The AJ Green dilemma

1billsfan

I just don't see the Bills going for offense at least not early (said the same last year and RB???) - with all the young emerging WR talent that the Bills already have and Easley who will turn heads next year.

What the Bills need is a freakishly strong, pocket collapsing, run stuffing, QB crushing D-linemen who will force double-teams and keep our linebackers clean to make plays.

If we don't stop the run, teams are just going to continue to score on us, eat up the clock, and put our offense in a pass to catch up situation. That coupled with our offensive line woes means a long day for any QB who is taking snaps for our team regardless of where he was drafted. Fitz has a fast release and made our line look better than they are more often than not.

The Bills need to be able to get opposing teams off the field so our offense actually has more chances to use the receivers we have.

What you say is true, we do need to solidify our interior defense. The problem is drafting for need over elite players when you are picking #3 in the draft. There are 7 more picks and the Bills' 2nd round pick will have first round value. The Bills will be very sorry if they draft Dareus over Green or Peterson.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Receivers, especially in the top 10, don't win football games. It's been proven time and time again. Green is a beast but receiver is the most dependant position in all of sports. How many Sbs have TO, Moss, 85, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson combined to win? Our receivers are more than fine.

Dareus might not be as explosive of a talent as Green but his position will contribute a lot more to us winning games than adding another receiver.

Jerry Rice won 4. Michael Irvin won 3. Lynn Swann won a few. Torry Holt won 1. Art Monk won 3. Marvin Harrison won 1. Reggie Wayne won 1. Heck, even Plaxico won 1. Larry Fitzgerald almost won 1 too (7 catches for 127 yards & 2 TDs in the SB). They were all top 20 draft picks.

Jerry Rice won 4. Michael Irvin won 3. Lynn Swann won a few. Torry Holt won 1. Art Monk won 3. Marvin Harrison won 1. Reggie Wayne won 1. Heck, even Plaxico won 1. Larry Fitzgerald almost won 1 too (7 catches for 127 yards & 2 TDs in the SB). They were all top 20 draft picks.

There's something else those SB winning WR's have in common.

Hint: Larry Fitzgerald no longer has one, and his role on that team will as breastts on a bull until they get one.

There have been maybe 3 great receivers drafted (Fitz and the 2 Johnsons) in the first round top 10 (out of 17) since 2000. They are all, essentially, laboring in obscurity.

There's something else those SB winning WR's have in common.

Hint: Larry Fitzgerald no longer has one, and his role on that team will as breastts on a bull until they get one.

There have been maybe 3 great receivers drafted (Fitz and the 2 Johnsons) in the first round top 10 (out of 17) since 2000. They are all, essentially, laboring in obscurity.

Far be it from me to say that a good QB isn't completely essential. That said, good WRs can make a big difference.

What you say is true, we do need to solidify our interior defense. The problem is drafting for need over elite players when you are picking #3 in the draft. There are 7 more picks and the Bills' 2nd round pick will have first round value. The Bills will be very sorry if they draft Dareus over Green or Peterson.

I have a feeling that whoever they take will have unrealistic expectations on him...the difference between impact players rated in the 1st round just doesn't seem that great this year. No one just stands out as a clear-cut favorite.

• 3 weeks later...

It's Green by a knockout! I looked at video of both players and Jones isn't even close to the player that Green is. Green is a day one starting #1 receiver in the NFL (who has a good chance of becoming elite in his first season), Jones is a #2 NFL receiver who will take some time to even earn his starting job.

AJ Green

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632070

"Hands: Unquestionably his best attribute. Long arms, big, soft hands and excellent body control to contort and make the highlight-reel catch, including seemingly impossible one-handed grabs. Rarely allows the ball into his pads, snatching the ball out of the air and securing it quickly when he is anticipating taking a bit hit. Has proven the ability to absorb a pop and maintain control."

Julio Jones

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1623794

"Hands: Inconsistent. Drops too many passes due to a lack of concentration - usually when he's trying to make a defender miss before wrapping the ball up securely. Isn't a consistent "hands" catcher and allows too many passes into his pads, resulting in drops. Flashes the ability to extend and make the highlight-reel reception. Willing to run routes across the middle and take a big hit to make the catch."

I'd be very surprised if there weren't a few teams wanting to trade into our spot if Green is still there. Green falling is the Bills lottery ticket. However, if the trade offers are lowball offers then the Bills should pick Green and draft heavy on defense with the rest of their picks. Remember, the second rounder will be first round immediate starter quality. I could see where if we get Green, a good starting ILB and a decent DE, and Merriman comes back to form, the Bills being a contender for the AFC East title.

Now you understand how Julio Jones can be thought of as arguably better than AJ Green?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/03/question-of-the-day-whose-stock-rose-and-fell-the-most-at-the-nfl-combine.html

Now you understand how Julio Jones can be thought of as arguably better than AJ Green?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/03/question-of-the-day-whose-stock-rose-and-fell-the-most-at-the-nfl-combine.html

I really expected Julio Jones to be a workout animal what I didn't expect was AJ Green being so pedestrian, If that was the real AJ Green and he wasn't suffering from food poisoning or the flu, or a bad back etc etc then Jones goes 1 and Green could drop out of the top ten.

