Which Bills 1st round draft pick had you jumping for JOY?

major

Eric Wood was a pick I loved but unfortunately the pick above him I had such a sinking feeling about. I was wishing that we would take Orakpo (I never thought he would fall to us at 11) or Oher. I kept hearing that Oher would be there at 11 and Orakpo wouldn't so my wish at the time was Orakpo if he was there and Oher as the backup pick. When both were there I told myself I would be Ok with either then the Maybin pick happened and I didn't like it at all.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will add before I go to bed, the 2006 draft was particularly fun. I was at my brothers wedding and found the bartender. I asked him if he had any knowledge of the draft. He came out later and got me the first 3 or 4 picks, then the next two or three. Eventually he said "The Bills got some guy named Whitner," and gave me the list. It was a good memory, one I will never forget. I did not think it was a bad pick at the time, I was, in fact somewhat excited that we had a hard hitting exciting player but did not expect much from him that first year.

i was 100% sure goodell was gonna say with the 11th pick the buffalo bills select..brian orakpo i was doing a dumbass dance and called a buddy to say how stoked i was and i was on the phone as he read maybins name.i felt like i got punched in the stomach. then i convinced myself he was the next jason taylor.then he held out of camp foreverand i got the feeling again. then i saw him get rag dolled by the bills practice squad and the feeling came back. its never left me when i hear his name.

i liked the spiller pick as the BPA. but knew he wasnt exactly what we needed.

i wonder how losman would do under chan gailey.

Wow did the McGahee pick blow my mind, an injured RB when we had a 2 year 1000 yard incumbant starter in Henry. Nonsense.

I was happy with Wood.

Some like McCargo were so mind-numblingly crazy (trading up to get a guy you could have gotten, without trading up!) that is makes you wonder if the fix was in....

Edited by zazie

Wow did the McGahee pick blow my mind, an injured RB when we had a 2 year 1000 yard incumbant starter in Henry. Nonsense.

I was happy with Wood.

Some like McCargo were so mind-numblingly crazy (trading up to get a guy you could have gotten, without trading up!) that is makes you wonder if the fix was in....

I was happy with Moulds and Ruben Brown.

The Whitner pick defines idiocy. The McKelvin pick was just about as stupid and picking Spiller at #9 was right up there in terms of being a waste of precious resources.

The last 1st round pick that had me jumping for joy was Lee Evans.

I did'nt hate the pick of Donte Whitner, but I felt puzzled by that pick.

Last 1st rounder to make me mad was Aaron Maybin. Ironically, I was thrilled by the rest of that year's draft. The selection of Eric Wood helped ease the pain, and I literally jumped for joy when we picked Andy Levitre.

We share alot of the same reasoning. I was pissed however we Took Whitner over Ngata. I thought we would def draft Ngata. That kinda erked me.

At first I wasn't upset with the Maybin pick. He was projected in the top 20. I'd love to go back to the 09 fantasy draft guides and see for sure where he was projected. I think he was pretty highly rated. But then once we drafted and I heard Jauron talking about him, how he was a situational pass rusher, I thought, oh Great, Erik Flowers 2.0. That was the most bone headed pick ever. When you draft 10th overall, the damn guy better be on the field making a difference!!!!

Same with This year's Draft. #3 guy better be an immediate difference maker. Buddy You're on the clock, you better get it right!!!

Igotta go Bruce Smith and OJ Simpson as the two picks that made me jump for joy. From the get go they were not only the number one overall pick in the draft by far and away the best in the draft. The "oh no" picks would be Maybin over Oher and Spiller. Spiller may still be quite good but he was not what was needed.

I was very excited to see this team pick CJ Spiller, and did not see it as a luxury pick. My definition of a luxury pick is when you have 2 pro bowl, or elite players ahead of the player selected at a skill position, and the Bills had neither. What they had at the time of the pick was a 1st round bust who wanted out, and a 29 year old over-achiever who is very, very good, but cannot last forever.

I'm sure Spiller's performance last year will make everyone doubt his ability, but I simply don't, and see him as part of the future of the team.

Loved: Moulds, Henry Jones

WTF: Whitner. Like many here i figured (and hoped) Ngata was the obvious pick.

Vomit: Maybin. Hated this pick from the get go. I hated it from the time the Bills started talking about him in '09.

Think back to your favorite draft day. What 1st round BILLS pick got you the most excited? My first thought went to Thurman Thomas, but I remembered that he was a 2nd round pick, not a first rounder. Taking Thurman out of the equation, the 1st round draft pick that had me jumping for JOY was when we drafted Willis McGahee. I thought he was the next coming of Barry Sanders. My bad!

The first round pick that made me want to VOMIT is a three way tie between Donte Whitner, Aaron Maybin, & Erick Flowers. When we took them my first reaction was "WHAT?????"

I look forward to hearing your draft day stories.

On a side note, the first round pick that I really wanted to succeed was either Antowian Smith or JP Losman.

OJ Simpson - He was a sure thing just like a couple of girls I dated.

Willis Magahee- He was a sure thing.

Richie Lucas - His Name sounded like a future hall of famer and I was very young and dumb! And his name sounded like a sure thing...

What changed?

I got married, she was a sure thing! I am not young any longer!

Edited by Trader

Loved: Moulds, Henry Jones

WTF: Whitner. Like many here i figured (and hoped) Ngata was the obvious pick.

Vomit: Maybin. Hated this pick from the get go. I hated it from the time the Bills started talking about him in '09.

McKelvin was an awful selection as well imo. There were some VERY good players left. My particular favorite was Branden Albert, but there were several others who were also better players than McKelvin.

McGahee had me jumping for joy. I thought we got the crazy talented guy we saw in Miami.

I'll never forget Donte, I was utterly stunned. The pick came from no where.

Same here on McGahee, and seeing him come back from such a horrific knee injury is still something that makes me happy regardless of how everything turned out here in Buffalo.

McKelvin was an awful selection as well imo. There were some VERY good players left. My particular favorite was Branden Albert, but there were several others who were also better players than McKelvin.

the McKelvin pick wasn't bad in a sense of where/when he was drafted. A lot of people were projecting him as a top 10 pick. If we needed a CB, i think McKelvin would have been a good pick.

The bigger problem is that we should have simply re-signed Greer (who did not sign a very expensive contract) and not even had to draft McKelvin, and as you alluded to, we could have used that pick elsewhere.