IMPACT!

in my opinion what we need on this team is not as simple as "we need this guy or that guy". what we need at #3 is exactly what buddy nix said, someone who will make an impact. we need a player that the opposition will have to account for on every snap. whether it's offense or defense, line or backfield or somewhere in between, we need a guy that is driven, self-motivated, explosive, exciting and most important just downright effective. who this mystery man is i have no idea...i can talk myself into anyone. but i just have to billieve in the staff to get this one right. so the question is...who can provide the biggest impact for this team at #3?

in my opinion what we need on this team is not as simple as "we need this guy or that guy". what we need at #3 is exactly what buddy nix said, someone who will make an impact. we need a player that the opposition will have to account for on every snap. whether it's offense or defense, line or backfield or somewhere in between, we need a guy that is driven, self-motivated, explosive, exciting and most important just downright effective. who this mystery man is i have no idea...i can talk myself into anyone. but i just have to billieve in the staff to get this one right. so the question is...who can provide the biggest impact for this team at #3?

In order...

1. Green - will provide the biggest NFL impact to whoever chooses him.

2. Fairley - if he keeps his head on straight, will be the next big impact guy.

Then there's the drop off to the guys who you hope will be making an impact...

3. Bowers - does he have the drive and passion?

4. Miller - does he have the size?

5. Peterson - is he really a safety?

6. Quinn - year off certainly won't help the impact factor.

...the hope thing follows after Quinn. Just get the feeling that there's your list of top impact guys (knowing full well that there will of course be big impact guys drafted much later than they should have been).

As for this team, it's either Miller, Green or Bowers. The reason I don't have Dareus anywhere here is while I think he's going to be a solid line player, I don't think he'll be very special at the next level.

this is the EXACT thing nix/gailey said for last years draft, need to draft an "impact player" in the first round...someone who could "contribute right away"...and they drafted Spiller...tell me, what was his impact?

im hoping they get that true "impact player" but ill remain pessimistic by nature as a bills fan....saying the right things and doing the right things are two stakly opposing accomplishments

In order...

1. Green - will provide the biggest NFL impact to whoever chooses him.

2. Fairley - if he keeps his head on straight, will be the next big impact guy.

Then there's the drop off to the guys who you hope will be making an impact...

3. Bowers - does he have the drive and passion?

4. Miller - does he have the size?

5. Peterson - is he really a safety?

6. Quinn - year off certainly won't help the impact factor.

...the hope thing follows after Quinn. Just get the feeling that there's your list of top impact guys (knowing full well that there will of course be big impact guys drafted much later than they should have been).

As for this team, it's either Miller, Green or Bowers. The reason I don't have Dareus anywhere here is while I think he's going to be a solid line player, I don't think he'll be very special at the next level.

With that in mind, I hope it's Bowers. No doubt Green can contribute right away, but so can Bowers and actually at a position of need. Miller scares me. He's a speed player, and NCAA speed doesn't translate well to the NFL success.

With that in mind, I hope it's Bowers. No doubt Green can contribute right away, but so can Bowers and actually at a position of need. Miller scares me. He's a speed player, and NCAA speed doesn't translate well to the NFL success.

Bowers is the worst choice of any. All the times I have seen him play this year which was three and I paid special attention to him knowing he was talked about alot, he sucked. Always got blown of the ball, didn't seem aggresive or like he was enjoying himself. And he plays at a position we don't really need (DE) this year. Reading other posters one comes to mind about how we got a lot of young D-linemen last year like Troupe (2nd round) Carrington (3rd round) and we need LB's this year. If you don't think the Joker (miller) isn't going to be an impact player right away your crazy. Watch Mathews play from Green Bay he is a duplicate crazy pass rusher, faster then Mathews and motor never stops.

which position will bowers play in the 3-4?

I was thinking of this after I read an article over at BuffaloRumblings - they laid out the Packers and the Steelers rosters, separating them into three catagories each (the Bills were graded, too). One catagory was elite players, one was good players, and the last were interchangeable.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/3/1972374/comparing-the-buffalo-bills-to-the-green-bay-packers

The obvious difference between our squads is a lack of just three or four elite players. It got me thinking. It takes three to five players to take away the oppositions run game - a D-line or front seven. It takes four to five players to take away an oppositions pass game. I was thinking about having two excellent shut down cornerbacks, and I started wondering - if you had one shut down corner, then you take away one side of the field. Revis/Bailey do that. With a guy out there like that, you know where the ball is going to go, if it's a pass.

As an example, cornerback has the potential to take away a big chunk of the field. That is impact. Is there any other position that can have that much of a total field influence? Maybe QB - as a good one can open up a bunch of field, and make a lot of things possible. Anyway, if Peterson can do that for us, that's something. I just really want to see a dominant front seven. I would rather us have a nasty D-line and linebacking corps, I think, that could take away the oppositions run game and terrorize their QB's, than have a better secondary. Maybe they can manage both?

ok i dont want to sound like a dick here... but isnt every team since day 1 is always looking for someone who will make an "impact"? I think bills need someone who we think will never impact us in anyway.. someone who will ride the bench blah blah blah... ya we did that with a couple of our first round picks, but their intentions were thinking he will be explosive...

this is the EXACT thing nix/gailey said for last years draft, need to draft an "impact player" in the first round...someone who could "contribute right away"...and they drafted Spiller...tell me, what was his impact?

im hoping they get that true "impact player" but ill remain pessimistic by nature as a bills fan....saying the right things and doing the right things are two stakly opposing accomplishments

Not every position is equal in terms of impact, which oughta be obvious to most fans. At 3, yeah sure they need an impact guy, but if it's not the next franchise QB, a DL or LT, it's a waste for this team. Fortifying their DL should be the name of the game seeing as how there isn't a top QB nor top flight LT available this draft.

Last year should have proved that taking players who require support like a RB does from their OL is stupid. AJ Green might be a great WR, but he needs an OL and then a QB to get him the ball. It's been talked about ad nauseam here, but build the lines, especially the high dollar positions of OT, DE, and DT/NT.