• Blaine Gabbert, Missouri.
    • Ryan Mallett, Arkanas.
    • Jake Locker, Washington.
    • Christian Ponder, Florida ST.
    • Andy Dalton, TCU.
    • Colin Kaepernick, Nevada.
    • Other.
  2. 2. What round do you take a QB?

"ponder is Fitz"....you should apply for a position with the bills FO if you know this. You're obviously extremely gifted in the scouting dept, something we need help with.

I'll take my crack at it:

Robert Quinn is Vernon Gholston

Stephen Paea is Junior Siavii

Colin Capernick is Josh Johnson

Chris White is Brandon Spoon

What a draft that would be huh? We'd be a shoo in for the playoffs.

Btw, ponder has a much stronger arm than Fitz. No comparison

Actually, Ponder is widely criticized for having "merely average" arm strength. Another criticism is that he struggles throwing the deep ball. Fitz is no Randall Cunningham, but he has better arm strength than Ponder.

Linky

This is just one scouting report...do some research.

"poor man's Chad Pennington" :sick:

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"ponder is Fitz"....you should apply for a position with the bills FO if you know this. You're obviously extremely gifted in the scouting dept, something we need help with.

I'll take my crack at it:

Robert Quinn is Vernon Gholston

Stephen Paea is Junior Siavii

Colin Capernick is Josh Johnson

Chris White is Brandon Spoon

What a draft that would be huh? We'd be a shoo in for the playoffs.

Btw, ponder has a much stronger arm than Fitz. No comparison

Yeah I should, they could use some more scouts up there :nana:

Lets try this again

1. Quinn is Peppers

2. Paea is Ngata

3. Caepernick is vick (but less athletic)

4. White is Shane Conlan

Man that draft would rule,we'd finally make the playoffs.

Btw Ponder sucks and will be a career backup.

Actually, Ponder is widely criticized for having "merely average" arm strength. Another criticism is that he struggles throwing the deep ball. Fitz is no Randall Cunningham, but he has better arm strength than Ponder.

Linky

Thanks Johnny :thumbsup:

i like Gabbert, Mallet, Kaepernick... in that order. Gabbert and mallet could swap for me. However, defense first, then o-line, then a QB. Fitz is a lot better than a few QBs we saw in the playoffs.

Edited by markgbe

I went with other as I want Luck next year.

That doesnt mean I want us to go 0-16, just that I want us to do whatever it takes to get him. I think he could be as good as Rogers.

Ie, giving up every draft pick, plus next years first.

Yeah I should, they could use some more scouts up there :nana:

Lets try this again

1. Quinn is Peppers

2. Paea is Ngata

3. Caepernick is vick (but less athletic)

4. White is Shane Conlan

Man that draft would rule,we'd finally make the playoffs.

Btw Ponder sucks and will be a career backup.

Thanks Johnny :thumbsup:

What an awesome draft. We get Vick in the 3rd

And ngata in the 2nd. Hell, even conlan in the 4th is amazing! I'm so glad our FO is so much smarter than the rest of the league, thanks to you. Quinn = peppers....lol.

Linky

So to get this straight. You say Ponder has average athleticism and an average arm. Yet you link a scouting website that says Ponder has above average athleticism to try and prove your point about arm strength. You're basically contradicting 50% of your argument against Ponder.

I said other and other. If I'm taking a QB at 3, he's gotta be able to start right out of the shoot. Otherwise we're taking another guy that can't help us with a high pick , ala Spiller. Like Jim Kelly (happy birthday by the way) I want someone who can come and contribute and make the bills a better team on opening day.

Build up D and Oline, then find a QB.

So to get this straight. You say Ponder has average athleticism and an average arm. Yet you link a scouting website that says Ponder has above average athleticism to try and prove your point about arm strength. You're basically contradicting 50% of your argument against Ponder.

Whatever dude.

So he may possess "above average" athleticism. What does that mean exactly? So...essentially he is more athletic than a guy like Ryan Mallett, but less athletic than a guy like Cam Newton. The same thing could be said about Fitz....big freakin deal!! My overall point here is....Ponder would not be an upgrade over Fitz, so there is no way I would draft him in rounds 1-3. I don't even think he brings a better skill set than Brian Brohm. That's my opinion.

Whatever dude.

