but what good is it if you can understand a NFL play book?

Green's poor score on the Wonderlic (not sure if I spelled that right) in my book lowers his draft position to the 15 -20 area. You can have all natural talent in the world but what good is it if you can understand a NFL play book?

Green, IMO, is one of the most polished WR prospects to come out in a long time. Don't put too much stock in his Wonderlic score. He is an incredible route runner, has tremendous hands, pretty good speed, and has produced against top competition in the NCAA. He will be just fine.