Buddy Nix...(the old fox)

Owen

I love all the talk about Buddy being interested in Cam Newton... It appears other teams are watering at the mouth to also get him... If they think he will be gone at #3, maybe Nix can get a good trade for the pick. Bills need additional draft picks. What a better way then to say, he may pick him. He is planting seeds if you ask me...

When it comes down to the first two picks for the Bills, if no trade is possible, I believe Von Miller and Ponder are the players who will be chosen...... It is strickly a guessing game right now and everyone is right untill the draft...Go Bills

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love all the talk about Buddy being interested in Cam Newton... It appears other teams are watering at the mouth to also get him... If they think he will be gone at #3, maybe Nix can get a good trade for the pick. Bills need additional draft picks. What a better way then to say, he may pick him. He is planting seeds if you ask me...

When it comes down to the first two picks for the Bills, if no trade is possible, I believe Von Miller and Ponder are the players who will be chosen...... It is strickly a guessing game right now and everyone is right untill the draft...Go Bills

If they believe we are interested in Cam, they will speak to Denver, who could also use more picks. Buddy is not that dumb.

they openly talked about how much they liked Spiller last year and how they wanted a "waterbug" RB.

Apparently nobody believed them until they raced to the podium and picked him.

Maybe that was all part of their elaborate ruse so that team would really believe they were interested in Newton and be forced to pay a King's ransom for our pick. Or, just maybe, they like Newton and are strongly considering drafting him.

If they think he'll be gone by 3 won't another team have to trade ahead of 3 to get him? It works in that if he doesn't want Cam, and another team trades ahead of them to take Cam, pushing a player he does want to them at 3. It doesn't really increase the value of his pick.

Either way Newton is an actual trade up possibility for a teams like Cleveland. San Francisco and Tennessee imo.

No one is going to trade up to #3 for CB or WR.

Ken Whisenhunt coached up Big Ben in Pittsburgh and the threat of Cam going to Arizona could make one of those 3 teams move up. With the Palmer talk Arizona might even want to trade up to get passed Cinci.

Now we might have some interesting conversation if Nic & Chan don't love Cam themselves.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Either way Newton is an actual trade up possibility for a teams like Cleveland. San Francisco and Tennessee imo.

No one is going to trade up to #3 for CB or WR.

Ken Whisenhunt coached up Big Ben in Pittsburgh and the threat of Cam going to Arizona could make one of those 3 teams move up.

Now we might have some interesting conversation if they don't love him themselves.

Great post; I couldn't agree more!

There have only been a few teams to trade up in round 1 for a defensive back in the history of the draft, and even those occured later in the round.

Btw, I think that Cincy now fits into the mix as a team that might be willing to cough up something if they really want a particular qb.

Great post; I couldn't agree more!

There have only been a few teams to trade up in round 1 for a defensive back in the history of the draft, and even those occured later in the round.

Btw, I think that Cincy now fits into the mix as a team that might be willing to cough up something if they really want a particular qb.

couldnt disagree with you CB comment more.

did you watch the SB? the total of runs for both teams was like 28 combined. in case you havent noticed this has become a passing league and shut down corners are worth their weight in gold.

our best chance to get a team IMO to want to move up to #3 is to get a shot @ peterson I'll bet Buddy is thinking the same thing.

i simply refuse to believe that after Fairley is gone and if Nix does not want a QB @ 3 that he will be comfortable reaching for a DT,an undersized LB or overrated DE @ 3.

if we have learned one thing after last years draft and after hearing Buddy say a million times since he became our GM "we will take the best player on our board regardless of position"

i also believe that applies especially in the first round there is no way Nix is going to draft for a need and by pass a great player.

he proved that last year in Spiller and he will do it again this year,he is not going to reach for a position of need and pass on a super star because he plays a position that is not a need position for the bills.

personally i could not agree with him more you win with great talent and you cannot by pass a great player no matter what position due to a need especially in the top 5 to 10 slots.

Edited by djrocks

did you watch the SB? the total of runs for both teams was like 28 combined. in case you havent noticed this has become a passing league and shut down corners are worth their weight in gold.

our best chance to get a team IMO to want to move up to #3 is to get a shot @ peterson I'll bet Buddy is thinking the same thing.

i simply refuse to believe that after Fairley is gone and if Nix does not want a QB @ 3 that he will be comfortable reaching for a DT,an undersized LB or overrated DE @ 3.

if we have learned one thing after last years draft and after hearing Buddy say a million times since he became our GM "we will take the best player on our board regardless of position"

i also believe that applies especially in the first round there is no way Nix is going to draft for a need and by pass a great player.

he proved that last year in Spiller and he will do it again this year,he is not going to reach for a position of need and pass on a super star because he plays a position that is not a need position for the bills.

personally i could not agree with him more you win with great talent and you cannot by pass a great player no matter what position due to a need especially in the top 5 to 10 slots.

You're entitled to your incorrect opinion.

There has never been a trade up to pick a DB in the Top 5 in NFL history, There have been very few DBs taken in the top5 in NFL history for a reason.

Edited by Why So Serious?

From what I've read, I don't know that either Patrick Peterson or Prince Amakumara (sp?) are "can't miss lock down" corners.

I am just throwing this out there -- I honestly dont believe the bills have any reason to put up a smokescreen this year, unless they take cam.

as the boards sit right now.... which could change after the combine, and prodays.... if they want to stand pat at three, i dont think anyone trades ahead of them for green, peterson, dareus, or miller when they could wait for jones, prince, jordan or quinn. i think arizona deciding they want cam is the only way it happens.

i dont think anyone buys them saying "wellllll i waaaasss going to select "insert player name from above", but now that youve offered me this trade package ill let you have them instead." and i think you see very little trading that high with the restrictions on next years picks and player movement. literally 3-4 teams have the ammo to move up, and i dont see them doing it by way overpaying us for a guy we both want.

its really cincinatti and to a lesser degree arizona that is going to drive the value of our pick for a trade back. if someone thinks cincy is taking their guy, they come to us for a trade back. and i dont buy that. again, i see very few trades. not a lot of ammo out there without players or 2012 picks on the table.

i suppose my point is, unless cam is at number one on our board, can someone give me one example where the bills would really hurt themselves by announcing the top three players on there board?

not saying they should, just saying i dont expect a lot of gamesmanship with where they are sitting. if we hear "i like this guy" i think we can more or less take it as face value. might not be our pick, but i think its clear those people will be high on our board. same for "i dont like this guy"

Peterson is more CB/FS where Prince is a better CB prospect, but both are expected to be very good.

I've read there are some questions about Prince Amukamara's speed and his ability to be a "shutdown" corner.

However, that doesn’t mean he warrants a top-ten pick. Because if I am using a top-ten pick on a prospect, especially at the cornerback position, he better have some elite athletic qualities to his game and have the kind of ability to mature into a potential shutdown guy on the outside in the NFL. And in all honesty I can’t say I see any real exceptionally dynamic qualities to Amukamara’s game. He can be technically sound, but he isn’t overly physical off the line of scrimmage when asked to re-route in press. And the biggest concern is that he really has only average straight-line speed. He struggles to make up for a false step and too often will allow receivers to get behind him vertically down the field, failing to quickly get back up to speed and close out of his transition.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20110208_is_prince_amukamara_worth_a_topten_pick

It's obviously just one guys opinion, but most early rankings having him being picked #9 to Dallas at the earliest (prob #11 to Houston at the latest).