So he may possess "above average" athleticism. What does that mean exactly? So...essentially he is more athletic than a guy like Ryan Mallett, but less athletic than a guy like Cam Newton. The same thing could be said about Fitz....big freakin deal!! My overall point here is....Ponder would not be an upgrade over Fitz, so there is no way I would draft him in rounds 1-3. I don't even think he brings a better skill set than Brian Brohm. That's my opinion.

Thats your opinion. Yes

Can you say Vince Young? Cam will not be an NFL elite QB, he has skill, but no smarts.

And how do you know he has no smarts please elaborate? with facts...(this should be good)..

I mean the guy has only lost one game in 2 years (JUCO or not its still football). I mean it's not a Harvard degree but from a football point of view you have to be pretty smart to do that. I'm just saying! But I'm anxious to hear how you say he's not smart...

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

Linky

Thanks for the link. You mentioned that the report stated that Ponder had "merely average" arm strength. Joe Montana lasted until the third round largely because he lacked a big-time arm. The point isn't that every QB with merely average arm strength is the next Joe Montana--it's that arm strength is overrated.

Since you pointed out one of the negatives the report mentioned, let's look at the positives:

Christian Ponder, from your link.

• Extremely smart with a high football IQ

• Good throwing mechanics and a quick release

• Very accurate with terrific touch and timing

• Nice footwork and able to buy time in the pocket

• Decent mobility and can make plays with feet

• Is accustomed to working from under center

• Can read a defense and go through progressions

• Hard working, tough, mature and a team leader

• Lots of experience against top-notch competition

"Very accurate with terrific touch and timing" makes him a significant upgrade over Fitz, at least in that one very important aspect of the game. A QB's accuracy, football intelligence, ability to read defenses, and dedication to the game are all pivotal to his success. Ponder seems to have all these traits. He has a few more question marks than Andrew Luck, which is why Luck will be taken first overall, and Ponder may last until the second round. But of the quarterbacks in this year's draft, Ponder has the best chance to be successful at the next level. Given that the Bills are very unlikely to have the first overall pick in the 2012 draft (the Andrew Luck pick), I believe Ponder represents our best opportunity to address the QB position over the next two years.

Thanks for the link. You mentioned that the report stated that Ponder had "merely average" arm strength. Joe Montana lasted until the third round largely because he lacked a big-time arm. The point isn't that every QB with merely average arm strength is the next Joe Montana--it's that arm strength is overrated.

Since you pointed out one of the negatives the report mentioned, let's look at the positives:

Christian Ponder, from your link.

• Extremely smart with a high football IQ

• Good throwing mechanics and a quick release

• Very accurate with terrific touch and timing

• Nice footwork and able to buy time in the pocket

• Decent mobility and can make plays with feet

• Is accustomed to working from under center

• Can read a defense and go through progressions

• Hard working, tough, mature and a team leader

• Lots of experience against top-notch competition

"Very accurate with terrific touch and timing" makes him a significant upgrade over Fitz, at least in that one very important aspect of the game. A QB's accuracy, football intelligence, ability to read defenses, and dedication to the game are all pivotal to his success. Ponder seems to have all these traits. He has a few more question marks than Andrew Luck, which is why Luck will be taken first overall, and Ponder may last until the second round. But of the quarterbacks in this year's draft, Ponder has the best chance to be successful at the next level. Given that the Bills are very unlikely to have the first overall pick in the 2012 draft (the Andrew Luck pick), I believe Ponder represents our best opportunity to address the QB position over the next two years.

I agree with you in that having "elite" arm strength is an overrated quality when used solely to evaluate NFL QB's. Certainly, there are many more factors that play into the equation such as intelligence, accuracy, ability to read a defense, etc... I will say, however, that it is beneficial for QB's who plays in Buffalo to have at least above average arm strength. For much of the season, they will be playing in cold, windy conditions that are difficult to throw in if you don't have sufficient arm strength.

I am not completely dismissing Ponder. I like a lot of what he has to offer. I just wonder when it's -10 degrees and the swirling winds of Ralph Wilson Stadium are blowing 20-30 mph....will he still have the same "terrific touch" and accuracy? Furthermore, will he be able to throw a 15-20 yard out pattern in those conditions? There is a big difference between playing in Florida and playing in Western New York. I am just curious...what makes you think, that out of all the QB's in this draft, Ponder has the best chance to be successful at the next level?