I really expected Julio Jones to be a workout animal what I didn't expect was AJ Green being so pedestrian, If that was the real AJ Green and he wasn't suffering from food poisoning or the flu, or a bad back etc etc then Jones goes 1 and Green could drop out of the top ten.

I would have been in favor of the Bills drafting Green if both the following were true: 1) they felt reasonably comfortable he'd play at or near a Hall of Fame level. 2) They didn't feel sure they could count on any available defensive front-7 players to play at or near the level they expected from Green.

I didn't see Green's workout myself, but if what you say is true it would significantly subtract from my comfort level about him. As far as I'm concerned, you can move a player down significantly because of a bad combine, but it's generally a mistake to elevate a player too much based on a good combine. There's more to being a good football player than just having good physical tools.

I think you go Peterson in that instance, I think they are typically rated pretty close or the same, with that in mind you'd have to go with the position of greater need. I guess it depends on how the Bills have them ranked.

Agreed. Another thing is how good is Green? Detroit drafted WR for 3 years straight. Did any of them become All Pros??? Stevie Johnson was drafted in 7th round. I say DON'T draft WR in the first round.

I think AJ Green will be a very good to great player for another NFL team. I don't think he will be the best player available when we pick (measure: expected 5 year value over replacement player). Right now I think that player is Dareus, but there are a bunch of guys who could fit. Green could be one of them, but I think he is being ranked slightly higher than his real impact over the next five years will be. I would not hate the pick, but I don't think it will be the best pick we can make, not based on "need" but based on actual ability to help a football team win games.

I would have been in favor of the Bills drafting Green if both the following were true: 1) they felt reasonably comfortable he'd play at or near a Hall of Fame level. 2) They didn't feel sure they could count on any available defensive front-7 players to play at or near the level they expected from Green.

I didn't see Green's workout myself, but if what you say is true it would significantly subtract from my comfort level about him. As far as I'm concerned, you can move a player down significantly because of a bad combine, but it's generally a mistake to elevate a player too much based on a good combine. There's more to being a good football player than just having good physical tools.

Julio Jones was already a Top 12 pick. I don't think he moved up too much, but there is no question Julio Jones is more than an athlete. He is almost as pro ready or arguably more so than AJ Green.

Just sayin' some people earlier thought there was only 1 WR in this draft when in reality AJ Green and Julio Jones are both more NFL ready than the average college WR.

What if Nick Fairley has been taken, AJ Green is still sitting there at #3 and no one wants to trade into the Bills pick?

This is a major dilemma, for I think that the Bills will certainly rue the day they select marginal talents like Miller, Dareus or whomever over Green.

LoL. Miller and Dareus are FAR from marginal talents. Both of them could be gone in the top 5 picks even if the Bills don't use their pick on either guy.

What dilemna?

You thank your lucky stars the BPA in the entire draft is still available. Then run up to the mic and announce you're taking Green before Carolina or Denver get a chance to say their pick was wrongly entered and they really selected Green.

We get it. You like Green. Must....Draft....Green. Will suck 4Evah if we Don't....Draft....Green

Of course, we'll also suck 4Evah if we don't draft Magical Franchise QB

We'll suck 4Evah if we don't improve our D

Decisions decisions

Julio Jones was already a Top 12 pick. I don't think he moved up too much, but there is no question Julio Jones is more than an athlete. He is almost as pro ready or arguably more so than AJ Green.

Just sayin' some people earlier thought there was only 1 WR in this draft when in reality AJ Green and Julio Jones are both more NFL ready than the average college WR.

Jones = Donte Stallworth

Green = Jerry Rice

You tell me who you'd want.

Jones = Donte Stallworth

Green = Jerry Rice

You tell me who you'd want.

Wouldn't want a rookie Rice or Stallworth on this roster in 2011. Two tiny, slow WRs that don't have a QB to throw to them. Especially not with the #3 overall pick.

If you want to make comparisons it's more like:

Green = Has the potential to be Andre Johnson

Jones = Has the potential to be Larrry Firzgerald

Which one do you want?

(You always out due yourself with outlandishness, nice work)

Edited by Why So Serious?

Wouldn't want a rookie Rice or Stallworth on this roster in 2011. Two tiny, slow WRs that don't have a QB to throw to them. Especially not with the #3 overall pick.

If you want to make comparisons it's more like:

Green = Has the potential to be Andre Johnson

Jones = Has the potential to be Larrry Firzgerald

Which one do you want?

(You always out due yourself with outlandishness, nice work)

Fitzgerald is admittedly not a fast receiver.

Stallworth had one of the fastest 40 times ever at the Combine of 4.29.

Jones had a fast time of 4.39.

Please get the facts straight before posting.

Thank you,

The Management

Fitzgerald is admittedly not a fast receiver.

Stallworth had one of the fastest 40 times ever at the Combine of 4.29.

Jones had a fast time of 4.39.

Please get the facts straight before posting.

Thank you,

The Management

I would say Julio Jones is more like TO less the crazy parts. AJ Green will probably be pretty good, but he has red flag character issues. He was suspended for the first few games this past season.

Yes on Jones/TO, or maybe a Bouldin type. Big guy who can run in a straight line, but hands aren't always the best.

Green got suspended for selling a jersey. I'd hardly put that in "red flag character issue" territory. Not with the other stuff that goes on out there. When that guy speaks, he's obviously very studied and committed to the WR position.