Wonderlic test

Helpmenow

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CJ got a nice score of ten. Wonder why he can't get on the field. Bleacher report.com

All you have to do is go back and watch the film (for when he was actually on the field) and count the number of times that the QB had to point him in the right direction. This went on all season long, not just the first couple games. I hope he's putting in some serious study time so that the team can actually use him in the way that Gailey envisioned when he was drafted.

Here's a link

Sounded about right to Buddy.

As someone who had done a lo of reading on the Wonderlic, my opinion, and that of people in football, is that the Wonderlic scores for RBs is probably has the least relevancy to any position. RB is about talent and vision and reaction. A lot of very good RBs have poor Wonderlics. I'm not saying Spiller is smart, I'm saying its not very relevant. Sure, he needs to learn some things and get better and realize he's not going to outrun everyone, but that's part of the jump to the NFL.

Chris Johnson has a 10 on his first try but miraculously had a 25 on his second (like JP Losman, you can coach them to memorize and them retake the test but the initial score is always more in line with reality). His pre-draft scouting reports questioned his work in the classroom so the 10 seems to back that up. Does Chris Johnson suck? Nope.

By the way, 20 is considered average intelligence. Adrian Peterson got a 16, well below average as well. Does he suck?

Don't cherry pick stupid stats and reports to attempt to make a point unless you can adequately explain them and futher back them up. Nothing worse than saying "CJ got a 10, no wonder he sucks" and then not follow it with any proof that the 10 has specific meaning for RBs. It's even particularly laughable when simple comparisons using Wonderlic scores shows that it's not all that relevant considering his peers.

FAIL

Edited by zonabb

All you have to do is go back and watch the film (for when he was actually on the field) and count the number of times that the QB had to point him in the right direction. This went on all season long, not just the first couple games. I hope he's putting in some serious study time so that the team can actually use him in the way that Gailey envisioned when he was drafted.

Here's a link

If you do the wonderlic test with dyslexia you do pretty poorly too

As someone who had done a lo of reading on the Wonderlic, my opinion, and that of people in football, is that the Wonderlic scores for RBs is probably has the least relevancy to any position. RB is about talent and vision and reaction. A lot of very good RBs have poor Wonderlics. I'm not saying Spiller is smart, I'm saying its not very relevant. Sure, he needs to learn some things and get better and realize he's not going to outrun everyone, but that's part of the jump to the NFL.

Chris Johnson has a 10 on his first try but miraculously had a 25 on his second (like JP Losman, you can coach them to memorize and them retake the test but the initial score is always more in line with reality). His pre-draft scouting reports questioned his work in the classroom so the 10 seems to back that up. Does Chris Johnson suck? Nope.

By the way, 20 is considered average intelligence. Adrian Peterson got a 16, well below average as well. Does he suck?

Don't cherry pick stupid stats and reports to attempt to make a point unless you can adequately explain them and futher back them up. Nothing worse than saying "CJ got a 10, no wonder he sucks" and then not follow it with any proof that the 10 has specific meaning for RBs.

FAIL

Oh, you wanted some stats? How about these:

Peterson had over 1300 yards (9 starts) his rookie year. Johnson had 1228. Hmm-yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe the wonderlic is irrelevant. Maybe you also have to be a very good RB to make the transition. You win.

But, as Beerball points out, this kid had to be told what to do in the huddle. Didn't see that for Johnson, Blount, Peterson, etc.

Maybe Spiller's handicap is that he isn't actually a very good RB.

CJ got a nice score of ten. Wonder why he can't get on the field. Bleacher report.com

Spiller's ineptness points to the heart of the problem with Bills talent evaluators

The big hype regarding Spiller before the draft was that he had over a 3.5 GPA so he would not be a learning liability and could prodcue quickly

But obviously the Bills scouts did little more research on Spiller than reading about his GPA in Kiper's magazine to ascertain his intelligence and ability to transition to the NFL.

This was the 8th pick in the draft and a player who the Bills have admiited was at the top of their board - yet they did nothing to vet the player to determine his ability to play in the NFL. HIs performance and inability to even grasp the play calls is mind boggling. What kind of detail are they doing on players farther down the board?

and this was after Buddy revamped the scouts and applied his "expertise"

Can't wait to see what they do with the 3rd pick overall

I agree that RB is more athleticism then intelligence. Obviously, you want both. My concern with a 10 is that it is lower than you would expect to get by filling "c" for every answer. At a score like that, you might be illiterate. I dont mean that to be funny either. At the very least he is a terrible test taker - and you would hope that knowing he would have been taking the test, he might've prepared some.

Oh, you wanted some stats? How about these:

Peterson had over 1300 yards (9 starts) his rookie year. Johnson had 1228. Hmm-yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe the wonderlic is irrelevant. Maybe you also have to be a very good RB to make the transition. You win.

But, as Beerball points out, this kid had to be told what to do in the huddle. Didn't see that for Johnson, Blount, Peterson, etc.

Maybe Spiller's handicap is that he isn't actually a very good RB.

The guy is a poor man's and smaller version Reggie Bush. He'll never justify the high 1st round selection. Don't blame him...blame Nix(who's wonderlic score is probably a 12 incidentally).

Spiller's ineptness points to the heart of the problem with Bills talent evaluators

The big hype regarding Spiller before the draft was that he had over a 3.5 GPA so he would not be a learning liability and could prodcue quickly

But obviously the Bills scouts did little more research on Spiller than reading about his GPA in Kiper's magazine to ascertain his intelligence and ability to transition to the NFL.

This was the 8th pick in the draft and a player who the Bills have admiited was at the top of their board - yet they did nothing to vet the player to determine his ability to play in the NFL. HIs performance and inability to even grasp the play calls is mind boggling. What kind of detail are they doing on players farther down the board?

and this was after Buddy revamped the scouts and applied his "expertise"

Can't wait to see what they do with the 3rd pick overall

You wonder what Henry, Mcgahee and Lynch all got with the test. They weren't model citizens. I think it helps when you get a better score.

To put one more (meaningless?) log on the fire, Leodis McKelvin scored a 13.

Vince Young scored a 6 his first time

win loss record as a starter 30-17, and thats a QB

Wonderlic scores are way overrated in my opinion. Athleticism and being mentally tough under pressure trumps wonderlic

Fitz aced the wonderlic(or could have) whats that got us?

Edited by Fig Newton

Wonderlic scores are way overrated in my opinion. Athleticism and being mentally tough under pressure trumps wonderlic

Word is that score was made up- just saying

A cerebral quarterback who took a no name offensive line and always had them in the correct protections so they were able to give some semblance of decent pass blocking?

A cerebral quarterback who took a bunch of rookie wide receivers and managed to get them all on the same page?

A cerebral quarterback who was able to make his reads quickly and get rid of the ball on time to avoid unnecessary sacks?

Yeah. I thought so.

Nothing against Vince Young. Certainly teams will be interested when the Titans actually release him. But Fitz did a very good job last year for us and will do so again this year.